Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Re: Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football

Had a thought about the hits to the head/concussion rules that I hadn't thought of and I don't know if its been discussed.  Likely it has and I heard it and that is why I am thinking it now. 

Beyond the fact that it seems concussions are increasing, I believe the CBA has much to do with this legislation.  

1.  The owners want 18 games.  With so many head injuries occurring trying to legislate some of these out of the game may allow some players to stay healthy thereby allowing owners to say they only need 5 more players per team vs. 10 or whatever number the NFLPA might come up with. 

2.  Also in the CBA will be the amount of increased benefits paid to retired players and particularly those who become disabled later in life due to head related injuries (particularly dementia - long term care costs can be significant and none these players will want to spend down to poverty level to be covered by Medicaid).  The NFL wants as little of these kinds of costs on their books as possible.  Trying to legislate out some concussions may help. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football:
    Had a thought about the hits to the head/concussion rules that I hadn't thought of and I don't know if its been discussed.  Likely it has and I heard it and that is why I am thinking it now.  Beyond the fact that it seems concussions are increasing, I believe the CBA has much to do with this legislation.   1.  The owners want 18 games.  With so many head injuries occurring trying to legislate some of these out of the game may allow some players to stay healthy thereby allowing owners to say they only need 5 more players per team vs. 10 or whatever number the NFLPA might come up with.  2.  Also in the CBA will be the amount of increased benefits paid to retired players and particularly those who become disabled later in life due to head related injuries (particularly dementia - long term care costs can be significant and none these players will want to spend down to poverty level to be covered by Medicaid).  The NFL wants as little of these kinds of costs on their books as possible.  Trying to legislate out some concussions may help. 
    Posted by Indylove

Concussions aren't increasing.  Concussions have always been there.  Publicity for concussions is increasing.

Also, I'm still incensed that the league can f*ck around with the dynamics of a great game that has worked fantastically for 50 years WHEN THEY HAVEN'T FORCED PLAYERS TO WEAR THE BEST HELMETS, MOUTHPIECES, AND PADS AVAILABLE.

If after deploying the best safety equipment available to man and forcing players to wear it, there are still just as many problems with head injuries, THEN you can start watering down football with rule changes that completely destroy the dynamic of the game (wider hash marks would turn it into college football, which is for r*t*rds - I don't want to have a tiny boundary and a HUGE wide side of the field because it's fun to watch the strategic struggle when defenses have to respect both sides of the field equally each play, among other things).

A sampling of the equipment that the NFL should require before watering the game down with more rule changes:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/09/anti-concussion/
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4392045
    http://www.xenith.com/football/x1-helmet/#/?&angle=Angle0&product_id=1&part_1=16&part_2=59&part_3=78&part_4=80&part_5=83&part_6=0&part_7=0&part_8=0&part_9=133&part_10=135&size=
    http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/mouthguards.aspx
    http://www.mahercorlabs.com/news/article-20060330.htm
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2314899
    http://www.brainpads.com/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

And the beat goes on...with this out of control NFL Commissioner. The current craze is to protect "defenseless" QBs and WRs from those mean, nasty NFL defenders. Actually, this is just an extension, and further restraint on defenders.

The origins of this movement stem from the Patriots' upset win over the Rams, in 2001. In the aftermath of that game, then Rams' head coach, Mike Martz, complained about how the Patriots "illegally" roughed up his merry band of WRs, along with his RB, Marshall Faulk.

Three years later, after the Indianapolis Colts made similar whines, the NFL Rules Committee, then spear-headed by Martz, Colts' head coach, Tony Dungy, and Colts GM, Bill Polian, came up with the "Polian Passing Rules". These "rules" were more in the form of rule modifications...as referees were instructed in place an emphasis on illegal contact on WRs after 5 yards...and a corresponding more liberal interpretation of what constitutes pass interference.

Subsequent low hits on QBs caused knee injuries to Cincinnati Bengals' rising star, Carson Palmer, and established star, Tom Brady. This led to another rule change in which defenders were ordered not to hit QBs at the knee or below. 

For the past two years, the potentially devastating effects of head injuries and concussions have been brought to light. As a result, the NFL has looked into developing a better helmet, and doing what it can to protect its' players. Positive strives have been made to prevent teams from rushing players back, and to curb player machismo, through education and awareness regarding concussions.

The aforementioned liberalization of the passing rules has led to teams adopting strategies to punish WRs, QBs, and RBs in the open field, in hopes of intimidating these skill players, and forcing turnovers. This, and exotic blitz packages designed to pressure passers, and throw-off the timing of pass plays, are the only tactics left to defenders in their attempts to contain the league's potent spread offenses. 

Over the past few weeks, the league has attempted to outlaw helmet to helmet collisions. These types of hit...or close facsimile there to, have resulted in a rash of penalties and fines. To date, the greatest offender in this area have been the Pittsburgh Steelers' star DE/OLB James Harrison. Harrison has drawn $125,000 in fines for four alleged illegal hits.

Recently, Steelers' owner Art Rooney, II has questioned whether Roger "Jets" Goodell, and the league, has over-reacted and over-stepped it's bounds in it's proactive approach to protecting players:  http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_712044.html.

Steelers' WR Hines Wards has called Goodell and the league ministers a bunch of hypocrites: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711773.html;

Other players have voiced complaints:  http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711761.html 

What say you? Do you think that the Steelers are right...and that Roger "Jets" Goodell has over-stepped his bounds?   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football:
         This guy has got to go. From his: 1.) grandstanding for the press to help turn a mole hill into a mountain on "Spygate"; 2.) to allowing political correctness to seep into pro football via hiss support for complete and unfettered access to male locker rooms by female reporters, 3.) through establishing breast cancer awareness week (now extended to a full  month), during the season 4.) and by mandating that players wear pink for a full month; 5.) via his support for over-officiating on passing plays; 6.) to his proposal for an 18 game schedule, which would water down the NFL season, and shorten player careers;   7.) to his ambiguous micro-managing regarding QB and WR hits, 8.) to this...his latest idea to "enhance player safety"...widening the field of play: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/17/league-may-consider-widening-field-to-enhance-safety/ ...it's only a matter of time before the NFL is declared to be too barbaric, leading to the banning of tackling altogether...and having the NFL replaced by the NFFL (National Flag Football League).   
    Posted by TexasPat3

Tex, While I agree with some points, I have to say others are just plain incorrect or wrongly represented.
    2. Allowing female reporters unfettered access to the locker room has been going on for quite some time. This isn't a Goodell thing. 

4. Players aren't mandated to wear any gear that is pink as far as I am aware. I had read that this was an "opt in" thing as I have seen many players not wearing pink even on the first weekend of October. The teams may decide that they will wear pink and mandate it to the players, but I am not aware that the NFL mandates it. (Now, if it were a Reebok contract, then of course they would.)

Otherwise, I agree with your points.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

What is so magical about the number 16? If you're so worried about injuries, why not advocate for a return to a 14-game schedule? Or better yet, 12. NFL teams have been playing 20 games since the regular season extended to 14 and there were six "exhibitions." The owners are going to reduce the preseason and go to 18 because that's where the TV money is. They'll probably have to expand the rosters a little and maybe even throw in another bye (which should p*ss off all the fantasy football mooks to no end -- a nice ancillary benefit), but make no mistake -- it's happening. An expanded schedule will actually introduce yet another competitive element to the season -- the ability to manage a roster and considering matchups as a means to keep your key players healthy. I would think players would be in favor of it, as well, if you consider that it should open up a few more job opportunities. Maybe I'm just an inveterate skeptic, but I don't really believe football fans when they say they don't want more football.
    Posted by p-mike

First, there are already players on the field who may not belong there. With 18 games you will be adding another 32 to 190 players who couldn't make it in yesterday. That severely weakens the product. I don't want more football if it means I am watching the NFL Europe on Sunday. 

(BTW, I could care less about the fantasy folks. The focus on ff is ruining a lot of things for real fans of the game. (Yes, I realize there are a lot of "real" fans who play ff. I am talking about the marginal viewers who wouldn't care about football except that they need their points.) There shouldn't be shows on sports channels devoted to ff and it should be kept off the sports pages, too. I also tell my friends who play that if they have Manning or Rivers or anyone not a Pat on their team that they svck and aren't a Pats fan anymore. How could you root for a player from another team especially a rival team? Sickening.)

Second, 16 is great because of the current number of teams being 32. It makes scheduling far easier. It is also 2^4 which just makes it right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Tom Brady and Ray Lewis are the two top names against 18 game season.

I think Harrison's latest hit on Fitz was about the same as Myron Pryor's hit on Favre. Both fines. Both hits to the chest of the QB that ended with the defenders helmet making contact with the QB's helmet. 

Now this is when you have to apply common sense and physics. If the QB does not fall backwards and away from the contact when being hit. It only makes physical sense that the impact would make the two players body's to continue to get closer together. There for making the defenders helmet rise upward as his body continues to catch up to the impact. Now if this is what their trying to say is leading with the helmet. Then I don't know how it would be physical possible as a defender.To attempt to lower your target area on the QB and not lead with the helmet. If the QB is  6'5" and a defender is 6'5". Then you will have to bend some point on your body to lower your hitting area on the QB. There for lead with the helmet.

This is a Question I Have.   If the chin is not tucked into the body does it expose the defender to greater injury risk? ( edit tucking the chin would be seen as leading with the crown of the helmet ) Maybe someone in boxing or pride fighting would know more. I know in boxing where you are hit in the head by design. You are told to tuck the chin to avoid the KO / concussion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Random thoughts that have nothing to do with good looking girls playing football in their underwear-

1.  If you want to eliminate dain brammage, let the defensive backs compete for throws.  Then they won't have to target guys who already caught a ball and try to pop it loose.  
    2.  PI calls should be 10 yard penalties, automatic first down.  NOT spot of foul.  We are discouraging guys from STOPPING a catch.  It's watering down the product when Peyton can throw a 45 yard incompletion and get awarded the yards.
    3.  Extend the chuck zone to 10 yards.  This lets defenses get in on some of the crossing stuff.  
    4.  Offense DOES NOT sell tickets.  Not if it's so wildly skewed that a defense can't even take the field without costing their team penalties.  People want to see a FAIR CONTEST.
    5.  STOP HEADHUNTERS.  Guys who deliver punishing hits or pile on just for the sake of hurting the other guys should be suspended.  Reward good play, punish bad play.  No fines.  Suspension.  Games are the only currency teams care about, and players will get the message from the top down. 
    6.  PAY THE REFS FULL TIME.  Referees are part time employees.  So they can't be focused on rules when they are doing their "other" jobs.  Make them full time employees, pay them well, train and drill them over the summer.  Put them in light shells and hybrid helmets (with cameras?) and place them where you NEED them on the field.  Have one ref in the booth who can have a review of ANY PLAY ANY TIME.  Keep the 2 challenge per team system, but allow refs to review any play.  Charge refs with getting it right, or as close to right as possible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Random thoughts that have nothing to do with good looking girls playing football in their underwear- 2.   PI calls should be 10 yard penalties, automatic first down.  NOT spot of foul.  We are discouraging guys from STOPPING a catch.  It's watering down the product when Peyton can throw a 45 yard incompletion and get awarded the yards.
     I agree here because even incidental contact by the defender who is also going for the ball seems to be deemed a PI..  wouldn't you say a "Hail Mary" pass is one part desperation and one part wish for a defensive PI call?

3.   Extend the chuck zone to 10 yards.  This lets defenses get in on some of the crossing stuff.
    In the "old" days, the original PI call was made once the ball was IN THE AIR and the defender could have physical contact with the receiver all over the field until that point.  BB's defenses took advantage of that and the Rams, in that SB, and Colts, in every game they played the Pats until Polian stepped in, hated it!  With the new rule, the receiver now has free reign once beyond 5 yards with no fear of being touched. This is called FOOTBALL, not flag football, which seems the direction some of this stuff Goodell is doing lately!

Response to
    Posted by Davedsone

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I have to shake my head over this sometimes.

The players want to make more money, the owners want to make more money.

That means expanding the market.

The market wants exiting, high scoring offensive shootouts.

That means making sure the QBs and receivers are healthy so they can provide it.

It's all business.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I have to shake my head over this sometimes. The players want to make more money, the owners want to make more money. That means expanding the market. The market wants exiting, high scoring offensive shootouts. That means making sure the QBs and receivers are healthy so they can provide it. It's all business.
    Posted by Evil2010

Yes it is and until the fans stop paying the prices charged for tickets, even in the pre-season, the NFL thinks the fan base of the NFL will pay to watch regardless!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I have to shake my head over this sometimes. The players want to make more money, the owners want to make more money. That means expanding the market. The market wants exiting, high scoring offensive shootouts. That means making sure the QBs and receivers are healthy so they can provide it. It's all business.
    Posted by Evil2010

I think they have no concept of the people who love the game the way it is: violent, not-high-scoring, fight for every yard

These are the people they stand to alienate
    by f*ck*ng around with the rules.  These are also the people who pay for season tickets, a bumper sticker for every one of their cars, jerseys, flags, memorabilia, exorbitantly expensive beer and concessions at games, DirectTV packages, etc etc.

All to win over Europeans who don't care about American football because they prefer watching people pretend they're dying because they got hit in the shin, women who would much rather watch Jersey Shore and Grey's Anatomy than watch men hit each other, and suits who just want people to know that they attended a posh event.  These are not the people who drive merchandise sales, who buy everything with their teams' logos on it - these are the people who don't stand to cheer on 3rd down and then proceed to yell and throw popcorn at the people like me who do and I say good riddance.  The suits can have the luxury boxes to help my team compete and to keep my ticket prices down, but the other people who aren't invested in the game like we are can G*T*F*O

If the league makes the field wider, handcuffs hitting, still refuses to force players to wear the safest helmets, pads, and mouthpieces available, and turns its back on the fans who have loved the game for what it is/was, frankly I'll be done with football.  At that point, I might as well just watch basketball for the scoring and superstar favoritism.  They're turning the NFL into the lingerie football league for men.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Yes- Goodie has to go-- on balance, his decisions, not been good for the players. The problem is- his decisions favor the owners, like 18 games. So, as for as a possible future lockout  in 2001- count on it !!! as far as the players.
    The players, dead set vs 18 games, also regard his handling these recent helmet to helmet - over reacting. The players are not happy with this guy, one bit. Also, with the recent rumors regard the jet QB, gender preferrences, it may get to the point, Goodie may somehow suggest "that speaking to the  subject, not in the best interest of the NFL."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Just one question; when will the NFL be sponsoring Prostrate cancer awareness month?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarveMaster. Show CarveMaster's posts

What say you? Do you think that the Steelers are right...and that Roger "Jets" Goodell has over-stepped his bounds?             
    Posted by TexasPat3

Tex, I read what Art Rooney II said, and I agree 100% with him. The Rooneys have been involved in the NFL almost from the get go, and they have more knowledge of the game in their little finger, than Rodger Good-for-Nothing and his band of merry Whimps will ever know.

According to the link, now even Dan Rooney is ticked off at Roger. Dan Rooney is the defacto Chairman of the Board of the NFL, and it would be a huge mistake on Roger's part to underestimate Dan's influence on the other owners opinion of him. If Roger tries to take on Dan Rooney, he is signing his own pink slip.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

Breast awareness IS important. 
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

I agree and do my part.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

In Response to Re: Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football : I'm sure you do. My wife has a friend that has breast cancer, which started out looking like "eczema" on her nipples.  That is how her doctor diagnosed it: eczema.  The cancer has now gone to her brain, the bones in her back and other organs. The earlier men and women are aware of breast cancer possibilities, the better the prognosis.  I applaud the NFL for bringing it to men's attentions as well as women. I'm embarassed of men that must make light of it.

Pats666, lighten up.
    You invited that. Next time say breast cancer awareness is important.

Also, all white people are not by definition racists. You are really a weirdo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

All the awareness in the world wouldn't have saved THAT person.  The DOCTOR screwed that up.  Pink shoes won't fix it.  I HATE HATE HATE the breast cancer awareness thing.  What, other cancer now isn't a big deal?  NO! It's pandering to women.  THAT makes me mad.  It's like people who buy those stupid "support our troops" stickers, and talk that stuff, but they don't do ANYTHING to actually support the damn troops.  ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

In Response to Re: Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football : Bite me.  Breast awareness will lead to breast cancer awareness. You know, David Duke also said he wasn't a "racist".  A true weirdo is a person that says that not all whites are racist. I suppose the white person that showed up at an Obama rally in 2008 with a shotgun wasn't a racist.  I suppose he probably said he wasn't racist, either.

You are really nuts.

A true weirdo is a person that says that not all whites are racist.

Really? Are you really this insane? You should kill yourself tonight out of racial guilt.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

In Response to Re: Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football : No, the person that is "nuts" is the one that plays psychiatrist without medical training or license. Saying a person is "insane" requires training and clinical experience.  You have neither, I suspect.  Now go bother the gnats in your bananas; they are lonely.

You are a whack job. I do not need psychiatric training to see that. You know the walking and quacking thing?  And your mea culpa white guilt s*h*i*t is condescending to black people who would all like and be capable of kicking your bleeding heart pathetic a s s.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts