Gostkowski "Elite"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Gostkowski

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How can you not consider his point production, which is the weightiest evidence you've posted supporting the claim that he is elite, a product (not of Tom Brady) but of the offense as a whole (Brady, Welker, Moss, Gronk, Ridley, Hernandez, Faulk, Edelman, and a whole cast) over the 8 seasons? They've likely scored more TDs in those 8 seasons than any other offense in an 8 season stretch. If he hadn't scored that much he would straight up stink.

He's been iffy the past few seasons, as Doug says above, but bounced back with an exceptional season last year. I don't consider any kicker 'elite' if the coach opts to go for it on 4th and long as often as Bill has as opposed to kicking 45+ yard FGs.

If he strings together a few more seasons like last season, I'd take the conversation up again.  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He's ranked 6th all time in kicking percentage playing half his games in a stadium not meant for kicking both in terms of the wind and as the days get longer the cold. Even with the high powered offense giving him tons of points that also means he has a lot more chances to miss kicks too yet he's still in the top 6 all time.

As for BB trusting at 45+ on average Vinatieri kicked as many 40-49 and 50+ on a yearly average as Ghost does and he actually missed more often. If you considered Vinatieri elite like the rest of us then you have to consider the same for Ghost. 

If you were wondering about the playoffs he's over 90% success rate so he still gets it done in the post season too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Ghost had a great season last year but I could strangle him for his missed kick against the Cardinals in 2012.  Wasn't that a 42 yarder? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Where is the quote of him being called "elite"? He was awful in 2011 and 2012, by the way. He had a nice year last year.

His accuracy has at times forced BB to not use him from 45 and out, which has lost SBs or even playoff games.

I hope he can continue to build of his season last year.

[/QUOTE]

Think there might have been a reason the Pats got a new holder?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LOL.  He's more "elite" than Edelman........LMAO :)

What tard would think Edelman is "elite" after one solid season?

[/QUOTE]

Nfl scout matt williamson.  That'S who, moron.  You are as dumb as a bag of rocks or cannot read. Or both.  Lol

Anyone saying welker is elite but edelman is not because welker blocked edelman from playing in the slot here for 4 years, rides the shortbus 5 days a week.

Congrats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

As crazy as it sounds, one Position in the NFL, you get better as you get older. The whole thing about FG's is accuracy, not distance. You have to find out as HC, where it is almost automatic. At game conditions, which is weather.

Remember, you miss you can change Field position, in a heartbeat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nfl scout matt williamson.  That'S who, moron.  You are as dumb as a bag of rocks or cannot read. Or both.  Lol

Anyone saying welker is elite but edelman is not because welker blocked edelman from playing in the slot here for 4 years, rides the shortbus 5 days a week.

Congrats.

[/QUOTE]

You mean ESPN scout and writer, Matt Williamson. Williamson hasn't been an NFL scout since 2005. 

Also, Williamson called Edelman a "premier slot receiver" which may or may not be the same thing as "elite."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You know I'm not sure. I tried looking it up but the closest anyone has come to saying Edelman was elite was in an ESPN article which the writer quoted somebody who said he had a great year. I think we can all agree he did have a great year but that's a far stretch to go from great year to elite. Funny though that article mentions Brady as elite and without Gronk they don't have a #1 receiving threat. Hard to be elite if you aren't even considered a #1 receiving threat. But I digress, hopefully Edelman can repeat this year with some help from other receivers because as the article points out you can't count on Amendola. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Congrats.

[/QUOTE]

You mean ESPN scout and writer, Matt Williamson. Williamson hasn't been an NFL scout since 2005. 

Also, Williamson called Edelman a "premier slot receiver" which may or may not be the same thing as "elite."

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Oh Rusty antics. Hard for Welker to block Edelman when Edelman was riding the IR bus the entire time. Unless Rusty is suggesting Welker was the one who injured Edelman.

Jeez Rusty questions BB on playing Brady, Ghost, and now holding Edelman back by playing Welker over him. The amount of times Rusty questions BB over some of his biggest players you would think Rusty hates the guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Congrats.

[/QUOTE]

This is priceless. 1 nfl scout and 1 good year make Edelman elite? Yet, Ghost 's stats, doing so over an extended period of time, 6th best of all time in terms of % mean nothing because his contract is too big, or he was cupcaked as you like to put it. 

I guess the truth is whatever you say it is, or whomever supports your crazy ideas. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Congrats.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Oh Rusty antics. Hard for Welker to block Edelman when Edelman was riding the IR bus the entire time. Unless Rusty is suggesting Welker was the one who injured Edelman.

Jeez Rusty questions BB on playing Brady, Ghost, and now holding Edelman back by playing Welker over him. The amount of times Rusty questions BB over some of his biggest players you would think Rusty hates the guy.

[/QUOTE]

He secretly does. If you follow his logic, everything he says is just the opposite. Kind of like costanza. He says he hates Brady, he loves him...he says he loves bb, he hates him. Ghost not being elite or whatever, just the opposite. Just take everything he says here as opposite to the way he really feels. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As crazy as it sounds, one Position in the NFL, you get better as you get older. The whole thing about FG's is accuracy, not distance. You have to find out as HC, where it is almost automatic. At game conditions, which is weather.

Remember, you miss you can change Field position, in a heartbeat.

[/QUOTE]

He has killed the team with his misses especially in 2011 or 2012. He was good in 2009 and 2013 but being a kicker on a high scoring offense does not mean he is a top flight place kicker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ghost had a great season last year but I could strangle him for his missed kick against the Cardinals in 2012.  Wasn't that a 42 yarder? 

[/QUOTE]

FYI, that was the only the third kick Gostkowski had missed in the 4th quarter or overtime in his career (he had been 42/44 prior to that; he is currently 72/75).  It was also, if I recall correctly, right after a bone-headed Gronk holding penalty away from the ball on a would-be game-winning touchdown run.  And Ghost was the only reason the team was even in the game at that point, as he was 4-4 on field goals prior (including 53-, 51- and 46-yarders).  There were 53 reasons why the Patriots lost that day, and Ghost was around #53 on the list.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Rusty thinks anyone who is not perfect is not worthy of BB's coaching!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FYI, that was the only the third kick Gostkowski had missed in the 4th quarter or overtime in his career (he had been 42/44 prior to that; he is currently 72/75).  It was also, if I recall correctly, right after a bone-headed Gronk holding penalty away from the ball on a would-be game-winning touchdown run.  And Ghost was the only reason the team was even in the game at that point, as he was 4-4 on field goals prior (including 53-, 51- and 46-yarders).  There were 53 reasons why the Patriots lost that day, and Ghost was around #53 on the list.

[/QUOTE]

Well said.  Ghost did nail all his other field goals so I can cut him some slack on that one.  I'm one of the few who didn't think Gronkowski was holding on that Danny Woodhead TD run.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said.  Ghost did nail all his other field goals so I can cut him some slack on that one.  I'm one of the few who didn't think Gronkowski was holding on that Danny Woodhead TD run.

[/QUOTE]

Of course it was not holding.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I googled "Gostkowski Elite" and all I found was this dumb thread.  :)

Good stuff everyone. It's good to see you back zbellino. I knew this topic would trigger some good debate.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Arrington one of the best at his position is a complete and utter joke. Come on Rusty even if he is a good slot corner and I don't think he is, when he goes outside he may as well not be there....this is the NFL at the end of the day, you can't really pay a CB to play solely in the slot it's a wasted roster spot especially when you're as light as we've been in the secondary the past couple of years. If you need proof BB didn't trust him to play outside last year when Talib was out...he had a rookie do it instead in Logan Ryan. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Ghost is a top 5 kicker in the league as of last year. If he keeps it going then i'm very happy he's the teams kicker. Don't see what the issue here is, he is what he is and he's always been the same but at least you know what you're getting. Kickers seem to be extremely temperamental in the NFL having great seasons followed by horrible ones in comparison. David Akers being a prime example, also Billy Cundiff was a great kicker until that AFC championship game. I'd rather stick with the devil we know at kicker any day

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Ghost has been great.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Arrington one of the best at his position is a complete and utter joke. Come on Rusty even if he is a good slot corner and I don't think he is, when he goes outside he may as well not be there....this is the NFL at the end of the day, you can't really pay a CB to play solely in the slot it's a wasted roster spot especially when you're as light as we've been in the secondary the past couple of years. If you need proof BB didn't trust him to play outside last year when Talib was out...he had a rookie do it instead in Logan Ryan. 

[/QUOTE]

Most teams play well over 50% in a nickel base.  You cannot be this stupid.

Logan Ryan was ranked as one of the press CBs in the NCAA as a senior, same as Dennard in 2011 at Nebraska, which is why each while smaller, succeed on the perimeter.  Arrington isn't one to get away with being smaller on the outside.

Covering a slot WR in today's game is a major responsibility and a major need.  It's called the Star position for a reason.  He's a great tackler and moves superb laterally. He took out Cruz in SB 46 and dominated Welkie last year. In fact, when he's in the middle and not pushed outside, he thrives and eliminates a team's slot WR.

He's easily on of the best in the conference and possibly the entire league.

You simply don't get it because you're a kid.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So because he doesn't get what Arrington has done for this team, he's a dumb kid? For all you know he's a 65YO man.

Using age to invalidate someone's stupidity is stupid

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So because he doesn't get what Arrington has done for this team, he's a dumb kid? For all you know he's a 65YO man.

Using age to invalidate someone's stupidity is stupid

[/QUOTE]

I remember when I was 23. I thought I knew everything too. I just didn't plaster it all over the internet. Believe it or not, you can learn from people who are older and have more experiences.

What he typed proves he doesn't get it and he showed immaturity.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Gostkowski is as "meh" as they come.

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]
    I remember when I was 23. I thought I knew everything too. I just didn't plaster it all over the internet. Believe it or not, you can learn from people who are older and have more experiences.

What he typed proves he doesn't get it and he showed immaturity.  

[/QUOTE]

Yes, agreed but every time someone (me at times) doesn't agree with you, you throw out age and how that Is what trumps that persons argument.

I'm just saying its not always age, just being stupid.

But anyway, yes his point was garb