Good news for the Patriots... the Texans looked really bad tonight on offense!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good news for the Patriots... the Texans looked really bad tonight on offense!

Mainly it was Fitzpatrick who looked really bad but Keenum and Savage aren't the answer either.  O'Brien might feel like he has to make a move here and goes after Mallet because he knows the offense and O'Brien.   Damn, that would would be excellent, they would have to make the trade fast...Swap Mallet for a TE if the chance is there.

Personally I think this is just wishful thinking, I would ride Fiztpatrick this season and work with Savage and be open to going after a better QB next season like maybe Alex Smith, Hoyer or someone like that.  I really don't think Mallet is a NFL starter but let's hope that O'Brien thinks he is!!  My hope has now increased that Mallet is gone ASAP to the Texans... I doubt BOB would trade away TE C.J Fiedorowicz, but I would take TE Ryan Griffin of their hands!! 

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Good news for the Patriots... the Texans looked really bad tonight on offense!

I honestly don't see the Texans winning more than 5 games with their current offense set up. Not sure Mallet gives them more wins, but I agree hopefully O'Brien thinks Mallet could give them a better shot to win. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Good news for the Patriots... the Texans looked really bad tonight on offense!

Texans aren't a threat, Savage is their best QB and not necessarily a good thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If OB is not going to run a vertical offense, neither Fitz nor Mallett would be the answer for that team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

If OB is not going to run a vertical offense, neither Fitz nor Mallett would be the answer for that team. 

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Landi don't understand, I thought the pats ran a horizontal passing game ? And Mallett needed to be in a different Offense.? And isn't OB. Running the pats Offense. And you didn't feel Mallett could be successful here?

i guess my ? Is, could you define horizontal vs vertical?

an honest ? Rkarp, nothing more, nothing less

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Just don't see it. OB knows Mallett better than anyone not on the Pats. If he thought highly of him at any point he could have had him for Hou's 3rd and he didn't even offer that. To me that says OB just doesn't think that highly of Mallett to begin with.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Why would we want to trade the only back up QB who knows how to run our offense? Tom is 37 years old...

[object HTMLDivElement]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Why would we want to trade the only back up QB who knows how to run our offense? Tom is 37 years old...

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

because we will lose him anyways and if he's not good enough to go 50/50 then we aren't going anywhere with him at the helm. BB has cut many QB's who "know the system" in favor of R-1 year players in the past. Knowing the system doesn't mean anything if you aren't good enough to win games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have rarely seen the Patriots play wonderfully in a preseason game.  However, they dominate in two-team scrimmages.

Mallett went against the defensive starters for the Red Skins.  Mallett went without Gronk of course, but he also played without Edelman, without Amendola, without Hoom and without Dobson.  So who was open?  Boyce?  I suppose that Mallett could have thrown the ball to Bill Belichick, who was always wide open, except he wasn't in bounds.

In addition, I hold to my view that many teams set out to throw preseason games, or at least the final score is no object.  If this theory were false, we might have seen BB throw his red flag and challenge the incomplete call on the Win One for the Garopper's first touchdown pass.  If this theory were false, we wouldn't have seen a fourth and goal attempted from the four yard line.  If this theory were false, we wouldn't have seen a two point conversion attempt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Landi don't understand, I thought the pats ran a horizontal passing game ? And Mallett needed to be in a different Offense.? And isn't OB. Running the pats Offense. And you didn't feel Mallett could be successful here?

i guess my ? Is, could you define horizontal vs vertical?

an honest ? Rkarp, nothing more, nothing less

Sea wolf. It appears you are asking me something, but from a drunken stupor. Once more in English or once more when you are sober. Thanks. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Patseng,

How could you possibly know if he is good enough to win games? He has 4 nfl snaps, not because he sucks, but because Brady thankfully doesn't miss time. 

Also if anything BB has shown he likes to wait a year for rookie QBs to get a shot at earning the #2 spot.  Brady, Huard, Hoyer, Cassel, Mallet etc.... I don't think we have ever had a rookie QB as the #2 have we?

So, it might be your opinion that Mallet isn't good enough to win games but you probably shared the same opinion of Cassel. Experience in this offense is what is important.  Mallet has it, Jimmy the Greek doesn't. ..yet.

[object HTMLDivElement]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Patseng,

How could you possibly know if he is good enough to win games? He has 4 nfl snaps, not because he sucks, but because Brady thankfully doesn't miss time. 

Also if anything BB has shown he likes to wait a year for rookie QBs to get a shot at earning the #2 spot.  Brady, Huard, Hoyer, Cassel, Mallet etc.... I don't think we have ever had a rookie QB as the #2 have we?

So, it might be your opinion that Mallet isn't good enough to win games but you probably shared the same opinion of Cassel. Experience in this offense is what is important.  Mallet has it, Jimmy the Greek doesn't. ..yet.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

From 4 preseasons he just doesn't look like he has the capability of leading a playoff caliber team. Yes, that's just my opinion but I seem to share it with a lot of experts too.

If experience is what's important then why did BB cut Davey in favor of Cassel, or O'Connell in favor of Hoyer, or Hoyer in favor of Mallett? All had more experience than their respect counterparts yet BB still cut them. In the end it boils down to how much of a difference between each QB is and if that difference is worth a roster spot. We each have different opinions and I respect that but I wouldn't toss out the idea just because a player has experience.

Btw Hoyer was the only backup when he was a rook and also Cassel was the #2 in 05' as a rook though he did have Flutie, but really did you think of Flutie as an actual QB bckup or just a favor for BB who loves those types of players and history?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

because we will lose him anyways and if he's not good enough to go 50/50 then we aren't going anywhere with him at the helm. BB has cut many QB's who "know the system" in favor of R-1 year players in the past. Knowing the system doesn't mean anything if you aren't good enough to win games.

ENG

Agreed. Experience is not enough without being able to win games. But, why has Mallet been our #2 with no backup for several years if he cannot win games? Does BB see a different Mallet than what we have seen in preseason?

Sections
Shortcuts