Gostkowski out for the year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adco1212. Show adco1212's posts

Gostkowski out for the year

From Twitter:
    Mike Reiss
    Patriots place kicker Stephen Gostkowski on season-ending IR. Tough blow. Thigh injury

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Gostkowski out for the year

Absolutely bizarre.  A quad tear?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: Gostkowski out for the year:
    [QUOTE]Absolutely bizarre.  A quad tear?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Reiss doesn't say, but that sounds like it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4687184/pats-put-gostkowski-on-season-ending-ir

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I'll say this: Graham is the best out there and has experience. It's not like this guy will be terrible.

He can kick.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

Graham has a pretty good leg, nice pick-up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Its is what it is..........games will not be cancelled....improvise, overcome and adapt.....he doesn't have to play ....just kick.........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I hate to bash Gostkowski, but does anyone think he is a little overrated?

His 40-49 yarders are not gimmes and with his leg, his 50+ yarders never seem to happen.

Look at his splits in recent years. He's good, but I don't get why people think he is one of the best. 

He lost the game in Denver last year.  BB doesn't usually go with him for 45-50 yarders either.

He's good, but a little overrated, in my opinion. His kick offs are great.

He sort of reminds me of Janikowksi. Big leg, not necessarily clutch and overrated.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Starting to wonder why Graham was out of work. Could be financials. 

Go check out his numbers. Better than you think.

He had a very good 2008, if not great.  Kicks well on the road, too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

[QUOTE]I hate to bash Gostkowski, but does anyone think he is a little overrated? His 40-49 yarders are not gimmes and with his leg, his 50+ yarders never seem to happen. Look at his splits in recent years. He's good, but I don't get why people think he is one of the best.  He lost the game in Denver last year.  BB doesn't usually go with him for 45-50 yarders either. He's good, but a little overrated, in my opinion. His kick offs are great. He sort of reminds me of Janikowksi. Big leg, not necessarily clutch and overrated.

i also believe he is slightly overrated. His kickoffs are the best, but his FGs are no gimmes.  and yes BB has been reluctant to kick 45-55 yard FGs with him. Still we will miss his booming kick offs into the end zone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Never more so apparent than in Super XLI. On like a 4th and 12, instead of kicking the long FG, we go for it.

Yikes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

And he knows Heinz field like the back of his hand....another great pick  up by BB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ghost and Graham are both good FG kickers. 

Ghost is a better kick-off guy, which needs to be accounted for. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Z, so what does the team do to account for the shorter/more inconsistent kickoffs? Does that change how we play defense going forward, assuming the other team will be getting slightly better field position?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Good thing graham was avalible. And yes this does mean special teams would have to adjust their kick off converage. I don't think it will be a big deal since you can't rely on every kick going into the end zone anyway. I'd rather a kick be fielded on the 10 or 15 yard line than have the ball constantly go out of bounds.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Ghost is good and we will miss him - as we miss brothers Faulk, Bodden, Warren and Freddy Toe Taylor.  We keep on truckin though, on to the 9-7 promised land for this season.  I see a good future ahead, however, a kingdom of light at the end of the long troll-tunnel!

May Randy come home in 2011, along with many great draft choices!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think once he couldn't play for one game, BB was almost forced to put him on IR to preserve a roster slot.  The only alternative would have been to carry two kickers for a few games, which would have meant cutting someone else.  Or you could cut Gostkowski--but that would be highly undesirable because he's too good a kicker to lose.

Which gets me to my second point:  I don't think Gost is overrated at all.  As a kick-off guy he's one of the best in the league and that's hugely important to the Pats because of the field position advantage it gives them (and because it reduces the chance of kick-off returns for TDs).  As a field-goal guy, he's better than average--maybe not the absolute most reliable or most accurate from a distance, but certainly in the top half of the league.  When you combine his great kick-off skills and better than average field-goal skills, you get a top-five kicker in my opinion.  The Pats had to keep this guy, which is probably why he's on IR now.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]I hate to bash Gostkowski, but does anyone think he is a little overrated? His 40-49 yarders are not gimmes and with his leg, his 50+ yarders never seem to happen. Look at his splits in recent years. He's good, but I don't get why people think he is one of the best.  He lost the game in Denver last year.  BB doesn't usually go with him for 45-50 yarders either. He's good, but a little overrated, in my opinion. His kick offs are great. He sort of reminds me of Janikowksi. Big leg, not necessarily clutch and overrated.

Ghost could get it done.  Yes he missed some but most of the time it was money in the bank from at least 45 out.  However, what we may miss will be his contribution this year to the field position game.  Those kick offs into the end zone or the stands were very important.

What can you tell me/us about Graham's kick off ability? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Nothing, really. I know of Graham only that he was a fill in for Kasay in Carolina a while back who did well and then ended up earning a starting job out of it for years in Cincy.

He was poor on the road in 2009, but good at it in 2008.

He had a real good 2008 and hits his 50+ yarders, which is nice.

Compare his 40-40 range to Gostkowskis or his 50+s.  I'd argue Graham is actually stronger in these areas.

I don't think we'll see much better than Ghost on kick offs, though. He and Janikowski are pretty much the best at it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=3504

All in all, not as bad as it appears.  The new L. Snapper practiced with Graham in Ravens camp and you have to figure this guy will be better than Ingram.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Gotta love some of the people on this forum.  Moss was great when here, BB gets rid of him and its all, yea Moss was overated not that good. 

Ghost gets hurt, oh yea no big deal he is OVERRATED.

Same thing with Branch, bum hold out good riddance he was overated.  Then he comes back.  OH yea great to have em back.

Same story with Ty Law, Lawyor Milloy, Seymour, Samual, on and on.

Watch out Mr. Brady, all the people singing your praises on here now will be calling you OVERRATED before its all said and done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I knew someone like you would read too much into my comment.  Go away, NY troll.

I specifically stated I was not trying to bash Gostkowski.  He's good, he's just not elite.

People like you are just miserable losers.  Find a hole or a woman, unless you like men.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta love some of the people on this forum.  Moss was great when here, BB gets rid of him and its all, yea Moss was overated not that good.  Ghost gets hurt, oh yea no big deal he is OVERRATED. Same thing with Branch, bum hold out good riddance he was overated.  Then he comes back.  OH yea great to have em back. Same story with Ty Law, Lawyor Milloy, Seymour, Samual, on and on. Watch out Mr. Brady, all the people singing your praises on here now will be calling you OVERRATED before its all said and done.
    Posted by Patsman2[/QUOTE]

Did you read this stuff somewhere or do you just make it up? Moss was great but not this year. That is possible you know.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Fuc* what a bummer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I admit that I don't/didn't have warm fuzzy feelings when Ghost trots out for a FG.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Oh one more thing.  I love how you go from tightness one day to IR the next.  The paranoid secrecy that cloaks this organization is beyond juvenal and getting old.

Sections
Shortcuts