Gonna be a long year.....OUR D STINKS!!!!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

Re: Gonna be a long year.....OUR D STINKS!!!!!

Couldn't have said it better! They have to wake up - why squander a great offense.  All they had to do was make ONE play and they would have beat the Giants for the SB.  Let's face it - the secondary and DB's have been an ongoing issue that the team has not addressed as fully as they should have.  They may not have another chance to play for a super bowl until 2013 - just think of that! 

In Response to Re: Gonna be a long year.....OUR D STINKS!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, it's just the preseason . . . too bad it looks so much like last postseason
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

When is Bill going to get a PASS RUSH.  Until we can even a little pressure the other teams QB, we will have to score 50 per game just to win.  It is pretty pathetic.  Although it's preseason, our last game last year wasn't.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, it's just the preseason . . . too bad it looks so much like last postseason
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better.  The DB's and secondary needs have not been fully addressed by the management and personell of this team.  They will squander a very good offense this year.  The Pats were ONE play away from beating the Giants in the SB in 2007.  Let's face it - their defense has been an issue for a few years.  If what we see from the last two games is any indication of what we will see in the regular season - we are going nowhere.  We may not get to play for another SB until 2013 - just think about that for a bit?!  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]The D can't  play zone. That we know, for know.  Also, Spikes can't cover on 3rd down.  Pretty simple adjustments.  The CBs look good in man coverage, though. McCourty made some very nice plays.  The run D was poor on the first drive.  After the Giants poor showing last week against Balt, they clearly wanted to come out and dictate, and they did. Not much else to report other than Hoyer looks quite good.   Very decisive, made some nice throws. Burgess may get cut.  Murrell and Ninkovich bring moree energy and consistency. Murrell trying to cover Cruz was pretty funny. Goes to show you there are absolutely no schemes or match ups that BB is focusing on here, I guess. Finally, anyone notice the stacked corners?  They had I think a LB as a CB, and then another CB straight behind the LB on the outside.
    Posted by ClarkGriswold[/QUOTE]
    stop with the scheme nonsense. whether the defense game planned for the game (they did not) or came out and played base vanilla defense, bottom line, the first team d-line was getting moved off of the ball in one on one matchups, the lb's were a step slow creating the edge, and there was confusion with the d-back's with regards to who was supposed to where.
    The back uo o-line was putrid. an injury to a starting o-lineman will derail this offense as Brady will get killed, much like Hoyer did last night

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

One day this herd asks the question 'will they start 4-0' the next day the herd says the D stinks...

What has changed from last year:
    - looks like both Spikes and McCourty will be good to very good. BUT THEY ARE ROOKIES. And that fact will be painful when it takes the form of making mistakes on big pass plays. Nonetheless they both appear to be good moves.
    - Bodden was signed and now is hurt. Is this herd going to argue that it is not a passing league? No? Good. Bodden is the best corner on this team. Any arguements? No? Good. It is a big drop off to go from a very good corner to most any rookie. AND WITH THIS TEAMS PASSRUSH CORNER IS C-R-I-T-I-C-A-L. This is a real loss.... AND, you really need 4 corners in this league. It is common to have 3 on the field but it is not unheard of to have 4 AND there will generally be someone either playing hurt or out at any point after the first several games.. You really need 4.
    - There are no expetations at this time for THIS YEAR for either Brace or Cunningham to make a meaningful, positive, impact. Possible yes. Likely no.
    - Losing Ty Warren is a big deal. Best DE on the team. D starts from the line. Both agasint run and pass. Their play dramatically affects LBs and DBs. Dramatically.
    - No improvement in passrush. OUCH....

They have some good rookies on D. They have some other good young players on D. BUt hey ARE rebuilding the D and it is far from done. They need:
    2 OLB
    2 DE
    1-2 CB (Having Bodden in the future and assuming Butler and McCourty are at least decent)
    PASSRUSH. PASSRUSH. PASSRUSH.

With all this they will play well for the level of talent able to suit up for the games. And significantly, if their O can turn most games into a sprint for points it will allow the D to scheme for pressure and force opponents to play mistake free. It will level off the negative effects of some of their weakness. Also key here is that in having a resurgence in the running game will make them better in sustaining drives, running the clock when the times comes to do that and in red zone scoring. Critical to this resurgence is an amazing trio of TEs along with a nice step up at RT.

Special teams can also make a big difference. The Patriots will likely have one of the very best special teams units in the league. Not only having a good kicker. Tate looks exceptional. They also have a few excellent punt returners. One of the most immproved parts of the team is the wedge on kick off returns. They may have the best trio lining up in front of returners that their is in the league. I also expect coverage to be generally very strong.

SO - the D is in the process of being rebuilt. Some very very good young talent. Critical pieces still missing. Can what they have on D plus an explosive O plus exceptional special teams cover up and make up for D shortcomings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]Couldn't have said it better! They have to wake up - why squander a great offense.  All they had to do was make ONE play and they would have beat the Giants for the SB.  Let's face it - the secondary and DB's have been an ongoing issue that the team has not addressed as fully as they should have.  They may not have another chance to play for a super bowl until 2013 - just think of that!  In Response to Re: Gonna be a long year.....OUR D STINKS!!!!! :
    Posted by canpatfan[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I simply can't pass this one by.  And who was it who didn't make that play in the S/B?  Who was it who let a makeable pick slide right through his hands?  Why it was the walk-on-water, can't do anything wrong, God's gift to the secondary - Asante Samuel!!  That is the Asante who want 385 kajillion dollars for being nothing more than a good cover corner and who hasn't exactly set the world on fire in Philly.  So just to be clear, what's the right answer here?  Spend, spend, spend or manage? 

Back to the orginal post:  Yes, you are absolutely correct: it is in the end of Western Civilization because a young defense looked shakey in the pre-season.  Let's see where the Pats are after getting a few real games under their belts before we contemplate declaring that the sky is indeed falling.

My 2 cents.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

How can the very end of the preseason be too early to make a prediction?  If we wait any longer, then it won't be a prediction any more!
    Hey, I'm hopeful.  Right now I am interested to see how things shake out with rosters being cut and players signing with new teams.  Honestly, I think the team is doing a great job re-tooling, and if it takes into next season to be back on top, then I'll be quite impressed.
    ps, the jets suk!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]At least the roller coaster of opinions will (mercifully) be 16 games, unlike the Sox board where the pinkies proclaim the Sox world series champs on Tuesday when they beat the Yanks and call for Theo's resignation on Wedneday when they lose to the Orioles. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

That forum is literally hazardous to your health.

I do not recommend spending time anywhere near it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

[QUOTE]Say what you must but I consider myself a knowledgable and diehard fan whom is realistic.
    Posted by JMichalski12[/QUOTE]

LOL!  anyone who judges how a team is going to be based on the vanilla plays and back ups playing in the preseason is not very smart.

Please try again....when you get an ounce of knowledge.

I am surprised that you didn't say that our O-stinks....same difference.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kildog. Show kildog's posts

Open 1 and 3.  If D doesn't improve it will be a vvveeeerrrrrryyyyy long year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

[QUOTE]Dude, relax! The colts lost all of their preseason games, and people are still picking them to at least make it to the SB. The Pats were 2-2 in the preseason back in 07 (We all know what happened). Am I concerned about the defense? You bet!!! But name me a team that doesn't have a weakness somewhere? I just hope Cunningham doesn't land in IR. He has missed a lot of practice and didn't suite up at all for the preseason games. I still think it's too early to make predictions. It's not like we're the lions or the rams.
    Posted by pats1977[/QUOTE]

If this defense is not playing well and not starting to gel by November 1st and if the offense is continuing to bail them out then you know the Pats have real issues. It is a younger athletic defense so dont expect alot early..a questionable defensive front some really nice linebacker and a really young secondary..we will see..the first game will tell alot.. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

[QUOTE]Open 1 and 3.  If D doesn't improve it will be a vvveeeerrrrrryyyyy long year.
    Posted by kildog[/QUOTE]

LOL!  I will take that bet.....they will go 3-1....at worst.

Nothing wrong with the D.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

Good GOD ALMIGHTY, I wish you people would atleast let the reg. season start before you jump ship!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

If we were to totally rely on the pre-season.. looks like the Colts stink, the Saints are in trouble, the Rams are trouble and the Buffalo Bills are awesome!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

[QUOTE]Open 1 and 3.  If D doesn't improve it will be a vvveeeerrrrrryyyyy long year.
    Posted by kildog[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[QUOTE]gonna be a long year with these fairweather fans
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Great one Kansas. I think everyone hear would love to see the Pats in the Super Bowl. IMO this year is going to look a lot like last year. They'll make it back people just need to learn something that's called PATIENCE. Even though it's not taught in today's instant gratification society. Maybe the bandwagon will lighten up at the end of the season so real Pats fans can have discussions on this forum.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE] This Pats team will have some struggles on D. The influx of young guys and the loss of a few key vets virtually guarantees that the Pats will struggle some weeks defensively.  Butler, McCourty, Brace, Spikes and others may look overmatched and lost from time to time.  It's gonna happen.  It's part of the game -- young guys struggle at times.      See it for what it is.    
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

Actually, you just repeated what the original poster said.  The defense is not good and it will be a long year on that side of the ball.

Strange that while you are 100% in agreement with the original post you felt it necessary to offer a long-winded lecture while agreeing with him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsareNumberone. Show PatsareNumberone's posts

So what's new..The defense stinks just like it has. Did you forget last year or the superbowl they blew against the giants?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]If we were to totally rely on the pre-season.. looks like the Colts stink, the Saints are in trouble, the Rams are trouble and the Buffalo Bills are awesome!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

It might be better to simply rely on talent comparisons.

Do you think the Colts or the Patriots have more talent on Defense?

Strange - the people who recognize that the defense is going to be sub-par are getting riped in this thread. 

Yet, the people who think that Bill Bellicheck will create magic "schemes" to overcome poor talent are somehow congratulating themselves as "true fans"

On one hand we have people who evaluate the actual TALENT on the team and say - "eez, it's gonna be a long year with this defense"  - these people are attacked.

On the other hand we have people who ignore talent and say goofy things like "In Bill we trust" and "we will have magic schemes"  are somehow true fans?

Nope.  If you ignore talent and evidence and rely on magic sayings and incantations - YOU are the pink hat.

In this case all the chest beating I-am-a-true-fan-because-I-believe-in-magic-schemes fans are the pink hats. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonna be a long year.....OUR D STINKS!!!!! : Actually, you just repeated what the original poster said.  The defense is not good and it will be a long year on that side of the ball. Strange that while you are 100% in agreement with the original post you felt it necessary to offer a long-winded lecture while agreeing with him.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Unlike the doom and gloomers, I see the D as young, and young doesn't = stinks.  I am not in 100% agreement with the original poster, I expect progression as the year goes on.  To say a young D stinks is to presume they are all untalented.  What I did say, however, is that young guys make mistakes, which could hurt them.  Nowhere did I say they stink.  So you're actually interpreting my comments to make your argument, which is fine.  But if you don't like reading my long winded posts or don't agree with my opinions, feel free to put me on ignore. 

If you are saying the D stinks after 4 preseason games, you are a whingy pinkhat.  And no I don't think BB has all the answers. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonna be a long year.....OUR D STINKS!!!!! : It might be better to simply rely on talent comparisons. Do you think the Colts or the Patriots have more talent on Defense? Strange - the people who recognize that the defense is going to be sub-par are getting riped in this thread.  Yet, the people who think that Bill Bellicheck will create magic "schemes" to overcome poor talent are somehow congratulating themselves as "true fans" On one hand we have people who evaluate the actual TALENT on the team and say - "eez, it's gonna be a long year with this defense"  - these people are attacked. On the other hand we have people who ignore talent and say goofy things like "In Bill we trust" and "we will have magic schemes"  are somehow true fans? Nope.  If you ignore talent and evidence and rely on magic sayings and incantations - YOU are the pink hat. In this case all the chest beating I-am-a-true-fan-because-I-believe-in-magic-schemes fans are the pink hats. 
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

The people who THINK* that they know football tallent based on what they see in preseason games are idiots.....

Sections
Shortcuts