Gillette

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Gillette

Had my first look at the place last Sundat working on the Taylor Swift concert. Wow! It sure a'int Schaefer. Hoping to see the Pats play there this fall.

It's great to be back home in Massachustts!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Gillette

It's an awesome stadium.  Certainly is a lot better than the old slabs of concrete!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

It's an awesome stadium.  Certainly is a lot better than the old slabs of concrete!

Wait, you don't miss the metal benches instead of seats? Or the old wood benches way in the back that left splinters in your butt?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Wait, you don't miss the metal benches instead of seats? Or the old wood benches way in the back that left splinters in your butt?

I miss the available and cheap tickets.

I was at the 2nd game played at the new stadium in 2002. It was awesome. That was the last game I attended.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

God that old stadium was pretty bad, wasn't it? I had season tickets there and all it was was concrete and metal. One time (before season tickets) I had some terrible seats (last row at the top)...there was a metal fence behind us holding us from falling to our deaths...arc lightning started to form on the horizon and I was thinking...it's going to hit this fence and we're all going to fry. The game got delayed for 15 minutes. There were fights constantly in my section. The parking lot was like Mad Max...I once saw a guy go into the porter potty and have the thing get tipped by 10 drunk guys.

The old place was not a place you would dare take your family or girlfriend. It's a much better place now, but it's a little too quiet during the game. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Didn't get to the seats. Everything I did was on the stage and at field level. Hoping to get to sit down for a game there sometime. When I do, I doubt I'll miss those benches. Ugh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

God that old stadium was pretty bad, wasn't it? I had season tickets there and all it was was concrete and metal. One time (before season tickets) I had some terrible seats (last row at the top)...there was a metal fence behind us holding us from falling to our deaths...arc lightning started to form on the horizon and I was thinking...it's going to hit this fence and we're all going to fry. The game got delayed for 15 minutes. There were fights constantly in my section. The parking lot was like Mad Max...I once saw a guy go into the porter potty and have the thing get tipped by 10 drunk guys.

The old place was not a place you would dare take your family or girlfriend. It's a much better place now, but it's a little too quiet during the game. 

I remember going to aconcert there. Edgar Winter was warming up for Humble Pie when a huge thunder storm broke out. The place went nuts. People went under the fild tarp to get out of the rain and others started slidig aroubd on the little hills they made. Th Emcee got p*ssed and started threatening to fight the entire crowd. To calm things down Frampton came out and said "Come back tomorrow night and we'll play our a**es off for ya." Did they ever! Sometimes I still miss the 70's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

lol sounds right. My dad had season tickets and we sat about 15 rows behind were Kraft had his tickets (back when he sat in the bleachers with us slobs). Even as a kid I saw those faces and saw people bouncing off of them and wondered how no one ever broke through and fell to their deaths. That stadium had to be one of the unsafest in the league by far and away. I still remember when they were repairing wiring in our sections bathroom and live wires exposed to the trough with 30 guys just about peeing on it. Heck guys would drunkenly wobble into it and would jump backwards spraying people. Yeah ticket prices suck and I can only go to a game maybe once every 2 years but I'd still rather have the new stadium than affordable tickets to the old one.

BTW mad max would be civilized compared to the parking lots back then. I loved people flying 40-50mph through the parking lot cutting through open spaces to jump the exit line. All you needed was a bunch of Raiders costumes and the parking lot would resemble New Jersey

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Obviously the amennities are superior in the new stadium compared to the old but the old stadium rocked (sometimes literally) during big games.  As far as being in attendance 2 of my top 10 most memorable games occured at the old staium. The AFCCG against Jax in Jan 97 and the snow bowl against the raiders.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Went to a nightgame there at the old stadium....was with a group of about ten guys...we had to walk from South Walpole so we decided NOT to drink before hand...the parking lot in those days was like Dodge City...walking through the parking lot we saw a group of tailgating guys harrassing two young ladies...we intervened in a way I'd never have to do now...thought we were going to have a serious problem but there were too many of us....cops didn't want to hear about it....totally different now...only real difference now from then...it didn't cost a weeks pay to go to a game....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

Went to a nightgame there at the old stadium....was with a group of about ten guys...we had to walk from South Walpole so we decided NOT to drink before hand...the parking lot in those days was like Dodge City...walking through the parking lot we saw a group of tailgating guys harrassing two young ladies...we intervened in a way I'd never have to do now...thought we were going to have a serious problem but there were too many of us....cops didn't want to hear about it....totally different now...only real difference now from then...it didn't cost a weeks pay to go to a game....

Yeah the parking lot was a sight to see in those days - really it's still pretty interesting - but the Krafts have tried their best to clean things up. I can remember people trying to play football while tail gating (no longer allowed now), the ball would sail through the air and end up through some poor guy's windshield...people would be falling into grills...it was pretty funny.

I can only imagine what it's like to clean up that place after a game. One time I had to leave early and I had this charcoal grill I had just bought, I went out there at half time to leave and put my arms around it to empty the thing and nearly burnt my shirt off...I just left it there. It probably still had chicken wings on it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I like the atmosphere at the old Schaeffer Stadium much better. The current stadium is either like a morgue or everything is choreographed as to how and when to cheer. The slogan "another Patriot 1st Down!" led on PA is something out of a bad Catholic grammar school. I prefer the alive-ness, if not anarchy of the old stadium. I don't give a crap about the poor conditions, I miss the raucus crowds and free energy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

I like the atmosphere at the old Schaeffer Stadium much better. The current stadium is either like a morgue or everything is choreographed as to how and when to cheer. The slogan "another Patriot 1st Down!" led on PA is something out of a bad Catholic grammar school. I prefer the alive-ness, if not anarchy of the old stadium. I don't give a crap about the poor conditions, I miss the raucus crowds and free energy.

That was probably due to the amount of alcohol consumed and ofcourse lax security.

I have to admit that every game I went to I got totally shyt-faced.  I was much younger then so forgive me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I remember how cold those metal bench seats were...and if it rained, the water would flow through the tiny grooves, and you were soaked. Good times....

The biggest difference in crowd noise is the type of fans that now go to the games. The blue collar crowd that used to dominate the stands, are no longer able to afford to go. Half the seats are corporate tickets, that get handed to casual fans that are more interested in shrimp cocktail than screaming their heads off when the defense is on the field.

No way I would have brought my son to a game back then....the f bombs were just part of the atmosphere in the stands.......not any more. I absolutely love the new stadium, it is truly amazing to experience.....but the fair weather fans that come with the high price of going to a game these days is pretty lame.

Seeing the amount of the red club seats empty at any of the cold games just makes me sick. Two thumbs up for a beautiful stadium, but the fans these days just suck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The old stadium kept the team in New England. The league was going to force them to move if they didn't have a minimum 60k capacity stadium. The thing cost $7 million to build. You were expecting a palace for that? Far worse than the stadium were the parking lot and the road to it.

The Tuck game was the last one played at the old stadium.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Babe

Thanks for the perspective. I didn't know the Pats were under mandate to build or leave NE. I am glad I got to experience those cold steel benches!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Those aluminum benches in December certainly did get your attention as did the many Route 1 traffic disasters.   Gillette is to Shaeffer as Lamberghini is to Yugo.

I, too, recall the NFL mandate.  Didn't stop me from b1tching about the stadium though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

In response to NYC's comment:

That was probably due to the amount of alcohol consumed and ofcourse lax security.

I have to admit that every game I went to I got totally shyt-faced.  I was much younger then so forgive me.

Don't get me wrong...we spent many a morning before the game and early evenings after enjoying our alcheehaullll and grilled comestibles...I vividly remember slowly pouring a 16 oz. beer into a sliced open sausage...lmao..THAT was an incredible hunk of swine...why hurry to leave, it was going to take hours to make it home after a game from that parking lot....there was plenty of booze, food and "Other" things to imbibe...what fun we had there when I was much younger...couldn't handle all that now...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Tickets....(at least) $150-200 each.......parking $50.......food & beers...$100......traffic coming in or leaving = complete clusterfvck.

No wonder why most of us don't bother anymore when we can be comfy in front of the big screen at home.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Taylor Swift put on a good show.  Took the family to Met Life Stadium and the girls loved it.  Met Life is a Sweet stadium.

Sections
Shortcuts