Globe comes thru with reset depth chart....well done!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Globe comes thru with reset depth chart....well done!

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/04/resetting_the_r_4.html

Its nice to see a position by position breakdown in each set for the offense and defense. Good job by Bedard.

I would have Chad before Stalworth though, and hopefully he impresses enough to beat out a slowed down Branch! Of course I also agree about one of the only holes being a vet RB( I really think we will correct this with a draft day trade)

On defense I'd like to see a 1st rd DT playing in the Deadrick/Love spot right next to big Vince, 2 guys commanding a double team is how we built the dynasty d-line(Seymour/Ted Washington etc.) I like Brockers!

We fill those 2 holes at rb and d-line and we are scary imo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Re: Globe comes thru with reset depth chart....well done!

He has Cannon at Tackle.  I thought the plan was to use him at Guard.  No?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Globe comes thru with reset depth chart....well done!:
    [QUOTE]He has Cannon at Tackle.  I thought the plan was to use him at Guard.  No?
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

I thought that last year, but he was playing tackle by years end...and some guard. I think Cannon might go down as one of the biggest steals in this past draft. This guy is a beast, as is Solder and a healthy Volmer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I'm kinda curious if BB would select TE Coby Fleener at the end or Rd 1 if he's available?  I'm not sure if there's a blocking TE left in FA, Hernandez and Fells are listed as "F" Tight Ends.  Fleener has not only the great size that BB likes, but has good hands as well.  

BB drafted TE Lee Smith last year in the 5th round who is very similar in size but it didn't pan out.  

Would this combo work?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

[QUOTE]I'm kinda curious if BB would select TE Coby Fleener at the end or Rd 1 if he's available?  I'm not sure if there's a blocking TE left in FA, Hernandez and Fells are listed as "F" Tight Ends.  Fleener has not only the great size that BB likes, but has good hands as well.   BB drafted TE Lee Smith last year in the 5th round who is very similar in size but it didn't pan out.   Would this combo work?  
    Posted by Army2LT[/QUOTE]
    I think Fleener is a stud, but to spend a first round pick on a position that would be considered a strength wouldn't be something I would do if I were in charge (obviously I am not). It just seems like he would get lost in the shuffle, which is not something you want out of you first round guys.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

note than vw was not listed on the nt spot. i really thought he played well as de. i remember he played more LDE however. i think that is the correct side for him. with this reputation, he has ability to rattle QBs when they see him rumbling in. i am not sure why he is not listed as LDE.

i really think they will try to draft an NT not named poe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

The Fells addition really is looking like an incredibly well-thought-out one after ya thhink about it.  Fells is not mauler, like a true blocking TE...but he IS a decent blocker (and gets a bad rap considering as a collegian, he wasn't thrown in and asked to BE a true big blocking TE, and St. Louis is definately not one of those big power formation teams with that 6'7 mauler TE right up at the line).

So what's that mean?  Well, How many TEs do ya wanna keep on your roster?  2 Blocking TEs, and considering how integral Hernandez's TE skill-set is for us, then 2 Pass-Catching TEs too?  Ehh, just for injury sake and because you've specialized the standard TE spot into 2...That's gonna end up cuttin' in to another roster area, standard AND gameday.  And with NE's additions of true FBs now, WITH a pass-catching TE?!?  That would and will hurt other areas of depth pretty considerably.

Enter Fells...  Improving every year.  Guy's on the upswing.  Not a 6'7 265lb mauler in the blocking game- BUT serviceable, Much more serviceable than 6'1 240-somethin'-lb Hernandez will ever trully be (or asked to be- b/c he won't).  But his pass-catching skills ARE decent.  Guy has really good hands, and is surprisingly quick out of his breaks (better than Gronk here, but not ever in the same breath as Hernandez).  Like a big-blocking TE, Fells ain't even remotely straight-line fast, and in terms of his pass-catching ability, Fells is much more similiar to Gronk imo- Really soft hands, quick breaks, and decent size, while short-changing straight-line speed, along with great agility & shiftiness with just enough strength & size to make him a match-up problem and a big YAC threat.  YET, like AH- Fells has a bit better fluidity of body control and is a step quicker out of his breaks than Gronk is (Gronk's already scary quick seein' as how he's moving a 6'7 265lb frame).  He, of course, will never be confused with a true Dallas Clark/AH type of End...NOR will Fells be deemed a great line addition offering a superb blocking skill-set ability.

Daniel Fells is just- Well, He's kinda in between, ain't he?  Gronk's worn and needs a break, or he's hurt for a game, and ya need for Fells to do an adequate job filling in as a true blocking TE...?  He'll be able to do this.  Hernandez gets leveled, yet ya STILL wanna be able to throw in at least some looks with that versatile 2 TE set on field...?  Even though in a very limited way, Daniel Fells CAN do this too for limited amounts...

Smart move securing depth for 2 guys of different and pretty unique skill-sets with 1 guy at 1 position.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Unlike Bedard, My biggest worrisome "lack" is NOT the 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB 'Elelphant Spot(s)...  Man, Greg wasn't here to see just how pathetic NE's entire LB corp looked for some time.  NE's entire LB core, looks as good as it has since 2007-08.  Clearly, I'd love improvement...because lol, It definately isn't anything to write home about.  But very good depth coupled with extrememly young and promising players...They now have that.  They don't have spectacular...but ya gotta pick your battles, here people.

Sign Andre Carter, Draft 1 more DE/OLB, and we're o.k..  Like I said, I can live with "unspectacular" but "young, promising, and deep."  I can't however, live with our current Defensive Line Collection of players, front-line guys in the trenches who as a collective whole, are looking like what we just saw on that link...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]note than vw was not listed on the nt spot. i really thought he played well as de. i remember he played more LDE however. i think that is the correct side for him. with this reputation, he has ability to rattle QBs when they see him rumbling in. i am not sure why he is not listed as LDE. i really think they will try to draft an NT not named poe.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

The guy in the 3 technique position is the guy that can do it all, the best player at tackle plays there.  If Kyle Love is our nose tackle than that position is the largest glaring weakness on the team, either Warren re-signs, Brace steps up or the guy we draft will make him expendable.

Sacks happen inside first, the outside linebackers may get all the glory but you can find speed rusher's all day in free agency.  Bull D tackles are worth high picks and big free agency money, we have a lot of picks.

A good article from an unlikely source... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Globe comes thru with reset depth chart....well done! :  
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

The guy in the 3 technique position is the guy that can do it all, the best player at tackle plays there.  If Kyle Love is our nose tackle than that position is the largest glaring weakness on the team, either Warren re-signs, Brace steps up or the guy we draft will make him expendable. 

>>> no argument here. i have been saying bb is looking for a NT, to upgrade their playoff dline. brockers may be a target. longer than vw... same weight as vw.

... Bull D tackles are worth high picks and big free agency money, we have a lot of picks.

>>> check out brandon thompson's youtube videos. is that what you are describing?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Globe comes thru with reset depth chart....well done! :  check out brandon thompson's youtube videos. is that what you are describing?

I'd like to put Vince back at nose and put a tall guy like Brocker's or Still at end, Vince can play anywhere, but most others can't play nose as good as Vince.  If we wanted a slow, plodding nose who doesn't give up yards, holds his ground but doesn't do much else Brace can already do that.  I hope Brace can be more but the clock is ticking. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]The Fells addition really is looking like an incredibly well-thought-out one after ya thhink about it.  Fells is not mauler, like a true blocking TE...but he IS a decent blocker (and gets a bad rap considering as a collegian, he wasn't thrown in and asked to BE a true big blocking TE, and St. Louis is definately not one of those big power formation teams with that 6'7 mauler TE right up at the line). So what's that mean?  Well, How many TEs do ya wanna keep on your roster?  2 Blocking TEs, and considering how integral Hernandez's TE skill-set is for us, then 2 Pass-Catching TEs too?  Ehh, just for injury sake and because you've specialized the standard TE spot into 2...That's gonna end up cuttin' in to another roster area, standard AND gameday.  And with NE's additions of true FBs now, WITH a pass-catching TE?!?  That would and will hurt other areas of depth pretty considerably. Enter Fells...  Improving every year.  Guy's on the upswing.  Not a 6'7 265lb mauler in the blocking game- BUT serviceable, Much more serviceable than 6'1 240-somethin'-lb Hernandez will ever trully be (or asked to be- b/c he won't).  But his pass-catching skills ARE decent.  Guy has really good hands, and is surprisingly quick out of his breaks (better than Gronk here, but not ever in the same breath as Hernandez).  Like a big-blocking TE, Fells ain't even remotely straight-line fast, and in terms of his pass-catching ability, Fells is much more similiar to Gronk imo- Really soft hands, quick breaks, and decent size, while short-changing straight-line speed, along with great agility & shiftiness with just enough strength & size to make him a match-up problem and a big YAC threat.  YET, like AH- Fells has a bit better fluidity of body control and is a step quicker out of his breaks than Gronk is (Gronk's already scary quick seein' as how he's moving a 6'7 265lb frame).  He, of course, will never be confused with a true Dallas Clark/AH type of End...NOR will Fells be deemed a great line addition offering a superb blocking skill-set ability. Daniel Fells is just- Well, He's kinda in between, ain't he?  Gronk's worn and needs a break, or he's hurt for a game, and ya need for Fells to do an adequate job filling in as a true blocking TE...?  He'll be able to do this.  Hernandez gets leveled, yet ya STILL wanna be able to throw in at least some looks with that versatile 2 TE set on field...?  Even though in a very limited way, Daniel Fells CAN do this too for limited amounts... Smart move securing depth for 2 guys of different and pretty unique skill-sets with 1 guy at 1 position.   
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

I think if the Pats draft a true blocking TE, sign a vet RB and keep both FB's, Fells risks getting cut. I dont think he will, I do think they would keep 4 TE's and only 1 FB, but training camp will be big for Fells.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Globe comes thru with reset depth chart....well done! : The guy in the 3 technique position is the guy that can do it all, the best player at tackle plays there.  If Kyle Love is our nose tackle than that position is the largest glaring weakness on the team, either Warren re-signs, Brace steps up or the guy we draft will make him expendable.  />>> no argument here. i have been saying bb is looking for a NT, to upgrade their playoff dline. brockers may be a target. longer than vw... same weight as vw. ... Bull D tackles are worth high picks and big free agency money, we have a lot of picks. >>> check out brandon thompson's youtube videos. is that what you are describing?

I agree, I want to see a VW/Seymour/TyWarren typ of player that can play all over the D-line and command a double team. If VW goes down with injury for the 1st time we are really sunk for an impact d-linemen. I like Love and Deadrick but neither guy gets game planned for. I miss the days of drafting 1st rd stud DT's like the above.

I agree with Wozzy as well, get the beast next to VW and watch the "edge rushing" problems disappear. JAG's can fill a pass rush if your D-line is dominant in BB's defense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Pats will keep Spencer Larsen unless Fiamatta (sp) really out plays him because the Pats like the versatility Larsen has. He's a football player as BB likes to say.

Now concerning the Globe Article they mention the Patriots do not have a whole lot of depth chart holes. Basicly you are looking for an Elephant (think Willie McGinnest as he is the epitome of what they are looking for), a veteran RB which they might not even look for till the June free agency period as they might find a better option as teams see what they have after the draft, and though they didn't say it I still think they need to add another Olineman.

As for the rest of the positions... The Pats believe and rightly so I believe, that it is important to go get the best player available and not to reach for any particular position need. So when they find that one position availability. they either carry the extra at that position or it allows them to trade or cut a player and gain the extra money on the cap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Very good addition. I don't recall the globe getting one out with this detail before, but Bedard is clearly an X's and O's type guy.

I agree with Bedard. There is a big question mark at DE, specifically at the Elephant side. I don't think getting another dominant tackle simply solves that problem. It helps mask it, but doesn't solve it. Right now the defensive ends are Fanene, who is ok, and Scott, who had one decent season, and has been lackluster since. Both are completely unproven here, but Scott is more of a worry. 

I actually feel really comfortable with the three LBer setup NE has, Ninkovich proved himself to be a solid contributor as a rusher, and an adequate pass defender.

It also looks like Bedard just gave the starting spot to Dowling. I'm not sure it's going to be that easy ... coming off of a whole missed season (essentially) and being a redshirt rookie to boot. Arrington makes less mental mistakes, and BB will take that over athleticism any day. 

But another hole, IMO, is Gregory. I don't feel set starting another backup at FS. Granted, he can't be worse than Barret was, and Brown wasn't much better. 

BB has filled holes ... but it seems he's filled them with cast-offs this time. One could say the roster is "set" like Bedard has, but it's really not set to be very good, IMO. 

The overall talent level on this defense seems really thin in the same old spots. I'm hoping BB can come up with some late additions this season like he did last season, or at least that they get some talent for those spots in the draft.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I just looked at the revised roster it's only missing Josh Barrett. How many WR's do you think stay? 6 is my guess.This draft looks like a defense only draft early unless someone with a ridiculous grade drops in their laps at 27 who is named Richardson,Blackmon or Floyd and either of the two big tackles,otherwise Defense,defense and more defense!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^ From the defensive side of the ball, I think we have added necessary depth in most positions. We still need a starter at FS(Gregrory has the experience though we just don't know yet) DE(anticipating Carter to come back but also need a draft pick imo)DT/NT(move VW around eat up blockers). Then again between Fanine, Deadrick or Brace we may have enough to fill the a role full time.

I am actually comfortable going into next season at CB with McCourty, Kyle, Moore,Ras I,Allen or Cole as a #5, as long as we address safety in the draft or after the cuts.

I too like the LB core, and still have the possibility of a DE/OLB in the draft as a project or possible starter(as Carter is older and coming off injury).

In all I would love to see us draft DT, DE, Safety, and perhaps another LB/safety for depth. If we skip one of the 1st three I would hope its due to a trade for a vet RB!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Very good addition. I don't recall the globe getting one out with this detail before, but Bedard is clearly an X's and O's type guy. I agree with Bedard. There is a big question mark at DE, specifically at the Elephant side. I don't think getting another dominant tackle simply solves that problem. It helps mask it, but doesn't solve it. Right now the defensive ends are Fanene, who is ok, and Scott, who had one decent season, and has been lackluster since. Both are completely unproven here, but Scott is more of a worry.  I actually feel really comfortable with the three LBer setup NE has, Ninkovich proved himself to be a solid contributor as a rusher, and an adequate pass defender. It also looks like Bedard just gave the starting spot to Dowling. I'm not sure it's going to be that easy ... coming off of a whole missed season (essentially) and being a redshirt rookie to boot. Arrington makes less mental mistakes, and BB will take that over athleticism any day.  But another hole, IMO, is Gregory. I don't feel set starting another backup at FS. Granted, he can't be worse than Barret was, and Brown wasn't much better.  BB has filled holes ... but it seems he's filled them with cast-offs this time. One could say the roster is "set" like Bedard has, but it's really not set to be very good, IMO.  The overall talent level on this defense seems really thin in the same old spots. I'm hoping BB can come up with some late additions this season like he did last season, or at least that they get some talent for those spots in the draft.  
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I agree. It scares me that almost everything I've read about Gregory had been pretty much negative (not great in coverage, not much range, too small, drug suspension) - it didn't look like San Diego even tried to resign him.

Maybe Fanene will turn into an impact player after several seasons in the league, but I would of rather seen them pay the extra money for Red Bryant. Scott may have upside (if he returns from the knee injury from two years ago), but why take a chance when you had the money to go get someone else?

In the end good coaching and an offense that should put points up will probably make the moves look ok, but is ok enough? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Globe comes thru with reset depth chart....well done! : I agree. It scares me that almost everything I've read about Gregory had been pretty much negative (not great in coverage, not much range, too small, drug suspension) - it didn't look like San Diego even tried to resign him. Maybe Fanene will turn into an impact player after several seasons in the league, but I would of rather seen them pay the extra money for Red Bryant. Scott may have upside (if he returns from the knee injury from two years ago), but why take a chance when you had the money to go get someone else? In the end good coaching and an offense that should put points up will probably make the moves look ok, but is ok enough? 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Because in Bill Belichicks system depth and versatility has more value then 3or 4 guys commanding a larger portion of the cap. It has worked for him as 5 out of the last 6 seasons his defense has been top 8 in ppg allowed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Globe comes thru with reset depth chart....well done! : Because in Bill Belichicks system depth and versatility has more value then 3or 4 guys commanding a larger portion of the cap. It has worked for him as 5 out of the last 6 seasons his defense has been top 8 in ppg allowed.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I guess what I'm saying is - is Gregory the answer? I can understand signing guys to lower level contracts (2nd tier if you will), but is this guy that? Bill is the guy that signed Rodney Harrison as a second tier free agent.

Bill is also the guy that brought Willie Clay in when Parcells was the head coach. He also brought in Shawn Jefferson (1996), Mike Compton, Bryan Cox, Phiefer...are the guys we brought in this off season like that? Fanene looks like it a bit, but personally I thought the front seven needed a play maker first and foremost before adding these cheaper/depth type of guys. I think that's the problem on defense - there is too many good back up type of talent...starting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree we need 1 or 2 more quality play making starters. I would rather get a vet safety and some young 1st, or 2nd round talent on the D-line. Gregory at least has starting experience and is not old. I would think BB likes him for one part of the system if he brought him in, but of course the jury will be out till we see him play. I'm excited about the prospect of Ras I playing all year in the system(training camp etc.) He looks like a guy that can play as a physical CB/FS.

Sections
Shortcuts