Globe Insinuates Pats' Responsibile for AH

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Re: Globe Insinuates Pats' Responsibile for AH

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

#1 goal of a newspaper:  Sell newspapers.

#2 goal of a newspaper:  None.

False.

1. Journalistic integrity.

2. Inform the public.

Yeah that was it 30 years ago before competition from cable news and the internet. Now Not-A-Shot is closer to the truth.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Yeah that was it 30 years ago before competition from cable news and the internet. Now Not-A-Shot is closer to the truth.

"If it bleeds, it reads."

Also, "If it bleeds, it leads."

Newspapers aren't non-profit community service organizations.

They don't exist for any other reason but to make money.  Now, there may be some journalists who try to bring the hard hitting stories that we want to know about etc etc etc, but the only goal of a newspaper is to sell more newspapers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

What has happened to the Boston Globe will soon happen to the "great" NY Times. I wonder why? Here's an article on the sale, and the declining popularity of these once great bastions of journalism:

Strikeout: NYTimes Sells Boston Globe to Red Sox Owner at Huge Loss

Cortney O'Brien | Aug 03, 2013

When the New York Times Company purchased the Boston Globe in 1993 for $1.1 billion, they probably didn’t foresee selling it 20 years later at a harsh 93 percent loss. But, the Boston Red Sox owner John W. Henry’s straight cash deal was too enticing for the financially burdened Times to resist. In February, the company announced it was putting the Globe up for sale, and this Saturday it sold the 141 year-old paper and its other New England media properties to Henry for just $70 million.

This huge profit loss comes as the Times is already struggling with an industry wide decline in advertising, which has caused a drop in sales and stock prices. Its ad revenue has now fallen for 11 straight quarters. To make matters worse, the company will need to offset the Globe's pension liabilities, which are estimated at over $100 million.

The New York Times itself was obligated to cover the unfortunate news:

Like most newspapers, the Globe has struggled to hold onto its readers and the print advertisers who fed its profits for decades. According to the Alliance for Audited Media, circulation at The Globe from Monday through Friday declined 38 percent in 2013 from 2003, to 245,572 from 402,423. Before the Times Company bought The Globe in 1993, The Globe had a weekday circulation of 506,996.

Despite the dismal statistics and subsequent loss, Mark Thompson, chief executive of The New York Times Co., is remaining optimistic.

"As a result of this agreement, we will be able to sharpen our company focus on and investments in The New York Times brand and its journalism."

Positive words, but the Times’ future continues to look grim. The troubled newspaper had opportunities in the past to sell the Globe, but either declined because the interested buyer did not offer enough up-front cash, or was too conservative. As such, the less-than-ideal cash sale to Henry is expected to close in 30-60 days.

This may be one headline the Times wishes wasn’t “fit to print.”

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2013/08/03/uh-oh-boston-globe-sale-spells-disaster-for-new-york-times-n1655588

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

if you really do the accounting - they sold for 70M and still owe 110M that means they sold it for a loss

NYT is owned by a guy (from mexico) who don't even have to break even,

They talk about how we must be good to unions , how to run businesess, and look how they treat their own

If the NYT fails there will be a tidal wave of 2ndary failures and a big loss of liberal doctrine. The NYT is a primary resource of national and international stories for a plethora of 2ndary papers

I still like reading real paper - i get tired of the screen, but someday i may not have a choice

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

If the NYT fails there will be a tidal wave of 2ndary failures and a big loss of liberal doctrine. 

Wouldn't that be a shame.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

If the NYT fails there will be a tidal wave of 2ndary failures and a big loss of liberal doctrine. 

Wouldn't that be a shame.

i was very disappointed that the mexicano bailed them out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to glenr's comment:

"If it bleeds, it reads."

Also, "If it bleeds, it leads."

Newspapers aren't non-profit community service organizations.

They don't exist for any other reason but to make money.  Now, there may be some journalists who try to bring the hard hitting stories that we want to know about etc etc etc, but the only goal of a newspaper is to sell more newspapers.

ads...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

if you really do the accounting - they sold for 70M and still owe 110M that means they sold it for a loss

They talk about how we must be good to unions , how to run businesess, and look how they treat their own

If the NYT fails there will be a tidal wave of 2ndary failures and a big loss of liberal doctrine. The NYT is a primary resource of national and international stories for a plethora of 2ndary papers

I still like reading real paper - i get tired of the screen, but someday i may not have a choice

a big loss in liberal doctrine? hahahaha  u must be old

yeah like any printed paper is carrying anyone's doctrine anymore...say u know rush limbaugh has lost almost 50 sponsors in the last 3 months and faux news ratings have tumbled? better get some better sources to provide that conservative doctrine

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

...say u know rush limbaugh has lost almost 50 sponsors in the last 3 months and faux news ratings have tumbled? better get some better sources to provide that conservative doctrine

Your sources? Rush just signed a new radio deal. As for Fox News ratings "tumbling", that's hardly the case: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/q2-2013-ratings-fox-news-1-for-11-12-years_b186570

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

yeah like any printed paper is carrying anyone's doctrine anymore...say u know rush limbaugh has lost almost 50 sponsors in the last 3 months and faux news ratings have tumbled? better get some better sources to provide that conservative doctrine

Now, this is according to the May cable news ratings, so it's not the most current info.  It's the most current I could find, however.  And before you suggest it was taken from a right wing site, I'll tell you that that Huffington Post isn't really a right wing champion.  Read more here.

"Coverage of the Jodi Arias trial and the Oklahoma tornado threw cable news ratings into a bit of a tailspin during the month of May.

While Fox News dominated the ratings as usual with the top thirteen programs, there was a big shakeup with the other networks."

Limbaugh is a radio DJ and a dope.  Every group has it's extremists.  He doesn't make or set policy or precendent, so he doesn't even matter.  He's no more relevant to the right wing as those crazy mothers in Berkeley, CA vs. the Marines.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I don't expect Kraft to publicly say what they are doing, but it would be disappointing if they have not stepped up the vetting process before handing over big contracts or drafting potential problems. 

I happen to agree with the article, that it is the future of all major sports to to a better job gathering intel on players

You cannot be this dumb.  They have enormous dossiers on these kids.  You cannot predict murder.  He had no previous known legal issues.

Case in point: they are keenly aware of kenbrell thompkins and his pre college rap sheet, but is beyond arrogant to pretend an employer should predict murder in the future.

That premise is so dumb.

No you cannot be this dumb. No one said predict murder, but the red flags were so numerous that the Pats dossier wasn't full is beyond dumb on the Pats part. 

Any other team, the " we were duped" excuse would not pass the Rusty test....you have BB too far up your you know what to admit the truth, but I would expect that of you anyways

You're not fooling anyone just like when you claimed you weren't obsessed with the Jets the other day. Everyone knows your unhealthy love for the Jets in here, in partciular, since 2010. You have lost 2 bets to me when you took the Jets position in each case. WHy do you think I called out back then?

So, don't try to sound smart above and tell the board "I think" this will change contract language.

I said that 3 weeks ago in a similar discussion.

I am flattered you want to piggyback off me, but many are way, way ahead of you on this topic.

We have an entitlement problem with the Millennial Generation and in the NFL via the NCAA. That's really what a lot of this is about.

It's not just Aaron Hernandez. It's Javon Belcher. Think Mike Vick with dogfighting. Think why Paterno and Penn Stat hid the abuses.

Money.

NCAA-->Agents-->NFL Money.

Ol Rogie Goodell, if he really wanted to, could work with Congress and slap down the NCAA, institute regulations which do things like not allowing any agent contact until you finish your junior year of college.

Stuff like that.

To pretend the Aaron Hernandez situation, is exclusive to Bob Kraft and BB, is a complete and utter joke.

But, yeah, good job piggybacking off my previous comments about contract language..

I would not be shocked if the PAts recoup the money in full once Hernandez is convicted.  They'll sue to get it back.

From here on out, for teams to protect themselves, there will be language in there. There is no way a player should be getting paid while held in jail. Once a player is denied bail, the contract should be able to be suspended or even voided. 

If you can't get bail, obviously the evidence is so damning, getting paid while in there, possibly shifting money overseas, etc, is ridiculous.

Adults need to be held accountable for their own actions.  These turds trying to make a buck off the backs of Kraft and BB (yet again), is disgusting.

1) I usually do not read a thing you post, so "piggy backing" you is never an issue. if we agreed on something, so be it

2) yet you post on the Jets every day, and I have not mentioned them since I bludgeoned you on the salary cap issue

funny you think I the troll?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I don't expect Kraft to publicly say what they are doing, but it would be disappointing if they have not stepped up the vetting process before handing over big contracts or drafting potential problems. 

I happen to agree with the article, that it is the future of all major sports to to a better job gathering intel on players

You cannot be this dumb.  They have enormous dossiers on these kids.  You cannot predict murder.  He had no previous known legal issues.

Case in point: they are keenly aware of kenbrell thompkins and his pre college rap sheet, but is beyond arrogant to pretend an employer should predict murder in the future.

That premise is so dumb.

No you cannot be this dumb. No one said predict murder, but the red flags were so numerous that the Pats dossier wasn't full is beyond dumb on the Pats part. 

Any other team, the " we were duped" excuse would not pass the Rusty test....you have BB too far up your you know what to admit the truth, but I would expect that of you anyways

Here is my problem with you on this. You say the Pats could have done more and when people say so they should have know he had the potential to muder someone. You say no. You can't imply that then say I am not trying to say that without explaining yourself and getting all upset. Just say you think Kraft knew Hernendaz was going to murder someone or move on.

I had no problem drafting Hern. I do believe Meyer lied to BB about Hern...there is no way Meyer told the truth and the Pats still drafted him.

I do have a problem with the extension...if the Pats had done due dilligence, (including following him) I do think they could have come to a decision that he was capable of murder. It also seems that a discussion with the Boston police dept would have concluded that Hern was a potential suspect in the prior double murder...I simply find it astonishing the Pats did not find this out, when it was there in simple black and white...

It is no secret how put off I was with this situation at the time. I posted numerous times on the topic, much to the chagrin of many. I have been at the facility A LOT during camp...I have not heard one peep about anyone losing their jobs, any beefing up of the security department...nothing. (this does not mean nothing happened, just I had not heard of it, simply snooping around some people at the facility)

Christ, you're dumb.  Meyer unlikely lied to BB. Again, many of the red flags did not include off field thuggery.  All you can do is go by what you see. Meyer sees a hardworking Hernandez who lost his father, had some struggles, so he tries to counsel him a bit.  Hernandez responds and all is well for 4 years at Florida.  

There was probably some reassurance from Meyer  to BB that Hernandez is improving, maturing, and could be coached. That's it.  Stop acting like there is some other responsibility of either Meyer or BB.

You need to remove the idea that anyone could foresee murder. Maybe an off the field fighting, a DUI, drugs, they typical problems.  Sure.  That risk may be there with a lot of picks.

Michael Buchanan is an example.  7th rd pick, Some said he was a 3rd or 4th rd value but a DUI and a fight off the field hurt his draft stock. I knew people who got into fights in college. Stuff happens. Look at Dennard. The kid has a clean record his whole life, is outside a bar, accosted by some over-zealous Nazi cop in a college town in plain clothes and now he has a felony on his record.  

So, BB took a flyer on him in the 4th. If his crystal ball told him "this player will murder someone in the next couple years", he would have been off the Pats board.

BB has taken or absorbed questionable people before. All teams have.

Kenbrell Thompkins has a rap sheet from high school. I am sure NE called the Cincy coach and inquired heavily into Thompkins.

Enough with this atttiude that there is more to this than meets the eye. Apparently, Hernandez is a sociopath and no one really knew it.

please let me know when you pass reading comprehension in grade school...I never said anyone could predict murder...learn to read. I said prior to the extension, NOT THE DRAFTING OF HERN, the Boston Police Dept had Hern as a suspect in a double murder...why didnt the Pats know of this???

Shoddy vetting of an employee due $40m (unheard of in the business community)

or

Didnt want to know

or

Did know and dismissed the evidence

or

Was "duped" due to a kiss when greeting and a donation to the Myra foundation

Sounds lame imo... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

'He had no previous known legal issues'. Really. All but 2 teams pasted on AH for good reason. As a teen, he was already involved with drugs and thugs. He dropped to the 4th round because of '6 failed drug tests, gand activity, questionable temperament and significant character concerns'. That was on every GM's clipboard.

In '07 at UF initiated an off campus bar brawl and was granted deferred proscecution for being charged as a juvenile. Same year, he's implied for a double shooting of 2 men, one critical. Team mates with him at the time remained tight lipped. Flags weren't flacid on the character poles.

Since his drafting, he's now implied in a possible double murder in downtown Bean Town, has a civil complaint files against him by a Alex Bradley, a man convicted and serving 18 months in jail for cocaine sale. Bradley, as you all know by now, was shot in the face by AH, lost his right eye and much use of his right arm. In May of this year he was again involved in a bar fight in Providence. Now the Lloyd murder case and abstructing justice.

A well documented violent history and yet BB, trying desperately to regain his 'genius' stature, drafts the punk thug anyway. Sure Crust, 'no previous legal issues'.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

oh boy,

if you don't understand that the NYT is still the #1 liberal, progressive news source I can not help you. Will they always be? Maybe, maybe not - depends on how they evolve. Right now Billionaire lefties are trying to save them. NYT,BG,WP and LA times next. And the reason for that? You tell me, if you can.

Has print media been marginalized? A lot. But I wish the NYT would go away altogether! Every major politician today still reads it, and most left wing publications (including the HP , Politco, etc) still follow it's lead. Unfortunately, what the NYT talks about, they all talk about. And what they don't talk about , few talk about

The entire media has been Balkanized, and overrun with Political Correctness to be used to beat people over the head. Maybe there will be a better day - but not soon - as you have just demonstrated.

I do not worry about any millionaires or Rush. Rush loses sponsors and he gets new ones.  I doubt you have ever really "listened " to him. Or if you have, it is out of context or with a mental blockage. They have been gunning for him for 25 yrs. They do it by threatening sponsors - so much for freedom of speech. 

In the end the choice is between

Big Government, Big Business, Big Unions, Big Media, Big Hollywood, Big/Elitist Education and useful Idiots. Which is the defintion of facism. And is what Stalin called Hitler for Hitlers' brand of socialism (See Detroit for example of liberal dogma) and please i am not talking about the Holocaust

OR

Individual freedoms, Free markets,   (and that means for you too).

This is not the forum for talking politics and I will probably curse myself for posting this.

However, I doubt you understand what is facing us, and I feel sorry for you, and us. If you do want to begin understanding,  try "googling" Ricard A Epstein. I f you can begin to even understand him, you might be worth talking to about something serious. Good luck, I think you will need it.

And btw when you get old - what ever that is - I hope you pull this out so you can see that you should then see yourself as irrelevant - but then why wait.

I am now going back to just talking about the Pats. I have no desire for anything else. Thisis my escape, but there is a thread of intolerance here. From now on if the post is not directly linked to the Pats, and there is name calling - I won't read and devolve into it. And finally I do not care about anyone's political views (great, you are more than welcome to them, really ).  When it comes to discussing the Pats I just want good sports conversation. I agree with alot of what is said by quite a few fans . and I disagree too. But with respect. Just like being at a bar shooting the s***

Sorry for the rift but this post I answered to was intolerant, rude and thoughtless.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

oh boy,

if you don't understand that the NYT is still the #1 liberal, progressive news source I can not help you. Will they always be? Maybe, maybe not - depends on how they evolve. Right now Billionaire lefties are trying to save them. NYT,BG,WP and LA times next. And the reason for that? You tell me, if you can.

Has print media been marginalized? A lot. But I wish the NYT would go away altogether! Every major politician today still reads it, and most left wing publications (including the HP , Politco, etc) still follow it's lead. Unfortunately, what the NYT talks about, they all talk about. And what they don't talk about , few talk about

The entire media has been Balkanized, and overrun with Political Correctness to be used to beat people over the head. Maybe there will be a better day - but not soon - as you have just demonstrated.

I do not worry about any millionaires or Rush. Rush loses sponsors and he gets new ones.  I doubt you have ever really "listened " to him. Or if you have, it is out of context or with a mental blockage. They have been gunning for him for 25 yrs. They do it by threatening sponsors - so much for freedom of speech. 

Big Government, Big Business, Big Unions, Big Media, Big Hollywood, Big/Elitist Education and useful Idiots. Which is the defintion of facism. And is what Stalin called Hitler for Hitlers' brand of socialism (See Detroit for example of liberal dogma) and please i am not talking about the Holocaust

OR

This is not the forum for talking politics and I will probably curse myself for posting this.

However, I doubt you understand what is facing us, and I feel sorry for you, and us. If you do want to begin understanding,  try "googling" Ricard A Epstein. I f you can begin to even understand him, you might be worth talking to about something serious. Good luck, I think you will need it.

And btw when you get old - what ever that is - I hope you pull this out so you can see that you should then see yourself as irrelevant - but then why wait.

I am now going back to just talking about the Pats. I have no desire for anything else. Thisis my escape, but there is a thread of intolerance here. From now on if the post is not directly linked to the Pats, and there is name calling - I won't read and devolve into it. And finally I do not care about anyone's political views (great, you are more than welcome to them, really ).  When it comes to discussing the Pats I just want good sports conversation. I agree with alot of what is said by quite a few fans . and I disagree too. But with respect. Just like being at a bar shooting the s***

Sorry for the rift but this post I answered to was intolerant, rude and thoughtless.

Amen, brother.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

We can add the Boston Herald as, at least indirectly, insinuating that the Pats are responsible for the acts of AH. Mr. Credibility, Ron Borges, has seemingly lent his "journalistic skills" to that pillar of integrity, Rolling Stone magazine.

I have never seen a home town franchise be so savagely and indiscriminately attacked as the Patriots have by the Globe, and now, the Herald. Pats fans should boycott the Herald, until a denouncement of the biased Ron Borges opinion is printed, and Borges is fired: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/28/rolling-stone-story-goes-hard-on-patriots-handling-of-hernandez/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

As was the case with spygate 2 on the eve of SB 42, this is an attempt by BB hater Borges and the media to distract the Patriots on the eve of the start of the 2013 season.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

oh boy,

OR

It has nothing to do with liberal or conservative, it's about money and how much can be made by pumping poison into the veins of the consumer via the internet, radio or tv.

It's why a company like Clear Channel, for example, owns a lot of radio stations. They can apply their model across the board into different markets and since there is no competition, with them buying it all up, there is no one to call them out or challenge them.

Same concept here.  

For every liberal outlet, I can name a conservative one.

The other day I mistakenly had on some AM radio station and I knew it was a right wing nutjob one because I heard the guy saying the Egyptian Revolution from a few years ago was supported by Obama because it meant the Muslim Brotherhood "candidate" being elected.

It's that kind of disingenuous analysis that creeps people out. Someone either believes that garbage or has been brainwashed to believe it. Either way, it's a problem in our society because the customers/voters are out there. SOmeone is listening to that and agreeing.

Rus

I am just going to walk away from this topic and have great discussion about the Pats with you

Sections
Shortcuts