Glad Randy Moss is no longer here=====>

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Glad Randy Moss is no longer here=====>

2007 is not walking through that door, get over it.

There, I feel better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here---------------------------------------------------------------->

Yeah. That is the problem in Minny too. Moss is/was no longer the HOF caliber WR from 2007. The guy who would make Rice look slow. 

But he is still a factor. He can kill you if he can turn your safety. He can't be left single covered by most CBs. And he loosens up the area from 10-20 yards out of the LOS by attracting a safety.

If NE gets a shot at bringing (a humbled) Moss back, it would only improve this team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here=====>

I agree with you, Zbellino. New England fans have a habit of swinging from one extreme to the other emotionally when it comes to players. I thought trading Moss was a good idea--he seemed to have lost focus, was becoming a distraction, and--most of all--wasn't all that effective, even when single covered, which is increasingly how teams were covering him. Still, if he's willing to focus and keep his attitude in check (as he did for most of his time in NE), then he's still a very useful player to have on the team, because he still carries safeties back, opening up the underneath game, and he can still make ocassional stunning plays deep.  Assuming Randy's attitude is better now that he's seen how bad it is elsewhere, the one downside I see about bringing him back is how it affects Brady.  Brady was forcing balls to Moss far too often this year and last year too.  For this team to be successful, we need to get guys like Tate, Hernandez, and Gronk more involved in the offense.  If bringing Moss back interferes with that, then maybe it's not so good a move.  But if the offense can stay diverse and balanced, I see little downside to having a guy like Moss on the team, as long as Moss's attitude is what it was a few years ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here=====>:
    I agree with you, Zbellino. New England fans have a habit of swinging from one extreme to the other emotionally when it comes to players. I thought trading Moss was a good idea--he seemed to have lost focus, was becoming a distraction, and--most of all--wasn't all that effective, even when single covered, which is increasingly how teams were covering him. Still, if he's willing to focus and keep his attitude in check (as he did for most of his time in NE), then he's still a very useful player to have on the team, because he still carries safeties back, opening up the underneath game, and he can still make ocassional stunning plays deep.  Assuming Randy's attitude is better now that he's seen how bad it is elsewhere, the one downside I see about bringing him back is how it affects Brady.  Brady was forcing balls to Moss far too often this year and last year too.  For this team to be successful, we need to get guys like Tate, Hernandez, and Gronk more involved in the offense.  If bringing Moss back interferes with that, then maybe it's not so good a move.  But if the offense can stay diverse and balanced, I see little downside to having a guy like Moss on the team, as long as Moss's attitude is what it was a few years ago.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

If we could get the 07 Moss back again I'd think about it but after seeing him force his way out of town from Minn, Oak, NE, then Minn again I just don't see it happening. How I look at it he's seeing that if there is a lock out there is no way he's getting a huge contract in 12'. That's a big reason his complained so much when Brady stopped tossing it to him 12 times a game. When he was traded he was hoping that turning the Vik's season around would help promote him to getting a new deal done instead it back fired. After seeing what NE is doing he decided that getting 4-5 catches a game and double digit TD's on a team with a realistic chance to win a SB was his best way to cash in and sucked up to BB and Kraft while forcing his way out of Minny.

Now on NE's end we have a bunch of YOUNG talented WR's and TE's that are going to need to get looks to develop into solid starters. This was one of the reasons I believe NE started going back to Brady's favorite receiver is the open one. Having a Moss will only hinder their progression which doesn't help Brady a couple years down the road.

Now I can't say that Moss won't be the perfect soldier but given his history I would say we'd see the same Moss as we saw in the Cinn and Buf game. A player that puts in the occasional effort will get his 4-5 catches for 60-80 yards and a TD but won't put any additional effort that might risk his health (ie going across the middle, using his body and blocking a defender for a run, or elevating for a pass if a defender is near by). I'd rather give someone who tries every play regardless if they are first read or not like Tate or Edelman the looks then Moss who seems to only pay attention if he's a first read or has a chance at making a flashy play for a TD

Besides we are heading into the cold time of year where Moss usually turtles and becomes even more ineffective, after thanksgiving and the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I beg to differ. I was fine with us ditching Moss after the Miami game but the difference between his old tirades and this latest one is: he's been from bad to horrible to great back to horrible again. The difference is that "great" in the middle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I beg to differ. I was fine with us ditching Moss after the Miami game but the difference between his old tirades and this latest one is: he's been from bad to horrible to great back to horrible again. The difference is that "great" in the middle.
    Posted by apdynasty23

This is the classic symptom of someone who gets emotional abused but still wants the person. They look great together the first couple times but then you slowly begin to realize some things wrong. When you finally spilt up and you find some thing that isn't as hot but more stable in the long run, all of a sudden the old fling comes back. Your friends and family tell you they aren't right for you and how much they hurt you when they never gave any effort right before you broke up but you only respond "but things are different now. They're a better person and I can change them. They see they were better off with me. It will be like when we first met." It never works out in the end and you are left with someone not giving a full effort again hoping they'd become like they use to be when all along you should have stayed with what was working, the stability.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

See this?

This right here is a leopard.

See the spots?

That's how you know it's a leopard.

No matter what this leopard tells you, it will always have those spots, and you will always be able to tell that it is a leopard. Try as he might, he will never be able to change those spots.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

thanks for the biology lesson???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here===== /> : This is the classic symptom of someone who gets emotional abused but still wants the person. They look great together the first couple times but then you slowly begin to realize some things wrong. When you finally spilt up and you find some thing that isn't as hot but more stable in the long run, all of a sudden the old fling comes back. Your friends and family tell you they aren't right for you and how much they hurt you when they never gave any effort right before you broke up but you only respond "but things are different now. They're a better person and I can change them. They see they were better off with me. It will be like when we first met." It never works out in the end and you are left with someone not giving a full effort again hoping they'd become like they use to be when all along you should have stayed with what was working, the stability.
    Posted by PatsEng

Thanks for your sharing your life story. I'm glad my opinion was enough for you to grab a cookie, sit down, and tell us about your relationship troubles.

Back to Moss.

Listen kid, Branch is already nursing a hamstring (the one concern we all had with him coming back to New England); I love the move still but you had to keep in mind Branch's recent string of injuries. We're not even halfway through the season so who knows if he goes down or someon else goes down. Teams are still trying to find ways to stop our offense and when someone finds something that works, other teams will jump righ on it. WIth Moss back, we have depth, a player that knows our system, and a player that was well liked by everyone in our locker room. If there was a rift between Moss and Obrien, who cares, because Brady was reportedly doing the same thing two weeks ago. We'd be undefeated right now if Brady didn't spend the second half of the Jets game babysitting Moss but that was a slightly different scendario: Moss knew he needed stats to get his payday, which is selfish and the opposite of the Patriot Way. I get that. Still, the situation has turned 180-degrees. Moss got to experience "the other side" and realized it wasn't worth leaving New England.

I'm fine either way but it befuddles me to see fans dismiss the idea altogether.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

You now have a bunch that has all bought in together. It's us mentality we're good LET'S ROLL. Maybe some of the posters could go tell 19,39,42,82,83,84,85,87,11,18  go work and study to get open. And then Oh by the way we're chucking it over your head to someone that can't get open or raise his arm's over his head or break up a INT anymore. I'm not saying that Moss can't be Moss anymore. Just that we have not seen it in sometime. Tom chucking it deep to a covered Moss was there in 07' also. Just Moss quit laying it all on the line to get the ball. As for Welker's catches going down post Moss. Check the stats this year with Moss before you make that call. We can't be a Moss package team either. That's the same as Maroney only come in for the run.

We're building for the long run.   6 draft picks in the 1st three rounds!!! Oakland's trying to mess it up but Carolina and Minny are looking like gems.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here---------------------------------------------------------------->

In Response to Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here---------------------------------------------------------------->:
    Yeah. That is the problem in Minny too. Moss is/was no longer the HOF caliber WR from 2007. The guy who would make Rice look slow.  But he is still a factor. He can kill you if he can turn your safety. He can't be left single covered by most CBs. And he loosens up the area from 10-20 yards out of the LOS by attracting a safety. If NE gets a shot at bringing (a humbled) Moss back, it would only improve this team.
    Posted by zbellino

I say bring Moss back. Welker and Hernandez has not played the same since he left.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

See this? This right here is a leopard. See the spots? That's how you know it's a leopard. No matter what this leopard tells you, it will always have those spots, and you will always be able to tell that it is a leopard. Try as he might, he will never be able to change those spots.
    Posted by p-mike

Is that Leopard covering Branch??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

They've also played vintage Patriots style football since he's been gone. Oh wait, that doesn't show up on a stat sheet so no one mentions that. 

Moss has a hugely negative effect on team morale. He's not a bad guy, he's just very soft and he is toxic for a team trying to develop toughness. He also reacts to adversity like a 12 year old girl. That absolutely has an effect on the team.

ZB, you've changed your tune. Three weeks ago you were cracking jokes and making sarcastic comments about Moss being the ONLY guy able to 'take the top off of the D', then in the same post you mention how Tate had better numbers pre-trade. What has changed? Tate still has comparable numbers and Moss still is a head case. 

In Response to Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here-------------------------------

--------------------------------->:
    In Response to Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here---------------------------------------------------------------- /> : I say bring Moss back. Welker and Hernandez has not played the same since he left.
    Posted by FLY2K

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

He is going to Washington or Dallas, wait and see.  BTW, that's okay with me and it will be okay with him too.

I also agree with p-mike about those spots.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

thanks for the biology lesson???
    Posted by R3S1N20

Referring to the adage that "a leopard cannot change its spots", meaning Moss is Moss regardless if people expect him to be a changed man after learing the error of his ways. 

Like the scorpion getting a ride across the river on the frog's back after convincing the frog that he won't sting him.  The scorpion stings the frog in the middle of the river and the frog says "you've killed us both now."  The scorpion replies, "it's in my nature to sting, I can't change." 

Lesson?  Moss is Moss, regardless of any so called humbling experience he's gone through.  Could he help the Pats?  Yes.  Will he revert to being who he is at some point?  Undoubtedly. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here---------------------------------------------------------------->:
    They've also played vintage Patriots style football since he's been gone. Oh wait, that doesn't show up on a stat sheet so no one mentions that.  Moss has a hugely negative effect on team morale. He's not a bad guy, he's just very soft and he is toxic for a team trying to develop toughness. He also reacts to adversity like a 12 year old girl. That absolutely has an effect on the team. ZB, you've changed your tune. Three weeks ago you were cracking jokes and making sarcastic comments about Moss being the ONLY guy able to 'take the top off of the D', then in the same post you mention how Tate had better numbers pre-trade. What has changed? Tate still has comparable numbers and Moss still is a head case.  In Response to Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here------------------------------- --------------------------------- /> :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

RD,

What post are you talking about? I was pretty even on the Moss trade. I thought they were in some sort of amicable arrangement; i.e., Randy didn't want to  be here, and they did him the service of engineering a trade.

I never made sarcastic remarks about the deal ... my feeling is simple ... if someone doesn't want to play for you, let them go elsewhere. 

RE: his ability. I (have since the offseason) noted that while he still pulls a safety and corner with him down-field, he doesn't beat them as often as he used to, which still makes him a great talent, because he cannot be left alone deep, but does not make him the "Best in the League" anymore.

Re: Tate. Tate's numbers were nothing with moss here, and have improved slightly, but I (like others) sort of envisioned New England would take a few stabs with Tate down-field (which they have done with expectedly varied results from a young player) to try and make up for the lost production and see if they could draw safeties off of Hernandez and Gronk.

I never said Moss was the only person who could take the top off the "D," and even posited Lee Evans as a possible (but slightly inferior) solution to New England lacking a deep threat, and (as above) mentioned New England possibly thinking of Tate in that way as well. I even had a post where I synthesized numbers as to what Tate and Gronk would need to do to replace Moss together (e.g., Tate get 1000 yards and like 5 TDS and Gronk get 500 yards and like 10) while noting it was somewhat optimistic, and that NE would end up missing some of that. .....

I think you have me confused with someone else RD.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportstalk. Show sportstalk's posts

Personally, I don't buy what Randy was selling after the game on Sunday.   IMO that interview was premeditated & done for a purpose.  There is more to Randy Moss than meets the eye.  By all accounts he is extremely intelligent guy.  I believe he is trying to get that new contract in any way possible, that's his one & only goal right now.  If he has to put on a dog & pony show in order to up the likelihood of getting his payday, he will.  Part of me doesn't begrudge him that...he's trying to do what's best for himself & his family.  But I just don't think he's a fit here in New England anymore.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Personally, I don't buy what Randy was selling after the game on Sunday.   IMO that interview was premeditated & done for a purpose.  There is more to Randy Moss than meets the eye.  By all accounts he is extremely intelligent guy.  I believe he is trying to get that new contract in any way possible, that's his one & only goal right now.  If he has to put on a dog & pony show in order to up the likelihood of getting his payday, he will.  Part of me doesn't begrudge him that...he's trying to do what's best for himself & his family.  But I just don't think he's a fit here in New England anymore.
    Posted by sportstalk

It's entirely possible, sportstalk.

Don't forget, if Randy clears waivers (not out of the realm of possibility) the Vikings are on the hook for the rest of his current contract and Randy is free to negotiate another deal on top of that.

Something to think about.

Ohhh . . .   and pochen . . .   I'm not sure comparing Randy to a two-year-old is getting your point across in the fashion you imagined it might.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

People can change, but has Moss? What gives you confidence that he'll be the good Randy Moss? Why didn't things work out in Minnesota? Surely it's not Moss's fault. I mean, the guy talked his way off of two teams and you're convinced he's changed? I really don't buy that. In what way is Randy Moss not batsh!t crazy? Seriously people. Based on this year, there'll be another press conference in three weeks about whatever is on his mind. It won't be about the team. It'll be about whatever is bothering poor Randy.

Time to move on. Look at his numbers. They aren't even good anymore. And all the attention he takes away doesn't make up for his lack of mental toughness and lack of sanity.  

Those examples are pathetic, so you are saying ppl can't change? What about Josh Hamilton? For as many scorpion and its nature story, there are a dozen real life story that stats the opposite. And for those who keep using the nature example, you must not have kids. Kids, if anything, are bad in nature (I am sure there is a debate in that as well, but this is just my opinion), they were born, they grow up, and they start doing the wrong thing without you teaching them the wrong thing. You correct them, and hope they learn, etc etc. My 2 years old is doing the wrong thing every single day without us teaching her to drop food on the floor, to spit food out if she doesn't like it. So ppl can't change? I beg to differ.
    Posted by pochen23

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

For the record, I signed off on the move and still do.

However, the fact he could be of help know what he knows his market value, it may change things.

Moss running around in the random 4 or 5 WR set is not the end of the world.

Any added dimension to this offfense is a plus, not a minus. He acts up, and he's gone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

First of all I doubt Moss will clear waivers so it's really a moot point. Secondly what's the big hurry? If teams want to single cover Tate and Brady can hit him for long gains a couple times a game whats the difference?

Are we worried about Welker's stats or winning the freaking games?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Maybe I am confusing you with someone else. If so, apologies. But the point remains the same. For all the throws going to Moss, he was NOT productive. He had the lowest completion % by a wide margin out of every Pats WR or TE. It wasn't even close. Even when you normalize for the deep throws (you won't complete deep throws for a high %), it wasn't good. I think footballoutsiders did a pretty good piece on this that made the rounds prior to the Moss trade. 

Through the Miami game, Tate had 11 receptions to Moss's 9. Unacceptable performance for a guy that's a headcase (or a guy who puts his own inaccurate vision of business over TEAM). I don't care if he's double teamed. Ball were coming his way and he wasn't catching them like a premier WR should.

There is no doubt that Moss's presence makes other teams put a safety over the top. How did this offense work for the past two years? Predictable play calling and lack of effort by Moss were issues at points. Consistent ball washing of Moss by Belichick and Brady was also there, and there is no room for that if this team is going anywhere. Everyone needs to be accountable.

I think the team will be stronger moving forward without Moss. The pats have a great thing going on now and they'd be foolish to change things up. 

In Response to Re: Glad Randy Moss is no longer here---------------------------------------------------------------- /> : RD, What post are you talking about? I was pretty even on the Moss trade. I thought they were in some sort of amicable arrangement; i.e., Randy didn't want to  be here, and they did him the service of engineering a trade. I never made sarcastic remarks about the deal ... my feeling is simple ... if someone doesn't want to play for you, let them go elsewhere.  RE: his ability. I (have since the offseason) noted that while he still pulls a safety and corner with him down-field, he doesn't beat them as often as he used to, which still makes him a great talent, because he cannot be left alone deep, but does not make him the "Best in the League" anymore. Re: Tate. Tate's numbers were nothing with moss here, and have improved slightly, but I (like others) sort of envisioned New England would take a few stabs with Tate down-field (which they have done with expectedly varied results from a young player) to try and make up for the lost production and see if they could draw safeties off of Hernandez and Gronk. I never said Moss was the only person who could take the top off the "D," and even posited Lee Evans as a possible (but slightly inferior) solution to New England lacking a deep threat, and (as above) mentioned New England possibly thinking of Tate in that way as well. I even had a post where I synthesized numbers as to what Tate and Gronk would need to do to replace Moss together (e.g., Tate get 1000 yards and like 5 TDS and Gronk get 500 yards and like 10) while noting it was somewhat optimistic, and that NE would end up missing some of that. ..... I think you have me confused with someone else RD.
    Posted by zbellino

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Okay, so ask yourself why he wasn't in NE's future plans. Why did he go to a team that didn't give him an extension? Why leave a place you love with a QB and coach combo that you have been successful with to a coach who clearly is not good? 

I think you're giving Moss too much credit. That press conference was an embarrassment and showed Randy's lack of maturity. He tried to relay a simple message, but couldn't because he's such an emotional guy. Why do I bring this up? Because you don't want to be in a dogfight with this guy. I think there's a clear correlation to Moss's performance and the pats struggling in the second half. How many opposing players said Moss laid down in the second half? If fans take off the Pats goggles it really should make you wonder about Moss.

His talent makes him an important part of any team, but that's an issue because he doesn't have the mental makeup to be a leader of any sort. He's great at pretending and is probably a great guy, but he has issues. Real leaders wouldn't play like he did last year against Carolina.  

I don't think he talked his way out of NE to be honest with you. I think, even without the post game comments after game 1, he would have been traded. He was not in the NE future plan, and they would like to get something out of him, pure business move. He has every right to talk himself out of MIN with that clown coach, and it was just Randy being dead honest, he loves NE, would love to keep playing for NE, hate the way MIN operates. I think he was being very consistent on his comments since Day 1, that he wants to stay in NE, was begging NE to even offer him an extension which they never did. I am not sure that he talked his way out of NE unless you truely believe everything that was reported. And honestly, if you read into his game 1 comment, he was dead on. He predicted that since his contract is a problem, the media is going to make up stories like he dogged it or whatever after a bad game. All he was saying was that he won't be a distraction despite his contract, and urge the fans not to buy into what the media has to say, and that he wants to stay in NE and will play hard regardless. Other than the timing, I see nothing wrong with that. But if he wasn't going to talk to the media after that, he might as well get it all out which he did. I truely don't think it was a big deal and what got him traded.
    Posted by pochen23

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Those examples are pathetic, so you are saying ppl can't change? What about Josh Hamilton? For as many scorpion and its nature story, there are a dozen real life story that stats the opposite. And for those who keep using the nature example, you must not have kids. Kids, if anything, are bad in nature (I am sure there is a debate in that as well, but this is just my opinion), they were born, they grow up, and they start doing the wrong thing without you teaching them the wrong thing. You correct them, and hope they learn, etc etc. My 2 years old is doing the wrong thing every single day without us teaching her to drop food on the floor, to spit food out if she doesn't like it. So ppl can't change? I beg to differ.
    Posted by pochen23

To you, my friend, I would say that Moss has a track record of wearing out his welcome when things aren't going his way.  Go ahead and deny it.  He's not a two year old that will take instruction and whom you can control for the most part.  You're influencing kids' behavior and helping them form an indentity.  And you think my example is bad?  You're comparing Moss to a two year old, but I may actually agree with you there, his behavior is similar. 

Moss is a grown man who has a long history of forcing himself out of situations when they don't benefit him.  If that isn't proof that the man won't change his ways, I don't know what is.  It's called a track record. 

It took him 4 weeks to implode in Minny after saying it was the only team he wanted to play for outside of New England.  Don't get me wrong, I like Moss as a player, but that ship has sailed in New England and you have to be completely unobjective and naive if you think that his track record should be ignored if you're so keen to welcome him back 

People can and do change and deserve a chance to prove it -- there I said it, a chance, not 3, not 5.  A chance.  He forced his way out of Minny, only to force his way out of Oakland, only to force his way out of New England, only to vex Minny once again for giving him another shot.  He'll play for someone and hold his tongue until contract time comes up.  If he doesn't get what he wants, his track record suggests that he's on to the next landing spot.

I will miss seeing those big plays, but to ignore his track record is ridiculous.     

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I actually posted something like that too. Brady's rating to Moss this season was in the 60's.

But football is conditional, and it is obvious (for instance) the the early season looks Hernandez was getting were underneath the spots Randy cleared out. 

I can see arguments for and against bringing him back. I will (as if I have a choice, lol) let the waiver process play out, and then let BB decide that one if he has the opportunity to do so. I cannot, as you are doing for your reasons, say NE absolutely should not, simply because he worked well here, and answers some needs in the short term. Although I recognize your concerns about the player.

Pros: 
    He is still a great WR, who just isn't world beating like in 2007, and
    he doesn't need to produce statistically to have an impact ...

He could come cheap!

The players here all love him and consider him a team player ...

Cons:
    He already asked for a trade, and while I wouldn't characterize it as "shooting his way out of NE" it certainly casts a shadow on what bringing him back would mean ...

He threw Minny under the bus ... more unprofessional than anything he has done here in NE... black mark 

He isn't the world's best type player anymore, and this draws attention to his shortcomings as a blocker, and short route runner .... do they lose something, that is to say, by taking Branch/Tate off the field sometimes?

Sections
Shortcuts