Good Omen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Re: Good Omen?

In Response to Re: Good Omen?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Omen? : Brady retired in the first quarter last year for the season and I think we went 11-5 with Matt *hasn't started a game since high school* Cassel. Honestly I could care less about band wagon fans, most of them don't know anything about football as it is. I really don't see the Pats going 2 and 14 anytime soon. Could be the Oakland pick which should be a top 5 can get a new QB to take Brady's place when he's all said and done.
    Posted by Philskiw[/QUOTE]
    fair enough...i just wouldnt expect the kind of success you guys have had this decade to continue very far into the next one

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]Two undefeated teams in two weeks. Sean Payton has one of the better offensive minds in the NFL and as I stated early on in season predictions that if New Orleans continued to acquire quality defensive players (Vilma, Sharper Ellis) they would be a legitimate NFC contenders. Brees is one of the smarter QBs in league and the offensive has been successful in buying him time pocket. I concur with anyone who says that this could be BB's defensive schemes versus Payton's offensive schemes, however, the Pats offense is close to rolling on all cylinders. I hope to see more balance from the Pats offense and new alignments and schemes from the Pats D. Collapsing the pocket and pass rush will be key. I personally have always liked the Saints as a team, however, their are a few things to dislike about the city and the state.....high crime rate and David Duke.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

The high crime rate is isolated to areas the general public does not visit.  The city which I live in is ranked among the most crime free in the nation.  As for David Duke ... I haven't heard a peep out of that bayou slime in many years.  He is persona non grata in Louisiana.  As for the city of New Orleans, I feel good enough about it to let my son attend the University of New Orleans as a student/athlete.  It is a great city with a wonderful culture encompassing music, history and my son's passion and major, film.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Omen? : Drew Brees himself said that the Saints try to emulate the Pats because we are a dynasty and have winning for years.......
    Posted by ALLDAWAYPATS[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!  That is a point I made in another thread.  The Saints and the Patriots histories mirror each other.  The only difference is that the Patriots came in the league in 1960 while the Saints showed up seven years later in 1967.  The Patriots experienced many dismal years with a few brief periods of minor success until that first magical season when they won it all.  Since that point they have been a fixture in the playoffs.

The Saints past is eerily similar to that of the Patriots.  Don't forget that in only four of the twelve years prior to that 2001 championship did the Patriots have a winning record.  While there were no bags on the heads I know there was great discontent.  This very well may be OUR 2001.  No one believed in the Patriots that year.  They were disrespected.  The elite Rams were supposed to roll over them simply because they were experienced at winning.

Monday is just one more step in a special first season for the Saints.  Nothing more, nothing less.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]What's the deal with this NO fan that thinks his team is going to blow out the Patriots? it will be a close game but the Saints will pull away in the second half? You've really got to be kidding me. You have to go back to 2006 for the last time anyone has pulled away from the Pats. I really like seeing how over-confident all of these New Orleans fans are. You can tell this is their first rodeo considering they act like rookies. This isn't the Rams you're facing that gave the Saints a run for their money. The Pats will put up 35-40 points this game. The only way the saints beat them is by scoring more. And by the way, the Vikings are the best team in the NFC a/k/a football's National League. Brees is a carbon copy, Brady is the original. Also, I bet every Saints jersey there was purchased this year considering the place was dead empty last year and in year's passed. The Pats aren't going anywhere. On the other hand, we have seen teams like the Saints come and go in the last decade while the Pats still remained dominant.
    Posted by Diesel12[/QUOTE]

Sorry to disappoint you, but Saints jerseys have been in my household for many years.  As for last year and many years into the past, every season ticket has been sold out for years.  The only way to get one of the few avaiable tickets to the dome is to know somebody, or get one of the nosebleed seats or pay out your tail.  You obviously have no clue about the fan support in New Orleans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Omen? : You might be right, Guido -- I don't live on the Gulf anymore and never much cared for the Saints when I did -- but you missed the point. I was there. And it wasn't the '70s and nobody was wearing bags on their heads. The Saint's were the same mediocre team they've always been, and the part of the stadium they inhabited was less than that of the visiting team . . .  in this particular example, the pre-Brady New England Patriots. In no way, shape or form was the dome full, and even if it had been, it would have been at least half-full of people rooting for the other team. Don't get me wrong -- Your guys are undefeated and deserve all the praise they get, and I think it's great that you're a loyal Saints fan (or, at least, claim to be) -- but don't come in here and try to tell me that the Saints have had a rabid, loyal following that sticks with them through thick and thin despite all and sundry horrors and unfortunacies (which probably isn't a word). None of that is true. It's bullsh*t -- or, to use another word, a lie. I lived on the Gulf Coast for more than ten years with the Saints as my regionally-designated home team and not only did they s*ck for most of that time, but you couldn't find a Saints fan who was willing to admit it out loud anywhere in LSU country if somebody pointed a gun at your head and said "Who Dat?" You seem a reasonable fellow, and I don't want to present myself as some kind of yankee @-hole who is busting your balls simply because you're here, but dude . . . you're full of sh*t.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Where on the Gulf coast did you live?  One thing to consider is while the Gulf Coast is regionally the Saints domain, it is in the state of Louisiana itself where they have always been revered.  A Mississippi or Alabama based fan may be physically as close to New Orleans as someone from south Louisiana, but I know for a fact they do not feel the same attraction.  The Saints are Louisiana's team and especially the Saints are New Orleans team. 

Wait, I will amend that last statement.  There are a number of misguided individuals up here in the northwestern corner of the state that support the Cowboys.  For the past 40 years there has been a bitter rivalry in this part of the state between Cowgrl and Saints fans.  Another pocket surrounds the Baton Rouge area where LSU football is king.  While there has always been a large Saints presence there, purple and gold are worn six days a week while the black and gold are religated to game day.  And given an LSU home game on the same weekend as a Saints game, those Saints tickets are likely to go unused if not sold.

But, back the Saints fans.  The best way to equate it for you is to compare it to your Red Sox.  When walking the streets of Boston I know it is difficult to go for very long without seeing a Red Sox cap.  It is ingrained into the culture of the city.  New Orleans, and much of south Louisiana, is the same way.  The Saints have been an integral part of the culture for over 40 years.  If you get away from the tourist driven French Quarter areas you will not be able to go five minutes without seeing a Saints cap, a Saints shirt, a Saints jacket, a Saints license plate, a Saints tatoo, a Saints flag, etc.  It has been this way for decades. 

Personally, I have always been proud to display my loyalty to the Saints.  I still have and wear certain Saints items that are well over 20 years old.  Many others had to be retired to the trash bin (not my doing, my wife made me) ions ago because of excessive wear.  Up until this last March every vehicle I drove had to be black so that my Saints floormats, steering wheel cover, ditty bag, etc would match.  I now drive a red car, but it does have an awesome Saints front plate.

I am not unique here in Louisiana.  I am more the norm.  Seriously, there is no bullsh*t involved and I certainly am not lying.  I do not doubt your experience in the Dome.  Given it was pre-Brady era it was most likely during that stretch when both the Saints and the Patriots were struggling.  Even the most diehard of fans sometimes find it difficult to show up in those cases.  It even used to happen with the Saints fanbase.  This is no longer true.  For years there has been a large waiting list for season tickets.  For years the only way to attend a Saints game was aftermarket ticket acquisition.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Well, to answer your question, I lived in Pensacola, FL, and only claim the Saints as the "home" team because of regional television coverage. But the point I was trying to make was that I've been in that stadium more than once for Saints games, and your depiction of 70,000 die-hard Saints faithful simply isn't accurate over time.  I have no doubt that the dome is full now, and I'm also not against bandwagon fans -- to a point. When I was a young man, rooting for the Pats was a badge of honor. They were a laughingstock and it took character to root for that team even in your own home town. You would do well to pay little attention to most of the blather you read on sites like this. The Pats are not very unlike the Saints -- they were a clown college for many years, and  you may well believe me when I tell you that I know bandwagon when I see it -- and it's all over this board. But you telling me that there are 70,000 Saints fans just like you is like me trying to tell you that Sullivan Stadium was full the day John Smith kicked that improbable field goal (see avatar) after Mark Henderson cleared a path on that bitter December day some 18 years ago. It makes for a nice story, but it ain't necessarily so. I was in the stands that day, and I consider it important to my nature as a fan to remind people that not everyone who claims to have loved the Pats since the "bad old days" is necessarily telling the truth.

I'm gonna give you points, Guido, for being more respectful than most opposing fans who come in here. But I'm not giving you this diehard Saints Nation you've imagined. I know it doesn't exist, and I know you know it, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Omen? : Absolutely!  That is a point I made in another thread.  The Saints and the Patriots histories mirror each other.  The only difference is that the Patriots came in the league in 1960 while the Saints showed up seven years later in 1967.  The Patriots experienced many dismal years with a few brief periods of minor success until that first magical season when they won it all.  Since that point they have been a fixture in the playoffs. The Saints past is eerily similar to that of the Patriots.  Don't forget that in only four of the twelve years prior to that 2001 championship did the Patriots have a winning record. 
    Posted by AsylumGuido[/QUOTE]

Guido, There may be some similarities in the regard that both teams did have long periods fielding bad teams, however the Patriots did have two trips to the Super bowl prior to 2001. I would say that is worth more than what you called a "Minor success". Look around the league some teams still haven't even played in a Super bowl let alone won the SB including the Saints.

Obviously the 1985-year was an embarrassment to say the least, but the 1996 team was a very good team that played a respectable game. I still believe if our coach had been more prepared for the Super bowl game than lining up his job next season with the Jets we might have won that Super bowl. I recall Belicheck's(def coordinator) statement that Parcell's lack of preparation for the SB was completely unprofessional.

The Pat's certainly weren't one of the NFL's elite teams prior to the SB in 2001, but they had a very respectable team during the Parcells years and made the Playoffs 4-5 years from 1994-1998. They had a short period of below mediocrity during the Pete Carroll years.

The Bottom line even if you take all three of the Patriots Super bowl wins out of the equation, the Patriots have had considerably more success than the Saints.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Omen? : Guido, There may be some similarities in the regard that both teams did have long periods fielding bad teams, however the Patriots did have two trips to the Super bowl prior to 2001. I would say that is worth more than what you called a "Minor success". Look around the league some teams still haven't even played in a Super bowl let alone won the SB including the Saints. Obviously the 1985-year was an embarrassment to say the least, but the 1996 team was a very good team that played a respectable game. I still believe if our coach had been more prepared for the Super bowl game than lining up his job next season with the Jets we might have won that Super bowl. I recall Belicheck's(def coordinator) statement that Parcell's lack of preparation for the SB was completely unprofessional. The Pat's certainly weren't one of the NFL's elite teams prior to the SB in 2001, but they had a very respectable team during the Parcells years and made the Playoffs 4-5 years from 1994-1998. They had a short period of below mediocrity during the Pete Carroll years. The Bottom line even if you take all three of the Patriots Super bowl wins out of the equation, the Patriots if considerably more success than the Saints.
    Posted by kman2004[/QUOTE]

I agree.  That is my point though.  The Patriots went from mediocre to elite based upon the number of factors.  I am saying those same factors are coming into play for the Saints ... finally.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

Guido,  You make your statements with your fingers crossed.  There is actually no comparison until the Saints actually win something.  10 games is a good start, but don't mean anything without a championship (as we know from '07).  If the Saints actually win the Super Bowl then you can start the comparisons.  I understand you are excited after not being use to winning, but there is still a lot of football left to be played.  After this week, you and your fellow Saints fans will be grounded.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

AsylumGuido,
    Is your profile pic a picture of you? I ask because I urinated on someone who looks just like you once. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be funny or mean or anything. It's actually a true story.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]AsylumGuido, Is your profile pic a picture of you? I ask because I urinated on someone who looks just like you once. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be funny or mean or anything. It's actually a true story.
    Posted by DynastyXXXVI[/QUOTE]

It is possible.  I do remember a rather sad looking individual with a uncontrollable drool and an obvious urinary problem (soaked crotch area was a sure giveaway) that relieved themselves in my direction, but it seems their aim was as bad as their bladder control as they fortunately missed.

But, no, that isn't a true picture of me.  My hat features a black and gold fleur de lis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]Guido,  You make your statements with your fingers crossed.  There is actually no comparison until the Saints actually win something.  10 games is a good start, but don't mean anything without a championship (as we know from '07).  If the Saints actually win the Super Bowl then you can start the comparisons.  I understand you are excited after not being use to winning, but there is still a lot of football left to be played.  After this week, you and your fellow Saints fans will be grounded.
    Posted by ALLDAWAYPATS[/QUOTE]

No comparisons need to be made beyond this year's.  The past is the past and has no relevance to Monday's game or this season's championship.  But, all statements I have made are based upon honest observation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

no, i knew it wasn't you that i urinated on, just thought the pic looked like the guy... unless of course you were laying face down on a floor in barnesville GA about ten years ago, smashed on peyote and trying to strangle a defensless kitten. Trust me, the guy needed to be peed on, even if it was by an immature drunken, collge freshman.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]no, i knew it wasn't you that i urinated on, just thought the pic looked like the guy... unless of course you were laying face down on a floor in barnesville GA about ten years ago, smashed on peyote and trying to strangle a defensless kitten. Trust me, the guy needed to be peed on, even if it was by an immature drunken, collge freshman.
    Posted by DynastyXXXVI[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an interesting evening ... I think.