GODell wants to eliminate kickoffs completely

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

GODell wants to eliminate kickoffs completely

In an article that's hitting newshelves everywhere this week (and is available online if you have a subscription), NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told TIME that he'd consider eliminating kickoffs in professional football.

Goodell has, per the article via Chris Burke ofSports Illustrated, considered the idea of changing the way the NFL handles kickoffs by replacing them with an offensive opportunity.

The idea is to give the team that scored the ball on their own 30-yard line. That team would have one shot to pick up 15 yards and keep the ball, or they could simply punt from the 30-yard line.

This whacky kickoff replacement is even crazier than you might think, because of its origination: it was proposed by Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano. You know, the same guy who likes to try to spoil the victory formation at the end of games.

But Goodell maintains the possibility of radically redesigning the kickoff procedure isn't some PR stunt; he'd only consider it because it's "the right thing to do."

"I don't do things for public relations," Goodell said. "I do things because they're the right thing to do, because I love the game."

Kickoffs are impossibly dangerous because of the high-speed nature of the collisions involved between players. But changing them from a special-teams play to an offensive-option play would be something incredibly drastic.

Would it change the way rosters are constructed? Would it inflate the value of punters while deflating the value of kickers? How would players react? And would the public approve?

Those are all questions that the NFL and Goodell need to consider before moving forward with this possible rule change, which could be exactly why the possibility just made its way into a national magazine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Re: GODell wants to eliminate kickoffs completely

This guy isn't going to be happy until the NFL is playing flag football.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

This whacky kickoff replacement is even crazier than you might think, because of its origination: it was proposed by Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano. You know, the same guy who likes to try to spoil the victory formation at the end of games.

Please READ the entire article clearly...it IS NOT Goodell who proposed this...it was Greg Schiano

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

That would ruin the game completely and then someone would start a real football league and the NFL would fold. Of course we all know that none of this will happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Cheap shot are by far the leading cause of concussions.  How about suspensions for the Ed Reed types out there.  1 game for the first personal foul. 2 for the 2nd.  3 for the 3rd ect.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Stupid idea. The world is eaten up with PC and ambulance chasing lawyers. Makes me sick. Get a life Goodell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

But everyone still gets a trophy and orange slices!   Yay!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know what, the league is getting sued over head injures, the league is trying to take measures to prevent it, and the players and PA are putting their foot out everyway. If the league is concerned about being sued they are going to do what they must to protect themselves. If the players can't get their act together and stop intentionally flunking concussion tests so they can play, stop with the cheap shots, and stop fighting fines and suspensions for said cheap shots then this is the direction the league has to turn to protect itself. This one I put on the players for not being able to police themselves

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If the League and Goodell are going to advocate player safety, seems like a good idea To eliminate. Seems most kickoffs are touchbacks anyways, simply start after a TD on the 20 yard line. Doesn't seem so cynical to me. I f serious on safety, this is the next logical step. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The kick-off is a great play, which I'd hate to see go, but the concussion issue is a serious one (in all contact sports, not just football) and regardless of whether you think that the employees have a duty to "police themselves," an employer who continues to put employees in dangerous situations where they suffer debilitating injuries is going to have some major liabilities under our legal system.  

My solution has always been to replace the place kick with a punt on kick-offs, exactly as is done on safety kicks (though on the kick-off, the restraining line would have to be moved up so the ball is more likely to land near the goal line). This preserves the idea of a kick off and therefore the integrity of the game; it's a play already used on safety kicks so it's not some strange innovation, and it is still a potentially exciting play with the possibility of returns for TDs. On the positive side for concussions, it's a shorter play that won't have quite the same speed and collision force. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Soon the defensive players will have to wait for the receivers to catch the ball, run 2-3 yards and then tag him same goes for the running backs..I've seen more players being taken out by these vicious hits more than what I've seen from kickoffs...Why don't they play flag football?....I understand that they want to prevent all these concussions and player's safety is the top priority here ( is what they want us to believe ) but instead of starting from the field of play why don't they just eliminate Thursday Night Football? That'll give a better indication that they're very serious about players safety. There are lots of ways in this violent game for players to have serious injuries, you can't take the violence out of because it'll ruin the game...Players know the risks involve and they still sign up for it they should also be held accountable, don't blame the league only. Instead, figure out a way to protect the players with better protective helmets, mouthguards, etc...

And if they want to eliminate kickoffs just start the ball on the 20 yard line problem solved and the game is a bit less entertaining.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Cheap shot are by far the leading cause of concussions.  How about suspensions for the Ed Reed types out there.  1 game for the first personal foul. 2 for the 2nd.  3 for the 3rd ect.....

I think the better approach is that if you cheap shot someone, or commit a flagrant penalty that results in an injury to an opposing player, you are suspended for the same amount of time that player is out with the injury.  Including if you cause a career-ending injury, you've ended your own career.

And consider, possibly, that under those conditions, your team does not get to replace you on the roster.  Team's a man short.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

Soon the defensive players will have to wait for the receivers to catch the ball, run 2-3 yards and then tag him same goes for the running backs..I've seen more players being taken out by these vicious hits more than what I've seen from kickoffs...Why don't they play flag football?....I understand that they want to prevent all these concussions and player's safety is the top priority here ( is what they want us to believe ) but instead of starting from the field of play why don't they just eliminate Thursday Night Football? That'll give a better indication that they're very serious about players safety. There are lots of ways in this violent game for players to have serious injuries, you can't take the violence out of because it'll ruin the game...Players know the risks involve and they still sign up for it they should also be held accountable, don't blame the league only. Instead, figure out a way to protect the players with better protective helmets, mouthguards, etc...

And if they want to eliminate kickoffs just start the ball on the 20 yard line problem solved and the game is a bit less entertaining.

The NFL is serious about making money . . . and keeping it.  Thursday Night Football is about making money.  Avoiding lawsuits that come from player injuries is about keeping it. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

The NFL is serious about making money . . . and keeping it.  Thursday Night Football is about making money.  Avoiding lawsuits that come from player injuries is about keeping it. 

They're a bunch of hypocrites..They're dilusional in thinking that us fans don't know their true intent, but they also know that even if it comes to the NFL becoming the New Flag League people are still going to be into it.....Players just need to man up and stop suing looking for more money than what they already have..There're lots of people in more dire situations than them, and I don't see them suing the government for putting their life on the line every day...It's very sad!!

Players man up, or go behind a desk and tweet all day long.....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

In an article that's hitting newshelves everywhere this week (and is available online if you have a subscription), NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told TIME that he'd consider eliminating kickoffs in professional football.

Goodell has, per the article via Chris Burke ofSports Illustrated, considered the idea of changing the way the NFL handles kickoffs by replacing them with an offensive opportunity.

The idea is to give the team that scored the ball on their own 30-yard line. That team would have one shot to pick up 15 yards and keep the ball, or they could simply punt from the 30-yard line.

But Goodell maintains the possibility of radically redesigning the kickoff procedure isn't some PR stunt; he'd only consider it because it's "the right thing to do."

"I don't do things for public relations," Goodell said. "I do things because they're the right thing to do, because I love the game."

Kickoffs are impossibly dangerous because of the high-speed nature of the collisions involved between players. But changing them from a special-teams play to an offensive-option play would be something incredibly drastic.

Would it change the way rosters are constructed? Would it inflate the value of punters while deflating the value of kickers? How would players react? And would the public approve?

Those are all questions that the NFL and Goodell need to consider before moving forward with this possible rule change, which could be exactly why the possibility just made its way into a national magazine.

Yea but its ok to have your D line attack a QB on end of the game kneel downs!??!  What a Richard!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

A team could conceivably control the ball all game.  Not likely but possible........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

^^^^

could you imagine a high powered offense keeping the ball for 30 possessions scoring 70+ points!!!

oh the outrage from the weaker teams and their fans

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

It's really all about finding a way to get an 18 game reg season. The game as is played would likely have no healthy teams left for the playoffs after a grueling 18 game season. As it is, most teams limp into the playoffs with many key players out or playing way below their norm (Gronk/SB). This allows you to not so much prevent injuries, which it "will" prevent some, but allows them to free up space on the roster by not requiring special team aces etc. 

This will make for teams with more depth that can sustain good play with key guys out although I don't see that there is enough talent to fill all the roster spots that would open up as a result league wide

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

They have already eliminated the kickoff, well, the return part of it anyway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Lets just get rid of all this nonsense and go back to leather helmets.  This would solve the concussion problem.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Lets just get rid of all this nonsense and go back to leather helmets.  This would solve the concussion problem.

Bingo!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

As a fan of the NFL I would like Goodell to leave.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts