Goodell is really naive!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Goodell is really naive!

His statement about BB back in 2007 suggest he really does not understand the media at all. If you read the excerpt from the article he was upset that BB did not talk to the media after the fact and explain his side of the story. BB rightly so, issued a statement publically taking full responsibility for the incident. What good would it have done to try to explain to the media what happen. They would have just twisted his words to fit what ever agenda they wanted. Remember he had a football team to coach and that team had to get ready to play every week and he certainy did not want the distraction from this to go on and on. He learned very quickly when he was the coach in Cleveland never to trust the media, as they will skin you alive. 

Goodell didn't make friends in New England in 2007 when he fined Patriots coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and the team $250,000 and docked the Pats a first-round draft pick for secretly videotaping an opposing team's coaching signals. Owner Robert Kraft thought the penalty too severe. Goodell told Kraft that, as part of the disciplinary action, Belichick would have to make a verbal apology in front of the press that week. Instead the coach issued a printed statement and refused to answer any questions on the topic. "I was given assurances that [Belichick] would tell his side of the story," Goodell says. "He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived."

Belichick responds, "I did not make any assurances about thoroughly discussing the subject publicly. I said I would address it following the league's review. I then did that in a way I thought was appropriate. I don't think that was deceptive."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: Goodell is really naive!

If in fact Goodell felt that BB did not live up to the agreement, why didn't he take further action against BB, like a suspension?  He certainly had the power.  We noe hear about this three years after?  Goodell should have told this story to his priest in confession, not to Peter King

Sounds to me like Goodell got outsmarted, which isn't surprising with this empty suit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I'm still waiting for him to explain how tapes ended up at his wife's employer's at FOX. The simple fact is that despite all the NFL's efforts to stifle the power house teams of the last decade ( Pats, Steelers Ravens ) and replace them with different ones ( Jets) the same teams are still at the top season after season. Roger would love to drive BB out of football as a way of increasing the Jets' chances of actually getting to the Super Bowl.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'd have to agree with provpats here. If Goody felt so "deceived" and was so terribly disappointed with Belichick's response, why are we only hearing about it now . . .   and as far as that goes, why is this even being reported as news?

It's not as if there is a huge labor negotiation coming up or anything.

Wait . . .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

The article doesn't mention timing, so the punishment fines and a pick may have been due to Belichick's lack of contrition and lack of following of orders (no surprise there). 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3392047

Per this timeline, Belichick issued his statement on the 12th and punishment was handed down on the 13th. 

If Belichick was worried about having to "take it" from the media, then all he is is a coward. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

ud6 - i hope your methlab explodes with you and every other colts fan inside it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I love how Roger Goodell thinks he doesn't have to answer two questions:

1.  How did the tape that was confiscated get into Jay Glazer's hands at Fox? This is the equivalent of an attorney walking into court with the evidence, showing gthe judge, making a ruling, and then selling it out the back door for $$. 

Did one of the NFL employees dupe the tape or lose it on purpose AFETR you viewed it, for money?  Why does Roger Goodell act like this is not important? 

It seems awfully strange for this serious piece of "evidence" to miraculosly leave your grasp a mere 48 hours after you apparently viewed it.

Did ROger Goodell give the tape to Jay Glazer at FOx through his wife as a way to generate support for his ruling against NE?  Did this shape the unrealistic context of the witch hunt and only perpetuate the incident 8 months, if not now, 3 years later?

Hmmmm.

2.  Why did you REALLY destroy the tapes Belichick sent you?  

What was on the tapes?  Did those tapes show other teams filming NE's sideline during games?

I know the answers to these questions and anyone with a brain or IQ above 115 does too.

He's a very, very poor commissioner with really no clue of how to lead.

I have to admit, the Krafts sitting idly by and taking all of this is getting really annoying.  I would have fired back a long, long time ago.

Apparently, neither party signed off on a written statement that promised not to talk about this.

Fire away, Bill and Bob.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In Response to Re: Goodell is really naive!:
    Posted by patthepatriot666

Lol, thanks for the laugh

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Posted by patthepatriot666

That's sweet. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Roger Goodell = Whiny baby....

What does is ay about you when you are the most powerful man in the sport and you come out years after an event and say you were deceived?  It says your stupid.  Not stupid for being deceived but for saying it now which makes him look totally ineffectual, which he is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

He's stupid for not being the commissioner.  I'd love to ask how many times Tagliabue diffused little petty divisional rival or conference rival spats like this prior to this incident.

Probabaly dozens of times during his tenure.

And, realizing the Jets' jealousy and other team's demands to skewer NE at the stake, is simply not good leadership.

You lead, you don't play favorites due to jealous organizational demands of loser franchises.

He's also dumb for not handling the media better from the outset.

His irrational punishment only infused the situation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Goodell is a bit like Obama. Thinks he's smarter than he really is. Doesn't know how things work in the real world because he's never had to really work for anything. 

Goodell pretends he's concerned about player safety, like Obama about health care or the environment. It's just a ruse to make more money for the owners by getting an 18 game schedule, just like health care and global warming are fake causes. 

But he looks good, speaks well and he's an effective water carrier for the owners. I suspect they will reward him handsomely in his next contract. And he'll be around for another 15 or 20 years, so get used to him. No term limits unfortunately.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I would argue Obama is a lot more intelligent and hands on than Goodell is, though.

Goodell is only a lawyer and a figurehead.  He really doesn't feature leadership qualities from what I have seen.

Obviously, people will disagree if Obama is a leader or not, but I see Goodell being more of a puppet than Obama.

You just know the seething teams who saw an opportunity to try to weaken NE on the Jets back with Spygate were all on the phone with him pestering him to hammer NE.

You just know it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

He's stupid for not being the commissioner.  I'd love to ask how many times Tagliabue diffused little petty divisional rival or conference rival spats like this prior to this incident. Probabaly dozens of times during his tenure.   And, realizing the Jets' jealousy and other team's demands to skewer NE at the stake, is simply not good leadership. You lead, you don't play favorites due to jealous organizational demands of loser franchises. He's also dumb for not handling the media better from the outset. His irrational punishment only infused the situation.
    Posted by BBReigns

I love when fans believe the commissioner is operating with bias.  Maybe for pats fans its your inherent "us against the world" mentality derived from Belichick's efforts/desire to turn the world against the pats. 

Feel free to allow Goodell to fuel your hate if it supports your fantasy, but I really don't believe that Goodell is emotionally trying to stick it to your club, especially given his strong relationship with Kraft.  

Here's an example, it's now been proven that NE built a wall for kick returns and actually impeded the progress of the opposition.  What punishment has been handed down to the Patriots for doing this?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

No. That's false. AGAIN.

You are allowed to have the sub players, the active players in that box.  Keep in mind, they don't have to move from that box.  Ryan Wendell did not move from the box. He twisted his body, but no part of his body left the box area.

I am sure this happens literally on every punt in every game.

The difference is clear, and you either ignore it on purpose or are dumb. I am betting on the latter.

May I ask what grade you finished in high school? I am dead serious. Did you graduate?

See, your problem is you believe what you read on the internets regardless of facts.

When Jay Glazer tries to spin to make a story up, you believe it because it fits your agenda of jealousy of the Pats.

The Jets used a COACH and INACTIVE players in an illegal zone of the sideline.  The coach made contact (intent) and then their STs coach lied about another team doing the same thing.

This is absolutely incorrect and false.

You don't like facts, do you Underpants?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chung25. Show chung25's posts

How about the timing? Goodell says all this once BB wins coach of the year

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

The article doesn't mention timing, so the punishment fines and a pick may have been due to Belichick's lack of contrition and lack of following of orders (no surprise there).  http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3392047 Per this timeline, Belichick issued his statement on the 12th and punishment was handed down on the 13th.  If Belichick was worried about having to "take it" from the media, then all he is is a coward. 
    Posted by UD6

There are very few constants left in the world that can be depended on but you being a needle dicked turd is one of them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

No. That's false. AGAIN. You are allowed to have the sub players, the active players.  May I ask what grade you finished in high school? I am dead serious. Did you graduate? See, your problem is you believe what you read on the internets regardless of facts. When Jay Glazer tries to spin to make a story up, you believe it because it fits your agenda of jealousy of the Pats. The Jets used a COACH and INACTIVE players in an illegal zone of the sideline.  The coach made contact (intent) and then their STs coach lied about another team doing the same thing. This is absolutely incorrect and false. You don't like facts, do you Underpants?
    Posted by BBReigns

The fact that you have to attempt failed/sophomoric personal attacks demonstrates your inability to effectively refute the arguement.  

per the video, pats players were standing in an area of the field that only a few players are allowed to be in. 

NFL statement:  only coaches and a small amount of situation substitution players immediately ready to be sent into the game are allowed within the "second border". 

Neither you nor I can say whether or not the pats players in question were to be immediately sent into the game.  Regardless, it wouldn't matter.  The wall was there, and a former pats player said the pats intentionally do this.  Further, the pats player who stuck his leg out to trip the opponent stepped into the white painted area in order to do so which is prohibited by all and not done by the Jets. 

NFL statement:    no coaches or players are allowed in the "first border" -- the solid white six-foot (minimum) area that separates the field from the sideline.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/nfl-on-fox?vid=51c3fe0a-c811-4bcd-af34-3ede438891ae&from=foxsports/Home/headlines
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cf665f/article/nfl-reiterates-sideline-rules-restrictions-in-memo-sent-to-teams

The video shows, and glazer corroborated through a former patriot player, that the patriots do the same thing. 

So, I ask again, if the commissioner is so biased against the pats, how come he did not punish the patriots for doing the same thing the Jets did?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

How about the timing? Goodell says all this once BB wins coach of the year
    Posted by chung25

He said it before.  It was stated in an interview with Peter King.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommChairman. Show CommChairman's posts

I'm still waiting for him to explain how tapes ended up at his wife's employer's at FOX. The simple fact is that despite all the NFL's efforts to stifle the power house teams of the last decade ( Pats, Steelers Ravens ) and replace them with different ones ( Jets) the same teams are still at the top season after season. Roger would love to drive BB out of football as a way of increasing the Jets' chances of actually getting to the Super Bowl.
    Posted by Evil2010

Are you really this naive? Kraft is one of the strongest owners in the NFL, and a big supporter of Goodell. Goodell did whatever he could to cover Kraft's backside re Spygate by destroying tapes that could have implicated the Pats during their SB winning seasons. Goodell was doing his best damage control for the Pats in a Spygate situation that was a media frenzy. The politics of ownership is way beyond the understanding of most fans, just as Kraft congratulating Woody for his victory over the Pats infuriated many Pat fans. It's all just business.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Goodell is really naive! : The fact that you have to attempt failed/sophomoric personal attacks demonstrates your inability to effectively refute the arguement.   per the video, pats players were standing in an area of the field that only a few players are allowed to be in.  NFL statement:  only coaches and a small amount of situation substitution players immediately ready to be sent into the game are allowed within the "second border".   Neither you nor I can say whether or not the pats players in question were to be immediately sent into the game.  Regardless, it wouldn't matter.  The wall was there, and a former pats player said the pats intentionally do this.  Further, the pats player who stuck his leg out to trip the opponent stepped into the white painted area in order to do so which is prohibited by all and not done by the Jets.  NFL statement:     no coaches or players are allowed in the "first border" -- the solid white six-foot (minimum) area that separates the field from the sideline. http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/nfl-on-fox?vid=51c3fe0a-c811-4bcd-af34-3ede438891ae&from=foxsports/Home/headlines http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cf665f/article/nfl-reiterates-sideline-rules-restrictions-in-memo-sent-to-teams The video shows, and glazer corroborated through a former patriot player, that the patriots do the same thing.  So, I ask again, if the commissioner is so biased against the pats, how come he did not punish the patriots for doing the same thing the Jets did?
    Posted by UD6

Are you this stupid?  You must have missed this game as a kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZIvgQ9ik48

What do you not get about the fact the Jets COACH and players were INACTIVE.  An INACTIVE player isn't being subbed.

Get it?

Have you noticed that every time a jealous team wants to point a finger they try to point to NE?

My good god.  Do you think you were the victim of double barreled incest?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Yeah,

Docking a team a first round pick and fining them $750K for committing the pigskin equivalent of jaywalking is really "covering" for Kraft and the Patriots. It was an unprecedented and completely unwarranted punishment, given that just a few years earlier salary cap cheaters were punished far less severely--some of them even having been "repeat" violators, in fact.

Go away troll...or at least don't return until you've gotten a clue.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

more personal attacks without an ounce of valid retort on the actual subject matter. 

All active players are not allowed in the space just subbing players.  Unless you can guarantee that all of those wall builders were going into the game immediately after the kick, then you have no arguement. 

Beyond that THE PATS PLAYER STUCK HIS LEG OUT INTO AN AREA OF THE FIELD PROHIBITED BY ALL TEAM PERSONNEL ON THE SIDELINES.  

Once again, you avoid the obvious simply because it does not suit your perspective. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I don't have to guarantee anything. The reality is, the player went out of bounds and he and Wendell made contact inside the sub box.

Like I said, this probably happens once a game during NFL games every week.

Carolina also was involved in a play like this, which was far more egregious and was not fined, likely because the players were ACTIVE and sub players. Hence, no fine for Carolina.

The Jets, as usual, took something to another level because they are completely obnoxious, arrogant and desperate.

You're just an idiot who hasn't come to terms with it yet.

Good luck.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Goodell is really naive! : The fact that you have to attempt failed/sophomoric personal attacks demonstrates your inability to effectively refute the arguement.   per the video, pats players were standing in an area of the field that only a few players are allowed to be in.  NFL statement:  only coaches and a small amount of situation substitution players immediately ready to be sent into the game are allowed within the "second border".   Neither you nor I can say whether or not the pats players in question were to be immediately sent into the game.  Regardless, it wouldn't matter.  The wall was there, and a former pats player said the pats intentionally do this.  Further, the pats player who stuck his leg out to trip the opponent stepped into the white painted area in order to do so which is prohibited by all and not done by the Jets.  NFL statement:     no coaches or players are allowed in the "first border" -- the solid white six-foot (minimum) area that separates the field from the sideline. http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/nfl-on-fox?vid=51c3fe0a-c811-4bcd-af34-3ede438891ae&from=foxsports/Home/headlines http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cf665f/article/nfl-reiterates-sideline-rules-restrictions-in-memo-sent-to-teams The video shows, and glazer corroborated through a former patriot player, that the patriots do the same thing.  So, I ask again, if the commissioner is so biased against the pats, how come he did not punish the patriots for doing the same thing the Jets did?
    Posted by UD6

The truth is that crowding the line is probably something every team does or   gunners would routinely take advantage of the fact that they have free reign to operate in enemy territory.  It only became an issue when an idiot Jets coach chose to trip a player.  And the first thing the Jets do is call out NE and scapegoat the idiot coach.  Admit it, you know every other team pushes the letter of the law but they don't get called out because they don't trip the gunner.  After the fact all of the trolls and homers from every other NFL team call for the Pats to get fined without admitting that they would expect their team to "toe the line" or call them negligent in doing everything they could to win short of cheating.    

People routinely drive faster than the speed limit.  This situation is akin to a speeder getting caught while going 100 mph and then saying "but the guy in the car with Massachusetts plates was speeding too" when in reality that guy was going 66 mph in a 65 zone.  The most egregious offense gets caught, and everyone else skates.  Same deal here.  It was an accepted or overlooked practice till the idiot Jets coach made a blatant attempt to hurt an opposing team's player.  And then the ST coach says "the Pats do it too".  Pathetic.

So that's why the Pats or anyone else weren't punished, not that Goodell wouldn't have liked to stick it to NE if he had a leg to stand on.       

Sections
Shortcuts