Good article about Rob Ninkovich

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Good article about Rob Ninkovich

Pretty good read from WEEI.com:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/christopher-price/2012/11/09/how-rob-ninkovich-became-one-most-impor

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Good article about Rob Ninkovich

very good article, thanks for posting.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I like Nink, but if both him and Kyle Love were half as tough as Jones and Wilfork when we faced the Ravens we would've won easy. The Ravens doubled Wilfork and Chandler, left Love and Nink on one-on-ones. 

Neither Nink or Love smelled Flacco, he's playing better than then, but I hope he doesn't disappear like that again. He has to be able to beat man-on-man. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Neal,I think the comparison to Vrabel is just about right.They have similar styles.Hopefully,he can meet or exceed the  expectations put on him to become the same type of player that Vrabel was. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Ninks ballhawking skills are unbelievable .  If you're making plays like that , you're instinctual, heads up, in the right position.  All good.

sanchez hates the guy..., 2 picks last year, then game winning sack/strip/ roll over/ beat down / recovery move this year.  Nice...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Nink, but if both him and Kyle Love were half as tough as Jones and Wilfork when we faced the Ravens we would've won easy. The Ravens doubled Wilfork and Chandler, left Love and Nink on one-on-ones. 

Neither Nink or Love smelled Flacco, he's playing better than then, but I hope he doesn't disappear like that again. He has to be able to beat man-on-man. 

[/QUOTE]

In fairness, he was going up against a 340-pound right tackle. Really tough matchup when you're giving up 80 pounds.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

has he caught a touchdown or two yet?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Sorry, but to me he is nothing more than a decent backup. Too small, not fast enoguh, not athletic enough, gets pushed around, gets his sacks on hustle alone...nothing oppossing teams have to worry about. He may end up with a good sack total this season, but I think that will be because of the amount of playing time he is getting and the attention Jones gets on the other side.

This guy is NOT Vrabel. Vrabel was big, had long arms, was one of the smartest football players on the team and could stop the run. I've seen Ninkovich get pushed back ten yards on running plays at him...ten yards! And this isn't just a one time thing. This guy is the definition for being blocked - you put him against a left tackle and he won't sniff the quaterback.

I don't care that a google search will give you a feel good story about the guy - the same can be had for just about every player on every roster in the NFL. Good guy, nice bakup, plays hard...will be on the bench as soon as Belichick can get something better.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Nink looked bad early in the season, but has improved greatly as the season has progressed.  Right now, though, they're not really playing him in the Vrabel role.  They're using Nink primarly as a DE--lining hm up mostly in a down stance and having him always attacking at the LOS.  He's not dropping back into coverage and playing like a 3-4 OLB as Vrabel did.  I don't see Vrabel-like versatility in Nink, but Nink has been doing pretty well at that 4-3 DE role in recent games. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Vrabel wasn't used to cover? Yeah he was. He played middle backer for a year and did it well. He covered in the flat...he dropped back in zones over the middle. I'm not saying he was like Phifer, but his length, smarts and athletisism made him decent.

I'm not saying Ninkovich is terrible or that he has to be a star, it's just that he is an average football player. He plays a lot because we don't have much else at his spot. He's the type of guy I'd love to see coming off the bench for ten to 15 plays a game...the type that fills in for 4 weeks when your starter goes down.

You can't say Ninkovich could play middle backer or would be able to run a pass route and catch a pass - these are different athletes, playing different roles. Not the same. Why compare the two? Because they're both white and have facial hair? 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I've always liked Nink. He has good instincts and is usually around the ball. I thought he had a good game in the Super Bowl last year. He's gets so close to the QB at times it's frustrating, he just doesn't have the freakish talent that so few have to finish the play. You can't have all pros at every position so you need guys like Ninkovich to fill out your team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Listen I was/am rooting for him. When he started taking snaps away from Thomas I was happy, but I though he'd be a short term bandaid - not a full time starter. Smaller guys have had great careers at his spot, but he is missing some key ingredients to become those type of players in my opinion.

I just think he's a try hard guy..nothing more...nothing less. I like try hard guys, but they aren't going to be winning you Super Bowls unless they are surrounded by many good players. So you have a good point - Vrabel DID have it easier, but to me Vrabel was a much better player in his own right. Remember that stretch when he played with a broken arm? He had like 9 sacks that year. The first time we won the Super Bowl he was unblockable against Pittsburgh in that playoff game. Against Carolina and Philly he was similar...a pretty important player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vrabel didn't play a lot of coverage either.  He was always up near the line, like Nink. Phifer was more the guy BB used in those areas.

You don't see versatility? 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE, etc?  The guy is the jack knife of the LB group and BB loves him.

[/QUOTE]

They have played him as OLB in the past, but this year they're using more as a DE with much reduced coverage responsibilities.  I think his effectiveness has increased as he's had less coverage responsibility.  I think it allows him to focus more on pass rushing and not worry about other things.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree. He's a natural 4-3 DE while Vrabel was actually better in the 3-4.   But, that doesn't mean we haven't seen be used as a guy who can drop either.

Both had some versatility.  It's just that Vrabel was really effective as an OLB.  I think Nink does better in the DE position.  Overall, I'd rank Vrabel the better player, but Nink really has made a bunch of big plays in recent games.  I was quite critical of his play earlier in the season (and if you watch the film you'll see him getting pushed out of plays a lot) but his motor just seems a lot better recently and I've changed my opinion of him as the season has gone on.  He's certainly been playing at a much higher level over the past three or four games than he was playing during the first three or four. 

Again, it's about the skill sets and versatility so BB can use the player without subbing him if not necessary.

No doubt, BB likes these kinds of players. 

Earlier in the year I said BB should sub Nink in the 3-4 on passing downs because he wasn't showing he could be effective with it on 3 downs. Then, he just turned it up a notch and so he's done a nice job.  Not sure if he was battling some nagging injuries early in the year or not.

But, Nink also has a habit of making a big play when we need it, too, usually popping balls loose, which is something he's clearly better at than what Vrabel was.

Vrabel made a bunch of big plays too.  Nink is probably better at the strip as you say, but Vrabel was maybe a little more effective at getting sacks.  

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Good article, thanks for sharing with us.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Kind of like a Troy Brown of the D.