Give O Brien his due

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Give O Brien his due

Keep babbling.

If the Pats blow a game or blow a playoff or SB game due to his infatuation with the failed shotgun formation in this offense, and it leading to 3 and outs and a loss because of it, or god forbid Brady getting injured, you'll be called out.

I don't know how many more examples we need to see of a shotgun ending up in a failed pass play or a sack.   It was refreshing to see him barely use it in that game.

Gee, I am confused as to why it was his best game, Mighty? lol

That TOP was only close because NE scored so fast. 

Glad I could help you, again, Mighty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Give O Brien his due:
    Are you sure?  Thanks to O'Brien we barely won on Sunday.  Check out the score: Pats:  31:01 Jets:  28:59
    Posted by themightypatriotz

mighty you do realize that I'm not the person who started either thread about time of posession?   In both threads I post TOP is meaningless.

Re: Patriots time of possession

posted at 10/30/2010 6:35 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=986d9e3bf632680b98c75c0778123171&plckUserId=986d9e3bf632680b98c75c0778123171">
    First: 1/19/2010
    Last: 12/9/2010

Another meaningless, useless stat.  The only thing that matters is the final score. 

When special teams are running back kickoffs for TD's and DB's are getting pick 6's then of course your Time of Possession is going to drop.......knucklehead's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Time of Possession might be the most overlooked/underrated piece of data when looking at an NFL game. Some of you apparently never watched NE win SBs last decade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yes, the Super Bowls are proof that time of possession is key to victory.

Like against the Rams, where we held the ball for 26:30 to their 33:30.

And against the Panthers, where we dominated TOP by holding the ball for 38:58 to their 21:02, it's not like it was a close game that was tied with only 1:13 to go or anything ...

Ahhh but the proof is against the Giants, where they won not because of a miracle last second drive, but because they held the ball for 30:27 as opposed to our mere 29:33.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Ty Law had an INT for a TD in SB 36. In SB 38, Brady threw an INT in the end zone and Carolina scored those quick TDs, which obviously reflects why the score was close even though's methodical Weis offense is tremendously effective. It's a good thing they didn't get the ball back and that TOP advantage was what it was, right Mighty? Otherwise, if there was more time on the clock, maybe Carolina gets the ball back and Sean Mayer is playing Safety with Dedric Ward or something. Are you playing dumb here or are you seriously this obtuse?  Christ, are you belligerent with facts. You're like Chris Gasper. Let's leave out facts and contexts that clearly affect the discussion so you can slap 3 sentences on a page and pretend your premise makes sense. The Mighty way!  Yay! Gasper:  "Doc Rivers is the best coach in Boston sports." Mighty: "Time of possession is irrelevant." Watch football much or just look at stat sheets? Or, are you O'Brien? Turnovers always affect TOP. FACTS based on historical data with BB/Brady teams: 1. No turnovers. 2. Win TOP. 3. Run the ball a minimum of 20 times. If these 3 things occur, NE does not lose the game. If any one of these things do not fall NE's way, their chances of winning dramatically decrease. You're an obnoxius little turd, aren't you?  Stop dancing around here pretending I said TOP is the only thing that matters.  You are as annoying as any troll here on this issue. The D bailed out O'Brien earlier in the year. It's about time he's figured out how to use the toys he's been given.
    Posted by BBReigns

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Good thing you quoted me AND my response was deleted. lol

It's also a good thing that you don't see the connection between a TOP domination in SB 38 and that somehow not being important in a 32-29 game with a last second FG.

If the offense doesn't run that much time down, Carolina gets the ball back.

Pretty simple, yet apparently so complex for Mighty.

This exact same concept can be applied to SB 39 as well.

NE only won by 3 points in each SB win.  With more time for the opponent, maybe they DON'T win. Get it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

What's this?  The Pats were second in the league in time of possession in 2009, Bill O'Brien's first year as offensive play caller? 

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=lundblad_jeremy&id=5740745

And in his second year, the Pats are leading the league in offense?  Thank goodness BB has someone as smart as O'Brien helping him out on offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yes, thank goodness. Bill O'Brien controls Tom Brady. lol

Mighty, even you could call those plays.  Brady has a video game set of complements at his disposal right now.

NE was poor in the red zone last year on offense thanks to O'Brien and his lack of creativity.

Shutouts in halves of games due to limited rushing attempts, etc. Terrible red zone offense.

Moss and Welker opened up the mid sectio of the field, hence why they had great TOP last year.   That's why it was like that. It was like that with Cassel in 2008.

This year, it's WORSE. 

Good thing BB dealt Moss, traded Maroney and got Branch and Woodhead in here because that personnel switch along with the TE commitment has made O'Brien look better than he is.

Thankfully, we have BB and Brady.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yes, we have a great team.  BB, Brady, Welker, Wilfork, O'Brien, Light, Mayo, Law Firm, Sanders, Patricia, Koppen, Merriweather, other O'Brien, Arrington ... we have a great team from top to bottom.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Overrating O'Brien is like when people overrated McDaniels. 

When Brady was incredible in 2006, it wasn't because of McDaniels.  Same deal in 2007.

This offense will always be about providing Brady with good support and taking advantage of his supreme skill set, playing up to his ability to distribute the ball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

I agree Killa.  He's reinvented their scheme and made it his own.  Glad BB has more patience with people than I do!

Cheers!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

O'Brien hasn't re-invented anything. BB has, if anything. 

Just like when they unveiled the spread in 2006, it was McDaniels who ran it, but these are BB decisions.

O'Brien still concerns me moving forward in the colder weather, although I do feel he won't let his ego get in the way like with what happened with McDaniels in SB 42.

Don't kid yourself. There is a reason why Brady looks great running multiple offenses in his career.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

O'Brien hasn't re-invented anything. BB has, if anything.  Just like when they unveiled the spread in 2006, it was McDaniels who ran it, but these are BB decisions. O'Brien still concerns me moving forward in the colder weather, although I do feel he won't let his ego get in the way like with what happened with McDaniels in SB 42. Don't kid yourself. There is a reason why Brady looks great running multiple offenses in his career.
    Posted by BBReigns

Rusty, did BB tell you this over breakfast this morning?  Obviously BB made the personnel decisions in the draft and FA which netted tham three outstanding TE's, but O'B is running the offense, calling the plays, etc. 

Bottom line is, he has been calling an excellent game pretty much all year with an exception of a game or two.  Getting rid of Moss has really helped him call a more balanced and sometimes unpredictable offense. 

C'mon, we have to agree on at least this one!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I agree.

I said at the top of this as well as on another thread that it was his best game and he's come along.

That was my lone complaint:  4 qtrs called evenly.

He'd have one good half and then one bad one. If he didn't improve in this area, there is no way on earth they can win a SB with that kind of inconsistency.

I do admit, his penchant, for the shotgun/spread thing when it doesn't need to be used drives me nuts because it kills the flow of their offense and pretty automatically plays into  the hands of the defense.

But yes, overall I am happy to see more balance, more running, more TE sets, etc.

It had to happen for it to be like this, so he does deserve credit for progessing in the role.

Best games:

1. NYJ (At home)
    2. Minny
    3. Baltimore

These are the 3 best called games from him this year, in my opinion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I'm glad you agree that a low scoring performance against a great defense like Baltimore can actually be a better offensiver peformance than a blowout against a siv like Buffalo or Detroit, unlike some of the "teenie boppers" on here ...

Tongue out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

I agree. I said at the top of this as well as on another thread that it was his best game and he's come along. That was my lone complaint:  4 qtrs called evenly. He'd have one good half and then one bad one. If he didn't improve in this area, there is no way on earth they can win a SB with that kind of inconsistency. I do admit, his penchant, for the shotgun/spread thing when it doesn't need to be used drives me nuts because it kills the flow of their offense and pretty automatically plays into  the hands of the defense. But yes, overall I am happy to see more balance, more running, more TE sets, etc. It had to happen for it to be like this, so he does deserve credit for progessing in the role. Best games: 1. NYJ (At home) 2. Minny 3. Baltimore These are the 3 best called games from him this year, in my opinion.
    Posted by BBReigns

Wow Rusty, it's nice to finally have an agreement for once!

Getting rid of the Moss deep/Welker underneath show and replacing it with the multiple sets/formations involving the TE's and Woodhead has helped him design a much better game plan.  It also easier to adjust because a lot of these sets allow you to do different things, depending on how Brady audibles at the line.  They can go into a 2 TE running play and then change it depending on Brady's call into a very effective passing play.  Nobody in the league has these kind of options - at least with players this good.

This offense is still evolving and I'm excited to see the things they are holding back on until the playoffs. 

What's even more exciting is these new playmakers are here for years to come. As much as I'm enjoying living in this moment, I can't help but get excited to see who we add in the 2011 draft and Free Agency.  This team is going to be unstoppable for the forseeable future.  

Must sukk not to be a Pats fan! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Maybe if you don't attack me in Sept calling me a "homer" non-stop and just opened your ears, you would have agreed more? Ever think of that?

Basically, everything I (and others) predicted has happened.

If I remember correctly, we butted heads specifically because of the preseason game against St. Louis and the early games when BB was experimenting with his younger players, in exclusive zone D.

You weren't patient enough, and as you can see, BB not only knows exactly what he is doing, he's proving he is by far and away the best coach in the NFL, yet again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Give O Brian his due

In Response to Re: Give O Brian his due:
    In Response to Re: Give O Brian his due : U R wrong turkey breath. "fans", who allow themselves the luxury of free-thought and expression, knew full well that while the Pats offense may have been rated #1, it really wasn`t #1 in the least...and that o`brien`s play calling for several games was, well..abysmal. yup, it was...or were you the one fan out there who couldn`t figure out what play would be coming next?  i ask, why carp all over the fans, when they could have only put more heat on o`brien to pick up his game, and pick it up substantially, which it appears he did. [that is, unless BB took matters into his own hands, and is 'overseeing' the playcalling now.  stranger things have happened.]
    Posted by koft

How's Edelman doing?  I hear he may be seriously injured.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Maybe if you don't attack me in Sept calling me a "homer" non-stop and just opened your ears, you would have agreed more? Ever think of that? Basically, everything I (and others) predicted has happened. If I remember correctly, we butted heads specifically because of the preseason game against St. Louis and the early games when BB was experimenting with his younger players, in exclusive zone D. You weren't patient enough, and as you can see, BB not only knows exactly what he is doing, he's proving he is by far and away the best coach in the NFL, yet again.
    Posted by BBReigns

Actually you're wrong Rusty.  The first time we crossed paths is when I posted that Butler stinks and you took me to town on it. 

You always have to beat your chest and tell people that you're right.  Well, you disagreed with me on Butler so I guess you were wrong.

Either way, we can agree to disagree.  It's pointless butting heads with each other when at the end of the day we are both just passionate Pats fans. 

Closed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Change the subject; slightly; anybody want to play offensive coordinator for Sunday; my game plan; Danny Woodhead (shovel pass redux); Danny Woodhead, screen, Danny Woodhead in the flat, Danny Woodhead draw play and/or delays...I think his low center of gravity and speed/quicks could make him the most dangerous offensive player on the field in the horrendous weather conditions that are expected...Gronk in the flat, Hernanez in seems...I think running between the tackles with Law Firm gets stuffed early, so hold back until second half when d-line is tired and ready for some shredding...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diesel12. Show Diesel12's posts

I have a good feeling about these Pats. No defense seems good enough to stop them. The Jetsies were the latest victims. I think the Pats may have trouble with Chicago but after that, I fully expect them to win out. They can afford a non conference loss as long as they don't drop more than one or any agains MIA and Buffalo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

I agree that Monday was a brilliantly called game, however, I'm not ready to say O'Brien has arrived.  Play calling last year and the beginnig of this year was too vanilla. Thankfuly, he seems to have found some chocolate sauce.  I still see too much of BJGE going up the middle for 2 yds (sometimes on 3rd and long).  I think it's probably pretty easy to bring variety to a game when you're up by 20.  I'm waiting to see if he can do the same when they are down by 20 (hopefully never again).  But I'll give him his due for Monday at least.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I agree that Monday was a brilliantly called game, however, I'm not ready to say O'Brien has arrived.  Play calling last year and the beginnig of this year was too vanilla. Thankfuly, he seems to have found some chocolate sauce.  I still see too much of BJGE going up the middle for 2 yds (sometimes on 3rd and long).  I think it's probably pretty easy to bring variety to a game when you're up by 20.  I'm waiting to see if he can do the same when they are down by 20 (hopefully never again).  But I'll give him his due for Monday at least.
    Posted by 347pg

Wow, I'd hate to hear your analysis of the other 31 offensive play callers in the league. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Brady doesn't write the game plans.  Brady also doesn't write the playbook.

If Brady is fed poor scouting and advance planning, then he falters just like everyone else.

If I'm led to believe the reports, then O'Brien is defacto offensive coordinator and you know that Belichick isn't spending too much time with the offense because the defense sure does need a lot of work.  O'Brien deserves at least some of the credit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I don't know, O'Brien calls a lot of shotgun spread, I'm not sure that formation works in today's NFL:

3-22-NYJ 44(1:54) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass deep middle to 84-D.Branch to NYJ 25 for 19 yards (33-E.Smith).

4-3-NYJ 25(1:07) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 84-D.Branch for 25 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

2-4-NYJ 18(4:47) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker for 18 yards, TOUCHDOWN. NE 12-Brady 251st career TD pass, ties Drew Bledsoe for 13th place all-time.

3-4-NE 38(:55) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 39-D.Woodhead to NYJ 12 for 50 yards (26-D.Lowery). NE 12-Brady 33rd career 300-yard game. NE 39-Woodhead 1st career 100-yard receiving game.

Maybe if he ran the ball more we'd get drives like this:

1-10-NE 25(6:08) 42-B.Green-Ellis left guard to NE 26 for 1 yard (91-S.Pouha).

2-9-NE 26(5:31) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 83-W.Welker to NE 34 for 8 yards (52-D.Harris).

3-1-NE 34(4:45) 63-D.Connolly reported in as eligible. 42-B.Green-Ellis left guard to NE 34 for no gain (97-C.Pace).

4-1-NE 34(4:06) 14-Z.Mesko punts 52 yards to NYJ 14

Sections
Shortcuts