Gostkowski: yes or no?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Gostkowski: yes or no?

Some fans think he should be replaced, yet Belichick said today, “I have confidence that he’s one of the best kickers in the league.”

I say keep him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Gostkowski: yes or no?

A big yes for me, he is solid !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think he's here to stay.  There's no competition for his slot, so BB must have confidence in him.  Anyone see the holds on his missed kicks?  Maybe those misses weren't his fault? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I am not a big fan of Ghost anymore..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He didn't have any confidence during Super Bowl 42 and I haven't seen anything out of the guy since to justify him keeping his job this long.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .    I suppose if there were an inordinate number of qualified kickers just lying about with nothing to do you could go ahead and jettison a guy who probably isn't as good or as bad as both ends of the spectrum would have you believe, but here I'd offer the same advice I give to those stubborn people who annually insist that the time has come for Darth Hoodie to ride off into the sunset . . .

Who you gonna replace him with?

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't like him. It's not that he is terrible, he just isn't good. Anything over 40 is a total risk, over 45 pray for rain, 50+ just forget about it and punt.

It's obvious BB likes him ... he hasn't brought anyone into camp. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

He is nothing special.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think he's here to stay.  There's no competition for his slot, so BB must have confidence in him.  Anyone see the holds on his missed kicks?  Maybe those misses weren't his fault? 

There is that. It wasn't weather ... I ran a post a week back tracking his misses, only one was windy, none were cold, and none were rainy/snowy. 

Perhaps, as well, he works synergistically with special teams angling the kick. Perhaps BB is fine with an OK kicker who is a team player in a really (always) weak kicker market?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I'm just as concerned about his KOs as FGs.  On the KOs he should be able to put the ball to the back of the endzone at will, barring wind in his face.  He is so inconsistent, it's disturbing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

He's just average, maybe below that. Really surprising they didn't bring in any comp for him but they did for Mesko, who is a top tier punter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Does anyone have stats showing how he ranks against other kickers as far as kicks made percentage? maybe over the last couple years?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

Does anyone have stats showing how he ranks against other kickers as far as kicks made percentage? maybe over the last couple years?

Last year he was 20th at 82.9%.

2011: 14th, 84.8%

2010: 30th, 76.9%

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

There isn't anyone out there worth getting.  He is one of the better kickers but I have lost trust in him.  BB says He is good, that there is more to the missed kicks then Gostkowski.. holding, snap, etc I assume.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

Ghost made 9/11 from 40-49 yards in 2011. That ranked 15th by percentage.

Ghost made 9/13 from 40-49 yards in 2012. That ranked 27th by percentage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I hope we see more of the two point conversion. There will be a game this season, that we need a clutch FG, and Ghost will choke.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

There isn't anyone out there worth getting.  He is one of the better kickers but I have lost trust in him.  BB says He is good, that there is more to the missed kicks then Gostkowski.. holding, snap, etc I assume.

Maybe so, but why not bring in some competition?

Every year there's someone nobody ever heard of who is better than him. Last year Kai Forbath, Justin Tucker and Blair Walsh took jobs from older guys and were a whole lot better than Ghost.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Beichick touches on this subject in his conference call today . . .  

Q: What's your take on Stephen Gostkowski's field goal kicking so far this preseason? 

BB: Well, I think our overall field goal operation needs to be better, and he's a part of that, but so is the snapper and so is the holder. We've had three different snappers and two different holders in camp and in the preseason games. Again, it's part of the same discussion that we just had with the safeties: if you want to have multiple people ready, then multiple people have to work with each other. At some point we have to settle into whichever guys it is that we think are going to do most of the work this year at that position. As it relates to Steve specifically, I think he's had a good camp. He's worked hard and he's in good condition. He's kicked the ball well and hit the ball very solidly and consistently. I know that he'll continue to work hard to do everything that he can, and so will the other people involved in the operation – snapping and holding, however that turns out. I'm confident that he's one of the best kickers in the league. 

Q: Would you consider bringing another kicker in at this point? 

BB: As I've said many times before, I would consider doing anything that I think would help our team. I wouldn't rule anything in or out. If there is something that we can do that would help our football team, then as part of my job, that's what I try to do. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I worry over every kick. I would like a kicker I could have more confidence in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Last year he was 20th at 82.9%.

2011: 14th, 84.8%

2010: 30th, 76.9%

Thanks for posting that.....I know that I'd feel a little better with a guy that ranks in the the top 10 at the very least. Here we have one of the most successful teams in the last decade+.....and we have a kicker that could being the difference between winning & losing. I find it odd for BB to not bring in some competition with stats like this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

With Tom Brady as the QB, they shouldn't have to win with field goals very often.

If the kicker is average, and there isn't anyone out there better, well, I guess he'll do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

With Tom Brady as the QB, they shouldn't have to win with field goals very often.

If the kicker is average, and there isn't anyone out there better, well, I guess he'll do.

Facing Peyton Manning, sometimes it has to come down to a FG. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Everyone wants to sugarcoat it and not be blatantly honest about it. The guy sucks, he cost us 2 games last year! next thing you know BB will bring in CBs who can't cover or QBs who can't throw...

oh wait...-_-

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

He's just average, maybe below that. Really surprising they didn't bring in any comp for him but they did for Mesko, who is a top tier punter.

+1

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

Well . . .    I suppose if there were an inordinate number of qualified kickers just lying about with nothing to do you could go ahead and jettison a guy who probably isn't as good or as bad as both ends of the spectrum would have you believe, but here I'd offer the same advice I give to those stubborn people who annually insist that the time has come for Darth Hoodie to ride off into the sunset . . .

Who you gonna replace him with?

Yup.