Goodell / Playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Goodell / Playoffs

In addition to wanting 18 games a season, no kickoffs, and making the game trend toward something unrecognizable, NOW Goodell wants to open up the playoffs to another 2-4 teams

Yes, if he has his way, and he eventually will, a full HALF of all teams will make it to the post season!. Isn't the playoffs supposed to be hard to make it to? Wouldn't having HALF of the teams participating in it just kind of water down & degrade the whole thing?

You are supposed to be the elite, going head to head to show who is best. HALF the league is not elite.

But more playoff teams equals more revenue due to likely more interest from participating teams fans. If your team is in it, you will watch it. Maybe someday it'll be a single game elimination contest for all 32 teams and everybody gets a trophy!

I am not a bandwagon team, but I really think I'll stop watching this sport soon after Brady/Belichick retire. Not cuz I don't want to sit through rebuilding years, but because the game will be SO changed by then I simply won't want to watch it anymore. It's almost like that now and trending in the wrong direction

Hopefully his ideas will be shot down, but I doubt it. The owners love him

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Goodell / Playoffs

I liked this guy at first, but hes doing more and more things to make me think hes a clown. But this goes along with society as a whole. Everybody gets a trophy, because "you are all winners". Bull.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

He's all about the money - not the game

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

GODell needs to get lost!    Its all about the money for him.  The NFL will be just as profitable if it just stays the way it is. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I hadn't heard about playoff expansion but perhaps he has come to the conclusion that the only way the Jets can make the playoffs over the next few seasons is if they make it like the 80's NBA where more than half the teams made the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

MLB has the most exciting playoff race because only the elite 8 make it (Now 10).

Does anyone talk about the NBA or NHL playoff races?

How do you do 14 teams anyways? That's 7 teams a conference. You can't do a play in game like MLB. Unless you want to push the playoffs back an extra week (which would basically give everyone a bye except the bottom two teams).

I hate the idea of 16 teams. Playoffs should be the best of the best playing (we already get some crappy teams in there). When half the league makes it, playoffs become the not absolutely terrible tournament.

Also, I highly doubt this is just Goodell's idea. He was picked by the owners. He is there puppet. The owners are probably pushing for this the most. We already know at least half of these owners could care less about the game itself.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to hang3xc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In addition to wanting 18 games a season, no kickoffs, and making the game trend toward something unrecognizable, NOW Goodell wants to open up the playoffs to another 2-4 teams

Yes, if he has his way, and he eventually will, a full HALF of all teams will make it to the post season!. Isn't the playoffs supposed to be hard to make it to? Wouldn't having HALF of the teams participating in it just kind of water down & degrade the whole thing?

You are supposed to be the elite, going head to head to show who is best. HALF the league is not elite.

But more playoff teams equals more revenue due to likely more interest from participating teams fans. If your team is in it, you will watch it. Maybe someday it'll be a single game elimination contest for all 32 teams and everybody gets a trophy!

I am not a bandwagon team, but I really think I'll stop watching this sport soon after Brady/Belichick retire. Not cuz I don't want to sit through rebuilding years, but because the game will be SO changed by then I simply won't want to watch it anymore. It's almost like that now and trending in the wrong direction

Hopefully his ideas will be shot down, but I doubt it. The owners love him

[/QUOTE]

Jets fans will love this.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

knowing he is all about the money, that being said and acknowledged, he is doing an outstanding job of it.

He has publicly stated what he wants to do;

-make the NFL(the owners) more money

-make the game safer

-punish the players that break the law

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

"Follow the money!" is his motto. Or, is it "Show me teh money!"

Adding more teams to the playoff mix will only water down the NFL product. The only ointerest it would generate would be if that 8-7 team can get it's 9th win and qualify. If going to 7 teams per conference, we'd see the #3 seeds getting a 1st round Bye. So much for playing for playoff positioning in early to mid December. Finish 2 games back of the #2? Not to worry, we'll keep you home, too. 

Nothing says Mirror The NBA or NHL like having .500 teams in your playiffs. Great achievement for a season's worth of work.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Breaking News: Goodell to expand playoffs to 24 teams, the Jets still to miss out every year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

A Pats blown game in September vs the Cardinals wouldn't hurt them in Goddell's vision, as they would still get a #3 seed. But, as a Pats fan, would we settle for this kind of a loss as a, say, JESTS! or Bengals fan would?

Keep it at 5 teams and stay above the "Everyone Plays, Everyone Wins!" mentality of teh NBA or NHL.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid you're right. Expanding the play-offs could potentially damage the popularilty of the game. How? The best thing about the NFL is that every regular season game has meaning. Take that away, and, like the NHL or NBA, the regular season will be rendered meaningless...and no one will really pay attention until the play-offs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Favors fraud mediocre teams like 8-8 Arizona team, 9-7 jints... Etc.... That made playoffs in current format.

Definitely don't need more flukey lucky teams winding up in the super bowl.  The year Arizona got in pats were 11-5 and didn't.  Hey goodell,  fix THAT.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell listens to a question during a news conference after the NFL owners meeting, Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2012, in Irving, Texas. Goodell said he "fundamentally disagrees" with former league boss Paul Tagliabue's decision not to discipline players in the New Orleans Saints bounty

Summing up the resume:

2006 ....  Started Thursday games ...

2007....  Screwed patriots in taping violation.

2008-2011... Screwed  players with excessive fines for football plays.

2012...  screws teams by forcing Thursday night games on 3 days rest. 

2012...  Despised by 90% of players and fans.

2012...  b!tch slapped by former commish tagliabue.

Other than that...  great job , Rog.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

What else can I say. This dude is clearly on a mission to put his name on the NFL. This is the same idiot who believes that because the fans don't want preseason games, they must want an 18 game schedule. This is the same idiot that talks all this talk about player safety, yet games are being played on Thursday with players getting three games rest and he also wants an 18 game schedule. Roger Goodell needs to go! Period! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Favors fraud mediocre teams like 8-8 Arizona team, 9-7 jints... Etc.... That made playoffs in current format.

Definitely don't need more flukey lucky teams winding up in the super bowl.  The year Arizona got in pats were 11-5 and didn't.  Hey goodell,  fix THAT.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell listens to a question during a news conference after the NFL owners meeting, Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2012, in Irving, Texas. Goodell said he "fundamentally disagrees" with former league boss Paul Tagliabue's decision not to discipline players in the New Orleans Saints bounty

Summing up the resume:

[/QUOTE]

Seatle won their division couple of years back with 7-9 record and won a playoff game that year...

You need to understand he doesnt care if he is well liked, that is not his job. His job is too make the owners money, and he is douing that very well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid you're right. Expanding the play-offs could potentially damage the popularilty of the game. How? The best thing about the NFL is that every regular season game has meaning. Take that away, and, like the NHL or NBA, the regular season will be rendered meaningless...and no one will really pay attention until the play-offs.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. Much as I love the NBA and MLB, the first quarter to a half of the season is kind of meaningless due to the great number of games that have to be played. The NFL is it's own thing! Sheriff Goodell still doesn't realize that! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Summing up the resume:

[/QUOTE]

Seatle won their division couple of years back with 7-9 record and won a playoff game that year...

You need to understand he doesnt care if he is well liked, that is not his job. His job is too make the owners money, and he is douing that very well.

[/QUOTE]

Glad you're cool with that.  Congrats.  You're in the minority by far...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Summing up the resume:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Glad you're cool with that.  Congrats.  You're in the minority by far...

[/QUOTE]

Yes I know I am in the minority. But it seems that the majority doesnt quite understand what Goodells job is. If they did, they would understand he is doing a great job.

You listed his "resume" but left out all the important points of his resume.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I guess the important things you refer to must be things like ... Well why not just list them.

I know that goodell represents the owners but he also represents the game in a larger role than your description.  This role protects all interests not just profits.  It means having an understanding of fans not just as people with cash in their pockets to hand over.

Really...  He is awful.  He is a lawyer by training, and egotistical by nature.  Tagliabue is a great comparison.  you can just tell that he has more of an open mind toward the big picture.  And now goodell is bad mouthing him after appointing him.  You can't make this stuff up.  Classic case of myopic tunnel vision.

You're right that owners may not care in their insulated worlds as long as they get more money out of his maneuverings, oh and if you're irsay as long as he doesn't investigate their tanking a season so blatantly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

I guess the important things you refer to must be things like ... Well not just lust them.

I know that goodell represents the owners but he also represents the game in a larger role than your description.  This role protects all interests not just profits.  It means having an understanding of fans not just as people with cash in their pockets to hand over.

Really...  He is awful.  He is a lawyer by training, and egotistical by nature.  Tagliabue is a great comparison.  you can just tell that he has more of an open mind toward the big picture.  And now goodell is bad mouthing him after appointing him.  You can't make this stuff up.  Classic case of myopic tunnel vision.

You're right that owners may not care in their insulated worlds as long as they get more money out of his maneuverings, oh and if you're irsay as long as he doesn't investigate their tanking a season so blatantly.

[/QUOTE]

If we are discussing resume, my assumption is that the NBA, NHL and MLB would take him in a second as commish..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I guess the important things you refer to must be things like ... Well not just lust them.

[/QUOTE]

If we are discussing resume, my assumption is that the NBA, NHL and MLB would take him in a second as commish..

[/QUOTE]

Those are much easier jobs...  He'd be fine for the NBA.  Or MLB.  NHL needs a hockey guy like claude julien... Cept I like him as bruins coach...

Sections
Shortcuts