Gostkowski = Disaster waiting to happen.

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Gostkowski = Disaster waiting to happen.

Adam V made it no secret that he was upset with being franchised the previous year instead of getting a long term deal. He didn't even give the Patriots the chance to match Indy's offer.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/08/10/vinatieri_shunned_patriots/?page=1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ghost is 14/16 in his playoff career.

Yeah...disaster.

Sorry if someone already cited this, I wasn't going to bother reading through a thread so off base, just wanted to throw this out there.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody mentioned this. That's pretty good.

But he's 0-1 in last second field goals. He needs more such opportunities.

I don't buy the lack-of-trust argument, he wouldn't be on the team if so.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

You guys need to learn how to prune your replies.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Would be a much cooler nickname if he was a DB or RB rather than a kicker.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

It happened, let it go. Belichek will cut him if it happens more often. One of the reasons Ghost does not face these situations that often/ever is because the offense has been great since he arrived. They almost never lose for goodness sakes and they constantly are blowing teams out. I'm more mad with the decision to not get more yards. Woodhead had just scored on a 30 yard td run. The Cardinals were on their heels. It has never been Bill's style to be passive so I do not know what he was thinking. Big mistake and it cost them.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It happened, let it go. Belichek will cut him if it happens more often. One of the reasons Ghost does not face these situations that often/ever is because the offense has been great since he arrived. They almost never lose for goodness sakes and they constantly are blowing teams out. I'm more mad with the decision to not get more yards. Woodhead had just scored on a 30 yard td run. The Cardinals were on their heels. It has never been Bill's style to be passive so I do not know what he was thinking. Big mistake and it cost them.

[/QUOTE]

yeah and the other mistake that will cost them is the continued cr*pping on Welker

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I defended Welker on another post. Only in NE do they hate Ted Williams, Bill Russell, Tom Brady, Rajon Rondo and perhaps now Wes Welker. I am not worried yet. If the Patriots defense can play like it has against the better QB's than the team will still be super bowl contenders with a less proficient offense than in recent years. The Giants have not beaten the Patriots because of Manning (though he has been excellant) but because their defense has dominated the Patriots' offensive line.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jh13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

seriously, Gostowski is one of the best kickers in the NFL.  Dude with 4 FGs with 2 at 50+ and he does this regularly.  He might not have Vin's "resume" at crunch time but Gostkowski is normally reliable.  

The Pats treated a 42 yarder as though it was a chip shot...just ran down the clock, didn't try and get closer.  How many teams do that?  That should tell you all you need to know about the kicker.  

[/QUOTE]

What ot tells you is that his chances of making a 42 yarder are about the same as making a 30 yarder. In other words, he's a 500 pound gorilla kicker. If it's straight. it's good.

[/QUOTE]

if its straight, its good...that pretty much sums up all FG attempts..  He's not trying to weave the ball through obstacles, fire hoops, or curve the thing.  There is a reason that many teams will run a play to center the ball.  Allows the kicker to kick the ball straight.

The longer ones are harder because the smallest mistake is magnified so the fact that they treat a 42 yarder like a 30 yarder is because he kicks them straight with enough leg.  500 lb gorilla's can't do that...they are always off balance on their pivot foot and shank them hard nine times out of ten.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah...disaster.

Sorry if someone already cited this, I wasn't going to bother reading through a thread so off base, just wanted to throw this out there.

[/QUOTE]

also, has the highest FB % for the Pats all-time.  and for those saying BB doesn't draft kickers, he drafted both Gost and Zoltan in rounds 4 and 5 respectively which is higher than where most teams draft kickers (notable except being the Raiders).  Both were considered the best in the draft and BB went for them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yeah...disaster.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody mentioned this. That's pretty good.

But he's 0-1 in last second field goals. He needs more such opportunities.

I don't buy the lack-of-trust argument, he wouldn't be on the team if so.

[/QUOTE]

um no.

2006 with one minute on the clock, hits a 31 yarder to win a playoff game.

2010 overtime field goal for the win

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I have defended Ghost here but wasn't the 2006 game tied at the time. There is more pressure when you are down, just ask the Raven's kicker.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

This thread is a typical example of Babe's pink helmet fan view. The guy has been a solid kicjker for a couple of yeras and he screws up once ( after keeping the team in the game with 51 and 53 yarders ) and all of sudden Babe 'always never liked him'.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah and the other mistake that will cost them is the continued cr*pping on Welker

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I defended Welker on another post. Only in NE do they hate Ted Williams, Bill Russell, Tom Brady, Rajon Rondo and perhaps now Wes Welker. I am not worried yet. If the Patriots defense can play like it has against the better QB's than the team will still be super bowl contenders with a less proficient offense than in recent years. The Giants have not beaten the Patriots because of Manning (though he has been excellant) but because their defense has dominated the Patriots' offensive line.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you live but I don't know anyone who hates the players you mention.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

I have never had any faith in this guy. The sooner he is off this team, the better.

RESPONSE: I tend to agree. Kickers are paid to make the types off kicks Gostkowski missed. You can't have a choke artist as a kicker. The Ghost today was like a RB, who runs for over 100 yards, but fumbles twice. A RB who fumbles is worthless...and a PK who can't make make-able last second FGs is, likewise, worthless. This discussion goes hand in hand with my previous post, below:

"If you want to draw comparisons, how 'bout comparing Adam Vinatieri to Gostkowski. The 39 year old Adam booted a 53 yard FG yesterday at the buzzer, giving the Colts a 20-17 win over the Vikings. Meanwhile, The Ghost choked a 42 yarder, costing the Pats their game. You have to wonder whether the Pats would have won at least two more SBs, had they chosen to pay Adam:

1.)     In 2006, Vinatieri led the Colts by the Ravens in windy, rainy Baltimore with 5 FGs in the AFC divisional round. Without him, the Colts never would have advanced to play the Pats in the AFC title game: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270113033;

2.)     In 2007, the Giants edged the Pats, 17-14. Do you remember when, on their first series of the second half, BB passed on a 49 yard FG in a dome...choosing instead to go for it on 4th and 13? If the Pats still had Adam, BB wouldn't have thought twice, and the Pats would have taken a 10-7 lead:  http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=280203017&period=3;

3.)     In 2012, Week Two, Vinatieri beats the Vikings on a last second 53 yard FG...while Pats' PK Stephen Gostkowski shanks a 42 yarder, to lose to the Cards: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=320916011 "  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It is simply astonishing that the kicker can miss the winning kick from a distance he hits about 3/4 of the time to lose the game, but somehow somebody else is more to blame than him in the mind of some. It is fascinating how the football fan's mind works sometimes. It is reminiscent of players being excused for dropping the Lombardi trophy because the catch wasn't easy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]

It is simply astonishing that the kicker can miss the winning kick from a distance he hits about 3/4 of the time to lose the game, but somehow somebody else is more to blame than him in the mind of some. It is fascinating how the football fan's mind works sometimes. It is reminiscent of players being excused for dropping the Lombardi trophy because the catch wasn't easy.

[/QUOTE]

That was a bad miss, very telling imo.. The pressure got to him on that one. I can't remember a kick that he's ever had to make that meant winning or losing a game in the final seconds. He's kicked a winner when they were tied before but there's much more pressure when you know that if you miss you lose. I can't say that I trust him with a game on the line.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

To the OP....You have no clue do you. You are so impulsive and clueless. You really have no clue. So here is your Troll thread...troll it up. You want a guy off the team because he missed one field goal at the end of the second game of the season. Well if that's the case. BYE BYE Gronk who blew the game winning touchdown. BYE BYE Gronk for dropping 2 more. Bye bye Lloyd for dropping 80% of the passes thrown to him. BYE BYE Brady for over throwing every wide open deep ball this season.

Seriously add some common sense to your thinking.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

you are over reacting! He made 4 long kicks today, 2 of which were over 50 yards.  Sadly he missed the shorter one at the end but he is still one of the best kickers in the NFL

[/QUOTE]

NEVER liked this guy. He is a disaster waiting to happen. Today he happened. He will again.

[/QUOTE]

OK - so YOU never liked this guy. Whether YOU like(d) him or not he has been great on KOs and solid on FGs and extra points including having a good range. He missed this one. It cost the game. It happens. I for ONE, like him. And have always liked him. If he misses another with the game on the line you can crow. But his body of work is what I am most concerned with. And I do not think he is a choke waiting to happen. Everyone misses one now and then. Even TB (I do not need to remind anyone of his errors - few though they are).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The reason this offense works is because of Tom Brady.  If they had just put the ball in his hands at some point during the first 58 minutes instead of waiting until the last two minutes this game would have been over by halftime.

[/QUOTE]

Running was ineffective. Too much invested in it considering that. We lose.

Anybody else just want to never even see Woodhead on the field again?

[/QUOTE]

Woodhead finshed with 7 carries for 8 yards, Vareen had better be the real deal because this guy is a waste. 

[/QUOTE]

I remain - at the moment - a Vereen fan: full of hope and expectation. But his absence is wearing thin.

I am not down on Woodhead. Note the run he had that would have won the game... Even had he only got the 10 yars or so without a hold by Gronk (and maybe still a TD). He is good but he is limited - no power... not reliable as a blocker because of lack of size/strength. He is a role player. Role players are limited in some ways by definition.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Rerun85's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's no Adam V. He's good on kickoffs but there is no way I would want him kicking to win a playoff or Superbowl game.

[/QUOTE]

He has much more range for FG than Adam V. Much more. Adam V would not have made the 50+ yards FGs (plural in this game) that Gost hit. Given the choice I would take Gost overall... If I wanted a kick of 45 yards or less I would prefer Adam...