Gostkowski = Disaster waiting to happen.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Gostkowski = Disaster waiting to happen.

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ghost is 14/16 in his playoff career.

Yeah...disaster.

Sorry if someone already cited this, I wasn't going to bother reading through a thread so off base, just wanted to throw this out there.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody mentioned this. That's pretty good.

But he's 0-1 in last second field goals. He needs more such opportunities.

I don't buy the lack-of-trust argument, he wouldn't be on the team if so.

[/QUOTE]

You are so right

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to jh13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ghost is 14/16 in his playoff career.

Yeah...disaster.

Sorry if someone already cited this, I wasn't going to bother reading through a thread so off base, just wanted to throw this out there.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody mentioned this. That's pretty good.

But he's 0-1 in last second field goals. He needs more such opportunities.

I don't buy the lack-of-trust argument, he wouldn't be on the team if so.

[/QUOTE]

um no.

2006 with one minute on the clock, hits a 31 yarder to win a playoff game.

2010 overtime field goal for the win

[/QUOTE]

Even better...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It happened, let it go. Belichek will cut him if it happens more often. One of the reasons Ghost does not face these situations that often/ever is because the offense has been great since he arrived. They almost never lose for goodness sakes and they constantly are blowing teams out. I'm more mad with the decision to not get more yards. Woodhead had just scored on a 30 yard td run. The Cardinals were on their heels. It has never been Bill's style to be passive so I do not know what he was thinking. Big mistake and it cost them.

[/QUOTE]

yeah and the other mistake that will cost them is the continued cr*pping on Welker

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I defended Welker on another post. Only in NE do they hate Ted Williams, Bill Russell, Tom Brady, Rajon Rondo and perhaps now Wes Welker. I am not worried yet. If the Patriots defense can play like it has against the better QB's than the team will still be super bowl contenders with a less proficient offense than in recent years. The Giants have not beaten the Patriots because of Manning (though he has been excellant) but because their defense has dominated the Patriots' offensive line.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you live but I don't know anyone who hates the players you mention.

[/QUOTE]

I do not know ANYONE who hates ANY of them either. I do know many who love them... Not to marry.. You know... they like.. l-i-k-e them... you know...? Like... They really really like them...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is simply astonishing that the kicker can miss the winning kick from a distance he hits about 3/4 of the time to lose the game, but somehow somebody else is more to blame than him in the mind of some. It is fascinating how the football fan's mind works sometimes. It is reminiscent of players being excused for dropping the Lombardi trophy because the catch wasn't easy.

[/QUOTE]

Geez Babe... It happens to EVER kicker.. No kicker is perfect. None.. Not ONE... The only kicker who is perfect is the one who retires after they kick their first FG attempt succesfully.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

While I agree with the observations of some that TB did not have a good game he did come alive late when McDaniels put the ball squarely in his hands. He drove them down for scores. So while he made his mistakes (especially his poor deep balls) he was hurt by a weak O line play for much of the game, by the loss of Hern, by McD inability to adapt the game to that key loss, by two drops, and by some weakly run patterns... still he did nto ahve a good game... but in the end he came alive. I do not blame Brady...

I do point one fo the fingers at Gronk Those two penalties - either of them - could have made the difference. But I do not simply blame Gronk... the o line first... McD second... Gronk 3rd.. Gost 4th...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]

um no.

[/QUOTE]

You have a better memory than I do. He still needs more pressure-kick experience.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

um no.

[/QUOTE]

You have a better memory than I do. He still needs more pressure-kick experience.

[/QUOTE]

That is not a fault of Gost. Just a matter of opportunity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That is not a fault of Gost. Just a matter of opportunity.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. He has played in 90 games. That's only 3.3% of the time that a game comes down to a kick for Ghost. That speaks of Patriots' dominance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It is simply astonishing that the kicker can miss the winning kick from a distance he hits about 3/4 of the time to lose the game, but somehow somebody else is more to blame than him in the mind of some. It is fascinating how the football fan's mind works sometimes. It is reminiscent of players being excused for dropping the Lombardi trophy because the catch wasn't easy.

[/QUOTE]

Geez Babe... It happens to EVER kicker.. No kicker is perfect. None.. Not ONE... The only kicker who is perfect is the one who retires after they kick their first FG attempt succesfully.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying he has to be perfect. But missing a game winner from that distance in perfect conditions is extremely rare for the good ones. I was not surprised in the least that he missed it because he just isn't that good when you really need it. Wasn't surprised in the least.

Gostkowski has also has a greater portion of his FGs come from under 40 yards than the norm.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali9. Show neali9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It happened, let it go. Belichek will cut him if it happens more often. One of the reasons Ghost does not face these situations that often/ever is because the offense has been great since he arrived. They almost never lose for goodness sakes and they constantly are blowing teams out. I'm more mad with the decision to not get more yards. Woodhead had just scored on a 30 yard td run. The Cardinals were on their heels. It has never been Bill's style to be passive so I do not know what he was thinking. Big mistake and it cost them.

[/QUOTE]

yeah and the other mistake that will cost them is the continued cr*pping on Welker

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I defended Welker on another post. Only in NE do they hate Ted Williams, Bill Russell, Tom Brady, Rajon Rondo and perhaps now Wes Welker. I am not worried yet. If the Patriots defense can play like it has against the better QB's than the team will still be super bowl contenders with a less proficient offense than in recent years. The Giants have not beaten the Patriots because of Manning (though he has been excellant) but because their defense has dominated the Patriots' offensive line.

[/QUOTE]Where TF do you live? Everyone in NE, except crusty trolls and Mazz, Felger, and that fat sack of excement Tomasse - who needs to be boiled in the oil rendered from his own flesh after he has been kept alive despite 100 pounds of liposuction - loves Ted Williams, Bill Russell, Tom Brady and Rondo. 

We are all a little pissed at Welker, not for droppoing the pass in the SB - that happens, but for calling the pass a badly thrown ball. Doesn't matter if it is even true, you do not throw you 3SB QB under the bus. I think that being pissed over that comment includes the guys in the locker room, so Welker should man up and make some plays. Like a finger tip catch or a ball thrown behind him and stop expecting to be hit in stride with every throw when his QB is getting pummelled.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali9. Show neali9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

um no.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So the Pats need to stop outscoring their oponents by an average of 11 points to get him some more last second experience?

At 2:53 in the fouth quarter with the Pats up by 6 on the Ravens on a 4th and goal from the 1, the pats take a knee. Belechick explains later we need to get our kicker some more last second experience and if we make it a two possesion game, that is not going to happen. So, we are going to play soft on defense, hopefully our opponent scores a touchdown and we're losing by 1 with 47 seconds left and we can get our kicker some experience that he needs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You play 4  Quarters of Football, and have chance to win because Defense has a dynamic turnover. Yep, missed the FG, but should have never come down to one play that is never a sure thing.

More to Football Games than just a Missed FG.

[/QUOTE] Spot on. He did make 4 on the night. 2 from over 50. He kept them in the game. Crazy talk. The offense was the problem, not the kicker.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Disaster waiting to happen? What a joke and a very amusing thread, entertainment at its finest.

So he missed it! Not anywhere close to a Vanderajadt, whatever. Do you know more than Belichick? If Ghost was bad he would'nt be around these past years. A kick is a 3 point play in more ways than one. The snapper, holder, kicker all need to be in sync and besides that the Pats have already sufferered a blocked punt and don't ever think that was'nt on the kickers mind. If they did have another Timeout and saw the Cardinals D was set up in a bad mismatch for a blocked kick, I'm sure Belichick would have seen it and called a TO and made an adjustment. Timeouts are called to freeze the kicker in the endgame, why is that?

The FG kicker is always more of a goat than other chokes that throw Interceptions on the last play, fumbles, all of it. He just joins a a bunch of HOF'ers that have choked which includes guys like QBs, RB, WRs... fill in the blanks yourself.

Gostkowski joins countless amount of Great kickers who 'CHOKED'? The one I remember the most is the Jets against Chargers for the AFC title. After that game Curtis Martin was so pizzed he threw the kicker under the bus. Martins last chance to go to a SB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you live but I don't know anyone who hates the players you mention.

[/QUOTE]

You've obviously never read a book about Ted Williams or Bill Russel. Everything I've read (including his autobiography) makes me believe that Russel to this day still despises the city of Boston for the racism he faced back then. Maybe you are younger than me but I still remember Yaz and Jim Rice getting booed. Only the Bruins fans seem to love their superstars and wish them well when they leave.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do not know ANYONE who hates ANY of them either. I do know many who love them... Not to marry.. You know... they like.. l-i-k-e them... you know...? Like... They really really like them...

[/QUOTE]
    You guys all need to read about Ted Williams time in Boston. While he loved Yawkey and the Red Sox he despised the media and a lot of the fans (especially those who had seats down the left field line). The man was actually called a draft dodger in the Boston papers for goodness sakes before serving his country in 2 wars. You guys may love him but a lot of your grandparents didn't. Don't you remember how surprised he was when they named a section of freeway after him. Remember Williams was about stats while Dimaggio was about championships. Williams was considered the Peyton Manning of his day (before finally beating the Bears in the superbowl).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    You guys all need to read about Ted Williams time in Boston. While he loved Yawkey and the Red Sox he despised the media and a lot of the fans (especially those who had seats down the left field line). The man was actually called a draft dodger in the Boston papers for goodness sakes before serving his country in 2 wars. You guys may love him but a lot of your grandparents didn't. Don't you remember how surprised he was when they named a section of freeway after him. Remember Williams was about stats while Dimaggio was about championships. Williams was considered the Peyton Manning of his day (before finally beating the Bears in the superbowl).

[/QUOTE]

My father was born in 1917 and adored Williams. Sure, he had enemies in the press especially because he was outspoken. But the fans loved the guy. Just a few bad apples.

And the Manning analogy is inaccuarate. The Bosox problem all those years was poor pitching. Only in '46 did Williams get to the WS as Yankeee pitching made the difference hios entire career. Of course 5 years lost to serving his country put a massive dent into his career numbers. With those probable 2500 at bats missed he would have been without a doubt considered the greatest hitter of them all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You've obviously never read a book about Ted Williams or Bill Russel. Everything I've read (including his autobiography) makes me believe that Russel to this day still despises the city of Boston for the racism he faced back then. Maybe you are younger than me but I still remember Yaz and Jim Rice getting booed. Only the Bruins fans seem to love their superstars and wish them well when they leave.

[/QUOTE]

Boston boos everybody if they aren't getting it done. That doesn't mean they don't love them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not saying he has to be perfect. But missing a game winner from that distance in perfect conditions is extremely rare for the good ones. I was not surprised in the least that he missed it because he just isn't that good when you really need it. Wasn't surprised in the least.

[/QUOTE]

And yet you can't name a single other important kick he has missed.  Not one.  Do you know why?  Because he hasn't had one other big moment miss.  Sunday broke a streak of 38 consecutive 4th quarter field goals that Ghost had made.

FWIW, Adam V. missed a 28-yard chip shot vs. the Chargers in '07 with 1:29 to go, costing the Colts a 23-21 loss.  In a game vs Buffalo in '99, he missed a 33-yarder at the end of regulation, and a 44 yarder in OT during a 13-10 loss.  Versus KC the same year, his 32-yarder hit the upright as time expired in a 16-14 loss.

In summary, it happens to the greatest of them.  This is the irst time it's ever happened to Ghost.  Get over it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My father was born in 1917 and adored Williams. Sure, he had enemies in the press especially because he was outspoken. But the fans loved the guy. Just a few bad apples.

And the Manning analogy is inaccuarate. The Bosox problem all those years was poor pitching. Only in '46 did Williams get to the WS as Yankeee pitching made the difference hios entire career. Of course 5 years lost to serving his country put a massive dent into his career numbers. With those probable 2500 at bats missed he would have been without a doubt considered the greatest hitter of them all.

[/QUOTE]

I don't dispute Williams was great but if you read about it Williams did not like Boston and he was booed a lot. Of course the Red Sox problems back in the 40's was pitching. At the time Dimaggio was considered clutch while Williams was not. Modern stat analysis has long since proven that was wrong but read about it. Dimaggio was considered the winner while Williams was about numbers. Why did Dimaggio win the MVP award in a year where Williams won the triple crown? The answer is famous, because a Boston writer refused to put Williams on his ballet. I loved Yaz (I am too young to ever having seen Williams play) but I remember sitting in Fenway as a kid as he got booed. Yaz was my hero, I could not understand it, sure he had a couple down years but he won the triple crown only a few years before.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to neali9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So the Pats need to stop outscoring their oponents by an average of 11 points to get him some more last second experience?

At 2:53 in the fouth quarter with the Pats up by 6 on the Ravens on a 4th and goal from the 1, the pats take a knee. Belechick explains later we need to get our kicker some more last second experience and if we make it a two possesion game, that is not going to happen. So, we are going to play soft on defense, hopefully our opponent scores a touchdown and we're losing by 1 with 47 seconds left and we can get our kicker some experience that he needs.

[/QUOTE]

That's not quite what I had in mind but that would do it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

He has much more range for FG than Adam V. Much more. Adam V would not have made the 50+ yards FGs (plural in this game) that Gost hit. Given the choice I would take Gost overall... If I wanted a kick of 45 yards or less I would prefer Adam...

RESPONSE: Obviously, you don't know what you're talking about. Adam hit a 53 yarder in the final seconds last Sunday to beat the Vikings, at about the same time that Gostkowski choked his 42 yarder.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Babe is a great example of the know nothing 'pink helmet' fan. One screw up and you're gone. Never mind that you've performed well before that and never mind that there's no better quality replacement waiting in the wings to step in. He always 'knew' Ghost was a problem.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Football, Brian Billick said the other night on the NFL network (he may have been quoting someone else) is not a game of perfection.  Unfortunately, there is a disconnect between a game where no one is or can be perfect and its fans, many of whom are perfect and never themselves make mistakes or fail in any aspect of their lives.  A lot of posters on this board are such perfect human beings.  Being perfect themselves, it is hard for them to tolerate imperfection in others. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Football, Brian Billick said the other night on the NFL network (he may have been quoting someone else) is not a game of perfection.  Unfortunately, there is a disconnect between a game where no one is or can be perfect and its fans, many of whom are perfect and never themselves make mistakes or fail in any aspect of their lives.  A lot of posters on this board are such perfect human beings.  Being perfect themselves, it is hard for them to tolerate imperfection in others.

[/QUOTE]

Good post.

Perspective is worth 80 IQ points.  Alan Kay

Sections
Shortcuts