Globe Insinuates Pats' Responsibile for AH

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Globe Insinuates Pats' Responsibile for AH

Apparently to the dismay of the Boston Globe, the Patriots have seemingly moved on and away from the nightmare that is AH. So, the Old Towne tabloid must have thought it to be their duty to try to trash Bob Kraft and his franchise a bit, with this hit piece: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2013/08/24/private-detectives-see-holes-patriots-handling-aaron-hernandez/2UVz7BvUVbPOIEPdG8oRXO/story.html?camp=rss:patriots&dlvrit=834382

Of course, had the Pats, prior to the AH matter becoming known, started to follow around their star players with these wonderful, reputable private eyes, can you imagine what the outcry would have been from The Globe...not to mention from the players? I can just see the anti BB headlines now...such as "Spygate 3", or "BB Running the Patriots Like the KGB"...etc..

It's a real shame that the local newspapers treat Mr. Kraft, BB, and the Patriots as poorly as they do.     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Globe Insinuates Pats' Responsibile for AH

Most millionaires aren't stupid enough to shoot people.  They're almost certainly trading in their mansions for a lifetime of iron bars, loud buzzers, a steel bed and a tiny TV set.  I wouldn't have ever guessed that AHern was going around shooting people.  I'd have to say that everybody was fooled.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

#1 goal of a newspaper:  Sell newspapers.

#2 goal of a newspaper:  None.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't expect Kraft to publicly say what they are doing, but it would be disappointing if they have not stepped up the vetting process before handing over big contracts or drafting potential problems. 

I happen to agree with the article, that it is the future of all major sports to to a better job gathering intel on players

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I don't expect Kraft to publicly say what they are doing, but it would be disappointing if they have not stepped up the vetting process before handing over big contracts or drafting potential problems. 

I happen to agree with the article, that it is the future of all major sports to to a better job gathering intel on players

There is going to be a big issue of "don't ask, don't tell" involved also.  If the guy is an absolute superstar on the field, do they want to dig very deep into his personal life?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

There is going to be a big issue of "don't ask, don't tell" involved also.  If the guy is an absolute superstar on the field, do they want to dig very deep into his personal life?

[/QUOTE]

I think the Hern situation is also going to change contract language. If teams are handing over big bonus money, I think better vetting is happening, including private investigation, FBI, NFL security and team security all on the table. Lets face it, with the presented facts via media outlets, and only waiting on the courts for punishment, the Pats really dropped the ball with Hern. I have already stated my opinion on "we were duped", which simply is not good enough for me. Next years cap for any other team would be "Rustys salary cap hell", but since it is the Pats, Rusty wont peep a word on it....but the cap hit next year is steep for the Pats. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

True...but they've been failing at the #1 goal for quite some time, now. Could it be that their content and biases are in need of a change?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

You cannot be this dumb.  They have enormous dossiers on these kids.  You cannot predict murder.  He had no previous known legal issues.

Case in point: they are keenly aware of kenbrell thompkins and his pre college rap sheet, but is beyond arrogant to pretend an employer should predict murder in the future.

That premise is so dumb.

No you cannot be this dumb. No one said predict murder, but the red flags were so numerous that the Pats dossier wasn't full is beyond dumb on the Pats part. 

Any other team, the " we were duped" excuse would not pass the Rusty test....you have BB too far up your you know what to admit the truth, but I would expect that of you anyways

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

funny I don't remember the globe from predicting hern was going to commit murder last January? Or anyone else?

And unless maybe you had The NSA help you with 4th and 5 th amendment loopholes? Any team should know everything about everything.about everyone

and I am sure that the players union would help the owners with this too?

And finally every company is responsible for any criminal infraction on personal time. yup the Pats should be sued for giving this guy millions ofbucks. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

but seriously I do not understand why any contract would not have language that would indemnify the team from any criminal activity and that would include while a player is defending himself

and that includes bonuses

specially since they are dealing with hi testosterone males with too much money and too many from ruff neighborhoods, just bad lawyering 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

[QUOTE]

True...but they've been failing at the #1 goal for quite some time, now. Could it be that their content and biases are in need of a change?

[/QUOTE]

Despite having only about 650,000 people in the city, the Globe is in the Top 25 of circulation in the USA.  That's pretty good, Pat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

False.

1. Journalistic integrity.

2. Inform the public.

[/QUOTE]

That was before the internet made newspapers obsolete.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Gangsta is a fashion trend.  If AHern was acting as the perfect fashion gangsta 24/7, who could say that he wasn't a millionaire football player posing as a gangsta?  Who could say that he wasn't making up really well researched rumors about the people he had killed, or maybe about the banks he had robbed in his spare time?  Who could say that the Midnight Globe hadn't made up these rumors out of whole cloth?  Various people talk a lot of hooey sometimes.

The Krafts had a really expensive contract in place with the player and they weren't about to spy out the house like the KGB, tick off their gold mine and ruin a good contract on some wild rumors about the celebrity.  Why investigate?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

3 morons actually sold to this to some desparate journalist. Fools

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

funny I don't remember the globe from predicting hern was going to commit murder last January? Or anyone else?

And unless maybe you had The NSA help you with 4th and 5 th amendment loopholes? Any team should know everything about everything.about everyone

And finally every company is responsible for any criminal infraction on personal time. yup the Pats should be sued for giving this guy millions ofbucks. 

Based on what you now know about Hern and his past, even if he was not involved in the Lloyd murder, would you resign him to a $40m contract?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

but seriously I do not understand why any contract would not have language that would indemnify the team from any criminal activity and that would include while a player is defending himself

specially since they are dealing with hi testosterone males with too much money and too many from ruff neighborhoods, just bad lawyering 

Cmon, use your head. The contract language would make the bonus paid refundable to the team if the player broke personal conduct laws, and the remaing bonus due would be null and void. Herns contract had no such language

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think it just comes down to that they didn't think anyone would do this, at least as a member of the team..with so much money at stake and after being a resonable citizen during the time he was on the team. The fact remains that over 50% of the players on this team (or any team) have players with questionable backgrounds...google some of our players, you'll find stuff on just about any one of them. Christ, even Mayo was a draft risk when he came out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Globe is now owned by the Red Sox. Red Sox are getting beaten by the Pats for mindshare of the New England fans. Globe writes derogatory article about Pats. Hmmm, why would the Globe do that? I am just sad it appears the journalistic integrity of the Globe will be no better under John Henry than it was under the NY Times.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Based on what you now know about Hern and his past, even if he was not involved in the Lloyd murder, would you resign him to a $40m contract?

if i knew he was in the Crips - no

If i knew he was a suspect in a double murder - no

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Cmon, use your head. The contract language would make the bonus paid refundable to the team if the player broke personal conduct laws, and the remaing bonus due would be null and void. Herns contract had no such language

Well,

The league contraact calls for x% to go to the players and

The team is requireded to spend to the salary cap

And if not not can go into a players pool

Look , I am not trying to write the definitive contract here, and i am not saying any team should profit form this. But it seems stupid to me to pay for someone who cannot play because of something illegal off the field. Don"tcha think?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

You cannot be this dumb.  They have enormous dossiers on these kids.  You cannot predict murder.  He had no previous known legal issues.

Case in point: they are keenly aware of kenbrell thompkins and his pre college rap sheet, but is beyond arrogant to pretend an employer should predict murder in the future.

That premise is so dumb.

Just pointing out the fact that YOU are the first one to start name calling here.....since you always seem to play victim and claim everyone else starts it....

If you disagree fine....no need to be a jacka$$ about it.

To answer the original thread.....just the paper trying get attention...(AGAIN). Ids anyone really surprised? This is what journalism has become....sell papers at any cost no matter what the content is. Sad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

That premise is so dumb.

No you cannot be this dumb. No one said predict murder, but the red flags were so numerous that the Pats dossier wasn't full is beyond dumb on the Pats part. 

Any other team, the " we were duped" excuse would not pass the Rusty test....you have BB too far up your you know what to admit the truth, but I would expect that of you anyways

[/QUOTE]

Here is my problem with you on this. You say the Pats could have done more and when people say so they should have know he had the potential to muder someone. You say no. You can't imply that then say I am not trying to say that without explaining yourself and getting all upset. Just say you think Kraft knew Hernendaz was going to murder someone or move on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Despite having only about 650,000 people in the city, the Globe is in the Top 25 of circulation in the USA.  That's pretty good, Pat.

Did you see what the Globe sold for? Relatively speaking...chump change.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

just to sell newspaper ads. No biggie, lots of media outlets use tactics like this. AH is accountable for AH.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

That premise is so dumb.

[/QUOTE]

Here is my problem with you on this. You say the Pats could have done more and when people say so they should have know he had the potential to muder someone. You say no. You can't imply that then say I am not trying to say that without explaining yourself and getting all upset. Just say you think Kraft knew Hernendaz was going to murder someone or move on.

[/QUOTE]

I had no problem drafting Hern. I do believe Meyer lied to BB about Hern...there is no way Meyer told the truth and the Pats still drafted him.

I do have a problem with the extension...if the Pats had done due dilligence, (including following him) I do think they could have come to a decision that he was capable of murder. It also seems that a discussion with the Boston police dept would have concluded that Hern was a potential suspect in the prior double murder...I simply find it astonishing the Pats did not find this out, when it was there in simple black and white...

It is no secret how put off I was with this situation at the time. I posted numerous times on the topic, much to the chagrin of many. I have been at the facility A LOT during camp...I have not heard one peep about anyone losing their jobs, any beefing up of the security department...nothing. (this does not mean nothing happened, just I had not heard of it, simply snooping around some people at the facility)