Good Game prolate0spheroid

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Good Game prolate0spheroid

In response to saskpatsfan's comment:

I feel like Reimer is the type of goalie who gets in the way of shots more so then actually making quality saves. You look at the best goalies in the NHL they make the save and also kick the rebound into the corner or away from the opposing team. Not taking anything away from Reimer, because he did play well, I just don't think the Bruins helped their cause by shooting the puck into Reimers chest more often than not. 

I'm no Leafs fan but I definitely think they are on the right track with a skilled young team. Jake Gardiner definitely made a name for himself in these playoffs. Kid played great.

As much as I love the Pats I definitely know a lot more about hockey than I do football, having played the game my whole life. No minor football where I live!

Good post Sask.  That makes a lot of sense from what I saw.  On the other side, I was impressed with Rask's ability to catch and hold the puck.  Is he particularly good at that or is that what we should expect from a staring calibre goalie? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't think I've ever seen a game turn so quickly in any sport in my entire life. The Leafs were literally scating circles around the Bruins for 50 out of the 60 minutes of regulation...then BOOM! I've never seen a pulled goalie situation work like that. In overtime the Leafs played scared - I watched five of their players glide during that last shift (they weren't moving their feet at all). They were in a funk, they couldn't get out of it...I almost feel bad for them....hockey is their game in that city.

The Bruins had a lot of success the night before too when they went six on five.  I know I was worried as soon as the Bruins pulled Rask.  There was still a lot of time left and I thought the Bruins were fully capable of getting two (or more quick goals) with six guys in the attacking zone. I'd be interested in hearing someone who knows hockey better than I do explain why the Leafs looked pretty good five on four on their penalty kills but so bad six on five.  Sask?  Rusty? Jri37?

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good stuff guys . . . I'm learning a lot here . . . 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I don't think I've ever seen a game turn so quickly in any sport in my entire life. The Leafs were literally scating circles around the Bruins for 50 out of the 60 minutes of regulation...then BOOM! I've never seen a pulled goalie situation work like that. In overtime the Leafs played scared - I watched five of their players glide during that last shift (they weren't moving their feet at all). They were in a funk, they couldn't get out of it...I almost feel bad for them....hockey is their game in that city.

The Bruins had a lot of success the night before too when they went six on five.  I know I was worried as soon as the Bruins pulled Rask.  There was still a lot of time left and I thought the Bruins were fully capable of getting two (or more quick goals) with six guys in the attacking zone. I'd be interested in hearing someone who knows hockey better than I do explain why the Leafs looked pretty good five on four on their penalty kills but so bad six on five.  Sask?  Rusty? Jri37?

Pro, B's fans are asking the same question today. Why were they so effective in 6-5 advantage yet so anemic in the 5-4. My opinion and it is only an opinion I think the Leafs at the end of the game didn't attack the puck when it went to the boards like they they did on the normal PP. It seemed they were intent to let the B's have the passing lanes in the 6-5 where in the 5-4 they attacked the puck. Again it was only my observation.

Haha yeah I'm not sure if you can actually chalk anything up to a breakdown in strategy or just the simple fact that the Leafs looked plain lost/overwhelmed in the last 3 minutes of the game. And I think Rusty pointed out that in overtime they just looked like they were almost shell shocked from giving up a 3 goal lead with 9 minutes left in game 7.

As for goalies, I feel like guys like Rask, Price, Fleury etc. play their angles extremely well, but the slightest bit of hesitation or lack on concentration on playing those angles can make them look lost. I think Price and Fleury are two of the most athletically gifted goalies in the league, but when they get cold, they get really cold.

Personally I thing King Henrik in NYR plays a great balance of playing "big" as well as being athletic enough to play his angles and come up with atheltic saves. Thats my personal opinion anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Personally I don't know how anyone can score on any of these NHL goaltenders - their pads are so big and they come out so far...there's nothing to shoot at. They all copy the butterfly technique and most of them are tall enough to protect a good part up top. Add in the athleticism and its tough to score unless its a rebound, or back door goal. 

I like Rask, I think if we had lost that series he didn't deserve much/any of the blame. The guy is playing pretty damn confident right now...that's more than you can say for most of our post season goaltending history over the last decade (aside from the run Thomas had).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

Personally I don't know how anyone can score on any of these NHL goaltenders - their pads are so big and they come out so far...there's nothing to shoot at. They all copy the butterfly technique and most of them are tall enough to protect a good part up top. Add in the athleticism and its tough to score unless its a rebound, or back door goal. 

I like Rask, I think if we had lost that series he didn't deserve much/any of the blame. The guy is playing pretty damn confident right now...that's more than you can say for most of our post season goaltending history over the last decade (aside from the run Thomas had).

Yeah I think Rask will be a consistent goalie for his career. The fact that the Leafs traded Rask for Andrew Raycroft straight up has to make any Leaf fan sick to their stomach haha.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I played goalie as a kid.  The exception was I had regular skates which are higher up off the ice.  You can only cut so many lawns in the summer. You can think anything about the butterfly and any technique but kicking those pads out is hard. You play the angles , it's less physical. In close it's free style. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Seen this over on the Bruins forum.... under the tile Ship Jumpers Roll Call

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Please exit the forum, as you are not real Bruin Fans.

SonFanInIl

Ipotnyc

mattbs

StanleyCuptotheBruins2011

BassFishingII

pumpsie-green

thefly8

ThatHockeyGuy

dbeach48

BostonIrishGuy

rhcp77

Theres more. Well you guiys who said you were done watching, you'll miss a terrific second round.

Rusty over there causing problems too?  Bailed on the Bruins before the game ended and now here giving others a bad time about their team choking?

well well well....what a surprise!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to saskpatsfan's comment:

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Pro, B's fans are asking the same question today. Why were they so effective in 6-5 advantage yet so anemic in the 5-4. My opinion and it is only an opinion I think the Leafs at the end of the game didn't attack the puck when it went to the boards like they they did on the normal PP. It seemed they were intent to let the B's have the passing lanes in the 6-5 where in the 5-4 they attacked the puck. Again it was only my observation.

Haha yeah I'm not sure if you can actually chalk anything up to a breakdown in strategy or just the simple fact that the Leafs looked plain lost/overwhelmed in the last 3 minutes of the game. And I think Rusty pointed out that in overtime they just looked like they were almost shell shocked from giving up a 3 goal lead with 9 minutes left in game 7.

As for goalies, I feel like guys like Rask, Price, Fleury etc. play their angles extremely well, but the slightest bit of hesitation or lack on concentration on playing those angles can make them look lost. I think Price and Fleury are two of the most athletically gifted goalies in the league, but when they get cold, they get really cold.

Personally I thing King Henrik in NYR plays a great balance of playing "big" as well as being athletic enough to play his angles and come up with atheltic saves. Thats my personal opinion anyway.

Wink

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts