Good Running Game Overrated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Good Running Game Overrated?

September 11th loss to the Buffalo Bills after squandering a 21 point lead by refusing to run the ball:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2011/9/25/2448730/patriots-beat-themselves-in-34-31-loss-to-bills

The following game against the Raider's where all anyone in the NE locker room could talk about leading up to the game and afterward was balance.

Really good quote from the Huffington post:

"We had a good day running the ball so that always helps balance things up," New England coach Bill Belichick said. "We always want to have balance and we were able to have it today. We blocked well, we ran well."

I'm sure Belichick has let downs from his coordinators just like any other boss has from his employees, all he can hope is that they improve or better yet get hired away by Penn State so a better coordinator who already learned this lesson the hard way in the 2007 Super Bowl can come back to redeem himself.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Love how guys with an agenda try and dumb down this debate. Is baby trying to argue that we are a good running team? Or that we have a good run to pass ratio? or even that our offense is diverse? We all know the answers to these questions.

I just heard our good friend Matt Light and Willie Mcginest talk on the NFL ntk today about how Tom Brady is still the most clutch QB in the game. The turncoat Heath Evans(lol) reluctantly picked Eli. I happen to agree that Brady is the guy who anyone should want for 1 game, but with that said...why can our offense not score more then 15.5 ppg in 2 SB's? Why do they struggle against the Chargers in the afc championship in 07, the Ravens in 09, the Jets in 2010, the Ravens in the afc game, and again against the Giants in last years SB?

Yes playoff defense's are better and our defense is a not as good as it was before the league rule changes and the rebuild happened, but our offense performed better with less talent on a regular basis when we were unpredictable. When we handed Antwoin Smith the ball 28 times for a measly 86 yards and scored 32 points against the Panthers. When we regularly checked down to RB's and FB's and 3rd or 4rth string TE's. We now look down field more then ever and use these options including a run game as an after thought.

This style of offense is not conducive to winning the battle at the L.O.S, the battle for field position, or the T.O.P. In short it is not conducive to winning playoff football games. I know baby will revert back to his only line of defense...."you think you know more then BB blah blah" but those of us that live in the real world realize that one man cannot coach an entire team, and when that man loses his in house guys to other teams on a regular basis it hurts the team. No way around it, and our staff has been pillaged.

I love the fact that McD is back and really hope we see some creativity with the offense for a change. Doesn't mean run the ball more then pass, it means play to the opponents weakness, and mix things up. Open up PA and passing lanes and help keep Brady on his feet.....after all he is 35 and just broke his own record for att's.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated?:
    [QUOTE]"We had a good day running the ball so that always helps balance things up," New England coach Bill Belichick said. "We always want to have balance and we were able to have it today. We blocked well, we ran well."
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Apparently you have a hard time with the language wozzydoo.

BB is saying, if running the ball is effective they do it more.

They were getting over 6 yards a carry against the Raiders.

Let BB coach the team lamebrain. He's better at it than you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I know baby will revert back to his only line of defense...."you think you know more then BB blah blah" those of us that live in the real world realize that one man cannot coach an entire team, and when that man loses his in house guys to other teams on a regular basis it hurts the team.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

My only line of defense is that BB actually runs the team? You're comical.

You're trying to tell us BB can't tell his staff, "We don't have enough balance. Run more".

Poor BB stands by helplessly and watches his hirelings ignore his wishes game after game after game as they refuse to run more. LMAO@U!

Why you haven't been laughed out of town is the only question.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? : My only line of defense is that BB actually runs the team. That's comical. You're trying to tell us BB can't tell his staff, "We don't have enough balance. Run more". Poor BB stands by helplessly and watches his hirelings ignore his wishes game after game after game as they refuse to run more. LMAO@U! Why you haven't been laughed out of town is the only question.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Yeah baby, because a real fan like you would never question a mind like BB and his ability to run a "team"....but of course you could just flip flop once your agenda driven theories were exposed.....again.

Btw, great job standing by your opinions baby.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? : Yeah baby, because a real fan like you would never question a mind like BB and his ability to run a "team"....but of course you could just flip flop once your agenda driven theories were exposed.....again. Btw, great job standing by your opinions baby.

Reevaluating and considering BB is better than the average GM is flip-flopping in that micro-brain of yours?

You second guessing BB on coaching is even more foolish than Rusty telling a mod how to run the board.

Squirm worm. Try to squirm your way out of being a fool who thinks he knows how to coach better than BB.

You truly are a chump, TrueChump.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The only squirming we see on this board is you baby. The blowhard who for 2 years has told us all how BB shouldn't be "allowed to buy the groceries" and constantly bad mouthed the best GM of the cap era and most likely the best GM in NFL history when its all said and done.... all to suddenly come out of "retirement" and claim that BB is exceptional at drafting, which is a far cry from your old Jets fan view point.

Here I will throw out some internet message board insults so I can be at your level.

You are either a Jets fan who has devoted his life to infiltrating Patriots message boards in hopes to break the will of strong minded hardcore Pats fans, or just some psycho with no lead left in the pencil and nothing to do with his life but express his anger on a chat forum. An internet hero in your own mind, a weakling who constantly comes on this board to stir the pot. A poor excuse for a human being. This world would truly be better off without a Grommit like you using up perfectly good oxygen.

I don't wish harm on you but at the same time I hope your an organ donor, so that in the event of your untimely demise the few who knew you can look back on your life and say, "hey at least he contributed something". Until that day keep fighting the good fight, and tell us all how BB can't figure out how to build a team and that he is only lucky to have accidentally drafted Tom Brady, Oh wait, that's right you changed your mind.

Loser.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Put simply, yes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE] This world would truly be better off without a Grommit like you using up perfectly good oxygen. I don't wish harm on you but at the same time I hope your an organ donor, so that in the event of your untimely demise the few who knew you can look back on your life and say, "hey at least he contributed something".

Thanks for showing all you are not only as stupid as a bag of rocks, but a petty vindictive miscreant getting all nasty over someone exposing your phony spin on a message board. Pathetic.

I don't get angry at your cluelessness. I laugh at it.

Now tell us all again where BB is going wrong and how he should coach the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]The only squirming we see on this board is you baby. The blowhard who for 2 years has told us all how BB shouldn't be "allowed to buy the groceries" and constantly bad mouthed the best GM of the cap era and most likely the best GM in NFL history when its all said and done....

Get it right dufus. I just said BB was an average GM and could do better. Funny how you constantly bring that up in any thread no matter what it's about. That's because you have nothing else to defend your stupidity that you think you know how to coach better than BB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? : Get it right dufus. I just said BB was an average GM and could do better. Your the one who CONSTANTLY complains about how he runs the team. But you always bring up the GM thing every post because you have nothing else to defend your delusion that you have a brain.

Whether or not I have a brain is less debatable then you saying "BB shouldn't be allowed to buy the groceries". Wanting more versatility on the offense has little to do with BB as he is busy managing an entire franchise as opposed to just being a head coach, or an offensive coordinator in that regard. Perhaps one day you will learn that....but I doubt it.

Hey listen I was just kidding about all the insults. I'm sure your an outstanding member of society and I love ya baby!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

A coach almost always has to tailor his offense based on the personel he has. If Tavaris Jackson is your QB then you have to use AP 25+ times a game because TJ kinda s--ks. Again the Pats offense just has to run effectively enough to not have Brady throwing into 5-6 DB coverage. Brady and the receivers (includes TEs) are the catalysts for this offense and obviously the area where the most talent resides (in contrast to RBs). Any team has to best utilize the talent they have. I agree that being able to pound the ball and kill the clock would be great, but you have to the RB(s) that can do it. Personally I feel the the ideal RB would be player like Roger Craig; you can run draws, set up play action, use him as a vertical passing threat etc....but finding a back that good is not easy.

A greater concern is the Pats winning a field position/running team with great D. This is why Pittsburgh and Baltimore have been difficult match-ups for the Pats. They play great D (low score), can run the ball and kill the clock and keep the Pats D on the field (long enough to be tired by the 4th).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE] Wanting more versatility on the offense has little to do with BB as he is busy managing an entire franchise as opposed to just being a head coach, or an offensive coordinator in that regard. Perhaps one day you will learn that....but I doubt it.

Hey listen I was just kidding about all the insults. I'm sure your an outstanding member of society and I love ya baby!

C'mon. Stop with the lame "BB's too busy to tell his guys to run more". Nobody is dumb enough to buy that BS. Well, maybe you and wozzydoo are.

I'm glad you were just kidding about rather having me dead. That being true would make you despicable. You certainly are dumb as a stump and devious, but I didn't think you were evil.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? : Apparently you have a hard time with the language wozzydoo. BB is saying, if running the ball is effective they do it more.

I'm sure that's what he meant when he said "we always try to be balanced." 

I mean, I'm sure you're right and he was just misquoted...

And I love how you ignore the juxtaposition of the previous game to the game in question.

What's it like being right even when you're wrong?

Try breathing through your nose instead of your mouth, you'll get more oxygen to the brain.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE] A greater concern is the Pats winning a field position/running team with great D. This is why Pittsburgh and Baltimore have been difficult match-ups for the Pats. They play great D (low score), can run the ball and kill the clock and keep the Pats D on the field (long enough to be tired by the 4th).
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

This is what I have said about the SB. The Giants took the Steelers blueprint and applied it well enough.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]A coach almost always has to tailor his offense based on the personel he has. If Tavaris Jackson is your QB then you have to use AP 25+ times a game because TJ kinda s--ks. Again the Pats offense just has to run effectively enough to not have Brady throwing into 5-6 DB coverage. Brady and the receivers (includes TEs) are the catalysts for this offense and obviously the area where the most talent resides (in contrast to RBs). Any team has to best utilize the talent they have. I agree that being able to pound the ball and kill the clock would be great, but you have to the RB(s) that can do it. Personally I feel the the ideal RB would be player like Roger Craig; you can run draws, set up play action, use him as a vertical passing threat etc....but finding a back that good is not easy. A greater concern is the Pats winning a field position/running team with great D. This is why Pittsburgh and Baltimore have been difficult match-ups for the Pats. They play great D (low score), can run the ball and kill the clock and keep the Pats D on the field (long enough to be tired by the 4th).

Great post Hannah and I agree. I use Roger Craig as my example on how Montana had something Brady never had, a RB that could rush for a 1,000 and catch for a 1,000. Yet I think BJGE was good enough in 2010 to go for 1,000 at 4.4 ypc and 13 tds and he was good enough to average 4.5 ypc in the post season games against the Ravens and the Giants this year, so he should have been good enough to handle a load and keep the defense guessing. Unfortunately we only ran him 10 and 12 carries in a game where field position and T.O.P was basically the determining factor.

use Antowain Smith as an example of a back that kept defense's guessing because he only averaged around 3.7 ypc with us yet helped the diversity of the offense. Now he had a prime kevin Faulk to help him and we have the poor mans Faulk in Woody so I give you that.

Over all I hope the youngsters can help because with Brady at 35 years old we need alternatives on offense. I don't want to see Brady throw 600 attempts again only to be stuffed in the post season. It hurts to watch, and it hurts him physically with the monster hits he takes on his 7 step drops.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

If Welker catches the freaking ball we are Super Bowl Champions and that's with the 2nd worst RB in NFL history who comes in just slightly behind Maroney.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? : Get it right dufus. I just said BB was an average GM and could do better. Funny how you constantly bring that up in any thread no matter what it's about. That's because you have nothing else to defend your stupidity that you think you know how to coach better than BB.  

Funny how you always try and tell me what I think. Then again, if you didn't say that what defense would you have???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? : I'm sure that's what he meant when he said "we always try to be balanced."  I mean, I'm sure you're right and he was just misquoted... And I love how you ignore the juxtaposition of the previous game to the game in question. What's it like being right even when you're wrong? Try breathing through your nose instead of your mouth, you'll get more oxygen to the brain.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I'll go slow just for you wozzydoo.

"We had a good day running the ball so that always helps balance things up,"

See how BB is saying when you run the ball good you can help balance things. The converse is when you run the ball bad it doesn't help balances things. Get it Einstein?

"We always want to have balance and we were able to have it today. We blocked well, we ran well."

So because they ran well that day they were able to balance things.

Come to me any time you need help understanding english wozzydoo. That's what I'm here for.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? : Funny how you always try and tell me what I think. Then again, if you didn't say that what defense would you have???

Sorry TrueChump, but when you incessantly SAY BB isn't running enough then it's pretty obvious that you THINK he's not running enough.

I don't need the fact you think you know better what is good for the team than BB to refute you. I have already shown with fact the team runs as much as the average NFL team. So your constant griping about us not running enough is the delusion of an imbecile.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? : Great post Hannah and I agree. I use Roger Craig as my example on how Montana had something Brady never had, a RB that could rush for a 1,000 and catch for a 1,000. Yet I think BJGE was good enough in 2010 to go for 1,000 at 4.4 ypc and 13 tds and he was good enough to average 4.5 ypc in the post season games against the Ravens and the Giants this year, so he should have been good enough to handle a load and keep the defense guessing. Unfortunately we only ran him 10 and 12 carries in a game where field position and T.O.P was basically the determining factor. use Antowain Smith as an example of a back that kept defense's guessing because he only averaged around 3.7 ypc with us yet helped the diversity of the offense. Now he had a prime kevin Faulk to help him and we have the poor mans Faulk in Woody so I give you that. Over all I hope the youngsters can help because with Brady at 35 years old we need alternatives on offense. I don't want to see Brady throw 600 attempts again only to be stuffed in the post season. It hurts to watch, and it hurts him physically with the monster hits he takes on his 7 step drops.

he was good enough to average 4.5 ypc in the post season games against the Ravens and the Giants this year, so he should have been good enough to handle a load and keep the defense guessing. Unfortunately we only ran him 10 and 12 carries in a game where field position and T.O.P was basically the determining factor. 

i dotn think bjge made teams respect the run. they could always cheat toward the pass becasue benny was not going ot break a 20 or 30 yerd run.

Over all I hope the youngsters can help because with Brady at 35 years old we need alternatives on offense. I don't want to see Brady throw 600 attempts again only to be stuffed in the post season. It hurts to watch, and it hurts him physically with the monster hits he takes on his 7 step drops. 

agreed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]A coach almost always has to tailor his offense based on the personel he has. If Tavaris Jackson is your QB then you have to use AP 25+ times a game because TJ kinda s--ks. Again the Pats offense just has to run effectively enough to not have Brady throwing into 5-6 DB coverage. Brady and the receivers (includes TEs) are the catalysts for this offense and obviously the area where the most talent resides (in contrast to RBs). Any team has to best utilize the talent they have. I agree that being able to pound the ball and kill the clock would be great, but you have to the RB(s) that can do it. Personally I feel the the ideal RB would be player like Roger Craig; you can run draws, set up play action, use him as a vertical passing threat etc....but finding a back that good is not easy. A greater concern is the Pats winning a field position/running team with great D. This is why Pittsburgh and Baltimore have been difficult match-ups for the Pats. They play great D (low score), can run the ball and kill the clock and keep the Pats D on the field (long enough to be tired by the 4th).

I tend to disagree. The Pats have pretty much owned the Ravens and Steelers over the past decade. The reason why the games have been close of late is largely due to the weakness of the Pats' pass defense. Last year, the young Steeler WRs and TE killed the Pats, by using a 'Patriots' style" passing attack against the undermanned and overwhelmed Pats' secondary. Running really played no part. 

Ditto the Ravens in the Pats' playoff win. The secondary allowed the mediocre Joe Flacco to shread them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

• In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated?:
      [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good Running Game Overrated? : I'll go slow just for you wozzydoo. "We had a good day running the ball so that always helps balance things up," See how BB is saying when you run the ball good you can help balance things. The converse is when you run the ball bad it doesn't help balances things. Get it Einstein? "We always want to have balance and we were able to have it today. We blocked well, we ran well." So because they ran well that day they were able to balance things. Come to me any time you need help understanding english wozzydoo. That's what I'm here for.

Only someone belligerently stupid or stubborn would come to that conclusion, but you're right, that's exactly what you're here for. 

Again, I guess that's what he meant when he said "we always try to be balanced."

It's a good thing you're here to translate BB's innermost thoughts or he would be continually misquoted.