Give O Brien his due

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Give O Brien his due

In Response to Re: Give O Brien his due:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Give O Brien his due : Wow, I'd hate to hear your analysis of the other 31 offensive play callers in the league. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

No one has the best QB, the best complement of players, or the best gameplanning head coach like O'Brien has.

O'Brien is the new kid on the block in this equation.

Give credit to BB for getting Branch, promoting BJGE, drafting the TEs, signing Crumpler and for clipping Woodhead.

All of these personnel moves helped Brady and O'Brien.  A fact that cannot be denied.

A drunk Pats fan could run this offense.   It's like a video game at times, or at least should be.

Like I have said many times: This is the 2001-2004 Weis Offense (or at least should be) with better personnel.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yeah, Brady has video game weapons at his disposal.  The 2009 NFL stats of these guys must have been off the charts:

Deion Branch
    Brandon Tate
    Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis
    Danny Woodhead
    Aron Hernandez
    Rob Gronkowski

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I think that the play calling has been pretty terrific, especially over this last stretch - but its the OL's outstanding play, along with the contributions from the tight ends in the running game (Crumpler - has anyone ever had a more apt name?) that is making this all work. Mankins really brought up the aggression level, and seeing those big dudes blocking downfield and knocking people over downfield is just great to see. Its like they want to utterly punish the defense, even in pass protection. These guys are playing some awesome football in my opinion.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

O'Brien has finally locked in and not used that dumb shotgun as much anymore, which is why they are scoring 30+ points per game.

Brady was hurried and sacked in the shotgun again yesterday, but overall, a huge improvment for O'Brien since earlier in the year.

Great job.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]O'Brien has finally locked in and not used that dumb shotgun as much anymore, which is why they are scoring 30+ points per game. Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I know they hardly used the shotgun at all:

3-10-NE 35 (9:46) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to CHI 48 for 17 yards (38-D.Manning).

3-12- (7:51) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 84-D.Branch to CHI 34 for 16 yards (46-C.Harris).

3-7-CHI 7 (5:52) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 87-R.Gronkowski for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

2-10-NE 47 (12:37) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to CHI 34 for 19 yards (27-M.Wright).

1-3-CHI 3 (10:22) (Shotgun) 39-D.Woodhead right guard for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

2-9-NE 21 (:53) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 84-D.Branch to NE 40 for 19 yards (54-B.Urlacher).

3-9-NE 41 (:05) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass deep left to 84-D.Branch for 59 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

3-2-NE 28 (7:59) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 84-D.Branch to NE 41 for 13 yards (27-M.Wright).

3-4-NE 47 (5:44) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 84-D.Branch to CHI 45 for 8 yards (53-N.Roach).

3-16-NE 14 (5:15) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass deep left to 19-B.Tate ran ob at NE 42 for 28 yards.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That's 10 plays.  I am glad the shotgun draw worked for Woodhead. Woodhead is great.  He can run it out of the shotgun or not.

He's clearly using it less and less, which is why they are looking better than earlier in the year.

It's when you call the play as well, not what the play is.  I have only said that 100 times to you this year, too. lol

Some day you'll get it.  It's balance. Far, far more balance now than in the earlier or mid portion of the year. 

As I have stated, no turnovers and 20+ carries is the real recipe.  32 carries yesterday.

Thanks for playing the reading comprehension game today, Mighty! We have some nice parting gifts for you on the way out the door.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

How many touchdowns did they score when not lined up in the shotgun?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, Brady has video game weapons at his disposal.  The 2009 NFL stats of these guys must have been off the charts: Deion Branch Brandon Tate Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis Danny Woodhead Aron Hernandez Rob Gronkowski

+1        Who would have thought going into yesterdays game it had any shotgun in it? If it had went south yesterday people would have been calling for O'Brien's head. I can hear it now. Shotgun!!!! in 40 mph wind !!!!!kill the idiot!!!!!!  How many times does Tom have a guy in the backfield just to motion him out wide? Is that Tom reading coverage and changing the play. Is it to show O'Brein how they are going to defend a certain formation for a call later in the game? How can we know from our couch?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I called for shotgun spread. Check Bady's stats against Tampa-2 defenses. Otherwordly.

Run the ball enough to keep them honest. But any defense from the Tampa tree is going to be carved by Mr. Brady. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]How many touchdowns did they score when not lined up in the shotgun?

That's fine. I have no issue with using it. He called it smartly like he did in the Pitt game.

Pitt didn't match up well and nor did Chicago in that one dimensional Cover 2.

My issue was always when to use it and how many times.  He filtered it in nicely.

You seem to have some comprehension problems, because I have stated these concepts repeatedly.

The closer he is to 50/50, the more lethal Brady is.

Brady is the best play action guy in the NFL. Note how they didn't exclusively use the shotgun. 

This as the base of the offense in the spread/shotgun withered away in 2007 and in a big way in 2009, it did again the first few weeks in 2010 against good Ds.

32 runs, 40 passes. 44% run, 56% pass.  The only reason there were more passes in that weather is partly because the D had trouble getting footing and Brady loves the Tampa 2.

But, once this team does 25 runs or more, they won't lose the game.

O'Brien done much better in recent weeks, no doubt about that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Just to be clear:

The Pats ran 78 total offensive plays, 37 of which were out of the shotgun.

The Pats gained 475 net yards, 238 of which came out of the shotgun.

All three touchdowns came out of the shotgun.  

Sections
Shortcuts