Good Running Game Overrated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Good Running Game Overrated?

Here are some cold, hard football facts on the subject, showing that a good rushing attack is not essential to winning a championship. Is this the reason why RBs are so devalued? The article below also features an explanation as to why Maurice Jones-Drew is not worth signing to a big money contract: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_5398_Ground_%26_Pound%3F_MJD_and_how_great_teams_ran_the_ball.html  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from helterskelter. Show helterskelter's posts

Re: Good Running Game Overrated?

What you missed homes is rushing attempts is the key to keep the offence balanced check paragraph 3,not ypa attempts peroid.Something BB seems to know nothing about.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think the thing they are missing is not whether the run game is important during the regular season but how it competes in the post season. As we all know the game is gearing towards more passing and during the regular season passing is king but there is a clear difference in play between the regular season and the playoffs. I still feel when you get into the playoffs and the level of competition is higher that a solid running game to keep playoff caliber D's and the ability to run off the clock becomes enhanced at that point. Lets face it, against the average D in the league Brady will rip them apart, when he gets into the playoffs and he's facing a 4 man front that can pin their ears back and effectively get to him with a 4 man rush then the game changes. An effective running game can reduce the effectiveness of that 4 man rush as well as close out games later, in which most playoff games are played a lot closer and down to the last 5 mins then in the regular season. Again, the ability to run the ball effectively to close out the game becomes apparent in those 5mins and can mean the difference between winning or losing.

So I would say for a fringe playoff or not hope team running is overrated, but for a top level SB caliber team running is underrated, now a days, to the success of a team in the post-season

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I generally buy into Byrne's take on an issue.

I believe among other factors the reality that defensive players are so much bigger than they were years ago means that, very very very few RBs can hold up to the pounding and remain effective for numbers of years. So a good team builder is not likely to pour tremendous resources into a guy that can earn that kind of investment only on a very short term basis.

QBs are just a much better investment these days.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think it's big if you have a good running game, there's something to be said about being able to be diverse in your offense, close out games and break a team's will physically.

There is so much that needs to go into having a good running game...the offensive line, tight ends, the runner, the blocking of the receiver, etc. I can see why teams don't do it as much (or well) anymore - add in the fact that all it takes is a holding call or fumble and you're cooked. The new emphasis on the rules also make passing easier and more effective, but I still think running the ball is very very important.

Hopefully the young backs we have will be able to provide us with something our lead runner last year couldn't...a running threat. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think an effective running game has more to with when a team runs rather than pretty stats that says they're a "good" running team.  There are so-so teams that can run the ball and pile up yards, and there are other teams that are mediocre (statistically) but are perennial contenders. (Can anyone figure out what team I'm talking about -- rhymes with hateriots.)  I think running the ball sets the tone, makes a team less predictable, tires out the other team's defense and limits the opportunities of the other team to get things going offensively due to limited possessions.  And don't forget it helps a defense if a team's offense can keep them off the field.

I'm predicting a long, protracted argument here and a thread that drones on and on.  But I will never be convinced that fielding a team that can run to open up other parts of its offense and to close games is a bad model to emulate. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

As mentioned above, it is not about having an Adrian Peterson. It is about having a semblance of balance to your offense. To be unpredictable is to prevent opposing defense's from cheating toward one side or the other. In this respect nothing has changed. This Patriots offense scored more points and was more efficient when they utilized the run game in the post season....and the post season is all that is important to an organization that wins more then any team in NFL history........thanks to Bill Belichick btw! Utilize the run game, help Tom Brady and help the defense. Be more difficult to defend. Win more SB's!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

maybe some better questions are - what role does a running game play into the Patriots offense? How can the running game be used to make the passing game more effective?

Let's take an extreme example. If the running game is completely eliminated, would that be a good thing? Let's go the other way. If the passing game is completely eliminated, would that be a good thing?

In both cases, I would venture a guess to say that the end result would be bad.

There's no question that the Patriots are a pass first team (as is much of the rest of the league). Without a running game, how does one run play action. You can't.

If a team starts getting to the QB AND can cover - how do you get around that? A decent running game.

any wayz...my 2 cents.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

if you cant run "when you have to" you have a serious weakness.
    as the pat teams of late have demonstrated.

run game is overrated as somethign to base offense on, yeah i can see that

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated?:
    As mentioned above, it is not about having an Adrian Peterson. It is about having a semblance of balance to your offense. To be unpredictable is to prevent opposing defense's from cheating toward one side or the other. In this respect nothing has changed. This Patriots offense scored more points and was more efficient when they utilized the run game in the post season....and the post season is all that is important to an organization that wins more then any team in NFL history........thanks to Bill Belichick btw! Utilize the run game, help Tom Brady and help the defense. Be more difficult to defend. Win more SB's!
    Posted by TrueChamp

I sure hope BB is listening to you.  Because I think he is all for winning more SBs. He probably hasn't heard of that balance thing before. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

When you have the best QB in the universe, a good running game is second fiddle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Posted by TrueChamp

It's important to note that their defense was much better in those championship years, than it is now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? :      It's important to note that their defense was much better in those championship years, than it is now.
    Posted by TexasPat

You're wasting your breath. He's been told that over and over.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Good running game obviously helps. My only point is that having a great feature back can create the illusion that you have a good offense; if you have a great QB (like Brady) it is no illusion.....you have a great offense with a great QB. I realise that sounds obvious but the top RBs (Foster, Peterson, Rice Jones-Drew) have not won much of anything and teams with good QB play (include Eli) always have a better shot at the SB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

A good running game is always nice to have, but in today's NFL there are a lot of teams that score a lot of points, so you better either have a great defense or be able to score at the same pace as the best offenses.  Scoring 4, 5, or 6 times a game requires some judicious use of the run to keep defenses off balance, but it probably means you have to rely on the passing game for much of your yardage. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Facts show that of the last half dozen SB winners, none averaged even 2 runs a game more than the Pats did last season. Obviously the frequency of running during the season has little to do with getting to or winning the SB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Good running game obviously helps. My only point is that having a great feature back can create the illusion that you have a good offense; if you have a great QB (like Brady) it is no illusion.....you have a great offense with a great QB. I realise that sounds obvious but the top RBs (Foster, Peterson, Rice Jones-Drew) have not won much of anything and teams with good QB play (include Eli) always have a better shot at the SB.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

i said this 20 times last season along with needing the outside wr.
    there will be too many threats to attempt to cover, leaving at least a couple of things to exploit.

i dont remember anyone acknowledging they got what i was talking about

many argued the points

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

its not run attempts that are as important in this league.
    its being able to run wehn you have to and having something teams have to at least be prepared for.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to "Re: Good Running Game Overrated?":
    In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? :      It's important to note that their defense was much better in those championship years, than it is now. Posted by TexasPat
    A powerful running attack helps your defense as well as your offense, maybe more. It extends drives, converts first downs, allows your defense to sit and watch the offense wear down the opposing defense. Running keeps a defense honest, allows O linemen to attack forward instead of falling back on their heels in pass protection. None of this is up for debate, long before President Teddy Roosevelt intervened to make the forward pass legal, the run game was football. The run game sets the table for the pass, this is football 101. The game may have changed in the regular season but it hasn't changed the playoffs. There are two options on offense outside of punting, running and passing. Take away either and you're at a disadvantage. The Broncos ran but couldn't pass. The Pat's stopped running when the going got tough, the Giants stuck with it even though they were having a harder time against the Pat's stout run D, but they stuck to their game plan and had time on their side, one great benefit of the Ernhardt-Perkins offensive system, you outlast the opposing team, control the clock, you don't beat them, just out last them.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I think of 2 teams Marino and the Dolphins, and Fouts and the Chargers, Didn't work well for them, without the running game. They were Pass Happy Offenses. Even Bill Walsh said you needed a Running game, I think he was a little more of an expert.
    Posted by bobbysu

Agreed, the ironic part about Marino is that Shula's undefeated 72' team had not one but two thousand yard rusher's, he got all his rings with a great run game, solid defense and solid but unspectacular QB play. By the time Marino came along Don was too old to fight him day in and day out.

We had our own Marino clone in Bledsoe, Parcell's fought him constantly to run the plays he called instead of calling an audible to a pass on every down, it was well documented in the daily papers, Drew never really got it. 

When Brady finally came along, just having somebody who did what he was told and could execute a game plan was better than an all world arm. The rest of the team was ready to win, they were just waiting for the right leader who could sacrifice personal glory for the sake of the team.

It's a luxury to have somebody who can pass 45 times to get you a come from behind win, it's a weakness when you rely on it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? : Agreed, the ironic part about Marino is that Shula's undefeated 72' team had not one but two thousand yard rusher's, he got all his rings with a great run game, solid defense and solid but unspectacular QB play. By the time Marino came along Don was too old to fight him day in and day out. We had our own Marino clone in Bledsoe, Parcell's fought him constantly to run the plays he called instead of calling an audible to a pass on every down, it was well documented in the daily papers, Drew never really got it.  When Brady finally came along, just having somebody who did what he was told and could execute a game plan was better than an all world arm. The rest of the team was ready to win, they were just waiting for the right leader who could sacrifice personal glory for the sake of the team. It's a luxury to have somebody who can pass 45 times to get you a come from behind win, it's a weakness when you rely on it.
    Posted by wozzy

very very nice posts wozzy.
    thanks for the contributions!

Sections
Shortcuts