Give Tebow a Chance???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Give Tebow a Chance???

For all those who say Tebow hasn't been "given a chance," review the NY DailyNews article from November in which his teammates called him "terrible". Note how both his current Jets and former Broncos teammates agree that he doesn't commit to the work in practice. Compare this against everything you have ever heard about TB12's commitment to practice.

If Tebow "deserves a chance," practice is where you earn it.

Tebowmania may have captivated the NFL last season, but Tim Tebow’s new team doesn’t believe that he’s a savior.

More than a dozen Jets players and members of the organization painted a sobering picture of the player who rallied the Broncos to the playoffs last season. In their eyes, he’s simply not very good.

The prevailing thought in the organization is that Tebow is nothing more than a gimmick.

“He’s terrible,” a defensive starter told the Daily News.

Although Tebow told The News last month that he has made improvements as a quarterback over the past few months, none of the people in the organization who spoke to The News shared that sentiment.

Both offensive and defensive players admitted that they hadn’t noticed any appreciable improvement in Tebow’s quarterback skills in practice since he was traded to the Jets in March. Tebow has been a poor practice player throughout his career. His current teammates echoed sentiments from Denver Broncos players a year ago about the lefthanded signal caller’s poor practice performance.

The 3-6 Jets’ dwindling playoff chances haven’t changed this mind-set in the locker room: Tebow isn’t a panacea.

Despite Mark Sanchez’s league-low 52% completion rate and league-high four red-zone interceptions, the players believe he should remain the starter over Tebow, who has accounted for only 132 total yards and averaged seven offensive snaps per game. Rex Ryan has backed Sanchez without publicly guaranteeing that he will be the starting quarterback for the rest of the season.

Left guard Matt Slauson, who has repeatedly supported Sanchez, made it clear that the fourth-year signal caller is the Jets’ best quarterback.

“It’s not even close,” Slauson said. “All the other quarterbacks know it. I have all the confidence in Mark. We don’t really have a choice.”

When asked about the team’s two other quarterbacks on the depth chart as possible alternatives — Tebow and Greg McElroy — Slauson clarified that the Jets really have only one other quarterback.

“We have Greg . . . and we have an athlete,” Slauson said.

But could the Jets win with Tebow as the No. 1 quarterback?

“Do I have to answer that question?” a veteran starter said, shaking his head.

To most of the people in the organization, Tebow is nothing more than a specialty player who doesn’t have the requisite skills to be a true quarterback in the league. “We don’t look at him as a quarterback,” another starter said. “He’s the Wildcat guy.”

The designation dismisses Tebow’s success in Denver last season. Despite Tebow’s magic from a year ago, the Jets still view Sanchez as a much better option and have no immediate plans to bench him, according to sources. None of the members of the organization interviewed by The News believed that a zone-read offense tailored to Tebow’s strengths can help the Jets reverse their fortunes.

“Hell, no!” another starter said. “You got to keep defenses honest. You just can’t line up in the Wildcat all the time. That won’t work.”

Tebow’s legs provide a tempting alternative for the Jets’ slumping offense. “That’s the real threat he brings,” defensive lineman Mike DeVito said.

“He’s a winner,” said a Jets source, who made it clear that even though he wanted Tebow to get more playing time, Sanchez should remain the starter. “If he stays on the field long enough, usually good things happen.”

But most members of the Jets don’t believe that what they saw from Tebow last season is sustainable. “We can’t win running that sh--,” one player said.

They think Tebow’s heroics in Denver were a mirage.

“Now we’re depending on miracles?” a member of the organization said. “You can’t play that way.”

However, Sanchez’s poor play raises legitimate questions about whether a change — if only temporary — is in order for a team that has lost nine of the last 12 games dating back to last season.

The decision-makers don’t think that’s the right course of action. “It would take extreme poor play. . . . like a five-interception game,” said a prominent member of the organization. “Something where it was just ridiculous. It would take Mark to totally just sh-- the bed and become unglued (before there was a quarterback change).”

The organization has factored Sanchez’s weak supporting cast of skill position players into the equation.

“Look at some of the players he’s throwing to,” a Jets official said. “It’s garbage.”

Said another Jets source: “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.”

So, who wants Tebow to be the starter?

“Nobody,” a member of the team said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Give Tebow a Chance???

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

For all those who say Tebow hasn't been "given a chance," review the NY DailyNews article from November in which his teammates called him "terrible". Note how both his current Jets and former Broncos teammates agree that he doesn't commit to the work in practice. Compare this against everything you have ever heard about TB12's commitment to practice.

If Tebow "deserves a chance," practice is where you earn it.

Tebowmania may have captivated the NFL last season, but Tim Tebow’s new team doesn’t believe that he’s a savior.

More than a dozen Jets players and members of the organization painted a sobering picture of the player who rallied the Broncos to the playoffs last season. In their eyes, he’s simply not very good.

The prevailing thought in the organization is that Tebow is nothing more than a gimmick.

“He’s terrible,” a defensive starter told the Daily News.

Although Tebow told The News last month that he has made improvements as a quarterback over the past few months, none of the people in the organization who spoke to The News shared that sentiment.

Both offensive and defensive players admitted that they hadn’t noticed any appreciable improvement in Tebow’s quarterback skills in practice since he was traded to the Jets in March. Tebow has been a poor practice player throughout his career. His current teammates echoed sentiments from Denver Broncos players a year ago about the lefthanded signal caller’s poor practice performance.

The 3-6 Jets’ dwindling playoff chances haven’t changed this mind-set in the locker room: Tebow isn’t a panacea.

Despite Mark Sanchez’s league-low 52% completion rate and league-high four red-zone interceptions, the players believe he should remain the starter over Tebow, who has accounted for only 132 total yards and averaged seven offensive snaps per game. Rex Ryan has backed Sanchez without publicly guaranteeing that he will be the starting quarterback for the rest of the season.

Left guard Matt Slauson, who has repeatedly supported Sanchez, made it clear that the fourth-year signal caller is the Jets’ best quarterback.

“It’s not even close,” Slauson said. “All the other quarterbacks know it. I have all the confidence in Mark. We don’t really have a choice.”

When asked about the team’s two other quarterbacks on the depth chart as possible alternatives — Tebow and Greg McElroy — Slauson clarified that the Jets really have only one other quarterback.

“We have Greg . . . and we have an athlete,” Slauson said.

But could the Jets win with Tebow as the No. 1 quarterback?   “Do I have to answer that question?” a veteran starter said, shaking his head.

To most of the people in the organization, Tebow is nothing more than a specialty player who doesn’t have the requisite skills to be a true quarterback in the league. “We don’t look at him as a quarterback,” another starter said. “He’s the Wildcat guy.”

The designation dismisses Tebow’s success in Denver last season. Despite Tebow’s magic from a year ago, the Jets still view Sanchez as a much better option and have no immediate plans to bench him, according to sources. None of the members of the organization interviewed by The News believed that a zone-read offense tailored to Tebow’s strengths can help the Jets reverse their fortunes.

“Hell, no!” another starter said. “You got to keep defenses honest. You just can’t line up in the Wildcat all the time. That won’t work.”

Tebow’s legs provide a tempting alternative for the Jets’ slumping offense. “That’s the real threat he brings,” defensive lineman Mike DeVito said.

“He’s a winner,” said a Jets source, who made it clear that even though he wanted Tebow to get more playing time, Sanchez should remain the starter. “If he stays on the field long enough, usually good things happen.”

But most members of the Jets don’t believe that what they saw from Tebow last season is sustainable. “We can’t win running that sh--,” one player said.

They think Tebow’s heroics in Denver were a mirage.

“Now we’re depending on miracles?” a member of the organization said. “You can’t play that way.”

However, Sanchez’s poor play raises legitimate questions about whether a change — if only temporary — is in order for a team that has lost nine of the last 12 games dating back to last season.   The decision-makers don’t think that’s the right course of action. “It would take extreme poor play. . . . like a five-interception game,” said a prominent member of the organization. “Something where it was just ridiculous. It would take Mark to totally just sh-- the bed and become unglued (before there was a quarterback change).”

The organization has factored Sanchez’s weak supporting cast of skill position players into the equation.

“Look at some of the players he’s throwing to,” a Jets official said. “It’s garbage.”

Said another Jets source: “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.”

So, who wants Tebow to be the starter?

“Nobody,” a member of the team said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tebow-terrible-jets-mates-rip-qb-article-1.1201722#ixzz2H4cQu5Xw

he couldn't have been worse than sanchez was down the stretch...tebow can tuck it and run at least and he will throw it away when nothing is there

sanchez regressed so far i think they had a better chance with Tebow at the end

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

He has had a chance, be actually won some games. Bottom line, terrible mechanics and not a decent QB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to MoreRings's comment:

He has had a chance, be actually won some games. Bottom line, terrible mechanics and not a decent QB.

no but sanchez was just shot...no confidence, double-clutching, throwing pick after pick-and bad ones too-and he lost the ball when hit

no way tebow would have been that bad...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

You know, that's not what it says.  Nowhere in the article does anyone say he doesn't commit to the work in practice.  They said he plays poorly in practice which is not even close to the same thing.  You also said both his current and former Broncos teammates but the article doesn't mention any Bronco teammates.  By all accounts I've ever heard Tebow's work ethic has been lauded.  That certainly doesn't mean he's a good player but I don't see the reason to make stuff up.  

I'd have to say the hate towards this guy backed by nothing more than fantastic rumors and made up facts is nothing more than bigotry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Like I say, compare Luck's numbers to his and get back to me. Tebow don't look pretty out there, but so far he has handled the NFL arguably better than Luck, without the ballwashing Luck gets; rather, he gets kicked in the balls continuously.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

You know, that's not what it says.  Nowhere in the article does anyone say he doesn't commit to the work in practice.  They said he plays poorly in practice which is not even close to the same thing.  You also said both his current and former Broncos teammates but the article doesn't mention any Bronco teammates.  By all accounts I've ever heard Tebow's work ethic has been lauded.  That certainly doesn't mean he's a good player but I don't see the reason to make stuff up.  

I'd have to say the hate towards this guy backed by nothing more than fantastic rumors and made up facts is nothing more than bigotry.

I'll give you your first point: Not committing to practice is technically not the same as not being a good practice player. But the article also says that he hasn't improved from the beginning of the year through November; so I would question how committed he could be. In New England, if you're not improving in practice, you're not playing.

There is another thread going right now where I admit I wouldn't mind seeing Tebow as a Patriot, so hate or bigotry are non-factors. In fact, I know of no other player in the league that if you question his commitment or talent, you get that response. If someone critiques the play of Chung or Nink or Arrington or Gregory, no one says a word about hatred or bigotry. What's so special about Tebow that makes him immune to honest critique?

The only point of the thread is that I do not buy the "Tebow hasn't been given a chance" rhetoric that I have seen floating in the media and on this board. I do not believe he has earned the chance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Like I say, compare Luck's numbers to his and get back to me. Tebow don't look pretty out there, but so far he has handled the NFL arguably better than Luck, without the ballwashing Luck gets; rather, he gets kicked in the balls continuously.

And through 15 games, Bennie Green-Ellis had a better YPC than Steven Jackson or Arian Foster--sorry, but that did not make him a better running back through 15 games. Individual numbers do not always convey team dynamics.

As a pure rookie, Luck is asked to carry the offense (doesn't have RBs that can pile up 200 yards a game, as Denver did last year) on a team with a crappy defense (whereas Denver's D won most of its games last year).

Even as a rook, Luck is 10 times the QB than Tebow will ever be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

46.5%

That's his completion percentage as a starter for the Broncos, the closest thing to a full season we have to draw from.

Tebow blows... period.

Stop talking about him unless you want to talk about his future on the Christian channel as a cohost of Kirk Camerons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

46.5%

That's his completion percentage as a starter for the Broncos, the closest thing to a full season we have to draw from.

Tebow blows... period.

Stop talking about him unless you want to talk about his future on the Christian channel as a cohost of Kirk Camerons.

Yup

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

+10

I have a great appreciation for people who can read.  I know, that doesn't seem like a very high standard to meet, but as you can see it actually is.  One thing for sure, Tebow is polarizing.  I seem to recall his teammates in Denver saying a lot of good things about him.  I think he even won some games for them.  The guy deserved a shot this year, but I think I get why he stayed on the bench.  It's probably the same reason why Elway prays every night and thanks God for Manning being available.  If you don't view Tebow as your franchise QB, you can't give him the opportunity to win a game.  Tebowmania will take over.  I myself hope he gets a chance somewhere next year.  He needs the right coach though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You'll never win a Super Bowl with a QB who can't complete even half his passes. Never.

He had one of the best head coaches in the NFL, one of the best D's and best running games around him and went as far as he'll ever go, next step Canada.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

You'll never win a Super Bowl with a QB who can't complete even half his passes. Never.

He had one of the best head coaches in the NFL, one of the best D's and best running games around him and went as far as he'll ever go, next step Canada.

I actually agree with you.  I cheer for him for the same reason I cheer for any other good guy in sports.  Nothing more than that.  However, it can probably be said that half of the teams in the NFL have QB's that will never lead them to a SB.  Never.  I look at it like this, Sanchez sucked.  I really do believe that Tebow would suck less.  I think he'll get a shot before heading to Canada.  I tend to think that will be his ultimate destination though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Tebow is to good of a guy for most of the thugs on the Jets team.  I don't believe for a minute that he won't practice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:

+10

I have a great appreciation for people who can read.  I know, that doesn't seem like a very high standard to meet, but as you can see it actually is.  One thing for sure, Tebow is polarizing.  I seem to recall his teammates in Denver saying a lot of good things about him.  I think he even won some games for them.  The guy deserved a shot this year, but I think I get why he stayed on the bench.  It's probably the same reason why Elway prays every night and thanks God for Manning being available.  If you don't view Tebow as your franchise QB, you can't give him the opportunity to win a game.  Tebowmania will take over.  I myself hope he gets a chance somewhere next year.  He needs the right coach though.

Since you have that appreciation, I'm sure you appreciated that I posted a follow-up to shenanigan's original post where I conceded that there was a difference between being committed to practice and being a poor practice player. Even still, I think there's some hair-splitting involved. If you are honestly talented enough, prepared enough and motivated enough to execute the position of starting quarterback on Sunday...you ought be able to demonstrate the same on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, since these are the days when you instill confidence in your coaches and teammates. I see no plausible reason why a player who can do all the right things on game day cannot do them during practice...unless he's not committed to practice.

And if you are honest with yourself, you would admit that you would NEVER accept this from any Patriots player under Belichick. You would never say, "Well, Patrick Chung doesn't improve much during practice, but give him a chance. He's a good guy." You would be the first one saluting BB for booting his butt out of town, and rightly so.

And with your commitment to reading, and your +10 bump to shenanigan, you must have read his opinion that hatred and bigotry are behind any criticism of Tebow. Really? Did you read any of that in my post? Or was it Matt Slauson and other of his teammates on both sides of the ball that the article quoted as saying that Tebow was "not even close" to Sanchez.

I did not start this as a bash-Tebow post, of which there have been many. If you've read other threads you will know that I am a fan of Tebow as a person and a football player, just not as a QB. Here, I was making a very specific point: that the claims that Tebow has not been given a chance are without merit; from the view of his coaches and teammates, he has not earned playing time on Sunday.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

I never said the article named who the Broncos teammates were. But, if you re-read it, the article does say in the 6th paragraph:

"Both offensive and defensive players admitted that they hadn'™t noticed any appreciable improvement in Tebow's quarterback skills in practice since he was traded to the Jets in March. Tebow has been a poor practice player throughout his career. His current teammates echoed sentiments from Denver Broncos players a year ago about the lefthanded signal caller's poor practice performance."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

And through 15 games, Bennie Green-Ellis had a better YPC than Steven Jackson or Arian Foster--sorry, but that did not make him a better running back through 15 games. Individual numbers do not always convey team dynamics.

As a pure rookie, Luck is asked to carry the offense (doesn't have RBs that can pile up 200 yards a game, as Denver did last year) on a team with a crappy defense (whereas Denver's D won most of its games last year).

The Broncos' D was 24th rated in scoring allowed 2011, 20th in yards allowed. The Colts' D this year is very much the same caliber. So much for the Denver D carrying the team despite Tebow and Luck carrying the Colts despite their D. And Tebow's 660 yards at 5.4 ypc was the second most rushing yards on the team which went far in bolstering Denver's running numbers. Same old spin BS that permeates this board. I'll take the facts over your eye test every time.

And again, Tebow put up arguably better numbers than Luck as a passer despite being thrown under the bus by his management and teammates while Luck gets his royal azz kissed by the whole world, other than a few who judge things on the cold hard facts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

the claims that Tebow has not been given a chance are without merit; from the view of his coaches and teammates, he has not earned playing time on Sunday.

Getting practice time isn't getting a chance. It doesn't matter. Hopefully he will get out of that hellhole in NY and have a real shot at doing his thing. Maybe he will be an utter failure, but his production on the field so far shows he is at least as good as many guys who are holding down an NFL job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

And through 15 games, Bennie Green-Ellis had a better YPC than Steven Jackson or Arian Foster--sorry, but that did not make him a better running back through 15 games.

Poor comparison. A guy like Foster or Jackson have a body of work that clearly exceeds Benny's. Comparing Tebow and Luck's brief careers shows Tebow to be arguably better than Luck.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

the claims that Tebow has not been given a chance are without merit; from the view of his coaches and teammates, he has not earned playing time on Sunday.

Getting practice time isn't getting a chance. It doesn't matter. Hopefully he will get out of that hellhole in NY and have a real shot at doing his thing. Maybe he will be an utter failure, but his production on the field so far shows he is at least as good as many guys who are holding down an NFL job.

That's complete BS.

Tell that to Tom Brady, who worked his way up from #4 to #2 on the depth chart through practice, not through his play on Sunday, of which he had none.

Practice is both where you make the squad, and where you earn your position on the depth chart. If your coaches and teammates are not confident that you can execute the playbook, as evidenced in practice, you have business being in the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

And through 15 games, Bennie Green-Ellis had a better YPC than Steven Jackson or Arian Foster--sorry, but that did not make him a better running back through 15 games.

Poor comparison. A guy like Foster or Jackson have a body of work that clearly exceeds Benny's. Comparing Tebow and Luck's brief careers shows Tebow to be arguably better than Luck.

Only making the point that numbers can lie, and that you cannot compare what is happening on one squad versus another based on the stats of two individual players on those squads.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Only making the point that numbers can lie, and that you cannot compare what is happening on one squad versus another based on the stats of two individual players on those squads.

Numbers don't lie but they can be deceiving. Numbers are blind, you have to lead them to your point. Numbers can also be led astray. Fallable and unpredictable humans are playing the games and numbers only tell part (sometimes a very small part) of the outcome of pro football games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tankboytaylor. Show tankboytaylor's posts

the fact that Tebow wasnt given a chance with the putrid qb play the Jets had this year just shows what a horrible coach Ryan is and that was before I saw the gay tattoo

Seems like Mike Devito of the Jets agrees Tebow would have won games for them 

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/jets_de_we_needed_more_tebow_time/12582574?linksrc=foxrg_nfl

The Jets are a joke and  sickening to follow but I guess its good for us Pats fans

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The Broncos' D was 24th rated in scoring allowed 2011, 20th in yards allowed. The Colts' D this year is very much the same caliber. So much for the Denver D carrying the team despite Tebow and Luck carrying the Colts despite their D. And Tebow's 660 yards at 5.4 ypc was the second most rushing yards on the team which went far in bolstering Denver's running numbers. Same old spin BS that permeates this board. I'll take the facts over your eye test every time.

And again, Tebow put up arguably better numbers than Luck as a passer despite being thrown under the bus by his management and teammates while Luck gets his royal azz kissed by the whole world, other than a few who judge things on the cold hard facts.

They got blown out by the Pats and Bills down the stretch but during the Tebow streak the defense held teams to 10, 13, 13, 10 and 7 points and all those games were one score games (one was even a loss). The Broncos defense got very little help from the Broncos offense at times except for in the 4th quarter. The curent Broncos defense with most of the same players is top 5 now because the offense can control games. It would probably have been top 5 last year with a top flight quarterback. I like Tebow personally but to say he is as good as Luck makes me wonder if your opinion on players named Brady can be trusted.

Sections
Shortcuts