Goodell addressed protecting defenseless players against low hits.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Goodell addressed protecting defenseless players against low hits.

Goodell indicated the competition committee will look at possible rule changes, but those changes would not address hits like the one that shelved New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski on Sunday. Proposals are more likely to be centered on hits like the one that took out Miami Dolphins tight end Dustin Keller. Keller was hit while in the act of catching the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000296778/article/goodell-nfl-to-consider-centralizing-replay-reviews

How lame. They should not allow any hit to the knees unless you are in the act of tacking using your arms. Any hit to the knee with a helmet, launcing or shoulder pads should be a penalty and ejection from the game.

The league should be promoting tackling.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: Goodell addressed protecting defenseless players against low hits.

Silly me,I thought helmet spearing was already illegal

the nfl gets more screwed up more and more, their officiating is atrocious, their wanting 18 games, I wonder about European expansion due to travel.

they need new helmets , I cannot believer their is not something less dangerous

And I wonder about players who would think that helmet spearing is a good thing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

the nfl gets more screwed up more and more, their officiating is atrocious, their wanting 18 games, I wonder about European expansion due to travel.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/This-is-DeSean-Jackson-s-new-anti-concussion-hel?urn=nfl-282521

Thu Nov 04 11:15am EDT

This is DeSean Jackson's new anti-concussion helmet

By Chris Chase

Whenever he returns to the playing field -- and that might be this weekend against Indianapolis or in two Mondays against the Redskins -- DeSean Jackson(notes) will be wearing a new helmet designed to limit concussions. This begs the question: If such technology exists, why isn't everyone wearing these helmets?

Jackson told reporters in Philadelphia on Wednesday that he's now wearing a new helmet made by Schutt and designed to limit the risk of concussions. The NFL has a contract with helmet-maker Riddell, but Jackson and other players are allowed to go with another brand provided there are no logos on the helmet. The receiver, who has been sidelined since suffering a concussion last month on a vicious hit by Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson(notes), said his mother bought him another model helmet, but he didn't like it and chose to go with the Schutt model.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

I agree. ACLs are up almost double from 2011.  

Some will say it's due to the changes in practice rules but I think a lot of these are more contact/knee hits due to the belligerent reaction by defenders with the helmet/head hits.

Ban all hits, leading with the helmet, to the knee just like you did to the head.

Tackling has changed so much in this league, but this is getting out of control. I also don't buy TJ Ward's excuse.

He could have dove lower at the shins/ankles so you end up tripping the player up, gone mid section or waist.   You know, the traditional hitting/tackle areas.

I;ve never gone at an opponents' knees, not playing pick up in the backyard or in high school. We weren't even taught that.

Not buying his pitiful excuse either. He just basically launched his body at Gronks knees. He was not even looking where he was going to land. Once again it's a celebration around the league because another elite Patriots player gets injured. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

Goodell indicated the competition committee will look at possible rule changes, but those changes would not address hits like the one that shelved New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski on Sunday. Proposals are more likely to be centered on hits like the one that took out Miami Dolphins tight end Dustin Keller. Keller was hit while in the act of catching the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000296778/article/goodell-nfl-to-consider-centralizing-replay-reviews

How lame. They should not allow any hit to the knees unless you are in the act of tacking using your arms. Any hit to the knee with a helmet, launcing or shoulder pads should be a penalty and ejection from the game.

Agree to infinity!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/This-is-DeSean-Jackson-s-new-anti-concussion-hel?urn=nfl-282521

Thu Nov 04 11:15am EDT

This is DeSean Jackson's new anti-concussion helmet

By Chris Chase

Whenever he returns to the playing field -- and that might be this weekend against Indianapolis or in two Mondays against the Redskins -- DeSean Jackson(notes) will be wearing a new helmet designed to limit concussions. This begs the question: If such technology exists, why isn't everyone wearing these helmets?

Jackson told reporters in Philadelphia on Wednesday that he's now wearing a new helmet made by Schutt and designed to limit the risk of concussions. The NFL has a contract with helmet-maker Riddell, but Jackson and other players are allowed to go with another brand provided there are no logos on the helmet. The receiver, who has been sidelined since suffering a concussion last month on a vicious hit by Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson(notes), said his mother bought him another model helmet, but he didn't like it and chose to go with the Schutt model.

Hmm $ over safety Nah could never happen 

thnx for the post

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Well said kp.  I agree 100%

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I blame ESPN and silly segments like "jacked up" for this. Look at old footage of 1960s football. You see awesome tackling, and people pile driving opponents, but you almost never see people turning themselves into missiles. However, those hits are the kind that put your image on Sports Center. Let's face it. If Ward merely performs a from tackle at the shoestrings on Gronk, it's not even a highlight. If Ward decks Gronk at the knees and flips him upside down, it might. 

The funny thing, and what bears directly on your comment above, is that when I was taught tackling, and from experience, lighting people up is the worst technique. More often than not it is the least effective way to stop someone. It does raise the chance that you hurt them, and possibly cause them to drop the football, but it does a lot less to guarantee a stop than wrapping them up. 

I really wish the league would get out ahead of this and outlaw leading with the helmet in any case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

z

they already do   heads Up. Program

certainly the culture of these guys ihas changed and for the worst

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

z

they already do   heads Up. Program

certainly the culture of these guys ihas changed and for the worst

+10

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Hey whatever... any low hit rule would be a huge help going forward...  what's weird is why they would bother to distinguish between the 2 hits...?  A low hit is a low hit.  Defenseless means you don't see the guy coming.  Just because you have taken 2 steps and not technically in the act of catching doesn't matter.  How stupid.   Why even put that in the article...?

to p1ss off New England fans...?    Really isn't that strange...?   "We're considering a low hit rule but it doesn't apply to any new england player...  You can continue diving at their knees its ok..."

I'ts like they are going out of their way to make sure TJ ward feels exonerated.... since Roger the patriot hater is happy that the Patriots had an injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Sorry, Kansas, I posted my discussion before I even saw the one you posted about Goodell's comments.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Hey whatever... any low hit rule would be a huge help going forward...  what's weird is why they would bother to distinguish between the 2 hits...?  A low hit is a low hit.  Defenseless means you don't see the guy coming.  Just because you have taken 2 steps and not technically in the act of catching doesn't matter.  How stupid.   Why even put that in the article...?

to p1ss off New England fans...?    Really isn't that strange...?   "We're considering a low hit rule but it doesn't apply to any new england player...  You can continue diving at their knees its ok..."

I'ts like they are going out of their way to make sure TJ ward feels exonerated.... since Roger the patriot hater is happy that the Patriots had an injury.

Hey hypocrite, should they up the penalty on the dangerous leg whips that Cannon likes to use?  Maybe a multiple game suspension?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

I agree. ACLs are up almost double from 2011.  

Some will say it's due to the changes in practice rules but I think a lot of these are more contact/knee hits due to the belligerent reaction by defenders with the helmet/head hits.

Ban all hits, leading with the helmet, to the knee just like you did to the head.

Tackling has changed so much in this league, but this is getting out of control. I also don't buy TJ Ward's excuse.

He could have dove lower at the shins/ankles so you end up tripping the player up, gone mid section or waist.   You know, the traditional hitting/tackle areas.

I;ve never gone at an opponents' knees, not playing pick up in the backyard or in high school. We weren't even taught that.

So true about going low to the feet.  With the speed of NFL defenders these days, most often the runner is being engaged by another defender and when the second one is at the feet, it forces the runner to slow down and is more easilty tackled.  Also, how many times have we seen a tackle simply consist of grabbing an ankle/foor and the runner still goes down?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I blame ESPN and silly segments like "jacked up" for this. Look at old footage of 1960s football. You see awesome tackling, and people pile driving opponents, but you almost never see people turning themselves into missiles. However, those hits are the kind that put your image on Sports Center. Let's face it. .....

I really wish the league would get out ahead of this and outlaw leading with the helmet in any case.

#1 - Leon loves this type of stuff.. he relishes seeing injured players.  If he's joking, he has yet to show it.

#2 - As I have said, "launching" and becoming a "human missile" is so prevalent today versus the old NFL.  Here is another thing, what would happen if the player launching themselves MISSES the runner and blows out the knee of their teammate next to them? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Sorry, Kansas, I posted my discussion before I even saw the one you posted about Goodell's comments.

not a problem.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Hey whatever... any low hit rule would be a huge help going forward...   You know?   Since the rule would make the responsible DBs at least have to think about it, making the malicious move less likely.  

But... what's weird is why they would bother to distinguish between the 2 hits...?  A low hit is a low hit.  Defenseless means you don't see the guy coming.  Just because you have taken 2 steps and not technically in the act of catching doesn't matter.  How stupid.   Why even put that in the article...?

Was it merely to p1ss off New England fans...?   either way, really isn't that strange...?       It's like saying "We're considering a low hit rule but it doesn't apply to any new england player...  You can continue diving at their knees its ok..." basically is the thrust of it.

This edited version  is easier to read.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

ONe thing for sure is it is a lot worse when it happens to a player on your team.  I wasn't starting threads and posting what a dirtbag the Baltimore player was who trashed Randal Cobbs knee.  It was in the back of my mind but seeing it happen to Gronk just made the issue crystal clear.  It has to stop.

Roger Goodell doesn't care about Rob Gronkowski apparently .  the news report kind of proves it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEBACK. Show WeDerrWEBACK's posts

First off, let me say that it is a shame about Gronkowski getting injured and I mean that sincerely.

Second, this was bound to happen.  When the rules changed to take away part of the body where you can tackle somebody, that only leaves more hits/tackles on other parts of the body.  It is bound to increase the number of hits to the knees. 

MANY players, both current and former have said that instead of somebody missing some time with a concussion there will now be players ending their careers with blown out knees.  Specificly, Merriweather and Brusci have said this.  Even WRs have stepped up and said that they would rather take a shot to their head than their knee although I cant recall their names.

I think the rules will be changed, AGAIN, after a few more of these types of injuries. The only question is what the names of the next players to come over the middle and have thier knee wrecked.  Gronkowski was bad enough but imagine if megatron was IRed due to this type of hit.

Lastly, it is a complete joke to say that a football player should be targetting shoestrings to try to tackle an opponent.  Absolutely laughable.  Especially on Gronkowski, I have seen that guy take on more than one DB and carry them for 10 yards to only shed them both and take it to the house.  Guy is a freak, its not like he couldnt leap over a would be tackler trying to grab his foot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Corners won't go high against tightends because they'll bounce off, look silly and/or get hurt themselves.  

There is no easy answer here but stay away from heads and knees is a good start. 

Sections
Shortcuts