Gillette kinds sucks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Gillette kinds sucks?

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

There has been some discussion regarding the closing of the open end at Gillette yes? That may turn up the sound level a bit.

Some of the reduction is the clientele, and by design. Before Kraft bought the team, if you brought your kid's to the game, if they hadn't heard swearing they would be able to swear like Sailors on shore leave after the game. It was a rowdy crowd to say the least. Didn't the Pats get banned from MNF after a rather crazy game and post game donnybrook?

One of the first things Kraft addressed was this would change, and rightly so.

And I do give Kraft credit for funding up his own stadium. Imagine being a Taxpayer who state used your money to fund a stadium only to read that Goodell made 42 Million per...

I have always thought Boston fans to be very knowledgeable. why does making constant noise have to be paramount? Pats fans know when to make noise, and they do. Same at a C's game. Fenway gets a couple demerits however as they still do the wave :)  

In the old Schafer Stadium there were a few times that I was concerened about my safety with no shortage of alcohol fueled 20 year olds...it was like the concerts at the old Cape Cod Coliseum, great shows...I just hoped I'd get home in one piece.

Kids and Women will never be as loud as the ole gang, and BTW I'm glad that Kids and women can go and be safe there.

And perhaps the edge is gone a bit with some being spoiled over the years....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I just think it's kind of quiet there, the overall atmosphere in the stadium blows..it's different than it used to be. Now I'm not sure if it's the stadium itself that has caused this (rumor is you sit so far away from the action that it affects sound...and the design of the stadium causes sound to be lost), or if it's just that the Krafts have done such a nice job clearing out the riff raff that used to go to games there (loud drunks). I think it's a little bit of both.

I've been to several games there, I do agree it's not the same as the old stadium (in terms of noise, etc), but I think it's a pretty nice stadium. The area around it is very nice...the stores,the restaurants, etc...yet still I find that overall atmosphere to be lacking in what it used to be.

I can picture 5 different plans laying on Kraft's desk and him asking...."well guys which one is the cheapest?" Lead Architect answers...."I'm the one with that huge opening in the End Zone because the design isn't quite finished yet".  "I'll take it" replies Kraft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

well, I'd have to disagree.

I've been to Gillette, Tampa Bay and Miami's stadiums.

Miami's is crap. total garb imo. It looks all nice with the bright colors and palm trees around the outside but dont let it fool you. its so plain and the seats never fill.

Tampa is actually nice. Good fans there, good atmosphere and stadium isnt bad.

Gillette was the best. it  was louder than Tampa or Miami (granted i went during the SB years) but it was louder for sure. and it was the nicest as well.

my dad has been to Metlife and said its nice but just really big and plain. nothing much there

from where I've been : 1. Gillette 2. Tampa 3. Miami

Traffic wise: 1. Tampa 2. Gillette 3. Miami (its god awful, im not kidding)

Joe Robbie, or Sun Life..(Doliphins) or whatever the hell they call it now is the worst football stadium in this country. I've been to at least 12 games and 1st off they don't take credit card, 2nd they have 2 ATM's in the entire stadium and they are at opposite ends and 1 of them is almost ALWAYS broken which leads to a line of 30 or 40 people at the only working atm for cash only bars and food shacks of which most suck. This coupled with the bright orange seats and poor fan base and usually sorry team leads to a depressing sporting trip(especially because they somehow have had our number down there) 

I've been to Gillette several times and the job they have done with the entire place is first rate. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I remember well Schafer Stadium.  Last game I went to there was December 22, 1985 against the Bengals. My son and I froze our a_sses off but Pats won and went to get smoked in the SB by Da Bears.

My son was 15 and was able to put the obnoxious drunks in context.  That said, lack of noise was not a problem.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

My only problem with Gillette is, as others have indicated, traffic and parking.  I happen to think Gillette is quite a nice venue otherwise.

I am of the opinion that writers often throw something into print simply to generate controversy and this is just such a piece.

Yes, for sure, how in heck could you even think of a SB there? What a MESS that would be.

SB games belong in the city, good roads, good public transportation, good hotels and the like.

And I may be in the minority here but I happen to believe that SBs also belong in either warm weather cities or domes.   Why?  IMO, the SB should be a showcase for the best football that the surviving teams can play and that can best be played in an environment where the climate is moderate to begin with or controlled indoors.

Advantage for teams that play in good weather venues.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I just think it's kind of quiet there, the overall atmosphere in the stadium blows..it's different than it used to be. Now I'm not sure if it's the stadium itself that has caused this (rumor is you sit so far away from the action that it affects sound...and the design of the stadium causes sound to be lost), or if it's just that the Krafts have done such a nice job clearing out the riff raff that used to go to games there (loud drunks). I think it's a little bit of both.

I've been to several games there, I do agree it's not the same as the old stadium (in terms of noise, etc), but I think it's a pretty nice stadium. The area around it is very nice...the stores,the restaurants, etc...yet still I find that overall atmosphere to be lacking in what it used to be.

I can picture 5 different plans laying on Kraft's desk and him asking...."well guys which one is the cheapest?" Lead Architect answers...."I'm the one with that huge opening in the End Zone because the design isn't quite finished yet".  "I'll take it" replies Kraft.

haha yeah Kraft sucks! Nice work here tcal

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

My only problem with Gillette is, as others have indicated, traffic and parking.  I happen to think Gillette is quite a nice venue otherwise.

I am of the opinion that writers often throw something into print simply to generate controversy and this is just such a piece.

Yes, for sure, how in heck could you even think of a SB there? What a MESS that would be.

SB games belong in the city, good roads, good public transportation, good hotels and the like.

And I may be in the minority here but I happen to believe that SBs also belong in either warm weather cities or domes.   Why?  IMO, the SB should be a showcase for the best football that the surviving teams can play and that can best be played in an environment where the climate is moderate to begin with or controlled indoors.

Advantage for teams that play in good weather venues.

Don't disagree, Babe, but I have to believe that it really wouldn't have mattered if Denver/Seattle had been played indoors.  Broncs would have still gotten smoked.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Globe writer Eric Wilbur says the Razor kinda sucks. Do you agree?

I've been there a few times and it seems like a great stadium (A vast improvement over the old one, eh?). But I haven't been to any of these other newer stadiums. How does the Razor compare?

Wilber says...

"It’s not exactly like Kraft’s palace is on par with cold weather stadiums like MetLife in New Jersey and Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Yes, he spared taxpayers the borderline illegal burden of having to support an arena, as many other suckers have succumbed to. But really, Gillette is a second-rate NFL stadium.

Oh, the area around is great. If you want to buy some duds at Old Navy and a burger at Five Guys. The stadium though? It kinda sucks."

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2014/02/a_super_bowl_in_foxborough_worst_idea_ever.html

funny Met Life is one he states as top of the line but I have heard some grumbling about it from fans 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

haha yeah Kraft sucks! Nice work here tcal

Wasn't the opening at the end of the stadium done at the request of the original sponsor of the the stadium? They actually went out of business before the stadium even opened? I can't remember their name but I recall the opening and the tower?? were for them??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I have family that worked on the stadium in a management capacity. He says Kraft is a hard nosed business man that expects a lot for his dollar, but does not skimp on the end product.

While other owners are bleeding the taxpayer Kraft deserves credit for putting together something quite good with no public funds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

So, is Wilbur saying the taxpayers should have paid for the stadium and it would have been better?  Kraft builds a stadium with HIS money, while other teams go begging to the cities/states literally blackmailing them into building a stadium using taxpayer dollars.  I guess when it is not your money, you can complain.

actually I got the opposite impression: he was praising Kraft for using his money and saying one positive of the new stadium is that the tax payers didn't foot the bill

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Globe writer Eric Wilbur says the Razor kinda sucks. Do you agree?

I've been there a few times and it seems like a great stadium (A vast improvement over the old one, eh?). But I haven't been to any of these other newer stadiums. How does the Razor compare?

Wilber says...

"It’s not exactly like Kraft’s palace is on par with cold weather stadiums like MetLife in New Jersey and Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Yes, he spared taxpayers the borderline illegal burden of having to support an arena, as many other suckers have succumbed to. But really, Gillette is a second-rate NFL stadium.

Oh, the area around is great. If you want to buy some duds at Old Navy and a burger at Five Guys. The stadium though? It kinda sucks."

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2014/02/a_super_bowl_in_foxborough_worst_idea_ever.html

funny Met Life is one he states as top of the line but I have heard some grumbling about it from fans 

I'm sure all the newer stadiums are quite good, relatively speaking. I'm just puzzled as to why he says Razor "kinda sucks". He doesn't give details, which kinda destroys his credibility.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Wasn't the opening at the end of the stadium done at the request of the original sponsor of the the stadium? They actually went out of business before the stadium even opened? I can't remember their name but I recall the opening and the tower?? were for them??

LOL... it was originally CMGI stadium. They actually had road signs on RTES 95 and 495 with with CMGI on them that had to be changed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

The SB should be in warm weather cities, period. Miami, Tampa, LA, SD, New Orleans and if you want to get crazy, Vegas or maybe Orlando. It doesn't have to be in a city that has a team, does it?

I agree with the writer that Foxborough is not a proper venue. Not because of the stadium though. The stadiums (stadia?) in Miami, Tampa and SD are no better (but the weather sure is). They can dress up any stadium for a week.

i thought it worked out pretty well here in NY and they did it right from the weeklong celebrations and events, etc...right through the game and overall was a good success for the NFL and New York

that said with the recent spate of bitter cold and snow/ice the fact that we got a 37 degree day with no precipitation was a stroke of luck and I agree that warm-weather, clean field and the fact that u don't risk snow cold ice etc...it belongs indoors or in the warm weather

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In 1999, the team officially announced that it would remain in Foxboro, which led to Gillette Stadium's construction. Robert Kraft agreed to pay for the construction costs by himself.

Design
    On April 18, 2000, the team revealed plans for the new stadium in Foxboro. It was announced as a 68,000 seat stadium at a cost of $325 million, privately financed. Concurrently announced was a new road to access the stadium from U.S. Route 1, and an additional 3,000 parking spaces to accommodate the increased number of fans.

The stadium was designed by HOK Sports. Kraft wanted it modeled on M&T Bank Stadium which had opened in Baltimore, Maryland in 1998. Kraft insisted on it having a "front door" with a Disneyland-like entrance. HOK went through 200 designs before coming up with one that Kraft liked. The entrance includes a lighthouse (which was originally designed to shoot a light 2 miles (3.2 km) high) and a bridge modeled on Boston's Longfellow Bridge. The lighthouse and bridge are now featured on the stadium's logo.

For the first eight years of its existence the stadium used a videoboard, with a smaller LED scoreboard just beneath it, at each end of the field. The south side also had a large LED scoreboard in addition to the smaller one. In 2010, the stadium installed two new high definition videoboards to replace the entire previous setup at both ends. Gillette Stadium ranks first among all NFL venues in stadium food safety with a 0% critical violations. The Gillette Stadium food service, instead of being outsourced like most NFL teams, is run in-house and is led by the Patriots executive director of foods and beverage David Wheeler.

Gillette Stadium

Yeah...Gillette sucks.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

The SB should be in warm weather cities, period. Miami, Tampa, LA, SD, New Orleans and if you want to get crazy, Vegas or maybe Orlando. It doesn't have to be in a city that has a team, does it?

I agree with the writer that Foxborough is not a proper venue. Not because of the stadium though. The stadiums (stadia?) in Miami, Tampa and SD are no better (but the weather sure is). They can dress up any stadium for a week.

when was the SB ever played in cold weather?

Yet the SB and before that championship games were played in cold weather for decades and it didn't hurt thegame.

The ONLY reason why the NFL likes warm weather sites is because all the corporate sponsers prefer warm weather for their private tents and pregame events.

So is the Super Bowl for the real fans and teams or for the corporate sponsers and their non football fan mucky mucks?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

LOL... it was originally CMGI stadium. They actually had road signs on RTES 95 and 495 with with CMGI on them that had to be changed.

And the lighthouse was a symbol of the company that never meant anything to Gillette yes?

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Joe Robbie, or Sun Life..(Doliphins) or whatever the hell they call it now is the worst football stadium in this country. I've been to at least 12 games and 1st off they don't take credit card, 2nd they have 2 ATM's in the entire stadium and they are at opposite ends and 1 of them is almost ALWAYS broken which leads to a line of 30 or 40 people at the only working atm for cash only bars and food shacks of which most suck. This coupled with the bright orange seats and poor fan base and usually sorry team leads to a depressing sporting trip(especially because they somehow have had our number down there) 

I've been to Gillette several times and the job they have done with the entire place is first rate. 

+1 exactly what I'm saying. its s h i t. I hate the circle ramps on 4 corners. its very easy to get lost in the parking lot since the stadium is perfectly symmetrical

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

On tv it seems as if the fans never really get into the game at Gillette.  Must be the way it is built.  It doesn't seem the tean gets that home feel advantage crowd other teams get.  Seems like the crowd just isnt as passionate as othe crowds, imo.  That's how it comes across on tv, might be totally different live. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

And the lighthouse was a symbol of the company that never meant anything to Gillette yes?

That i'm not sure. I thought the lighthouse was supposed to symbolize the NE  sea coast but i could be wrong.

•  

In response to TFB12's comment:

On tv it seems as if the fans never really get into the game at Gillette.  Must be the way it is built.  It doesn't seem the tean gets that home feel advantage crowd other teams get.  Seems like the crowd just isnt as passionate as othe crowds, imo.  That's how it comes across on tv, might be totally different live. 

We have the best home record in the league since we started playing in Gillette.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

That i'm not sure. I thought the lighthouse was supposed to symbolize the NE  sea coast but i could be wrong.

You might be right. I have no clue. Thanks for the info!

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In 1999, the team officially announced that it would remain in Foxboro, which led to Gillette Stadium's construction. Robert Kraft agreed to pay for the construction costs by himself.

Design
    On April 18, 2000, the team revealed plans for the new stadium in Foxboro. It was announced as a 68,000 seat stadium at a cost of $325 million, privately financed. Concurrently announced was a new road to access the stadium from U.S. Route 1, and an additional 3,000 parking spaces to accommodate the increased number of fans.

The stadium was designed by HOK Sports. Kraft wanted it modeled on M&T Bank Stadium which had opened in Baltimore, Maryland in 1998. Kraft insisted on it having a "front door" with a Disneyland-like entrance. HOK went through 200 designs before coming up with one that Kraft liked. The entrance includes a lighthouse (which was originally designed to shoot a light 2 miles (3.2 km) high) and a bridge modeled on Boston's Longfellow Bridge. The lighthouse and bridge are now featured on the stadium's logo.

For the first eight years of its existence the stadium used a videoboard, with a smaller LED scoreboard just beneath it, at each end of the field. The south side also had a large LED scoreboard in addition to the smaller one. In 2010, the stadium installed two new high definition videoboards to replace the entire previous setup at both ends. Gillette Stadium ranks first among all NFL venues in stadium food safety with a 0% critical violations. The Gillette Stadium food service, instead of being outsourced like most NFL teams, is run in-house and is led by the Patriots executive director of foods and beverage David Wheeler.

Gillette Stadium

Yeah...Gillette sucks.

I will have to re read Wilburs piece, but is the premise he is attempting to make that Gillette sucks because of the Foxboro/Boston/traffic/hotels situation for a SB venue? Is he saying the stadium itself is a POShat? 

Some say the light house is a sign of the Free masons....

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

We have the best home record in the league since we started playing in Gillette.

also have a great HC and QB. we win alot anyways idk if the noise has too much to do with it or just BB gets more time to prep instead of travel

• Sections
    Shortcuts