Go San Diego!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Go San Diego!

I said on another thread we will beat anyone anywhere.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Lets face it folks, if the Pats are going anywhere this year, it will have to happen on the road. Cant expect to get help from the likes of KC and SD. We will be lucky to keep out of the 4th seed.

I think they will too.

If the Pats cannot win on the road against the likes of Houston or Baltimore they don't deserve to make it to the SB and would get blown out there anyway by whoever comes out of the NFC. More concerned about Denver on the road than those two , especially since they will get a look at the Texans in a couple weeks.

Pats - Balt week three has no resemblance to PAts-Balt now for those who have not been paying attention.

This will sound very cocky, but I could care less where this team plays and against whom. Seriously.

The Pats are a great road team anyway and neither Houston or Baltimore intimidate me whatsoever.  Balt is old and injured with a deliberate offense.  Houston doesn't match up well against us at all.

All this seeding junk is irrelevant, but I would like to see them get the 2 seed so they can rest up.   Houston would really have to implode, but I think when NE beats them in a couple weeks, it could happen. We'll see.

I think it's somewhat funny how the Pats appear to be the most complete and healthiest team who hasn't peaked yet, and the media is still pumping Houston and Baltimore's tires. Let them. 

Bingo. Don't forget the Broncos and the media who are obsessed with Peyton Manning. I like the fact that the Patriots are SORT OF (not fully) "under the radar." this year. After the past few weeks, I believe this team is more complete than Baltimore (old and injured) and Houston. As for the Broncos, I still think we are better than them.

Our biggest tests are against Houston and San Francisco. We shall see what happens. 

I also agree with the 2 seed thing. It would be nice to have a week to rest up and home field in the 2nd round, but as long as this team is healthy, I think they can beat anyone anywhere.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I was assuming his comment was sarcasm.  SD's D great? Laughable.  Manning shredded em. NE's D is clearly better than SDs. I don't care where SD's is "ranked" on yards allowed. They don't make plays.

Yes it was sarcasm aimed at a few posters who love to throw blind stats at us. Two years ago, the Chargers were ranked #1 in both offense and defense and missed the playoffs. lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

Lets face it folks, if the Pats are going anywhere this year, it will have to happen on the road. Cant expect to get help from the likes of KC and SD. We will be lucky to keep out of the 4th seed.

I think they will too.

If the Pats cannot win on the road against the likes of Houston or Baltimore they don't deserve to make it to the SB and would get blown out there anyway by whoever comes out of the NFC. More concerned about Denver on the road than those two , especially since they will get a look at the Texans in a couple weeks.

Pats - Balt week three has no resemblance to PAts-Balt now for those who have not been paying attention.

This will sound very cocky, but I could care less where this team plays and against whom. Seriously.

The Pats are a great road team anyway and neither Houston or Baltimore intimidate me whatsoever.  Balt is old and injured with a deliberate offense.  Houston doesn't match up well against us at all.

All this seeding junk is irrelevant, but I would like to see them get the 2 seed so they can rest up.   Houston would really have to implode, but I think when NE beats them in a couple weeks, it could happen. We'll see.

I think it's somewhat funny how the Pats appear to be the most complete and healthiest team who hasn't peaked yet, and the media is still pumping Houston and Baltimore's tires. Let them. 

Bingo. Don't forget the Broncos and the media who are obsessed with Peyton Manning. I like the fact that the Patriots are SORT OF (not fully) "under the radar." this year. After the past few weeks, I believe this team is more complete than Baltimore (old and injured) and Houston. As for the Broncos, I still think we are better than them.

Our biggest tests are against Houston and San Francisco. We shall see what happens. 

I also agree with the 2 seed thing. It would be nice to have a week to rest up and home field in the 2nd round, but as long as this team is healthy, I think they can beat anyone anywhere.

Denver can't cover down the middle. They don't match up well with us either.  It's even funnier that as long as they keep winning and the media plops their collective self up against Gomer's testicles, it only helps us.

The one thing this team has not had or committed to in literally 5+ years is a run game and now they can't ignore it.   That means it's HUGE problems for whoever they face because it makes Brady better, hopefully better than he's been in postseasons without them even having considering it much.

There is no way on earth this team won't commit to a run game this postseason. Throw in the fact that the D is improved this year again, with more depth, more continuity, etc, and they're trending up at the right time.

Yep. I'm loving the Ridley/Vereen combo and I think it not only gives opposing defenses something else to watch out for, but it also takes pressure off Brady and allows better play action passes.

As for the defense, this team plays their best football in the 2nd half of the season. With the addition of Talib, I like where this defense is headed, especially once we get Chandler Jones back.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I think they will too.

we are all in synch on this.

Actually I love to see the Pats win away in the playoffs anyway more than I do when they are at home... Quieting the crowd, seeing the disapointment of the other teams fans, am I bad?

My favorites were the two times they went into Pittsburgh for the AFC championship, when the Steelers were like 1rst seed, 2001 and ? 2004?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I think they will too.

we are all in synch on this.

Actually I love to see the Pats win away in the playoffs anyway more than I do when they are at home... Quieting the crowd, seeing the disapointment of the other teams fans, am I bad?

My favorites were the two times they went into Pittsburgh for the AFC championship, when the Steelers were like 1rst seed, 2001 and ? 2004?

Lol nah you're not bad. IT does feel nice. As I mentioned in earlier, look up Baltimore's stats at home versus on the road (particularly the offense). Unlike us, they are screwed if they don't get the bye IMO. On the other hand, all that matters to me (and most pats fans) is that we are healthy come playoff time.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm with you patsbandwagon.  I'd love to win the AFC Championship game in Huston 45-17

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'm with you patsbandwagon.  I'd love to win the AFC Championship game in Huston 45-17

Personally I'd really like doing it in Baltimore or Denver , just don't have the same history yet with the Texans.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

How is Norv Turner still a coach?  I just don't get it. 

That's the million dollar question Russ! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

4th and 29....  pathetic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Are you really laughing at SD?

Here's a sobering Fact fpr you.

The Pats D has given up more passes +20 than the following TWO teams Combined.  (55)

Pits/SF=42

Pitts/Seattle=46

Pitts/ariz=52

SF/Seattle=48

Sf/Ariz=52

Pits/Den=48

SF/Chic=54

Sea/Den=54

More...... but you get the idea..

They have also given up 7 rushes over 20.

I know that everyone is estatic with the amount of TO's this team has, but the reality is; when you don't get them, this is what's left.  (along with a 45% 3rd down completion, 31st)

There is a reason this team is rated 29th in pass D, people and it's not garbage time against bad teams.  Good D's don't allow passes over 20 and 3rd down conversions in garbage time and certainly not to the tune of MORE than 2 teams combined.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

The Pats D has given up more passes +20 than the following TWO teams Combined.  (55)

Pits/SF=42

Pitts/Seattle=46

Pitts/ariz=52

SF/Seattle=48

Sf/Ariz=52

Pits/Den=48

SF/Chic=54

Sea/Den=54

I know that everyone is estatic with the amount of TO's this team has, but the reality is; when you don't get them, this is what's left.  (along with a 45% 3rd down completion, 31st)

There is a reason this team is rated 29th in pass D, people and it's not garbage time against bad teams.  Good D's don't allow passes over 20 and 3rd down conversions in garbage time and certainly not to the tune of MORE than 2 teams combined.

It's a bend don't break D for the most part.   No one cares about yards allowed. It's what they do in the red zone.   How many times do you need to be told this?

How many times do you have to be told what a dope you are?

Where is the bend but don't break?  Are the 43 and 47 yard TD passes a product of that?  Isn't the whole idea of the BBDB D to prevent the big plays???  Why are they LAST in plays + 20?

This is a bend and break D, being bailed out by the O and it's massive leads. 

No  huge lead, no win.

How many times do you have to be told this?

By Andrew Mooney, Boston.com Correspondent

The Patriots’ defense has extended the “bend-but-don’t-break” concept to its limit. Their mighty struggles to prevent opposing offenses from cruising up and down the field are well-documented, yet somehow they retain an average ranking (14th) in the one defensive category that truly counts: scoring defense. The bend-but-don’t-break defense is one that’s been ascribed to Bill Belichick at various times over the years, but it’s not clear that it’s a sustainable strategy; after all, how could a defense that’s bad on 80 percent of the field perform consistently better in the last one-fifth?

Over at Smart Football, analysis conducted by Chase Stuart may have uncovered the reasons for this discrepancy. Interestingly, the bend-but-don't-break defense might be best explained by another familiar cliché: "the best defense is a good offense."

Because of a great offense and a good punting unit, the Patriots defense is rarely placed in a bad situation. New England rarely turns the ball over (third fewest in the league) and gains so many yards (2nd most) that they’re not giving the opponent the ball in a position to score. In fact, New England’s opponents have the 2nd worst average starting drive position of any team in the league (#1 is San Francisco, a team that seems to have been teleported straight from the ’70s) — the 24-yard-line.

The offense’s influence on the D’s effectiveness is not limited to the ground they chew up, but also, just as valuable, the time. Opposing offenses don’t score as much as might be expected against the Pats in part because, with less clock with which to work, they simply get the ball fewer times.

Because New England goes on many long drives on offense and allows long drives on defense, New England’s defense has faced the 6th fewest drives against this year (and the 4th fewest drives on offense). The Patriots have allowed 38 yards per drive (most in the league by over two yards) and 1.91 points per drive, 23rd best. Points per drive allowed excludes non-offensive touchdowns, so a 23rd-place ranking in points per drive allowed is a better measures of New England’s defense than their 14th-place ranking in points allowed.

I covered recently that a defense’s ability to force turnovers is essentially random, but this also implies that we would expect more to occur as the number of plays increases (larger sample size). And as the Patriots’ defense has faced the fourth-most passing attempts this year — due largely to Tom Brady’s ability to turn games into shootouts, while limiting his interceptions — it’s no surprise the unit ranks 2nd in the league in interceptions forced.

New England’s often playing with a lead, which forces their opponents into riskier tactics, which explains why the Pats are [3rd] in the league in turnovers forced despite not having much individual talent on defense. And, of course, every turnover forced is a drive that does not require any more defense, and the Patriots are 3rd in turnovers forced per drive.

But what about the most important aspect of the bend-but-don’t-break defense: the “don’t break,” or red zone defense? Is the Patriots’ ability to stop teams before reaching the end zone a product of purposeful defensive scheming or the difficult starting positions in which they place opposing offenses?

As is usually the case, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The Patriots’ red zone efficiency on defense has remained remarkably consistent over the last five years; their percentage of touchdowns allowed per red zone trip has held relatively firm around 56 percent.
    benddont.png

The regularity of this number leads me to believe their red zone efficiency is indeed the result of a repeatable defensive strategy. Play your safeties deep, and you won’t get burned deep, but you’ll allow a ton of yards — until the red zone, that is, when those safeties get forced up by the goal line and involve themselves in the play.

The only problem is that the Pats’ red zone defense is not particularly good, consistently well below the league average. In reality, the Patriots are no better at “not breaking” than the majority of NFL teams. If the defense can’t take all the credit, then, it’s fair to acknowledge the Pats’ offense for helping to keep the opposition off the scoreboard. Bad field position, limited possessions, and a victory in the turnover battle can all make a defense appear much stiffer than it really is.

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

This is not the same Pats team we saw against the Cardinals or Seattle.  Today, the Pats would have kept the hammer down for 60 minutes. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Pits/SF=42

Pitts/Seattle=46

Pitts/ariz=52

SF/Seattle=48

Sf/Ariz=52

Pits/Den=48

SF/Chic=54

Sea/Den=54

It's a bend don't break D for the most part.   No one cares about yards allowed. It's what they do in the red zone.   How many times do you need to be told this?

How many times do you have to be told what a dope you are?

Where is the bend but don't break?  Are the 43 and 47 yard TD passes a product of that?  Isn't the whole idea of the BBDB D to prevent the big plays???  Why are they LAST in plays + 20?

This is a bend and break D, being bailed out by the O and it's massive leads. 

No  huge lead, no win.

How many times do you have to be told this?

By Andrew Mooney, Boston.com Correspondent

The Patriots’ defense has extended the â€ÂÂœbend-but-don’t-break” concept to its limit. Their mighty struggles to prevent opposing offenses from cruising up and down the field are well-documented, yet somehow they retain an average ranking (14th) in the one defensive category that truly counts: scoring defense. The bend-but-don’t-break defense is one that’s been ascribed to Bill Belichick at various times over the years, but it’s not clear that it’s a sustainable strategy; after all, how could a defense that’s bad on 80 percent of the field perform consistently better in the last one-fifth?

Over at Smart Football, analysis conducted by Chase Stuart may have uncovered the reasons for this discrepancy. Interestingly, the bend-but-don't-break defense might be best explained by another familiar cliché: "the best defense is a good offense."

Because of a great offense and a good punting unit, the Patriots defense is rarely placed in a bad situation. New England rarely turns the ball over (third fewest in the league) and gains so many yards (2nd most) that they’re not giving the opponent the ball in a position to score. In fact, New England’s opponents have the 2nd worst average starting drive position of any team in the league (#1 is San Francisco, a team that seems to have been teleported straight from the ’70s) — the 24-yard-line.

The offense’s influence on the D’s effectiveness is not limited to the ground they chew up, but also, just as valuable, the time. Opposing offenses don’t score as much as might be expected against the Pats in part because, with less clock with which to work, they simply get the ball fewer times.

Because New England goes on many long drives on offense and allows long drives on defense, New England’s defense has faced the 6th fewest drives against this year (and the 4th fewest drives on offense). The Patriots have allowed 38 yards per drive (most in the league by over two yards) and 1.91 points per drive, 23rd best. Points per drive allowed excludes non-offensive touchdowns, so a 23rd-place ranking in points per drive allowed is a better measures of New England’s defense than their 14th-place ranking in points allowed.

I covered recently that a defense’s ability to force turnovers is essentially random, but this also implies that we would expect more to occur as the number of plays increases (larger sample size). And as the Patriots’ defense has faced the fourth-most passing attempts this year — due largely to Tom Brady’s ability to turn games into shootouts, while limiting his interceptions — it’s no surprise the unit ranks 2nd in the league in interceptions forced.

New England’s often playing with a lead, which forces their opponents into riskier tactics, which explains why the Pats are [3rd] in the league in turnovers forced despite not having much individual talent on defense. And, of course, every turnover forced is a drive that does not require any more defense, and the Patriots are 3rd in turnovers forced per drive.

But what about the most important aspect of the bend-but-don’t-break defense: the â€ÂÂœdon’t break,” or red zone defense? Is the Patriots’ ability to stop teams before reaching the end zone a product of purposeful defensive scheming or the difficult starting positions in which they place opposing offenses?

As is usually the case, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The Patriots’ red zone efficiency on defense has remained remarkably consistent over the last five years; their percentage of touchdowns allowed per red zone trip has held relatively firm around 56 percent.
    benddont.png

The regularity of this number leads me to believe their red zone efficiency is indeed the result of a repeatable defensive strategy. Play your safeties deep, and you won’t get burned deep, but you’ll allow a ton of yards — until the red zone, that is, when those safeties get forced up by the goal line and involve themselves in the play.

The only problem is that the Pats’ red zone defense is not particularly good, consistently well below the league average. In reality, the Patriots are no better at â€ÂÂœnot breaking” than the majority of NFL teams. If the defense can’t take all the credit, then, it’s fair to acknowledge the Pats’ offense for helping to keep the opposition off the scoreboard. Bad field position, limited possessions, and a victory in the turnover battle can all make a defense appear much stiffer than it really is.

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.

No one is going to read what you just posted. I certainly didn't.  Most of the investment on this team is for your virtual boyfriend, Brady, and the offense in an offensive era.

This is not debatable. This is factually correct and reality.

So, if the D is giving up chunks of yards in the air, like all Ds do in this league, some more than others, but BB's style of D works in the end game where it's mostly FGs allowed or minimial points over 4 qtrs, that's all that matters.

Garbage time points or yards are also very clearly irrelevant, which makes your argument even weaker.  We have no idea what the D would be doing if BB kept them aggressive in scheme and stopped going vanilla/bend/don't break.

What you don't get is that the differential between being ranked, say "18th" and "27th" is a very small number.  It's based on YARDS.  An average of 15-20 yards separating 5-10 teams' rankings is the most irrelevant aspect of an argument, it's embarrassing to pretend it has a lot of credence.

Throw in the fact, points are more important as is red zone D and the fact NE is amazing at creating turnovers for the 3rd year in a row, and your argument is weaker.

Lastly, I care about where the team is trending at the end of the year, hopefully, when fully healty where all the parts can be seen working as one. I don't care about stats that come from Sept and October.

Good day.

Keep thinking what you want crusto, but this is reality and has been for 5 years.

They are not that good of a red zone D.

They live off of turnovers but we all know what happens when they don't get them.  (SB 42 & 46. )

This team would be last in EVERY catagory if not for the O.  Bet the farm on that!

This team will not win, playing a more complete team that is effecient on both O & D.

(SB 42 & 46)  Reason being, it is hard for even a prolific O to win against a more complete team.  If they are playing a good D than they need their own D to step up and that rarely happens. 

All teams have garbage time and play a prevent D.  Not just the Pats.  That does not even begin to excuse the last place ratings in 3rd downs and  20+ completions and yes, yards.

They have given up 1300 more yards than Pits.  Take into account the time involved in giving up those 1300  (120 more a game) yards and you have an offense that is not on the field for that very same amount of time.    If not for that you'd probably have a 36/24 TOP favoring the O, but this is not the case and it is the Biggest reason they lose games. YARDS TAKE TIME FROM THE O and in a close game, that spells disaster for an O.

But, you will never get this......... Too bad!

Oh, and please stop with all the money is spent on O.  This is true for most teams.  Take away the QB  (the highest paid player on most teams) and it is even.

Most of the high draft picks in the past 5 are on D, not O.

Are you saying BB doesn't know how to distribute the wealth on his team?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Ya, too bad the game is 60 minutes and not 57.  We would have surely won despite the 38/22 TOP.

If you don't understand that yards take time away from the O, (particually in a close game) then there is no hope for you.

If you don't understand that they are last in the league in 3rd down % and plays over 20 then there is no hope for you.

Do you really expect 6 TO games every week?  I don't.  Or scoring 3 td's in 57 seconds?  Oh yeah, that happens once every 60 years.  LOL.

An acceptable amount of points would be less than your O scores.  Nothing else!  That is a good D, not the ones that give up 29 when the O scores 50+.

Considering it's the D's job to prevent points AND prevent 1st downs And get the ball back to the O, i'd call it a failure.  35 first downs to BUFFALO is not acceptable.  Neither is 26 to Eli in an 8 possession game.  Get it???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Let me redirect this thread back to where it started.  Balt sure got lucky to get out of this one, and so did Houston.  Both have had numerous scrapes where the other team sort of handed them the game.  That is both a sign they fight to the end and a sign they are damaged to begin with.  Jax leading Houston right to the end then losing in OT?  WOW.  I respect both teams as dangerous opponents in the playoffs, but honestly, more worried about Denver at this point.  We will get the true measure of the Texans soon enough.  

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts