Good article about Brady from SI.com

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Good article about Brady from SI.com

Pretty good Peter King interview with Brady from SI.com.Here's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/09/mmqb.tom.brady/index.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Good article about Brady from SI.com

Watch how many fans are going to be outraged that he's...wait for it....raising his kids and trying to be a good father and husband instead of coming to every team-related event. I personally found his quote on attending camp and building chemistry interesting. He said he wouldn't be able to build that same level of chemistry as in years past. It's good that he's learning to balance things out but I couldn't believe he said that in an actual interview with fans already questioning his commitment to football post-2007. Interesting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotsftball. Show Patriotsftball's posts

I think you better take note of how Brady (THE TEAM LEADER) admits players didn't buy into Belichick and his plan!!! Like I said before - If your players don't believe in you it will cost you!! And that will spread through the NFL like wild fire!!! Free agents don't want to come to New England anymore. There was a time when they would take a pay cut to play for BB... Not anymore...

Now we are building with young talent which is great. BUT - BB better get back to an aggressive style of defense so these young players buy into the program. The sit back don't attack defense doesn't work in the NFL. BB needs to go back and watch film of his time with the Giants defense and some of the old Patriots he had...

I will continue to be a BB/Patriots fan but I will also admit it has been getting harder each game to be a BB fan...I will always be a Patriots fan...

GO PATS!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

In Response to Re: Good article about Brady from SI.com:
    I think you better take note of how Brady (THE TEAM LEADER) admits players didn't buy into Belichick and his plan!!! Like I said before - If your players don't believe in you it will cost you!! And that will spread through the NFL like wild fire!!! Free agents don't want to come to New England anymore. There was a time when they would take a pay cut to play for BB... Not anymore... Now we are building with young talent which is great. BUT - BB better get back to an aggressive style of defense so these young players buy into the program. The sit back don't attack defense doesn't work in the NFL. BB needs to go back and watch film of his time with the Giants defense and some of the old Patriots he had... I will continue to be a BB/Patriots fan but I will also admit it has been getting harder each game to be a BB fan...I will always be a Patriots fan...    GO PATS!!!!!
    Posted by Patriotsftball

Wow, what nonsense

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotsftball. Show Patriotsftball's posts

Lets see - You have the best player in the NFL telling you players did not buy into BB. And if you listen close to his interview you will also see he drifted a little as well. He admits to that in so many words. BB has lost a little bit of his edge. Now maybe the cheating thing was for real??? Maybe that was his edge and now it is gone??? I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT!!! But I do think he needs to get back to his old style of defense!!! Just my opinion.

I am just saying I can see where things are drifting away a little. Because I being a former player of many sports including football and now coaching football for almost 20 years can see players not believing in BB. BB will be fine - But you need your players and staff to believe in what they are being told. BB has made some pretty questionable calls in many areas for the Patriots organization on and off the field? Now many may have come from the front office? But I think BB has a lot of control. Maybe BB has too big a work load? Maybe he should focus more on X's and O's?

All I know is he better real his players back in. And when you have your main leader saying it's getting away you have problems!!

Maybe that's why he keeps these questionable coaches around? They kiss his butt and get paid. What happens when he gets a coach in with half a brain? They leave the next year.

This is just my opinion... GO PATS!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Pfootball - you may be right.  Maybe the cheating really was an edge.  I do also think that the players bought in.  But maybe some of that buy in was because they thought Belichick was clairvoyant when in fact he wasn't. 

Whatever the case, I do think Belichick is a great coach, and while I have often compared his successes and failures to Bob Knight, I would think most pats fans would hope that he would not end up actually being like Knight.  Knight's biggest professional issue late in his career (which was also one of his greatest strengths early on) was his unwillingness to adapt.  If Belichick is the same and the players don't buy in, his team will never reach the top again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

That is if Bill was a egotiscal SOB like Knight is. If you had ever read anything about the man you would know that nothing could be further from the truth. Parcells on the other hand I am not so sure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

That is if Bill was a egotiscal SOB like Knight is. If you had ever read anything about the man you would know that nothing could be further from the truth. Parcells on the other hand I am not so sure.
    Posted by fourjays30

Not egotistical.  hmmm.  Now that is a take I've not heard.  I'll be the first to admit that I am no historian where Belichick is concerned, but I am not so sure I am willing to accept that he is not egotistical. 

I am sure that if I read the same pro-belichick books that you read, then I would agree that what you are saying is correct as far as the writer wrote it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Lets see - You have the best player in the NFL telling you players did not buy into BB. And if you listen close to his interview you will also see he drifted a little as well. He admits to that in so many words. BB has lost a little bit of his edge. Now maybe the cheating thing was for real??? Maybe that was his edge and now it is gone??? I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT!!! But I do think he needs to get back to his old style of defense!!! Just my opinion. I am just saying I can see where things are drifting away a little. Because I being a former player of many sports including football and now coaching football for almost 20 years can see players not believing in BB. BB will be fine - But you need your players and staff to believe in what they are being told. BB has made some pretty questionable calls in many areas for the Patriots organization on and off the field? Now many may have come from the front office? But I think BB has a lot of control. Maybe BB has too big a work load? Maybe he should focus more on X's and O's? All I know is he better real his players back in. And when you have your main leader saying it's getting away you have problems!! Maybe that's why he keeps these questionable coaches around? They kiss his butt and get paid. What happens when he gets a coach in with half a brain? They leave the next year. This is just my opinion... GO PATS!!!
    Posted by Patriotsftball

Nice Job twisting the words into something completely different. I read your post before I read the article and then I had to read the article twice because I thought I missed something.

Go Pats!!!  Yeah Right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

No great athlete or coach in professional sports did it without being egotistical to some degree; look at the humble guys in this business and they're somewhere in the middle of the pack.

I've read several books on Belichick and they're not really opinion-based but more so story-telling; the main point I got out of it was the Belichick the haters and detractors see is just a small part of the guy he is. If you read any of those books and gain insight into how he is with his players and behind closed doors, you'd have a different perception of him. Frankly, I don't think fans of other teams WANT to see the other side of him because he's so easy to hate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I would also rather have an egotistical, hoody-wearing Belichick over a preacher of a coach who is mediocre at best that led the Atlanta Braves of football.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Well since you call the books written about BB as being pro than show me any book written about him that describes him as being egotistical. Untill you do I will take the word of those that actually have written about him and actually know him.

The Education of A Coach
    by David Halberstam

From the book flap: Bill Belichick is one of the most intriguing yet enigmatic figures in contemporary American sports. He is the best professional football coach of our era, and his New England Patriot teams are the winners of three of the last four Super Bowls – including one of the most stunning upsets in that championship series. Yet until now, Belichick has deliberately stayed as far from the spotlight as possible, proving himself as elusive as he is talented.
              In The Education of a Coach, the distinguished writer-historian David Halberstam paints a dazzling portrait of a man and his profession, revealing both the intimate world of Bill Belichick and the unique abilities that make him so successful: his exceptional intelligence, his ability to break down and exploit game film, his singular discipline, and his almost unmatched work ethic. Working with an unusual degree of cooperation from Belichick, Halberstam shows us a man acutely aware of all the forces in contemporary sports that work against the old-fashioned concept of team, who has somehow managed to change his players' view of how the game should be played. The result is a book not just about Bill Belichick, but about what it means to be a leader.
              Halberstam begins with the story of Bill Belichick's childhood and the enormous and lasting influence of his father, Navy coach Steve Belichick. Considered the best scout of his era, Steve taught his son to break down film at the age of nine. What we come to witness are dual journeys, the first of the immigrant Belichick family moving from the harsh, unsparing world of the steel mills of Ohio into the mainstream of American life, and the second of Bill Belichick's systematic climb to the top of his profession, in no small part because of a family work ethic forged in those same steel mills.
              Using his trademark powers of reporting and storytelling, Halberstam, in his first ever book on football, takes us deep into the mind of a great coach. By exploring how Belichick arrived where he is, Halberstam reveals to readers the strategies and deep-seated ideals that have helped Belichick create his winning legacy and set a new standard for what a coach should be.

Book Description:

When Bill Belichick arrived in New England, the Patriots were a laughingstock, an organization with a losing record, spiraling morale, salary cap problems, and a bloated payroll filled with a who's who of underperforming players. Belichick was supposed to change all that. But there were many questions: Could he turn it around? Could he win without Bill Parcells? He is smart, certainly, some would say a genius, but could he inspire and motivate a team to win it all? After his mediocre run as head coach of the Cleveland Browns, and the strange end to his relationship with Parcells and the New York Jets, what kind of head coach could he be?

Four years later, he has two Lombardi trophies in his hands, and the Patriots organization has become the gold standard in professional football. How did they do it? With unprecedented access granted by Belichick and his staff, author Michael Holley takes us deep inside the heart of a champion. A fly on the wall for two years, Holley captures Belichick at his most candid in team, coaches, and production meetings. What emerges is a portrait of a complicated man who is cerebral, yes, but also tough, demanding, stubborn, funny, profane, and a master strategist.

With his brain trust -- Scott Pioli, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, and Ernie Adams -- Belichick has imposed a winning system and painstakingly selected players who thrive in that system. Holley provides, for the first time, insights into how Belichick and his coaching Cabinet prepare for opponents, evaluate talent, run the draft, and how they design their offensive and defensive schemes. Readers will also learn the real stories behind the controversial Drew Bledsoe trade and the cutting of Lawyer Milloy, and how Belichick fought to keep the team together.

Frank, uncompromising, and stunning, Patriot Reign is required reading for football fans who want to understand what makes a champion tick.

Untill you show me something that is in depth as the two books than my advice to you would be to read them and than comment otherwise stay on your message board.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

No great athlete or coach in professional sports did it without being egotistical to some degree; look at the humble guys in this business and they're somewhere in the middle of the pack. I've read several books on Belichick and they're not really opinion-based but more so story-telling; the main point I got out of it was the Belichick the haters and detractors see is just a small part of the guy he is. If you read any of those books and gain insight into how he is with his players and behind closed doors, you'd have a different perception of him. Frankly, I don't think fans of other teams WANT to see the other side of him because he's so easy to hate.
    Posted by apdynasty23

That's a great point AP. Not just the Books but everything I've ever heard Michael Holly say about BB and the time he got to spend watching the practices and meetings while he was writing his book would back that up 100%.

As far as any players not doing on the field what they are told/taught to do that may be getting fixed through our latest draft. That paragraph made me instantly think of seeing BB on the sidelines telling the DB's to play up on the Line of scrimmage only to continue to see them laying 10yds off the line afterwards. A football team is like any other company. If they don't want to do what they're told then you can always find someone that will.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

its clear that brady was talking about a problem with the players, not the coaching. but i still want to know who was a problem besides AD. all we've heard all offseason was how bad the chemistry was, but we brought back the entire team besides, AD, baker, watson, and green. green was always a great locker room guy but his skills have declined and he got a payday in denver. watson seems like a stand-up guy, very religious, doubt he was a problem. and i dont know much about baker but he has no reputation of being a bad guy and besides he played way too small of a role on the team to have had a negative impact.

so who was it besides AD? (and possibly burgess, although i think the lack of interest in him has more to do with the fact that he isnt a good player anymore).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't think BB is egotistical.  I would say any opinion saying that would be based on nothing.  Some people will twist anything to make it fit their beliefs.  Fact is everyone who meets him says he is nice, he never says anything bad about anyone, and he always respects his players and opponents when asked about them.  

Does somebody have a quote or a story about him being a jerk, or several that would show a pattern? Or do they just make stuff up?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

its clear that brady was talking about a problem with the players, not the coaching. but i still want to know who was a problem besides AD. all we've heard all offseason was how bad the chemistry was, but we brought back the entire team besides, AD, baker, watson, and green. green was always a great locker room guy but his skills have declined and he got a payday in denver. watson seems like a stand-up guy, very religious, doubt he was a problem. and i dont know much about baker but he has no reputation of being a bad guy and besides he played way too small of a role on the team to have had a negative impact. so who was it besides AD? (and possibly burgess, although i think the lack of interest in him has more to do with the fact that he isnt a good player anymore).
    Posted by artielang

Artie,
    I remember after the Miami game watching highlights where they had belichick Mic'd up on the sideline and he was continuously going over to the DB's and telling them to get up in the faces of the WR's which didn't happen that whole game. I would say that there are probably a few more instances of that that we don't know about too. It'll be interesting to see what happens this year. We need energy and leadership out of a few guys on D and some of these other young guys should play follow the leader.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

That paragraph made me instantly think of seeing BB on the sidelines telling the DB's to play up on the Line of scrimmage only to continue to see them laying 10yds off the line afterwards.
    Posted by ewhite1065

You could hear BB saying to play up on the LOS? Really? Please send us the audio feed.  Because I find it difficult to believe that our DBs would flat out disobey the HC play after play, in fact, season after season because they've been doing that all decade.

BB likes his DBs to play off the line most of the time.  We've been one of the top 5-10 defenses year in and year out playing this way. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

its clear that brady was talking about a problem with the players, not the coaching. but i still want to know who was a problem besides AD. all we've heard all offseason was how bad the chemistry was, but we brought back the entire team besides, AD, baker, watson, and green. green was always a great locker room guy but his skills have declined and he got a payday in denver. watson seems like a stand-up guy, very religious, doubt he was a problem. and i dont know much about baker but he has no reputation of being a bad guy and besides he played way too small of a role on the team to have had a negative impact. so who was it besides AD? (and possibly burgess, although i think the lack of interest in him has more to do with the fact that he isnt a good player anymore).
    Posted by artielang

I would guess he's speaking more about generalities.  Like "if you spend extra time in the film room you'll be better prepared", and general guidelines to being a professional and maybe people speaking privately about doubting a game plan.  I doubt there was anything overt like not running a play or doing an exercise.  I would also figure he's aiming those comments at those individuals who have done or not done the things the coaches preach and to encourage players to police up the wrong behaviours.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I don't think BB is egotistical.  I would say any opinion saying that would be based on nothing.  Some people will twist anything to make it fit their beliefs.  Fact is everyone who meets him says he is nice, he never says anything bad about anyone, and he always respects his players and opponents when asked about them.   Does somebody have a quote or a story about him being a jerk, or several that would show a pattern? Or do they just make stuff up?
    Posted by shenanigan

Exactly. They're going to post links regarding Spygate, videos of cold handshakes, and pictures of disappointed schoolkids; they have no merit, no understanding of the real issue at hand, anything. It all stems from jealousy really. Like another poster said, 90% of fan bases would take Belichick and Brady in a heartbeat. Right now, there's no such thing as a solid organization on and off the field. In this era of cell phone cameras and 24/7/365 Internet access, no locker room is filled with 100% upstanding citizens. I think the Patriots are pretty damn close though and that's by design because they look to recruit good players (I say good and not great because that's also part of the philosophy: to not invest so much money in the first string of great players so you can then build quality depth) that are also good people.

Personally, I get tired of the detractors so I really don't even bother responding; I live in Atlanta and morons down here bash the Patriots as this cheating, lucky organization. These are the same geniuses that cheer for Michael Vick...on the Eagles...knowing damn well they didn't win anything with Vick anyway. They might as well the Patriots their Daddy because one of our guys turned the Falcons ship around.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

Artielang, I'm glad someone else saw it the same way I did...  I think he was refering to players not buying in 100%, not that BB wasn't coaching at 100%.  I heard that McGowan and Meriwether were joksters and could be found in laughing in the locker room after a loss...  Not saying they have a "bad" attitude, just using them as an example of not buying in 100%, maybe only 95%.  To win a SB everyone needs to be on the same page, you can have a winning season with 95% but you need the best out of your team to win it all.  I hope this year some players will step up the accountability for everyone to follow their proven leader in BB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Good article about Brady from SI.com : You could hear BB saying to play up on the LOS? Really? Please send us the audio feed.  Because I find it difficult to believe that our DBs would flat out disobey the HC play after play, in fact, season after season because they've been doing that all decade. BB likes his DBs to play off the line most of the time.  We've been one of the top 5-10 defenses year in and year out playing this way. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz

e is correct.  I also remember that scene.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Glad TB can have the best of both worlds, a family and playing football. if anyone takes his comments negatively they aren't Pats fans, or TB fans

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Good article about Brady from SI.com : e is correct.  I also remember that scene.
    Posted by Tcal2

Thankyou!!!. There's no link but it was on TV and now that I think about it They might have actually shown it during the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsareNumberone. Show PatsareNumberone's posts

In Response to Re: Good article about Brady from SI.com : Thankyou!!!. There's no link but it was on TV and now that I think about it They might have actually shown it during the game.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I saw that too. That was a segment that they ran during a timeout. When the NFL network replayed the game they also homed in on that and commented. That's why I remembered it.
    Don't pay attention to mightypatriot because he's the biggest cheap shot artist on this forum. He has no idea what he's talking about but he calls you a liar anyway.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

What was so good about this interview?  I could have told you that TB was not attending all voluntary team activities because he has a son that lives in CA.  What did I learn new from this article?  That he likes Brandon Tate.