Give me Tavon Austin!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Give me Tavon Austin!

If you don't sign Wes Welker I want Tavon Austin on this team starting next season in Welkers spot!  And spend the Welker money on a serious deep threat!   There will still be money to get a solid CB on defense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Give me Tavon Austin!

In response to TFB12's comment:

If you don't sign Wes Welker I want Tavon Austin on this team starting next season in Welkers spot!  And spend the Welker money on a serious deep threat!   There will still be money to get a solid CB on defense.

Well, he's certainly got the speed.  Receptions, yards, 11.3 pp is not to shabby.  Neither were the 12 TD's last year.  8.9 ypc rushing too and 3 more Td's and  4 kr td's to boot

Could be the plan if still available,  especially if they could pick up some secondary help too.

Hate to lose Welker but.... this does make sense

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I agree with Austin pick. He is not a true number 1 receiver, but the kid can't be touched in the open field. He is only 5-8 and 174lbs, but he doesn't have an injury history and he is very strong for his size I think he put up something like 14 reps at 225lbs. Even with Welker, the Pats could utilize this kid all over the field. He can return kickoffs, punts, line up in the backfield and slot. He also has enough speed to run the deep route. I know we have Edelman and Demps but I think we would be sorry to pass on this kid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Yeah this kid is amazing, can do everything but I`m not sure if he will be avaible in the 29, I think the Texans will get him in the 27th

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Yeah this kid is amazing, can do everything but I`m not sure if he will be avaible in the 29, I think the Texans will get him in the 27th

That would make sense. The Texans have nothing at WR besides Andre Johnson (Owen Daniels is a TE).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Sign Wes, get Austin, then start them with Woodhead, Vereen, Branch, Demps and Edelman and we can have Tom Brady and the 7 dwafts!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Don't know if he'd be there where we pick after he ran that 40 today, at the very least he may push a quality player back for us. I can picture this guy playing in the dome for the Colts and making life miserable for the Texans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Don't know if he'd be there where we pick after he ran that 40 today, at the very least he may push a quality player back for us. I can picture this guy playing in the dome for the Colts and making life miserable for the Texans.

The Colts have a slot reciever with rookie TY Hilton. Hilton made lots of plays at the end of the season, dont see them making that pick. He would be a nice pick for the Pats but we will have to see what the Pats do during free agency first to see what the teams biggest needs are.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

As a Mountaineer season ticket holder I've been amazed by the skills of Tavon Austin and his big play ability.  In the open field he is unstopable......hell he along had something like 600 yards of total offense against Oklahoma.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He'd make a perfect Welker replacement but I don't want to spend a 1st to replace Welker, don't see that as improving the team. Rather spend the 1st on an interior rushing DT given that you can find some real talented WRs in the 2nd-4th range. Check out Wheaton, Wilson, and Rogers. Wheaton provides more size then Austin, slightly slower but is more of an X WR

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

If we take a 5' 8" Munchkin over an inside DT with our 1st rounder I'm gonna have a stroke for criss sakes..........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

If we take a 5' 8" Munchkin over an inside DT with our 1st rounder I'm gonna have a stroke for criss sakes..........

Ha ha that's exactly what I thought 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

The Colts have a slot reciever with rookie TY Hilton. Hilton made lots of plays at the end of the season, dont see them making that pick. He would be a nice pick for the Pats but we will have to see what the Pats do during free agency first to see what the teams biggest needs are.

Forgot about Hilton - nice draft pick for them - good value, ran a 4.3 and had 50 catches. Probably good evidence that we shouldn't pick Austin in the first if the colts can get a guy like Hilton in the third.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

THHIIIISSS!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

BB should be fired seconds after picking a goddamn slot WR when the defense needs as much help as possible.

DT, SS, another pass rusher are all higher priorities than WR, and if the Patriots are going to take a WR so damn high he better be taller than 6'0!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I feel about Austin the way I do about Welker.  They are great players and do/will put up great numbers.  However our team weakness has been in the redzone and we need a tall WR that can get us the TDs against the better Ds in the league.  I say let Welker go, let someone grab Austin

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey tfb and all, as i have it,

# 1 need is pass rush without that we aren't getting a ring likely. cant rush a qb with a good line (see  raven game for example).

#2 an #3 need is big corner and big outside wr who can separate and snag, get the short and middle open and get the running room to run. right now good des stay close and clog everything up.

having the offense run through our short game is part of the reason our offense can be shut down. that and josh's playcalling not making teams  respect all the threats.

its nto a bad thing having a tavon austin, its just not what we need most on offense.

#4 need o line improvement. we need a better, more consistent run blocking and pass blocking (see games agaisnt better defenses like rafvens). 

#5 a linebacker that can cover well.

josh needs to learn to make de respect all weapons, call better sequences

bb needs change the de to a penetrating defense instead of a clogging up one (a must in todays nfl).

if we get some pass rush in fa, we can take best player available. 

ditto re cb. keep talib, sign or tag. pickup midlevel cb. then in rd #1 best player avail.

wr i would still get in draft the big separating wr even if we got a fa wr. but you are not going to get a good fa wr 6 2"+ 210+ who can separate and snag. you can in the draft in about all 3 first rounds.rounds.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

I agree with Austin pick. He is not a true number 1 receiver, but the kid can't be touched in the open field. He is only 5-8 and 174lbs, but he doesn't have an injury history and he is very strong for his size I think he put up something like 14 reps at 225lbs. Even with Welker, the Pats could utilize this kid all over the field. He can return kickoffs, punts, line up in the backfield and slot. He also has enough speed to run the deep route. I know we have Edelman and Demps but I think we would be sorry to pass on this kid.

2ndly we wont be "passing" on him as hes projected to be not make it to 29, and that was before he blew up the combine. some team will want a "percy harvin" before 29 i would guess (imo)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

That would make sense. The Texans have nothing at WR besides Andre Johnson (Owen Daniels is a TE).

with teh combine i dont know he makes 27.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

Sign Wes, get Austin, then start them with Woodhead, Vereen, Branch, Demps and Edelman and we can have Tom Brady and the 7 dwafts!

:)

we got enough dwafs with tiny cathcing radii. know what i mean by catch radius.

brady may be less and less accuarte in 3-4 years. anyway, we need a ball control guy like boldin (can gronk stay on teh field?) and a guy like torrie smith or bigger.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He'd make a perfect Welker replacement but I don't want to spend a 1st to replace Welker, don't see that as improving the team. Rather spend the 1st on an interior rushing DT given that you can find some real talented WRs in the 2nd-4th range. Check out Wheaton, Wilson, and Rogers. Wheaton provides more size then Austin, slightly slower but is more of an X WR

agree with part A,  prefer pass rushing end stud over dt (not that we dont need dt too). just lower on my list.

that and safety i have after at least top 4 needs. de,big cb, big wr, o line

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to MordecaiBloodmoon's comment:

I feel about Austin the way I do about Welker.  They are great players and do/will put up great numbers.  However our team weakness has been in the redzone and we need a tall WR that can get us the TDs against the better Ds in the league.  I say let Welker go, let someone grab Austin

zactly mord.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

i'm still trying to find a pass rushing DT who will be there at 29... let you know when i find one....

every penetrating dt i picked shot up 11/2  to 2  1/2rounds in the time since i picked them, pretty much the same wih the rest of my picks as well. only players i picked that are still in reach of where we pick are wrs.