Glad Pats Won - But The D Is Worse Than Last Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Glad Pats Won - But The D Is Worse Than Last Year

Didn't deserve it, but I'll take it.

Boy, does their D need work or what?

Our O line is giong to have their hands full next week, cuz the jets are going to blitz all day long.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Re: Glad Pats Won - But The D Is Worse Than Last Year

Wilfork was huffin' and puffin' in thre first half...looked pretty bad on one play when the ESPN commentators were pointing out how the no-huddle offense was killing the new Patriots defense.  (It was.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I expect the defense to get better the more they play together, but the offensive line is a veteran unit and . . .  ummm . . .   stinks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scoot88. Show scoot88's posts

Will hold off on any comments on the D...keep in mind playing against a hurry up offense for the entire game is no joke...if you have not played against it before then you have no idea...I do not care how great of an athlete you are, you will get smoked...and as a defensive player playing against it, you are immediately at a disadvantage, you have to be perfect...we shut down TO and Evans, diced by the run, but goes back to Coach's famous words, 60 minutes of football...there is not many teams that do it as well as our Pats...and I must say Meriweather looked like a new player...excited to watch him this season...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

A weak effort overall. Once Brady got settled in (mid 3rd quarter), the pulled it together, but the Bills controlled the line of scrimmage on offense, which is troubling. Worse yet, they did it with several rookies.
    I think the Pats will settle down after the first game jitters. My big worry right now is Mayo's injury.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

Bring back delta oneal?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Glad Pats Won - But The D Is Worse Than Last Year:
    [QUOTE]Didn't deserve it, but I'll take it. Boy, does their D need work or what? Our O line is giong to have their hands full next week, cuz the jets are going to blitz all day long.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

We win, and you start a thread complaining about a D that gave up 17 points?  GFY.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Are you kidding me?? I am excited for this defense.... You guys are all smoking some stuff...
    What did i see tonite? I actually saw some corners near WR's instead of last year when WR's were on islands by themselves... 
    I saw secondary including corners!! make some huge hits... i've never seen anyone make big hits besides harrison on our D past few years.. 
    I actually saw corners who could ACTUALLY tackle like they're supposed to... instead of whiffing like they normally did last year.
    Ofcourse the line was weaker, with seymore being traded. They're not gonna replace him from week 1, its gonna b a work in progress. 
    They were stopping the run before mayo got injured so obv. that injury is huge... especially with seymore traded...

And this is week 1... the more they all gel, the better they will get... All this obv. depends on mayo's injury.. Hopefully hes ok...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

The D had two very bad calls against them, they were momentum killers.   But I think the Bills are much better offensive team with T.O.  I expect the Bills to surprise some teams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

like Grogan77 mentioned, lets not forget the 2 horrible penalties...
    That penalty lead to a TD, subtract that TD, thats 17 pts - 7 pts off brady... Keeping a no huddle offense to 10 pts, is a very good effort. Not to mention that huge hit by merriweather on ST's that lead to the fumble...

GET EXCITED ABOUT THIS D GUYS... FINALLY we are getting faster, and back to being more physical...

I Think this offense against the pats last year would have scored more than 34 points off us... not even joking... TO + Evans would be wide open against the corners last year...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Glad Pats Won - But The D Is Worse Than Last Year:
    [QUOTE]like Grogan77 mentioned, lets not forget the 2 horrible penalties... That penalty lead to a TD, subtract that TD, thats 17 pts - 7 pts off brady... Keeping a no huddle offense to 10 pts, is a very good effort. Not to mention that huge hit by merriweather on ST's that lead to the fumble... GET EXCITED ABOUT THIS D GUYS... FINALLY we are getting faster, and back to being more physical... I Think this offense against the pats last year would have scored more than 34 points off us... not even joking... TO + Evans would be wide open against the corners last year...
    Posted by Coolguy55220[/QUOTE]

I agree 1000%.  The Bills are going to be scary with Evans and T.O.!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I expect the defense to get better the more they play together, but the offensive line is a veteran unit and . . .  ummm . . .   stinks.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Matt Light has problems w/ the elite pass rushers - so, he needs some help. I'm also suprised that they played the spread formation so much in shotgun mode w/ no help in the backfield.  Which means that if our offensive line can't protect Brady, then he's gonna get knocked silly like he did tonight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Glad Pats Won - But The D Is Worse Than Last Year : We win, and you start a thread complaining about a D that gave up 17 points?  GFY.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

LOL....whatever dude. Go fook yourself....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

The defense gave up only 17 pts., got two bogus roughing calls,really laid the lumber,got 4 sacks and made a stand to finish the game.I'll take that any day .Owens and Evans combined for 5 catches for 71 yds. NICE!!!!!! Jackson had 57 yds rushing and Edwards had 25. The only succes they had against the defense was Jackson on the screens(5 for 83 yds). I don't know what else anyone wants.The other guys get paid too.They're going to make some plays. Owens can take his popcorn and watch his 2 catch performance all week long in the film room.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

17 points against a hurry-up offense with T.O., Lee Evans, and Fred Jackson running like a mad man and the defense looked bad? What do we have to do, blank out every team before we are considered a good defense?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

I agree w/ coolguy - I would have liked them to play stronger on the screens and run plays, but there were the positives coolguy mentioned and there were some sacks.

Also - Brady was very tentative in the first half. Think of where this team was last year when Brady got hurt and how they improved all season long. I believe we are starting from a much better position in 2009 - the defense will improve. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

17 pts
    273 total yards
    4 sacks
    4-10 on 3rd down
    T.O. + Lee Evans = 5 catches 71 yards (non-factor)

And all that with two 15 yarders that were completely bogus. One of which negated a 5th!! sack. Minus those it could be seven points.

One game? I would take this "D" over last year's "D" without much deliberation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

YEA guys, i completely agree... Atleast u know this D has potential cuz they have young guys... Last years defense started off sucking and u knew there was not much room for improvement. Plus dont forget, Mayo is our best playmaker on D and he got injured pretty early on. If its the opposite of last year, that is a very good thing for us.
    Just think about this, last year, the Run D was thier strength, but with our offense, teams wont b running much, they'll b passing. So our strength didnt get utilized and our weakness was prayed upon.
    This year, if our Pass D is better, and run D is adequate... that bodes well for this offense, teams will be playing catch up and throwing the ball. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc686. Show jc686's posts

In Response to Glad Pats Won - But The D Is Worse Than Last Year:
    [QUOTE]Didn't deserve it, but I'll take it. Boy, does their D need work or what? Our O line is giong to have their hands full next week, cuz the jets are going to blitz all day long.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

Did you watch the right game?  The Pats D played well, only being responsible for two scores and they were given poor field position all night....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I agree w/ coolguy - I would have liked them to play stronger on the screens and run plays, but there were the positives coolguy mentioned and there were some sacks. Also - Brady was very tentative in the first half. Think of where this team was last year when Brady got hurt and how they improved all season long. I believe we are starting from a much better position in 2009 - the defense will improve. 
    Posted by OldDomPats[/QUOTE]

Yes, the D is young...and a new era has begun.  I'm just hoping our Offense can score some more points and give Wilfork a break...lol.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

1. The Buffalo Bills have proven that they'll do whatever it takes to lose. Just like that game against the Jerks last year when they were running the ball so easily against the Jerks they decide to let the idiot QB roll out for a pass and he fumbles and you know the rest. 
    2. With apologies to Johnny Unitas, Tom Brady is the best QB I ever saw.
    3. I'm worn out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

I think the run D was good too,we gave up only 90 yds rushing with the secondary playing off the line.We just need to watch those screens and dumpoffs to the RB.Jackson got 83 yds out of the teams total of 212 passing yds on them and a TD.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonboyinCA. Show BostonboyinCA's posts

[QUOTE]The defense gave up only 17 pts., got two bogus roughing calls,really laid the lumber,got 4 sacks and made a stand to finish the game.I'll take that any day .Owens and Evans combined for 5 catches for 71 yds. NICE!!!!!! Jackson had 57 yds rushing and Edwards had 25. The only succes they had against the defense was Jackson on the screens(5 for 83 yds). I don't know what else anyone wants.The other guys get paid too.They're going to make some plays. Owens can take his popcorn and watch his 2 catch performance all week long in the film room.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Two of the most bogus roughing the passer calls I have ever seen. Almost like the refs had it in for the Pats...And the secondary was light years better than last year. Thought Brady played well too. Not great playing but take the win and move on, BB style...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

OK, reading some of these posts has me re-thinking my initial assessment a bit. Still not satisfied, but I hadn't fully considered that the screens, runs and underneath stuff was going to be availale if we use our corners to neutralize TO and Evans. It just seemed like Buffalo did better tan 4-10 of 3rd down, but that is the stat. DB's did do some hitting, no question.
    Young LB's, new secondary, lost Mayo early...all in all, not so bad after all.
    Offense....just plain out of sync until it really mattered. I certainly hope everyone as their feet under them now. I was ragging on Light all night, but didn't take into account that we were spread wide so often, leaving him on an island against a Pro Bowl caliber DE. He got one sack and made a very athletic move on the INT.
    Randy may have to find ways to get away from tight man coverage, though. McGee was sharing his jock all night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

Oh, and about those two calls against Wilfork and Thomas....Wilfork's was a BS call, no doubt. Adalius, pretty close, and you know they are going to err in favor of the QB. I thought he could have held off tossing him to the ground (save that for Peyton, Eli or Sanchez - lol - that'll be worth the penalty).

Sections
Shortcuts