Good Article on Brady's Throwing Coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfans. Show patsfans's posts

Good Article on Brady's Throwing Coach

Good read for anyone interested:

http://espn.go.com/blog/AFCEast/post/_/id/14930/tom-brady-still-listens-to-qb-whisperer

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: Good Article on Brady's Throwing Coach

"When a guy gets that good like Brady, the quarterback coach is intimidated because he's not as good as the player," Martinez said.

Insert Belichick for Brady and Coordinators for QB Coach and you have a reason why our play calling has become stale on both sides of the ball.  We've had a run of young inexperienced coordinators since 04 and in a way I think it hurts more then helps the team.  Maybe it time for experienced, seasoned coordinators that arn't afraid or should I say intimidated by BB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Probably why Brady has also decided to stay in California. Hook up with his mentor and work on his mechanics. I'm really expecting a big season from Brady this year, maybe not 2007, but one of those seasons that will leave the prognosticators throwing away their predictions and Jets and Phins knowing as long as TB is slinging the ball they might as well get use to 2nd place at best.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfans. Show patsfans's posts

In Response to Re: Good Article on Brady's Throwing Coach:
    "When a guy gets that good like Brady, the quarterback coach is intimidated because he's not as good as the player," Martinez said. Insert Belichick for Brady and Coordinators for QB Coach and you have a reason why our play calling has become stale on both sides of the ball.  We've had a run of young inexperienced coordinators since 04 and in a way I think it hurts more then helps the team.  Maybe it time for experienced, seasoned coordinators that arn't afraid or should I say intimidated by BB.
    Posted by Tcal2

I think you make a good point.  I think the biggest problem with a young/inexperienced guy in that role is that they're probably afraid to argue with him, unlike a guy like Charlie Weis whom I think many of us heard curse out a veteran and didn't care who it was.  Plus Weis wasn't afraid to take some chances and was pretty innovative.

McDaniels seemed to really start realizing that he needed to play to Brady and his personnel's strengths instead of forcing his own ideas onto the offense, which I believe is one of the reasons why he did so well.  And clearly when you break records like they did in '07, obviously offensively there wasn't much to argue with - although there are things you can nitpick the things that didn't go well.  For me I think they did a bad job of adjusting protections, and waited too long (basically until the end of the game) to really start rolling Brady out to avoid the rush to create better throwing lanes during the SB, but we could go on about that forever in another post.

Getting back to my other point, I think they need someone who can challenge Brady and not be afraid to get in his face, so I think if Belichick is in that role obviously that may help them.  It's definitely going to be interesting to see how that dynamic works this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"We've had a run of young inexperienced coordinators since 04 and in a way I think it hurts more then helps the team.  Maybe it time for experienced, seasoned coordinators that arn't afraid or should I say intimidated by BB."

I think you overlook the reason why we've had a string of inexperienced vs. seasoned coordinators.  Belichick is all about continuity.  While you always have to self-scout and tweak things to stay on top, their basic principles do not change from yr to yr.  They can add layers to what they do but don't have to start at the bottom and build from scratch.  You need to promote from within to accomplish this.  If you bring in an established coordinator, he's going to want run his system.  You either have to start all over and lose that continuity or you have to teach that coordinator the Pats system which really wouldn't make sense to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"We've had a run of young inexperienced coordinators since 04 and in a way I think it hurts more then helps the team.  Maybe it time for experienced, seasoned coordinators that arn't afraid or should I say intimidated by BB."   I think you overlook the reason why we've had a string of inexperienced vs. seasoned coordinators.  Belichick is all about continuity.  While you always have to self-scout and tweak things to stay on top, their basic principles do not change from yr to yr.  They can add layers to what they do but don't have to start at the bottom and build from scratch.  You need to promote from within to accomplish this.  If you bring in an established coordinator, he's going to want run his system.  You either have to start all over and lose that continuity or you have to teach that coordinator the Pats system which really wouldn't make sense to do.
    Posted by siestafiesta

I look at it as new blood bringing fresh ideas sf.  You infuse some of them and thus evolve over time instead of remaining predictable.  I'm not saying you throw the book away and start over, just tweak and adjust things from a different prospective.  It's the continuity that I believe has lead to the predictability.

Then again it won't matter if our offense clicks and we score more then our opponents in ever game. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"I'm not saying you throw the book away and start over, just tweak and adjust things from a different prospective.  It's the continuity that I believe has lead to the predictability."

We'll see.  It could be continuity that leads to predictability or it could be O'Brien learning on the job to be an NFL OC.  I think you have to give him this yr to judge his progression.  I've said it before but many of the same criticisms were voiced after McDaniels' first yr calling plays.

And maybe it's a negative reflection on Belichick but we've already seen him bring in highly respected Dom Capers and not let him put his stamp on the D.  Crennel and Weis had unique relationships with Bill because they were former proteges that rose through the coaching ranks together.  You cannot expect him to bring in an outsider and give them the same amount of autonomy that Crennel and Weis had.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think the staleness of the offense last year was a combination of a few things:

1.The play calling was terrible. We ran Maroney/Taylor out of the same formations every time. What happened to disguising the run?

2. Abandoned the play action pass largely in part due to the untimely demise of Ben Watson or any other TE on our team(kinda wish we never got rid of David Thomas)

3. Lack of offensive personnel. No 3rd wr as Galloway has never been anything more then a deep threat which we already had. No possession receiver on the team.

Also if you look at Brady's stats up until around week 10 or so he was pretty damn good. During the stretch of his apparent 3 broken ribs and broken finger on his throwing hand his stats dwindled. Makes sense to me. Sure would have been nice to start running the ball 60% of the time during this stretch but....

Then he comes back and basically goes 25-26 to clinch the afc east against Jacksonville.

The #1 concern going into this season is the teams ability to effectively run the ball. If we have a run threat then we will see the best Play Action QB of all at his best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfans. Show patsfans's posts

I think the staleness of the offense last year was a combination of a few things: 1.The play calling was terrible. We ran Maroney/Taylor out of the same formations every time. What happened to disguising the run? 2. Abandoned the play action pass largely in part due to the untimely demise of Ben Watson or any other TE on our team(kinda wish we never got rid of David Thomas) 3. Lack of offensive personnel. No 3rd wr as Galloway has never been anything more then a deep threat which we already had. No possession receiver on the team. Also if you look at Brady's stats up until around week 10 or so he was pretty damn good. During the stretch of his apparent 3 broken ribs and broken finger on his throwing hand his stats dwindled. Makes sense to me. Sure would have been nice to start running the ball 60% of the time during this stretch but.... Then he comes back and basically goes 25-26 to clinch the afc east against Jacksonville. The #1 concern going into this season is the teams ability to effectively run the ball. If we have a run threat then we will see the best Play Action QB of all at his best.
    Posted by TrueChamp

I think your points more or less hit the nail on the head, especially in regards to the play action passes.  There were plenty of times that they could have gotten more production in the middle of the field by getting the safeties to bite, which is something that Brady has always done so well.  I also agree that there were times that it was pretty clear what they were going to do as far as the running plays went, and they definitely could have disguised some of those plays much better.  You can make the argument regarding the effectiveness of their running game, but even if they're having success stopping it, it's still the difference between linebackers coming up vs dropping into coverage.

It's aggravating when you have someone with Brady's ability and proven success on playaction passes, and we could have seen more plays over the middle - or potentially on the outside where a step or two for guys like Welker and Moss is an advantage that would have come in handy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

I think the staleness of the offense last year was a combination of a few things: 1.The play calling was terrible. We ran Maroney/Taylor out of the same formations every time. What happened to disguising the run? 2. Abandoned the play action pass largely in part due to the untimely demise of Ben Watson or any other TE on our team(kinda wish we never got rid of David Thomas) 3. Lack of offensive personnel. No 3rd wr as Galloway has never been anything more then a deep threat which we already had. No possession receiver on the team. Also if you look at Brady's stats up until around week 10 or so he was pretty damn good. During the stretch of his apparent 3 broken ribs and broken finger on his throwing hand his stats dwindled. Makes sense to me. Sure would have been nice to start running the ball 60% of the time during this stretch but.... Then he comes back and basically goes 25-26 to clinch the afc east against Jacksonville. The #1 concern going into this season is the teams ability to effectively run the ball. If we have a run threat then we will see the best Play Action QB of all at his best.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Agree, I see screens making a big comeback this year....

Sections
Shortcuts