GM'S Prviately Saying They are Staying Away from Michael Sam to Avoid a Circus

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

GM'S Prviately Saying They are Staying Away from Michael Sam to Avoid a Circus

NFL roster cuts wrapped up over the weekend, leaving teams with their final 53 players, and the start of their practice squads. The St. Louis Rams released Michael Sam, and since then he has not signed to any practice squad. The Rams decision to release Sam makes sense, given their incredible depth along the defensive line.

Since then, we've had two separate national writers get anonymous general managers commenting on Michael Sam. Peter King's MMQB column included a comment about three "team architects" saying they were "concerned about the circus coming to town" with Sam trying to make a roster. Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman tweeted that an anonymous general manager suggested teams wanted to sign Sam but feared the media attention.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/1/6093917/general-managers-concerned-about-media-circus-surrounding-michael-sam

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JOHNharvey12345. Show JOHNharvey12345's posts

Re: GM'S Prviately Saying They are Staying Away from Michael Sam to Avoid a Circus

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NFL roster cuts wrapped up over the weekend, leaving teams with their final 53 players, and the start of their practice squads. The St. Louis Rams released Michael Sam, and since then he has not signed to any practice squad. The Rams decision to release Sam makes sense, given their incredible depth along the defensive line.

Since then, we've had two separate national writers get anonymous general managers commenting on Michael Sam. Peter King's MMQB column included a comment about three "team architects" saying they were "concerned about the circus coming to town" with Sam trying to make a roster. Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman tweeted that an anonymous general manager suggested teams wanted to sign Sam but feared the media attention.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/1/6093917/general-managers-concerned-about-media-circus-surrounding-michael-sam" rel="nofollow">http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/1/6093917/general-managers-concerned-about-media-circus-surrounding-michael-sam

[/QUOTE]

they are probably homophobic, drop bequette and sign Sam, three years and bequette has shown nothing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: GM'S Prviately Saying They are Staying Away from Michael Sam to Avoid a Circus

In response to JOHNharvey12345's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/1/6093917/general-managers-concerned-about-media-circus-surrounding-michael-sam" rel="nofollow">http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/1/6093917/general-managers-concerned-about-media-circus-surrounding-michael-sam" rel="nofollow">http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/1/6093917/general-managers-concerned-about-media-circus-surrounding-michael-sam" rel="nofollow">http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/1/6093917/general-managers-concerned-about-media-circus-surrounding-michael-sam" rel="nofollow">http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/1/6093917/general-managers-concerned-about-media-circus-surrounding-michael-sam

they are probably homophobic, drop bequette and sign Sam, three years and bequette has shown nothing.

[/QUOTE]

that is a point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Is this surprising? It's Tebow II. His talent is marginal at best. Not worth the trouble.

Whatever you think of Bequette, he has prototypical size and athleticism, and they've invested a few years in the guy. He's a better bet to help them than Sam would be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JOHNharvey12345. Show JOHNharvey12345's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is this surprising? It's Tebow II. His talent is marginal at best. Not worth the trouble.

Whatever you think of Bequette, he has prototypical size and athleticism, and they've invested a few years in the guy. He's a better bet to help them than Sam would be.

[/QUOTE]

i know bequette has the tools but in 3 years he has barely seen the field. Don't you think its time to try somethig else? we got nothing to lose

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Aren't the cowboys signing him to their practice squad?

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looks like it. Goodell called in a favor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

I think it's stupid to discriminate in general, but in particular with regards to business matters. 

That said, I read Sam does not practice all that well, so he won't push teammates as a PS player. And, without playing STs, he has little value as a reserve LB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Who didn't see THIS coming? The only thing I'm surprised at is that a covey of reporters from ABC Sports and ESPN isn't screaming that he was cut because he was gay. I wouldn't sign him either for the circus reason. What  he does in his private life is his business but the media mess is all about his sex life (which we care NOTHING about) and not his play on the field. But when you take all the glory for being "so brave", and come out in public with it, don't be shocked if you get cut because of your marginal talent. If this guy was so good, he wouldn't have needed to "come out" to get all the weepy "inspiring" attention. Just play the stupid game and let your play speak for you. The fact that he did this before even being drafted was super duper, ultra, maxi LAME as far as I'm concerned. He's a footnote in NFL history, come and gone. Now he can get back to his private life that we care nothing about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JOHNharvey12345. Show JOHNharvey12345's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who didn't see THIS coming? The only thing I'm surprised at is that a covey of reporters from ABC Sports and ESPN isn't screaming that he was cut because he was gay. I wouldn't sign him either for the circus reason. What  he does in his private life is his business but the media mess is all about his sex life (which we care NOTHING about) and not his play on the field. But when you take all the glory for being "so brave", and come out in public with it, don't be shocked if you get cut because of your marginal talent. If this guy was so good, he wouldn't have needed to "come out" to get all the weepy "inspiring" attention. Just play the stupid game and let your play speak for you. The fact that he did this before even being drafted was super duper, ultra, maxi LAME as far as I'm concerned. He's a footnote in NFL history, come and gone. Now he can get back to his private life that we care nothing about.

[/QUOTE]

he had a good PR guy but i would still see what he has

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

He can only play de in a 4-3 and nothing else

no STs , no Lb

There are only 15 other teams that playa4-3

There are gay players in the NFL

If Sam was talented the GMs would gobble him up

The fact that he could be cut , and fail like 700other players on Saturday just like anyone else, is a great thing

He was liked, Fisher did a good thing, it was about football

next gay player should be ho hum

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

It is sad the media can't look at Michael Sam for what he is: a potential professional football player trying to make a team, nothing more, nothing less. It is the media's fault for all the other stuff they add to make "drama" out of this whole fiasco.  I am certain Michael Sam wants to tell the media to .. " all of you go the f**k away!".

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You do realize he was voted SEC Player of the YEar right?  The SEC is widely considered the best and most competitive NCAA conference around.

It's not "marginal" talent at all. He may have peaked as a college player, but we really don't know that yet either.

I could see if he had a terrible preseason or something, but he didn't. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JOHNharvey12345. Show JOHNharvey12345's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is sad the media can't look at Michael Sam for what he is: a potential professional football player trying to make a team, nothing more, nothing less. It is the media's fault for all the other stuff they add to make "drama" out of this whole fiasco.  I am certain Michael Sam wants to tell the media to .. " all of you go the f**k away!".

[/QUOTE]

i doubt that! he was the one who about a month before the draft decided to come out, he loves the attention the media gives him

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Rusty.. I am certain he didn't expect it to derail this opportunity and the circus it did create. He should have known better.  One hopes he didn't come out to have an excuse at hand if he does fail to make a team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Rusty.. I am certain he didn't expect it to derail this opportunity and the circus it did create. He should have known better.  One hopes he didn't come out to have an excuse at hand if he does fail to make a team.

[/QUOTE]

he came out in college.

he was going to be asked about being gay at the combine. he chose to make it public knowledge. it wouldve come out anyway and it was better for him and every gay person in the world that he did rather than he be exposed as a closeted gay male football player) . if youve even been gay or black in a bigoted society, you (one) might have insight into the situation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

too bad (for his sake)  sf or seattle didnt step up

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Avery good sec player does not automatically mean life in the NFL

A tweeter is a tweeter, he is too slow to play with his hands off the ground in the nfl, and a border line talent has to do multiple things to stay on a team

If Bb thought he had a spot for him here, it wouldn't stop him

I think unnamed GMs who thought he could help their team and didn't pick him  up should be fired for not doing his job

Once he was cut, the story ww over, no matter where he goes
    Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I will say this about Sam:

If he is discriminated against for this, it reflects badly on our society and showcases why our society is really slow and dumb in its Puritanical traditions that hold us back.    I don't know what more anyone wants. He is gay, realized it would cause a stir, but put the principle above his own personal career in a sense.

Isn't the idea of GMs being in fear of a circus reflective of why Sam SHOULD NOT have come out as gay to be selfish for his own career, knowing it would be an easier path? I think so.

The irony of him really trying to be genuine and honest and now he's being villified for it, as the media tries to profit off him?

The irony.

It should not be a story any more, but the greedy and pathetic media wants it to be. That is not Sam's fault. That is the media's fault.

As stated prior, I thought it was hypocritical for him to even consider the Oprah thing and it was a good move he didn't do that but I also think there are so many god awful teams in this league right, especially more so in the AFC, that there has to be a spot on the PS for a guy who just won SEC PLayer of the Year last year. He doesn't need to pull a Tebow and he best be careful.

To me, I would let him put his money where his mouth is. Dallas is making a good move.  Shocking, I know because they don't make good moves.  I actually was hoping we'd sign him for the PS because clearly as even a 3rd down 4-3 subrusher he might do something. But, there have been rumors he doesn't practice well which is not what BB wants from the PS guys. He wants guys to push for a spot and push the starters every week.

Lastly, in Sam's mind, by coming out and really bashing down the door for others who may feel trapped in society in such a masculine situation as playing football, by falling on the sword, he probably felt he was ending any baggage that might come later on in his early career.

I just don't buy his intentions are about it being about him and isolating himself as this moneymaker for being gay.

If that were the case, he'd have cashed in already and made the move for that. The book deal would be done, he'd have done the Oprah thing and he'd be on WWF Raw or whatever it is right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Sam just isn't a good nfl player. Plain and simple. He is a very limited player and he isn't even a good practice player from recent reports. I think if he is on a team after showing the type of nfl player he is then that team is looking for publicity or for some type of image gain. From most reports this guy doesn't deserve to be on a team.

I think if he is on a team it's because he is gay, instead of not being on a team because he is gay. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Teams wouldn't mind the Circus if the performer was a star attraction.

Championship sport teams have always given a pass to elite talent even though those stars often came with distractions.

To name a few:  Dennis Rodman (Bulls), Reggie Jackson (Yankees), Deion Sanders (Falcons, Niners, Cowboys).

Every year the NFL loses about 20-25% of their coaches.  They are fighting for survival.  GMs aren't exempt either.  Every edge counts.  They aren't going to turn down talent that they know will make their teams better.

Sam is simply not good enough.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Teams wouldn't mind the Circus if the performer was a star attraction.

Championship sport teams have always given a pass to elite talent even though those stars often came with distractions.

To name a few:  Dennis Rodman (Bulls), Reggie Jackson (Yankees), Deion Sanders (Falcons, Niners, Cowboys).

Every year the NFL loses about 20-25% of their coaches.  They are fighting for survival.  GMs aren't exempt either.  Every edge counts.  They aren't going to turn down talent that they know will make their teams better.

Sam is simply not good enough.

[/QUOTE]

tell that to the gms who refused black players when it was customary to do so in each sport. the line has not been broken regardign out players.

to those who said he shouldnt have come out. 1 you really dont understand. 2. he was already out in colege. it was going to be public that he was in the closet (which you have no idea the impact of), or come out himself.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He's not that good   Marginal and he's too small for most team schemes. The mistake he made was having opra in tow.  Does she get a locker in Dallas?  

Theres no similarities with Jackie Robinson until he has 100 mph fastballs thrown at his head and spike marks up and down his legs imo

But, but I'm a good poster!

Remember Tyler Sash!  Rinngggg ringgggg

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10930324

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it's stupid to discriminate in general, but in particular with regards to business matters. 

That said, I read Sam does not practice all that well, so he won't push teammates as a PS player. And, without playing STs, he has little value as a reserve LB.

[/QUOTE]

I heard you say that about Richardson. How'd that work out?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Just stick to Football, stop obsessing about 1 Poster. Site will be better, even with opposing Fans. Every comment you say nothing but what Russ, says.