Good win but...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Good win but...

Adding good new players just isn't going to happen at this point in the season, so we need to see how the current crop of players on the interior line develops.  I think it's too early to lose hope for these guys.  Sopoaga played his first game Sunday and he did some good things but also made some mistakes.  That's to be expected.  He's still learning the schemes and getting used to the guys next to him.  Vellano and Chris Jones are both rookies and learning the game.  Personally, I think Chris Jones is progressing every week and playing with more strength as the season wears on.  I did see him get pushed back once or twice Sunday, but I also saw him hold up pretty well against some double teams.  I do think this group will improve.  It will never be Wilfork and Kelly, but it will get better. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to neinmd's comment:

This is not something I want to be right about, TC. But our run defense looks like it's in trouble. We are now 30th in the league in rushing yards given up. It's our one glaring weakness and I don't know what we can do to shore it up unless AJ Francis or Armstead can plug the hole or if we can pick someone off the waiver wire. It's a shame because all other phases of our game are really coming along well - rushing offense, passing offense, passing defense (especially when Talib returns), special teams. But this year especially is a run-heavy year for the league.

They're middle of the pack (12th) in yards per carry so really I don't think the run defense is that bad.

Plus who is this great running team that they need to fear in the AFC? Answer, there isn't one. Indy is at 4.6 ypc, but who is it on that team that strikes fear? Richardson? He's a glorified Blount. Donald Brown? OK.

KC isn't bad at 4.2 ypc, but they're not a power running offense. All the best running teams are in the NFC, so we can worry about run defense if they make it to the SB.

In the AFC, Jets, Kansas City and Indy are the ones that can run on us. Knowshon Moreno is a good runner but Manning is going to run a pass-heavy offense, even if the run game is available so maybe we don't need to worry as much about them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I thought they looked effective in the limited reps with Sopoaga on the field. The big stop was him in large part. Plus that one tip. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

what the coaching staff is expecting from Soap on the stat sheet=zero tackles-zero sacks. But a successful game from Soap=double digit tackles from Hightower and Spikes...as long as Soap holds his position at the LOS and engages 1 and maybe even 2 blockers, he is doing his job. Let the LB's make tackles with out having to shed blockers. Keep the double teams off of Nink and Jones. That means Soap is doing a good job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I thought they looked effective in the limited reps with Sopoaga on the field. The big stop was him in large part. Plus that one tip. 

Agree ... That play he made on the ball showed athleticism.  Too bad he couldnt haul it in and rumble down the field ...a la Vince... lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

They're middle of the pack (12th) in yards per carry so really I don't think the run defense is that bad. 

Plus who is this great running team that they need to fear in the AFC? Answer, there isn't one. Indy is at 4.6 ypc, but who is it on that team that strikes fear? Richardson? He's a glorified Blount. Donald Brown? OK.

KC isn't bad at 4.2 ypc, but they're not a power running offense. All the best running teams are in the NFC, so we can worry about run defense if they make it to the SB.

In the AFC, Jets, Kansas City and Indy are the ones that can run on us. Knowshon Moreno is a good runner but Manning is going to run a pass-heavy offense, even if the run game is available so maybe we don't need to worry as much about them.

Well, we're done with the Jets and if by some miracle we see them in the playoffs, I don't see them pulling another game out of their as s like the last one. KC again is not a power running team, they run well because Charles is fast and elusive. They're pretty limited on offense and if the Pats play them, I'd be more concerned about scoring and avoiding turnovers on offense than about stopping their offense. It just isn't that good.

Indy is a passing team, that's where they win games. Richardson is a power back but he's a plodder. Three yards and a cloud of dust type. Denver is obviously a passing team. Moreno is a good back but does much of his damage out of the backfield in space, they're definitely not a power running team.

Seattle and SF are the best running teams that the Pats might have to play, and again let's worry about that in February. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am not sold on KC. I would like to see them play from behind, and see if Smith can bring his team back. I believe he cannot.

Its kind of funny, but if the season ends today, who are the top 3 coach of the year candidates? Reid, BB and Rex? Carroll?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I am not sold on KC. I would like to see them play from behind, and see if Smith can bring his team back. I believe he cannot.

Its kind of funny, but if the season ends today, who are the top 3 coach of the year candidates? Reid, BB and Rex? Carroll?

Reid in a runaway. Payton will get some consideration if they finish strong. But here's a dark horse for you, if they continue to win, Ron Rivera. They might have the best defense in the NFL and Newton seems like he's just starting to figure it out - he has to be the most physically gifted QB in the league, it's always been what's between the ears with him.

That's going to be a tough game down there.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Reid in a runaway. Payton will get some consideration if they finish strong. But here's a dark horse for you, if they continue to win, Ron Rivera. They might have the best defense in the NFL and Newton seems like he's just starting to figure it out - he has to be the most physically gifted QB in the league, it's always been what's between the ears with him.

That's going to be a tough game down there.

very good point. I agree the Panthers will be a very tough game. Not sure you recall, but the NFL preseason issue of ESPN "predicted" every game this year, and "predicted" a Panthers win...lest hope ESPN is wrong.

I actually have no problem looking at KC's remaining schedule and thinking 11-5

• You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

The run D is fine and was pretty good against the Steelers. Don't get bent out of shape because Dwyer broke a 30 yard run on his only rush attempt.

Take away that fluke play and the Steelers RBs were a combined 19 carries for 78 yards and no TDs. Not a big deal.

The reason for the 31 points allowed? Ridley's fumble.

That said, the lack of a 3rd down pass rush and the play of CBs not named Talib, give me pause.

• Sections
    Shortcuts