Good Teams don't win Day 1 of FA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Good Teams don't win Day 1 of FA

Reminder to everyone overreacting about not making moves.

Bucs, Bills, Eagles, Redskins, Raiders are among teams to make a lot of moves only to come out as nonplayoff teams.

Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Colts are among the teams to be relatively quiet each and every year only to be playoff contenders almost every year.

Said it in another post: Fill the holes with FAs and find your stars through the draft

Other than a veteran FA S and WR (Because I don't trust them drafting those positions), I'm content with hopefully resigning our big FA's and doing some bargain hunting.

FA is all hype.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

Re: Good Teams don't win Day 1 of FA

low on draft picks this year.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:

low on draft picks this year.  

Yes. Im fine when the pats take it slow in FA when they have alot of picks in the draft to fill holes but when they dont have alot of picks and are still slow in FA then its just plain annoying.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

but good teams resign their top players and don't rely completely on the draft. We have more holes for starters then draft picks so while yes you don't win a SB with day 1 in FA the Pats have also proven you don't win the SB by waiting for the leftovers and filling the roster with mid teir players on the cheap since 06'

IMO you need both. Strong draft, resigning your proven players and adding talented starters to fill holes in FA while also building depth

I don't want them to go crazy (ala Bills Philly) but other successful teams add 1-2 good players to their roster as starters to supplement the draft. Why does it need to be black and white, why can't they do both?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

but good teams resign their top players and don't rely completely on the draft. We have more holes for starters then draft picks so while yes you don't win a SB with day 1 in FA the Pats have also proven you don't win the SB by waiting for the leftovers and filling the roster with mid teir players on the cheap since 06'

IMO you need both. Strong draft, resigning your proven players and adding talented starters to fill holes in FA while also building depth

I don't want them to go crazy (ala Bills Philly) but other successful teams add 1-2 good players to their roster as starters to supplement the draft. Why does it need to be black and white, why can't they do both?

1+

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Like an overheated housing market, just because the Pats want only realistic prices does not mean they will or can get players that they want at their prices, when other teams had driven up market prices for everyone else.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Patriots haven't lost any of their big FA's yet. Vollmer, Talib and Welker are still out there.

You can still get viable starters that aren't big contract FA guys.

I'd be content with Grimes, Reed, Wilson or players of those caliber. 

There's still plenty of good players left, even after the 35+ million contract guys are gone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

The thing that gets me is that we haven't re-signed anyone other than hoomanowhatshisface unless there is something that I missed. I was really hoping that we would at least see one of "the big three" signed.

But yeah, I hear you. Teams that sign free agents to monumental deals usually end up in a pickle down the road. It's best to build through the draft and the Pats really don't have that many needs compared to other teams. O-line, WR, CB, and D-line are our biggest needs without any of our own free agents re-signing. There are still plenty of decent free agents out there who can help the team. While we don't have a ton of draft picks this year, we have enough to grab players for the positions that we need most.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

The thing that gets me is that we haven't re-signed anyone other than hoomanowhatshisface unless there is something that I missed. I was really hoping that we would at least see one of "the big three" signed.

But yeah, I hear you. Teams that sign free agents to monumental deals usually end up in a pickle down the road. It's best to build through the draft and the Pats really don't have that many needs compared to other teams. O-line, WR, CB, and D-line are our biggest needs without any of our own free agents re-signing. There are still plenty of decent free agents out there who can help the team. While we don't have a ton of draft picks this year, we have enough to grab players for the positions that we need most.

We haven't resigned them yet...but they're not gone either.

I'm not worried about Talib yet...None of the big time corners have signed...

Welker, I'm starting to wonder about...I say fair chance he might actually be gone.

Vollmer...I don't know. But Levitre got a pretty good deal and he's just a guard. If someone views Vollmer as a LT, he might be priced at something we can't match

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts