Good Summary/Offseason Moves

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Good Summary/Offseason Moves

A C+ is a bull grade. That's means like average. 

This guy obviously thinks the losses of Spikes and Blount are huge which doesn't make sense. Ridley is a great back who gave us 1200 in '12. Jamie Collins is ready to make a jump I believe but if not we have signed a very solid vet in Anderson. But anyway, Hightower will be the one replacing Spikes. 

The Patriots did not lose anything. They replaced a injury prone Talib who missed the biggest game of the last two seasons with a Top CB in Revis. 

Also, getting BBrowner is a huge addition not even replacing a loss. He is just icing on the cake. A big azz tough CB who will be able to push into and play TE's. 

then the Pats also got LaFell who as a 3rd option in a very conservative offense was pretty good. I love this signing and think he will be big for the Patriots this season.

onto of all of that, the draft was great in filling needs. Dominque Easley brings a different kind of presence to the interior D that we haven't seen before as he's a penetrator. James White was a very productive back in college and could be a nice like producer for us. Then add to that all of the OL depth acquired. All of them big bodied guys showing a change in philosophy which could mean big things for Ridley down the road. 

Onto top of all of this, this team's core is still insanely young. DMC, Jones, Collins, Hightower, Dennard, all the WRs, Gronk and the Rbs. All just entering their prime or not even hit it. 

Then we also will be getting back Stud Mayo, Kelly, Wilfork, Gronk, Vollmer. 

Add to that we know the WRs will all be better with another year under the belt with Nrady. 

Theres no way you give this offseason less than an A- but I give it an A. The additions far outweigh losses. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

A C+ is a bull grade. That's means like average. 

This guy obviously thinks the losses of Spikes and Blount are huge which doesn't make sense. Ridley is a great back who gave us 1200 in '12. Jamie Collins is ready to make a jump I believe but if not we have signed a very solid vet in Anderson. But anyway, Hightower will be the one replacing Spikes. 

The Patriots did not lose anything. They replaced a injury prone Talib who missed the biggest game of the last two seasons with a Top CB in Revis. 

Also, getting BBrowner is a huge addition not even replacing a loss. He is just icing on the cake. A big azz tough CB who will be able to push into and play TE's. 

then the Pats also got LaFell who as a 3rd option in a very conservative offense was pretty good. I love this signing and think he will be big for the Patriots this season.

onto of all of that, the draft was great in filling needs. Dominque Easley brings a different kind of presence to the interior D that we haven't seen before as he's a penetrator. James White was a very productive back in college and could be a nice like producer for us. Then add to that all of the OL depth acquired. All of them big bodied guys showing a change in philosophy which could mean big things for Ridley down the road. 

Onto top of all of this, this team's core is still insanely young. DMC, Jones, Collins, Hightower, Dennard, all the WRs, Gronk and the Rbs. All just entering their prime or not even hit it. 

Then we also will be getting back Stud Mayo, Kelly, Wilfork, Gronk, Vollmer. 

Add to that we know the WRs will all be better with another year under the belt with Nrady. 

Theres no way you give this offseason less than an A- but I give it an A. The additions far outweigh losses. 

I think most are over estimating Lafell. Let's get thru camp and answer the following questions;

-how many OL are kept?

-how much have Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins progressed? 

-2 or 3 TE's kept?

-seems a lock that 3 QB's are kept

depending on the answers to the above, Lafell could be cut....lot of money to give a guy that is not a roster spot, but I could very easily see Dobson and Boyce ahead of him and do think it will come down to Lafell or Thompkins and the available roster spots

that being said, I think most are underestimating Anderson. I think he contributes a lot

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

that being said, I think most are underestimating Anderson. I think he contributes a lot

I think many are anointing Collins the starter a bit too early as well.  Don't get me wrong--I'm very high on Collins and hope he will be the starter, but I also realize he only started a few games last season and we haven't seen him play the position on a regular basis, game in and game out.  

Anderson has extensive experience as a starter.  My gut tells me he and Collins will be sharing snaps for a while and either one could end up being the main guy by season's end.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Rkarp, what have you seen or heard that makes you think LaFell is a bubble guy? I personally haven't read anything on his progression in OTAs, maybe I'm missing something. 

I think LaFell is a lock to make this roster because of his ability to block and the money we gave him. 

I think that LaFell and Thompkins could both make the roster. 

Dobson, Edelman, Amendola, Boyce, Thompkins and LaFell would be my WRs making it. And Slater but he's a ST. 

I just don't see how LaFell could be cut is all. I think he can add alot to this team.. 

But I do agree that Anderson will play a big role. He was Chicago's best Lb last season and is huge because now Collins doesn't have to be thrust into a starting role so soon. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

At the end of the season and into the playoffs Collins was at times the best player on the field.  

After a full rookie season and hopefully a full off-season this kid should be on the field as much as possible.  He's going to be a nightmare for opposing offenses.  I envision him being all over the place and a major pain in the azz to the other team.   You don't want a guy like that sitting on the bench.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Rkarp, what have you seen or heard that makes you think LaFell is a bubble guy? I personally haven't read anything on his progression in OTAs, maybe I'm missing something. 

I think LaFell is a lock to make this roster because of his ability to block and the money we gave him. 

Dobson, Edelman, Amendola, Boyce, Thompkins and LaFell would be my WRs making it. And Slater but he's a ST. 

I just don't see how LaFell could be cut is all. I think he can add alot to this team.. 

But I do agree that Anderson will play a big role. He was Chicago's best Lb last season and is huge because now Collins doesn't have to be thrust into a starting role so soon. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

At the end of the season and into the playoffs Collins was at times the best player on the field.  

After a full rookie season and hopefully a full off-season this kid should be on the field as much as possible.  He's going to be a nightmare for opposing offenses.  I envision him being all over the place and a major pain in the azz to the other team.   You don't want a guy like that sitting on the bench.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yes, Collins played out of his mind when he started figuring out the defense. If Mayo, Hightower,  Collins and Anderson all stay healthy I would think we are looking at a dominating group. I hope to see a lot of pressure from the Lbers, something we haven't seen much since Bruschi and Vrabel left.

As far as the offseason grades go, well I don't see how it's anything less then an A. Shoot just a return to health of Gronk, VW, Kelly, Volmer, and Mayo would be an A! Talib, Browner, Lafelle, Will Smith and signing Edelman is a huge bonus to an already rich in talent roster! 

Going to be another great team this year! How lucky we are!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

If they carry 5 backs (Devlin, Vereen, Ridley, White, either Houston or Bolden), 3 QB's, and 9-10 OL then they have to make a cut somewhere. Carrying 7 WR's might be too rich for roster spots.

Boyce, Dobson, Amendola, Slater, and Edelman are almost sure to make it. That leaves Gallon, Thompkins, and LaFell. LaFell isn't something esp great. He's  #3/4 at best and this team is loaded with those types right now. Unless he gets an instant connection with Brady I could easily envision Thompkins or Gallon (kick returns or fear he wouldn't make it to PS) beating him out. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Let's take this piece by piece.  

QB - set

RB - Although the loss of Blount kinda hurt White fills the void.  Ridley is in a contract year and will have to show he can hold on to the ball whether he signs with the Pats or goes elsewhere.

TE - Came a little empty here.  Williams intrigues.  But little was done to fill such a key spot.  Thumbs down.

OL - The Pats went out and got some OL in the draft.  Vollmer comes back.  I don't see how this isn't an improvement.

WR - Sophomore year will say it all.  All three WRs from last year got playing time which was great.  Why some think LaFell is on the bubble is a mystery to me.  Should be seen as an improvement by just experienced gained.

DT - Wilfork and Kelly are back.  Jones showed us something last year and picked up Easley.  Not a bad rotation.

DE - Picking up Smith is huge.  

LB - Very good LB corp

CB - Revis.  Enough said.  Dennard and Ryan.  Revis makes this a very good backfield.

S - My thinking has been Browner playing beside McCourty.  Has Chung learned anything?  Obviously brought in bodies to compete.  Should improve by the shear numbers competing for that one spot.

Of course this depends upon staying healthy during the season but the Pats did improve at every spot but TE.  They have some very nice rotations in place.  C+ is garbage.  I expect Talib and Ware to be on the IR like they usually are at the end of the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I would think two things are certain...one, that Collins will be a starter (and be one of the best players on the team...and two, that Lafell will be given every opportunity to succeed here (weather he does or not I don't know, but I think he will get plenty of chances).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I would have to think Collins would start as well.  He brings that something to the table that the Pats just don't have.  He can cover and blitz.  He's the wildcard on the defense as I see it.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

For starters, who gives a rodent's rectum what any media D_Bag thinks?

Secondly, the Pats had a very good team at season's end last year and improved it this year in free agency, return of injured key players and the draft.  The maturation of the WR corps should also help.  How much improved will be demonstrated on the field.

As an aside, I have been and remain skeptical of the notion that Browner will play much safety.  In certain sets he may but he is a CB who covers bigger receivers and TEs and that's where he will take the overwhelming majority of snaps IMO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think c+ is a low grade simply because of Revis...this guy is a remarkable player...whereas Talib was a guy who you knew was going to get hurt. How was it watching that Carolina game last year when he got roasted by Smith and acted like a fool throughout that game? I didn't like having to hear Smith say "ice up" when referring to Talib after that game...I didn't like seeing a garden gnome (Welker) be able to easily take him out of the biggest game of the year either. Never mind what happened to him the previous year. It seems as if Talob is able to play great in September and October, before tweaking something and struggling the rest of the way...we can do without that crap.

I liked reading how the author feels about White, personally I'd love to see him be our every down back, but even Belichick said he saw him in more of a Vareen, third down type roll. Too me the kid looks like he can do more than that, and with the way Ridley fumbles...I hope so.

The real key is our injured players (especially Gronk) and development of our young receivers, if everything works out in that department we will be winning the Super Bowl this season. No doubt in my mind.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

S - My thinking has been Browner playing beside McCourty.  Has Chung learned anything?  Obviously brought in bodies to compete.  Should improve by the shear numbers competing for that one spot.

A lot of posters seem to think Browner will compete for the SS job.  This ignores a couple of factors:

1. I can't think of a single cornerback who has transitioned to strong safety successfully.  Ever.  Many have made the switch to free safety (Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson most famously, McCourty and Jairus Byrd most recently), but strong safety is an entirely different animal.

2. Playing Browner at safety takes away his number 1 attribute as a corner: namely, jamming receivers at the line so they can't get a clean break.

Right now I think Browner is in a competition with Dennard for the second cornerback job; Harmon has the inside track at strong safety.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

A lot of posters seem to think Browner will compete for the SS job.  This ignores a couple of factors:

1. I can't think of a single cornerback who has transitioned to strong safety successfully.  Ever.  Many have made the switch to free safety (Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson most famously, McCourty and Jairus Byrd most recently), but strong safety is an entirely different animal.

2. Playing Browner at safety takes away his number 1 attribute as a corner: namely, jamming receivers at the line so they can't get a clean break.

Right now I think Browner is in a competition with Dennard for the second cornerback job; Harmon has the inside track at strong safety.

I agree with what you're saying regarding  Browner moving to SS, but I have to think someone has made that transition successfully.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

My stated view, since the subject was first raised in this forum, is that Browner is and will remain a corner.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The grade by reporters means nothing.  As a fan of the Pats, and a proponent of them building the defense...I'm ecstatic. Denver too has improved it's defense.  The Pats already started with a better base, and in my opinion has built their defense in a more beneficial way. Good thing because we know Denver has a better offense.  It's cliche, but what wins?  O or D? 

The Pats have said Browner is a CB 'nuff said.  They will rely on the CB's and DL, which also is much improved.

The strong CB's and DL are what SB champs Seattle relied on. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

But, the grade makes no sense as a "C+".  Very strange.

I can see Denver getting some ink for Talib, Ware, Ward and Sanders, but their losses are so vast, it would need to even out a bit and be no better than a B grade.  In other words, it's a good thing Denver added what they did because they needed it badly, due to so many key players leaving.  They have far more question marks than we do, mainly continuity and interior O Line quality with Beadles gone, along with RB depth and consistency.

Lastly, Talib has some injury concerns and Ware may not be a 3 down player anymore with his elbow problem in Dallas and aging frame at age 32.

Ours is easily a B grade for Revis, Browner, Smith, LaFell and Anderson.  All vets in their primes with varying degrees of expected impact.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/19/new-england-patriots-offseason-report-card" rel="nofollow">http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/19/new-england-patriots-offseason-report-card" rel="nofollow">http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/19/new-england-patriots-offseason-report-card" rel="nofollow">http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/19/new-england-patriots-offseason-report-card" rel="nofollow">http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/19/new-england-patriots-offseason-report-card

BY CHRIS BURKE
    Twitter Email
    Posted: Thu Jun. 19, 2014Updated: Tue Jun. 24, 2014
    With the flurry of NFL offseason action nearly in the books, Chris Burke and Doug Farrar take stock of every team’s offseason. Find all our Offseason Report Cards here.

According to Vegas, common sense and recent history, the New England Patriots are the second-best team in the AFC. Have they done enough since last season’s title-game loss to Denver, their second straight stumble one step shy of the Super Bowl, to get over the top in 2014?

On the surface, it is a little hard to say yes.

Where they could improve most is in the secondary, thanks to the arrivals of Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner. (Browner will miss the first four games of 2014 on suspension.) Revis directly replaces Aqib Talib, now a member of those pesky Broncos, while Browner will join a mix that already includes Kyle Arrington and Alfonzo Dennard.

Beyond those additions and merely getting folks healthy again, the 2014 Patriots will resemble very closely the 2013 Patriots. Also leaving with Talib were RB LeGarrette Blount, LB Brandon Spikes and a gaggle of bit players like Andre Carter. Steve Gregory, an 11-game starter at safety, was not re-signed and has yet to find work elsewhere.

MORE COVERAGE: Buy/Sell win projections| Power Rankings | 2015 Mock Draft

The Patriots will drop in rookie RB James White for Blount on the depth chart, though the two are very different athletes. Bill Belichick and Co. will rely on in-house options elsewhere, including to replace Spikes at linebacker and Gregory at safety. Veteran DE/LB Will Smith was perhaps the most significant free-agent pickup outside of Revis and Browner, despite having missed all of 2013 with an injury.

Will any of the Patriots’ draft picks outside of White see significant playing time? The best bet is DT Dominique Easley, an oftentimes dominant interior presence for Florida. That is, before he tore his ACL last season. His recovery will be something to monitor as the regular season approaches. All of New England’s other selections will be penciled in as backups.

OT Sebastian Vollmer, RB Shane Vereen and WR Danny Amendola, among others, are back after sitting out several games each due to injury in 2013. Those re-additions alone should bolster the prohibitive AFC East favorites, and the expected top contender to Denver’s supremacy within the conference.

This again is a dangerous, talented team. But the Denver roadblock looms.

Grade: C+

Best acquisition: Darrelle Revis, CB.

Aqib Talib was excellent for the Patriots during his year-plus stint there, to the point of being borderline irreplaceable. Darrelle Revis, at full health, is better.

The man who built Revis Island sure looked sprightly again last season in Tampa Bay, after an ACL injury ended his 2012 campaign in its infancy. In fact, Revis graded out as the NFL’s top cornerback on Pro Football Focus for 2013, 57 spots ahead of Talib. Those rankings belie Talib’s impact on the Patriots defense, both when he was in and out of the lineup, but they also speak to Revis’ place among his CB peers.

“I did finish all 16 games. I was slow and maybe sluggish in the beginning of the season but week to week, I got stronger and stronger,” Revis said of his 2013 performance. “Toward the end, I probably felt my best as a football player. That’s a thing where it took some time and I thank [the] Tampa Bay Buccaneers for everything they did to help me with my rehab throughout the course of the year. It was a big process to get through that and fight through it but right now I feel great. I’m just ready to play ball.”

If the Patriots receive the expected steps forward from 2013 draft pick Logan Ryan and 2012 seventh-rounder Dennard, plus continued consistency from Kyle Arrington, they certainly could improve on last season’s finish as the 18th-ranked pass defense. Add in Browner, who should join the lineup once his four-game suspension lifts, and this may be the type of unit capable of matching up with Denver should that rivalry again decide the AFC.

All of those hopes start with Revis, who should remain motivated by his second consecutive contract season — the Patriots convinced him to sign a one-year, $12 million deal, meaning that he could head to free agency once 2014 wraps. Impending free agency and the desire to prove himself off that knee injury led to a vintage Revis effort with Tampa Bay. Expectations will be even higher for him in New England.

Biggest loss: Brandon Spikes, LB.

New England received a glimpse at their future — and a very promising one, mind you — when Spikes hit injured reserve prior to last season’s playoffs. Without him, the Patriots had to drop then-rookie Jamie Collins into the starting lineup. He responded with a thunderous performance in a divisional-round win over the Colts, as his team held Indianapolis to just 69 yards rushing, the lowest total it had allowed since a Week 4 win in Atlanta.

Collins’ flash will have to become a full-time experience now that Spikes will be patrolling the middle of Buffalo’s defense. The Southern Miss product may be capable of such an upswing, but replacing the Patriots’ best run defender will be no easy chore.

“With Jamie I feel like he’s blossomed a lot sooner than anybody,” LB Dont’a Hightower, the team’s leading tackler last season, said of Collins. “I feel like he was a lot more mature in his first year than some people are in their third year. You couldn’t tell that he wasn’t a third- or a fourth-year player.”

That maturity will be put to the test in Spikes’ absence. Spikes brought an outspoken confidence to the middle of New England’s defense, particularly on first and second downs when he did the majority of his work. Spikes missed just one game over the past two seasons (not counting his two playoff absences), plus played more than twice as many snaps as did Collins in 2013.

So while Collins was highly impressive in his own playing time, he does face the challenge of attaining consistency. Though Spikes was limited as a three-down player, he had that aspect down.

Underrated draft pick: James White, RB.

LeGarrette Blount is a newly-minted Pittsburgh Steeler, so Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley are the obvious candidates to duke it out for the No. 1 RB job. White may have something to say about all that.

Arguably one of the most underrated draft prospects, period, White totaled 15 touchdowns and more than 1,700 total yards from scrimmage last season at Wisconsin. He did so despite living in the shadow of potential future superstar Melvin Gordon, just as he had stayed tucked behind Montee Ball for the previous couple of seasons.

In White, though, the Patriots found themselves a back capable of playing on all three downs — he caught 39 passes out of the backfield in 2013. How well a running back blocks plays a critical role in Bill Belichick’s depth chart, and White stood his ground as a protector for the Badgers, despite his limited strength.

Vereen continues to work his way back from the wrist fracture that cost him half of the 2013 season and Ridley fumbled away some of his snaps. The door might be open for White to make his mark early.

Looming question for training camp: Are we still talking about the wide receivers?

Oh so much was made about New England’s shoddy receiver depth last year, the dip in Tom Brady’s passing numbers more or less directly attributed to the inexperienced, underwhelming talent around him. In 2014, the situation may not be all that different.

Rather than make any big splashes at WR, either via free agency or in the draft, the Patriots played it rather carefully. They added fifth-year wideout Brandon LaFell, who is coming off a career-high 49 catches with the Panthers; they used a Round 7 selection on Michigan’s Jeremy Gallon, a diminutive but rather polished option. Other than that, the names are the same: Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, Kenbrell Thompkins, Josh Boyce, Aaron Dobson and Matthew Slater.

Edelman was Brady’s go-to guy in 2013, hauling in a team-high 105 catches while topping 1,000 yards. The drop-off from there was precipitous — Amendola had 54 grabs in 12 games, Dobson and Thompkins finished with 69 catches combined.

A leap from either of those last two guys, both added prior to the 2013 season (Dobson as a second-round pick, Thompkins as an undrafted free agent) would shift some of the focus off Edelman … and quiet a lot of the critical chatter about Brady’s surrounding cast in the post-Aaron Hernandez era.

Nick Underhill, Patriots beat writer for MassLive.com, hyped the Thompkins bandwagon this week on Twitter: “I feel comfortable saying that Kenbrell Thompkins has been my MVP of the summer. A lot can change with pads, but he’s looked really good.”

A repeat performance from Edelman and, more importantly, keeping Rob Gronkowski and Danny Amendola on the field would make life a lot easier for Brady. Even if no one else emerges, that trio has shown itself to be fully capable of producing catches, yards and scores. Count anything additional from the remaining receivers as a bonus, albeit a needed one.

As usual your glasses are of the pink hue variety. Considering that 3 of the aforementioned players may not even break camp with the team I think its a wait and see game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Losses vs. their replacements. Spikes vs. Anderson and Hightower, win for the Patriots. Talib Vs. Revis, do I even need to grade this exchange? Patriots improve vastly. Blount Vs. White, Bolden or Houston, Blount had a very good season in NE, but Bolden had the same job the year before. push. A. Carter vs. Smith advantage Smith. Fletcher vs. Huff both are good b/u's but Huff is a S/T demon. Any body who loses their job because  of the FA signing of Browner advantage Patriots. Easley in replacement of of any of the guys who are cut clearly an upgrade for the Patriots. This offseason was definitely grades out a lot higher than a C-, my guess would be closer to an A- .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

A young team gains experience. They have lots of upside. If they realize it, good things will happen. Denver is good but they can be beat. Good health is always key.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Agreed, if he cant beat out Anderson....thats a bad thing...and Chicago had THEE worst run D last year in the league...so saying Anderson was their best aint saying much.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

A young team gains experience. They have lots of upside. If they realize it, good things will happen. Denver is good but they can be beat. Good health is always key.

Denver's d may be worse with such a lack of continuity.  If talib goes down, they are cooked.

I wouldnt bet you on this as you have welched on too many of our bets. But others have offered to bet you on this and you have hid in the corner and remained mute. 

Whats up with that? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Denver's d may be worse with such a lack of continuity.  If talib goes down, they are cooked.

You mean the same way we were cooked the last 2 years when he went out as a pat?  I think Denver is better prepared to take that loss with guys like Ware, Miller getting after the passer and a legit SS. They also have more continuity on O but I like our team. Just curious where you come up with these off the wall predictions and how you can laugh at something that has happened to us twice before its even happened once to the team in question?!?   you are one off the wall dude....

Sections
Shortcuts