Gillette kinds sucks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Gillette kinds sucks?

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

The SB should be in warm weather cities, period. Miami, Tampa, LA, SD, New Orleans and if you want to get crazy, Vegas or maybe Orlando. It doesn't have to be in a city that has a team, does it?

I agree with the writer that Foxborough is not a proper venue. Not because of the stadium though. The stadiums (stadia?) in Miami, Tampa and SD are no better (but the weather sure is). They can dress up any stadium for a week.

Why should it be? BC you think so! Please cold weather is part of a purist football point of view ...either in Gillette or elsewhere.

Quoting what I posted earlier in this thread:

. . . . . I happen to believe that SBs also belong in either warm weather cities or domes.   Why?  IMO, the SB should be a showcase for the best football that the surviving teams can play and that can best be played in an environment where the climate is moderate to begin with or controlled indoors.

No, no, that's nice but it's not that. It's because I think so. He was right...can't get one past ol' Brady2Welker47.

There I go overthinking it again. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

only in New England do we b1tch that our 3 time super bowl champoion team su cks and our new football stadium su cks compared to the old one with bench seats and was falling apart.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Wasn't the opening at the end of the stadium done at the request of the original sponsor of the the stadium? They actually went out of business before the stadium even opened? I can't remember their name but I recall the opening and the tower?? were for them??

LOL... it was originally CMGI stadium. They actually had road signs on RTES 95 and 495 with with CMGI on them that had to be changed.

And the lighthouse was a symbol of the company that never meant anything to Gillette yes?

That i'm not sure. I thought the lighthouse was supposed to symbolize the NE  sea coast but i could be wrong.

That's what Kraft said when it was built and also what the Gillette web site says.  Personally, though, I've always guessed the architect was thinking of the steeple of the Old North Church (one if by land, two if by sea) and the North Bridge in Lexington (shot heard round the world). I mean what better symbols to represent all New England Patriots! 

And both are in the north endzone . . 

This seems so obvious to me, I wonder why they came up with the whole seacoast thing as an explanation.  Were they worried that people might be offended by them appropriating those national symbols as their own? 

That's an interesting take on the architecture being a  steeple or the Old North Church seeing Kraft is Jewish. Not that it would matter if he was looking to capture the symbolism for the region.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Wasn't the opening at the end of the stadium done at the request of the original sponsor of the the stadium? They actually went out of business before the stadium even opened? I can't remember their name but I recall the opening and the tower?? were for them??

LOL... it was originally CMGI stadium. They actually had road signs on RTES 95 and 495 with with CMGI on them that had to be changed.

And the lighthouse was a symbol of the company that never meant anything to Gillette yes?

That i'm not sure. I thought the lighthouse was supposed to symbolize the NE  sea coast but i could be wrong.

That's what Kraft said when it was built and also what the Gillette web site says.  Personally, though, I've always guessed the architect was thinking of the steeple of the Old North Church (one if by land, two if by sea) and the North Bridge in Lexington (shot heard round the world). I mean what better symbols to represent all New England Patriots! 

This seems so obvious to me, I wonder why they came up with the whole seacoast thing as an explanation.  Were they worried that people might be offended by them appropriating those national symbols as their own? 

That's an interesting take on the architecture being a  steeple or the Old North Church seeing Kraft is Jewish. Not that it would matter if he was looking to capture the symbolism for the region.

From Longfellow's Ride of Paul Revere . . .

Listen my children and you shall hear
    Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
    On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;
    Hardly a man is now alive
    Who remembers that famous day and year.

He said to his friend, "If the British march
    By land or sea from the town to-night,
    Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry arch
    Of the North Church tower as a signal light,--
    One if by land, and two if by sea;
    And I on the opposite shore will be,
    Ready to ride and spread the alarm
    Through every Middlesex village and farm,
    For the country folk to be up and to arm."

And from Emerson's Concord Hymn

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
    Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
    Here once the embattled farmers stood,
    And fired the shot heard round the world.

Two seminal symbols of New England-based patriotism at the beginning of the Revolution.  How could this not be what was intended?  Maybe Kraft was reluctant to have something suggesting a church bell tower as the symbol for his stadium, but in this context its meaning is secular and patriotic, not religious.  I have trouble believing that the original intent by the architect was anything other than to suggest these two icons of New England's patriotic contribution to the start of the American Revolution.  What's more perfect for the home of two New England teams called the Patriots and the Revolution?  A seascape?  Maybe as a secondary theme, but that can't be the primary meaning. 

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

•  

From Longfellow's Ride of Paul Revere . . .

Listen my children and you shall hear
    Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
    On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;
    Hardly a man is now alive
    Who remembers that famous day and year.

He said to his friend, "If the British march
    By land or sea from the town to-night,
    Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry arch
    Of the North Church tower as a signal light,--
    One if by land, and two if by sea;
    And I on the opposite shore will be,
    Ready to ride and spread the alarm
    Through every Middlesex village and farm,
    For the country folk to be up and to arm."

And from Emerson's Concord Hymn

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
    Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
    Here once the embattled farmers stood,
    And fired the shot heard round the world.

Two seminal symbols of New England-based patriotism at the beginning of the Revolution.  How could this not be what was intended?  Maybe Kraft was reluctant to have something suggesting a church bell tower as the symbol for his stadium, but in this context its meaning is secular and patriotic, not religious.  I have trouble believing that the original intent by the architect was anything other than to suggest these two icons of New England's patriotic contribution to the start of the American Revolution.  What's more perfect for the home of two New England teams called the Patriots and the Revolution?  A seascape?  Maybe as a secondary theme, but that can't be the primary meaning. 

Your reasoning is just as plausible as any of these.

http://lighthousestars.wordpress.com/2007/09/29/gillette-stadium-lighthouse/

http://archive.is/7Clwh

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The stadium's official web site also says the lighthouse and bridge are symbols of New England's seacoast, so it's certainly the official story.  Still, I can't help thinking the architect had to have in mind the Old North Church and the North Bridge in Concord when he or she began the concept, even if it evolved into more of a seascape with time or discussion with the Krafts.  It seems so blatantly obvious to me, could it possibly have been overlooked by even a half-way creative architect? 

• This post has been removed.

• Sections
    Shortcuts