Give it up for Curtis Martin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Give it up for Curtis Martin

In Response to Re: Give it up for Curtis Martin:
    The guy gets screwed for years under his rookie contract. Plays at an All Pro/ HOF level while getting paid as a 3rd or fourth round draft choice. Never held out for what he deserved. Never even said a word about his unfair contract. The Pats never rewarded him and then drug their feet when he became a free agent. Signing Ted Johnson to a multiyear deal first. The Pats used and abused him. And that means nothing to you people? All you can say is "F Curtis Martin"? You want to whine because he went somewhere and got paid? Like he owes you people something? Nevermind the fact that he was one of the classiest guys to ever play for the Pats and probably the most talented. Talk about rooting for laundry. I'm betting some of you same people have no problem rooting for a P.O.S like Stallworth as long as he's wearing a Pats uniform. If all you are rooting for is the jersey, what's the point?
    Posted by BDCMAJ

At least one person gets it.

If you blame him, you blame Fisk too.

This was one of the things that Kraft really fumbled. He was transitioning from Parells to Carroll, and priorities obviously weren't straight, otherwise he'd have been signed well before it got to that.

Or, conspiracy theorists could say Parcells submarined that knowing long ago he wasn't staying past 96, I don't know.

But to blame Martin is juvenile.

People around here still celebrate Moss, and Martin gets 'f him' all day?

Martin is the kind of player that did everything RIGHT, and we've got a bunch of people acting like dumped boyfriends. Regardless of what teams he played for, Curtis Martin should be held up as an example for every rookie to follow. I'll never forget how HE won us a playoff game against CLE and Belichick on a second effort, stretching, reaching plunge over the line after getting bounced back.

If I was starting a franchise, I'd feel pretty d a m n good with a 24 year old Martin standing in my backfield.

Thank you for you time in NE Curtis, and thank you for being a good role model in a league full of thugs, alcoholics, and selfish egomaniacs.

I expect better form my Patriot brethren. I KNOW you're (mostly) all smarter than this, I've read enough posts over the years. Don't let recent disdain for the Jets taint what a great player/man Martin still is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

We still celebrate Izzo, Ty Law and all the others who went to NYC as well.

On top of that, it was a business decision by the Patriots. It wasn't a terrible call for them or for Martin. He was offered a 6 year 36 million contract. That's not outrageous, but the Pats still didn't match, and they shouldn't have. Since he was a restricted free agent, they got back draft picks in the first and third rounds. It was one of the first Poison Pill contracts though. If the Pats had matched, he would have been an unrestricted free agent after 1 season and the Pats would have gotten nothing. So they went with the picks which turned into Robert Edwards (who would have been great if not for that knee injury during Pro Bowl week) and Chris Floyd who never really turned into anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Give it up for Curtis Martin : At least one person gets it. If you blame him, you blame Fisk too. This was one of the things that Kraft really fumbled. He was transitioning from Parells to Carroll, and priorities obviously weren't straight, otherwise he'd have been signed well before it got to that. Or, conspiracy theorists could say Parcells submarined that knowing long ago he wasn't staying past 96, I don't know. But to blame Martin is juvenile. People around here still celebrate Moss, and Martin gets 'f him' all day? Martin is the kind of player that did everything RIGHT, and we've got a bunch of people acting like dumped boyfriends. Regardless of what teams he played for, Curtis Martin should be held up as an example for every rookie to follow. I'll never forget how HE won us a playoff game against CLE and Belichick on a second effort, stretching, reaching plunge over the line after getting bounced back. If I was starting a franchise, I'd feel pretty d a m n good with a 24 year old Martin standing in my backfield. Thank you for you time in NE Curtis, and thank you for being a good role model in a league full of thugs, alcoholics, and selfish egomaniacs. I expect better form my Patriot brethren. I KNOW you're (mostly) all smarter than this, I've read enough posts over the years. Don't let recent disdain for the Jets taint what a great player/man Martin still is.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

You act like he cured cancer or something.  You know why people cheer for players in Pats uniforms?  Because they're Pats fans.  If you want to cheer for good people go to the fire department or the convent and cheer them on. 

Martin didn't like football, he said so in his HOF speech.  It was just a paycheck to him.  Love him if you want, but he didn't feel the same.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Martin was an exceptional player and a very decent person, andd I think we can all acknowledge that. But honestly, I always thought he lacked a champion's heart. He seemed very attached to Parcells-almost to the point of preferring to be with Parcells over being with a winning team. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sure he was ever a true winner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMAJ. Show BDCMAJ's posts

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't hate the Jets. It's impossible to take them seriously. I mean come on, they're the Jets. They were never a threat to us. Yes they knocked us out of the playoffs once. But we played like crap. We would have lost to anybody that day. I compare it to the Denver game in 05. That game was more about the Pats than anything the Jets did. If I had any animosity towards the Jets it was because of them stealing Curtis Martin from us. I will never forgive that overrated tub o' lard Parcells for that.

And as for Robert Edwards I was never really a fan. He was a slow, out of shape load. I still remember that game against St Louis where he had 199 yards but we lost because he couldn't finish off two 50 plus yard runs. Got chased down from behind. When was the last time you saw that happen to a halfback? He even admitted after the game he was out of shape. In like, week 7.

Yet Curtis Martin (who didn't even like football) came to work prepared every single day. That's all any fan could ask for. How his passion for the game relates to his respect and appreciation for the fans is beyond me. If Richard Seymour or Terry Glenn, to name a couple, had Martin's dedication to the game and work ethic we would be talking about two first ballot Hall of Famers. So I don't see how his love of football has any bearing on anything since he never disrespected the fans or his teammates by coming to work unprepared or taking plays off.

And to Babe: You're tired of a one way street? The only one way street in the league runs in the direction of ownership. These player outperform their contracts and it's just TFB? Give me a break. Unfortunately there are some idiot teams that agree with you. Like the Eagles for example and make the players fight for what is fair. And players that are busts get cut. This isn't MLB. For every Jamarcus Russell there are 1000 kids and vets that get cut without seeing a dime of bonus money.

And the fact that you don't think Martin deserves credit for playing for 1/20th of his market value without so much as a peep about his contract tells me how ridiculously pro management you are. It's a biased and completely unreasonable position. Especially in this day and age when guys are holding out every other year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"We still celebrate Izzo, Ty Law and all the others who went to NYC as well."

Izzo, who the hell celebrates Izzo?????????
    Ty Law, F him and his hungry kids!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Martin went to the jets because of parcells not money

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

"We still celebrate Izzo, Ty Law and all the others who went to NYC as well." Izzo, who the hell celebrates Izzo????????? Ty Law, F him and his hungry kids!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by tcal2-

+1

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

"We still celebrate Izzo, Ty Law and all the others who went to NYC as well." Izzo, who the hell celebrates Izzo????????? Ty Law, F him and his hungry kids!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by tcal2-

A lot of that depends on how many years they put in as a Pat and what big thing they might have done while here.

Such as in the latter case, if Asante had actually caught the pick on '07 he would be loved no matter where he went.

The subject at hand walked after his rookie contract. Apples and oranges.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

The only thing I remember about Izzo is Willie punching him on the sideline for blowing an assignment 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

I love this discussion board. Makes my day.... No such thing as a peaceful conversation, or straight up football talk...its literally like fighting with a menstruating woman 24/7....every discussion topic I click on has the same 5 JitBags arguing and whining for no reason, just for the sake of opposing people who wanna share/start a discussion...I LOVE IT!! like if this is how these toolbags are in real life, I wonder how many times they've had the yellow slapped off their teeth....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I love this discussion board. Makes my day.... No such thing as a peaceful conversation, or straight up football talk...its literally like fighting with a menstruating woman 24/7....every discussion topic I click on has the same 5 JitBags arguing and whining for no reason, just for the sake of opposing people who wanna share/start a discussion...I LOVE IT!! like if this is how these toolbags are in real life, I wonder how many times they've had the yellow slapped off their teeth....
    Posted by ReeGzUSMC

Funny how people come into a thread and whine about what others discuss then call them whiners, JitBag.

Why don't you start another thread about how Brady isn't clutch anymore and then wonder why people argue. Dufus.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

WOW someone feels guilty I assume? Its called having a discussion, not thinking You know more than everyone, and talking like your hardcore (from behind a monitor, keyboard, where you're safe)....If you argue this much with strangers face to face in real life....wonder how many beer bottles you've had smashed over your face....Babe  Wink... P.S. Just because you have 6,000 posts does'nt mean you know ANYTHING more than anyone about football....just means you need a job. and one that does'nt allow you to hover on the discussion boards on Boston.com all day trying to stir stuff up and sling your AMAZING "Football Knowledge"....Moving on..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

WOW someone feels guilty I assume? Its called having a discussion, not thinking You know more than everyone, and talking like your hardcore (from behind a monitor, keyboard, where you're safe)....If you argue this much with strangers face to face in real life....wonder how many beer bottles you've had smashed over your face....Babe  ... P.S. Just because you have 6,000 posts does'nt mean you know ANYTHING more than anyone about football....just means you need a job. and one that does'nt allow you to hover on the discussion boards on Boston.com all day trying to stir stuff up and sling your AMAZING "Football Knowledge"....Moving on..
    Posted by ReeGzUSMC

What would you do if I wasn't behind a keyboard and told you that you are a moron for saying Brady has become a choke artist?

I don't argue with many people here at all. There are only a handful of stalwart imbeciles that need be confronted. I argue to the greatest degree with posters who constantly slam Brady's play, slam BB's coaching and try to say the 31st ranked defense was good. Other than that I'm docile as a lamb.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

Well, does'nt seem that way... and just as you did with my "Brady has become a choke artist" post....You turn it around and say I'm saying the guy sux. Clearly I do not think that. I am bringing up a point, that maybe in recent years, Brady has NOT had the same success in Post season games as he once did. What's wrong with saying that? I still think he is Top 5 QB in the league, Still my fav of all time, but I'm not going to be one of these fans who won't ever admit that a player has issues, or whatever. But its whatever sir. Its Game one of Preseason today, and I'm stoked. Good day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Posted by ReeGzUSMC

+ a grand or so...

Let's go pats!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Well, does'nt seem that way... and just as you did with my "Brady has become a choke artist" post....You turn it around and say I'm saying the guy sux. Clearly I do not think that. I am bringing up a point, that maybe in recent years, Brady has NOT had the same success in Post season games as he once did. What's wrong with saying that? I still think he is Top 5 QB in the league, Still my fav of all time, but I'm not going to be one of these fans who won't ever admit that a player has issues, or whatever. But its whatever sir. Its Game one of Preseason today, and I'm stoked. Good day.
    Posted by ReeGzUSMC

The problem with all this is you're wrong. And that is apt to evoke some less than flattering reply from those of us who are sick of this great player being wrongly maigned.

Now tell us who the 4 QBs currently playing are that you think are better than Brady. Since he's your favorite of all-time these amazing four guys must be clearly better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

In Response to Re: Give it up for Curtis Martin : The problem with all this is you're wrong. And that is apt to evoke some less than flattering reply from those of us who are sick of this great player being wrongly maigned. Now tell us who the 4 QBs currently playing are that you think are better than Brady. Since he's your favorite of all-time these amazing four guys must be clearly better.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Just Because I say He's TOP 5, does'nt mean he's automatically 5th on that list lol Your reaching for an argument now.....like a miserable wife after a long day....It's obvious who stands with Brady in the "Elite" QB discussion. Brady,Rodgers,Brees....and when it comes to getting the job done in the POST SEASON....gotta tip your cap to Eli Manning.....uh-oh....I gave credit where it was due.....Guess im not a true Pats fan now....darn it....castrate me. the discussion I started was based on the FACT that since 07....we have had: 08 (no Brady),09:First round BLOWOUT vs. Baltimore on home field in which Brady threw 3 picks, finished with a 40-something QB rtg. :2010:First round exit to the Jets on Home Field again in a lousy game where the offense played with Zero urgency (I was at the Game and everyone was yelling at the Offense because they were down late in the 4th Qtr and were showing no signs of hurrying to score..) 2011: Blew out Tim Tebow and Broncos, Played like CRAP against Baltimore (0TDs-2Picks), and the Superbowl I believe he DID play possibly well enough in the second half to win the game, but bonehead plays ultimately decided their fate. So I guess you will brew up a cute little counter to my argument about how I'm foolish to think Brady isn't God in human form on a football field, or how These facts I just listed are BS....or how it's Not possible that there are possibly better QBs in the clutch in BIG games nowa days...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davedsone2. Show davedsone2's posts

I'm with the F him crowd.  He followed Rotten Tuna out the door, and was soooo smarmy in interviews afterward.  I'll NEVER get over those Jest victories.  NO love for Curtis "ME" Martin.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

F him the ringless traitor 
    Posted by harleyroadking12

Excellent summary of C. Martin's career.  He THOUGHT he hitched his cart to the right horse, but he was WRONG.  B. Kraft got it right, and B. Belichick realized he'd rather work for Kraft than continue with the circus in N.Y.  Martin foolishly stayed in the limelight and paid the ultimate price.  I can remember some interviewer (female) meeting him at his swanky NY apartment, and him going on about his art collection.  He just came across as a cheesy self promoter.  That is how I remember him.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: Give it up for Curtis Martin : At Magnolia Manor's, sprawling grounds, Babe is in the special ward where he believes he actualy is married to Tom Brady.   They're actually considering renaming to the Babe Parilli and Tom Brady virtual obsession ward, where his friends Pezz, Prolate, Mt Hurl and others will soon join him. So, he channels Giselle and anyone who remotely has anything objectively critical to add regarding Brady's postseasons in recent years is a troll or a moron. Babe watches games comepletely different than what we watch, didn't you know? God forbid anyone scratch their head wondering just what happend to the old Tom Brady.
    Posted by CliffordWasHere

Much like Clifford the Big Red Dog, all you leave behind are big, stinking, piles of $h1t.  

Sections
Shortcuts