Give O Brien his due

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Give O Brian his due

Here here!  Three cheers for the man leading the best offense in the NFL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

No offense, but spelling his name correctly would be a good start.

And yes, I agree that O'Brien called an excellent game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

O'Brien has taken a lot of grief from Patriots fans, myself included.  I will say that I am very, very impressed with the play calling since the Moss trade.  Last night was simply masterful.  They mixed up the run and pass with a number of different formations and even a couple trick type plays.  O'Brien has made me a believer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Give O Brian his due:
    [QUOTE]They guy looked like Charlie Weis calling the plays last night. That was a well balanced game and he called the plays very well for such an important game. He takes a lot of sh*t from the fans on this forum so give him his due when he calls a good game against a top rated defense.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]
    Given how so many Pats' fans on this site have been crucifying O'Brien so much this year, was he on something last night?  Hopefully this is a sign he has come to his senses and will call such good games here on out.  But, regardless of how good the play calling may be, you have to have the players to make any game plan work and that is the key. The team seems to have a lot of the right pieces in place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I was in stunned wonderment all evening.  Stunned.  Wonderment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]Given how so many Pats' fans on this site have been crucifying O'Brien so much this year, was he on something last night?  Hopefully this is a sign he has come to his senses and will call such good games here on out. Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

What do the opinions of stupid fans have to do with O'Brien's performance?  The Pats have been the #1 offense in the league nearly the whole season.  Maybe the dumb fans who don't know a good offense when they see it are the ones coming to their senses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Give O Brian his due:
    [QUOTE]No offense, but spelling his name correctly would be a good start. And yes, I agree that O'Brien called an excellent game.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

No  offense, but having one name might be a good start on busting other people's balls when they don't care how some guy who actually claims only one name does or does not react when his name (or, perhaps, not his name) is either spelled or misspelled on an internet chat forum he will never read . . .

chris . . .

or  woody . . .

whichever name it is . . .

and I hope I haven't misspelled them . . .

except about the part where I don't really care.

Undecided

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I for one wasn't very high on Bill O'Brien last year and the beginning of this year.  You have to admit last year the offense was horrendous in the second half and it carried over to the first part of this year.  I'm beginning to realize O'Brien wasn't the problem but it was Randy Moss.  There is no more throwing it up 10 times a game and seeing if Moss comes down with it.  Ever since the Moss trade the Pats went back to their old school offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

[QUOTE]What do the opinions of stupid fans have to do with O'Brien's performance?  The Pats have been the #1 offense in the league nearly the whole season.  Maybe the dumb fans who don't know a good offense when they see it are the ones coming to their senses.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

So you thought the second half offense was good last year and the beginning of this year?  What games were you watching?  They couldn't close out games and score in the second half!  So the negativity towards O'Brien was justified.  I guess you are the only smart one around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well you yourself admitted it was Randy Moss and not O'Brien so by your own logic the hostility against O'Brien was not justified.

Oh and it has been established that Brady last year was up against the toughest collective pass defense that any QB has faced since 1993, and was coming off of major reconstructive knee surgery after missing an entire season of football and had 3 broken ribs plus a broken finger, was dependent on Laura Twinkle Toes Maroney for run support, and the team was riddled with malcontents ... but we should blame it all on O'Brien.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

absolutely, starting to pickup where mcdaniels left offin 2008 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

He called a brilliant game. 

I agree that he's been calling games 10x better without Moss in the line up. Creativity has gone up now that there isn't anyone that needs pandering to. 

At the end of the game just to drive the point home they were calling semi-trick plays like the shovel pass to the little big man just to show the Jets they could do whatever they wanted whenever they wanted against them and they couldn't do a darn thing about it. Gave them more to think about next time they meet should that happen in the playoffs. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

I admit I have killed the guy. last night he was great with the play calling. the play when welker and woodhead went up the middle and woody branched out right for a 35 yard gainer. GREAT PLAY. 

Do it again! Do it again!! I likey!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

He has been consistanly more balanced and it has been helping, Woodhead and Law Firm have improved the team dramatically.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]absolutely, starting to pickup where mcdaniels left offin 2008 
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

i think last night's performance was better than any of the games i remember from 07. what was impressive then was simply the score. opponents could game plan against the 07 approach. last night, it was the way that they went about geting to the final score. the diversity of the pay calling was amazing. i would be curious to find out how other teams scheme their d against this offense. you know it's going to be a lot of pass pressure. you know it's going to be heavy on stunts. yet bb and tb will expect it this time becayuse that's how they got beaten in 07. they will be prepared. it looks hopeless for the other teams.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We have finally shown a commitment to the running game. Like a lot of us have noted Tom Brady is the best PA QB alive and with a consistent threat of the run I do not believe any defense will stop us the rest of this year.

Bill O'Brien and the rest of the offense have consistently gotten better all year and its great to see them live up to the potential.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Give O Brian his due : No  offense, but having one name might be a good start on busting other people's balls when they don't care how some guy who actually claims only one name does or does not react when his name (or, perhaps, not his name) is either spelled or misspelled on an internet chat forum he will never read . . . chris . . . or  woody . . . whichever name it is . . . and I hope I haven't misspelled them . . . except about the part where I don't really care.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Wow, re-read your gibberish.  Try writing while sober next time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Checking in from Manhattan..I gotta tell ya...I have had a sh-t eating grin on my face all day at a conference here. Oh my.  Just the best.

Congrats to O'Brien. It took him a while to call 60 minutes, but he really nailed it last night.

Nothing opening the game and sticking with that blistering 2 TE set than no one can defend. If they run that from here on out, I don't see them not putting up 25+ points per game.

I have to say it: he went ot the shotgun and Brady started getting sacked. I don't get it, but it's hard to complain with that one example of over=management.

Congrats to O'Brien. And Mighty. Maybe no Mighty will stop pretending this guy doesn't have toys galore to use and abuse good defenses. lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Give O Brian his due : Wow, re-read your gibberish.  Try writing while sober next time.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

How is me drinking fewer beers going to improve your reading comprehension, Chris?

I mean . . . Woody . . .

errrrr . . .

Never mind.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Give O Brien his due

It's pretty obvious to most that O'Brien has improved as a play caller, one can almost watch him improve and learn week to week, and not suprisingly as the number of running plays increased so did the 3rd down and red conversions increase and the number of punts decrease. 

The most obvious visible learning experience seemed to come in the 2nd half against the Bills.  This was a team we were supposed to steam roll over, but with Fitzpatrick making a game of it we were forced to run. 

After the Cleveland game, the way they ran over us controlling the line of scrimmage and time of possession I think O'Brien learned importance of power running and how play action could make a rookie QB look better than Brady.

No more 2nd half dropoffs is the biggest payoff to his improvement and our chance at a real playoff run.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

He has improved and called his best 4 qtrs.  Hate to bring it up again but Brady took sacks while in the shotgun when they ran it before half. 

Very hard to complain with how far he has come since last year and especially earlier in the season.

This team will be VERY, VERY tough to beat if he calls 4 quarters cleanly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

He's been outstanding though I would like to see more action going Hernandez's way.  The Guy is a YAC freak....Spectacular.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

o'brien gets credit although i do believe josh will be back next year as assistant head coach and in charge of everything on offense. i really do not know how much of the playcalling and offensive success is due to him or just bel pulling triple duty. i feel bad for him but to me bel gets most of the credit.. he seems to be a lackey to bel right now, i dont know how much legitimacy he actually has or how much credit is due.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]He's been outstanding though I would like to see more action going Hernandez's way.  The Guy is a YAC freak....Spectacular.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

Are you sure?  Thanks to O'Brien we barely won on Sunday.  Check out the score:

Pats:  31:01
    Jets:  28:59

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Give O Brien his due:
    [QUOTE]The guy looked like Charlie Weis calling the plays last night. That was a well balanced game and he called the plays very well for such an important game. He takes a lot of sh*t from the fans on this forum so give him his due when he calls a good game against a top rated defense.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

It wasn't just play calling

The game-planning and preparation for that game must have been top-notch.  Brady showed incredible blitz recognition on multiple occasions, finding mismatches such as MLB Bart Scot trying to chase after WR Wes Welker, or some defensive end trying to chase after Danny Woodhead.

Beautiful offense all-around.  Play-calling is an afterthought if you've prepared as well as they must have.