Gostkowski: yes or no?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Gostkowski: yes or no?

Preseason games should be banned!  Season ticket holders are forced to take "free" preseason tickets with their packages, and the tickets certainly aren't worth their face value.

Tom Brady was about to get the Patriots within at least field goal range with a pass to an open Amendola, so suddenly he threw far, far behind Amendola on third down.  Fourth down on the 43 yard line.  Brady's only bad miss of the night kept Ghost from trying a field goal.

Next, Ghost had a 35 yard field goal lined up.  So what did the meticulously coached Patriots do?  Yep, 10 yard penalty on fourth down.  Now Ghost had a 45 yarder lined up.  So what did the meticulously coached Patriots do?  Yep, an additional 5 yard penalty on 4th down.  Now Ghost had a 50 yarder lined up. Ghost muffed it. 

At this point, every last one of the 32 NFL head coaches is running into the punter on fourth down, blowing kickoff coverages, lining up in the neutral zone on fourth down, doing every totally stupid thing possible that the commish won't come down on, to lose preseason games and lose them big if possible.  Give me an L !  "L!"  Give me an O! "O!" Give me an S !  "S!" Give me an E !  "E!"  What's that spell? "LOSE!" What's that spell? "LOSE!" What's that spell? "LOSE!!"

Right now the points count for zilch in reaching the playoffs, but they build up media expectations and draw the interest of rivals.  Give me one good reason why Ghost shouldn't deliberately miss a few on the coach's orders.  Ghost isn't going to miss many field goals when the points will actually help his team get into the playoffs. 

If every sports reporter didn't fear retaliation by the NFL they'd cover the obvious fraud in every preseason game.  They can't talk, but I will.  It's a gargantuan fraud driven by each coach's desire to win regular season games.  It's enforced by the NFL bureaucracy and enabled by Globe reporters who want to keep their jobs, among many other media scribes in the same position.  I for one don't need to enable this fraud.  Do you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm in agreement that if there were somone else out there who would be an improvement then by all means replace him.  Apparently there is not.  I, too, found it odd that there was competition for Mesko but not for Gostkowski.

I think G has the potential to be a top 5 kicker but in recent years has not shown that, for whatever reason, he can realize that potential.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Preseason games should be banned!  Season ticket holder are forced to take "free" preseason tickets with their packages, and the tickets certainly aren't worth their face value.

Tom Brady was about to get the Patriots within at least field goal range with a pass to an open Amendola, so suddenly he threw far, far behind Amendola on third down.  Fourth doen on the 43 yard line.  Brady's only bad miss of the night kept Ghost from trying a field goal.

Next, Ghost had a 35 yard field goal lined up.  So what did the meticulously coached Patriots do?  Yep, 10 yard penalty on fourth down.  Now Ghost had a 45 yarder lined up.  So what did the meticulously coached Patriots do?  Yep, an additional 5 yard penalty on 4th down.  Now Ghost had a 50 yarder lined up. Ghost muffed it. 

At this point, every last one of the 32 NFL head coaches is running into the kicker on fourth down, blowing kickoff coverages, lining up in the neutral zone on fourth down, doing every totally stupid thing possible that the commish won't come down on to lose preseason games.  Give me an L !  "L!"  Give me an O! "O!" Give me an S !  "S!" Give me an E !  "E!"  What's that spell? "LOSE!" What's that spell? "LOSE!" What's that spell? "LOSE!!"

Right now the points count for zilch in reaching the playoffs, but they build up media expectations and draw the interest of rivals.  Give me one good reason why Ghost shouldn't deliberately miss a few on the coach's orders.  Ghost isn't going to miss many field goals when the points will actually help his team get into the playoffs. 

If every sports reporter didn't fear retaliation by the NFL they'd cover the obvious fraud in every preseason game.  They can't talk, but I will.  It's a gargantuan fraud driven by each coach's desire to win regular season games.  It's enforced by the NFL bureaucracy and enabled by Globe reporters who want to keep their jobs, among many other media scribes in the same position.  I for one don't need to enable this fraud.  Do you?

No one told you that preseason games are intended for practice?  I don't see the preseason as any kind of fraud. It's just a practice session. 

As a season ticket holder, though, I think the games are a rip off.  The tickets aren't "free."  In fact, they cost the same as regular season tickets.  In my case, I pay $99 for four tickets to two preseason games, so basically $800.  And since I live in Toronto now, I don't bother buying a plane ticket to come back for those games--and no one wants to buy those tickets, so I usually just give them away (if anyone I trust wants them, which is often not the case, since they are played late at night during the workweek) or waste the $800 bucks.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I'm in agreement that if there were somone else out there who would be an improvement then by all means replace him.  Apparently there is not.  I, too, found it odd that there was competition for Mesko but not for Gostkowski.

I think G has the potential to be a top 5 kicker but in recent years has not shown that, for whatever reason, he can realize that potential.

Ghost had a great start to his career lessening the effect of losing our beloved Adam V. He hasn't performed as well lately and he will need a bounceback season in order to keep his place on the team next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

About preseason games, they'll keeping charging as long as people keep showing up. If nobody showed up to buy the concessions and the shirts and the parking spaces and the rest of it, maybe they'd adjust. But if the lemmings keep going over the cliff, why would they change anything?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

About preseason games, they'll keeping charging as long as people keep showing up. If nobody showed up to buy the concessions and the shirts and the parking spaces and the rest of it, maybe they'd adjust. But if the lemmings keep going over the cliff, why would they change anything?

If you want season tickets, you've got no choice but to pay.  And paying for two "useless" preseason games is still cheaper than forgoing season tickets and instead buying tickets on StubHub or through a ticket agency at ridiculous mark ups. So most of us season ticket holders just look at the preseason as a "service charge" that is a bit less than the service fees the ticket agencies charge.

Goodell keeps making noise about changing the preseason or maybe reducing ticket prices, but you're right that they don't have a lot of incentive if they keep selling seats at those prices.  I wonder, however, what sales are like for teams that don't have lots of captive season ticket holders?  Do those teams fill their seats in preseason?  Would they have better attendance if ticket prices were lower?  Or is the quality of the product still too poor to attract fans even at lower prices?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Yes, you have to buy the tix, but you don't have to go to the games. They make money when you pay to park, buy beer, nachos, nick nacks and paddywhacks. It won't happen, but if NFL fans en masse stopped showing up for the fake games, they'd have to adjust.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yes, you have to buy the tix, but you don't have to go to the games. They make money when you pay to park, buy beer, nachos, nick nacks and paddywhacks. It won't happen, but if NFL fans en masse stopped showing up for the fake games, they'd have to adjust.

Well I did my part this week Wink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Problem with that is most season ticket holders either give their seats away or take family members they wouldn't take during the regular season. Friday night there was tons of kids and families attending. It is a money grab for the owners but I don't see any end in sight.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I actually do enjoy watching preseason games to get a look at the new guys, but it's not really worth a trip to the stadium to see.  When I lived in Mass, I'd go occasionally, but often gave my tickets to my sister to take her kids. Problem, though, is the time of the games: good for TV viewing but not for going to the stadium.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I actually do enjoy watching preseason games to get a look at the new guys, but it's not really worth a trip to the stadium to see.  When I lived in Mass, I'd go occasionally, but often gave my tickets to my sister to take her kids. Problem, though, is the time of the games: good for TV viewing but not for going to the stadium.  

I hate to say this but I do enjoy going. I don't have to worry about the entire play and can focus on certain players. Focused on  Grissom, Buchanan and T Wilson really dissapointed in Wilsons play. I hope he progresses further the rest of the pre-eseason because right now he is strictly a ST's player. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

With Tom Brady as the QB, they shouldn't have to win with field goals very often.

If the kicker is average, and there isn't anyone out there better, well, I guess he'll do.

That's not true. The kicker is the extension of your offense. If you can't kick FGs ... you are going to lose games. 

Witness that Arizona game last season ... Brady got them into position for the game winner and Ghost missed it. 

You need MORE than just a QB. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

I hate to say this but I do enjoy going. I don't have to worry about the entire play and can focus on certain players. Focused on  Grissom, Buchanan and T Wilson really dissapointed in Wilsons play. I hope he progresses further the rest of the pre-eseason because right now he is strictly a ST's player. 

[/QUOTE]

I totally understand that.  In fact, the ability to focus on a single player or match up is one of the great pleasures of seeing any game live.  I'll do that in the regular season too sometimes, even if it means missing the rest of the play.  Focusing my binoculars on Wilfork or Mankins or one of the corners can be a lot of fun and you see stuff you'd never see watching on TV.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

One used to get lambasted for saying this guy was overrated. It's nice to see his stock has fallen around here, because he just hasn't been all that hot.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I totally understand that.  In fact, the ability to focus on a single player or match up is one of the great pleasures of seeing any game live.  I'll do that in the regular season too sometimes, even if it means missing the rest of the play.  Focusing my binoculars on Wilfork or Mankins or one of the corners can be a lot of fun and you see stuff you'd never see watching on TV.

Yeah but during the regular season it is harder becasue you really want to watch the entire game unfold. I will say this from where you sit you definately get a different perspective from TV. My seats are in the Northwest corner 2nd section and it is very easy to see open recievers when the offensive team is coming toward us. when the play is going the other way it is easier to notice O-line blocking

When the offense is coming toward it is easier to notice secondary coverages and when they O is going the other way it is a great angle to watch the pass rush and the match-ups O-line vs D line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Yes for this year. I think it is getting to the point where some competition next year is warranted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah but during the regular season it is harder becasue you really want to watch the entire game unfold. I will say this from where you sit you definately get a different perspective from TV. My seats are in the Northwest corner 2nd section and it is very easy to see open recievers when the offensive team is coming toward us. when the play is going the other way it is easier to notice O-line blocking

When the offense is coming toward it is easier to notice secondary coverages and when they O is going the other way it is a great angle to watch the pass rush and the match-ups O-line vs D line.

I considered moving to those 2nd deck corner seats when I upgraded this year.  They give a very nice view, especially when the action is on the near end of the field.  You get a bit of an endzone look (best for watching line play and spacing) and a bit of a sideline view.  I ended up defaulting toward midfield again, though, just because I knew what I'd be getting since it's where I usually sit.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

The Bills cut Lindell to make way for Dustin Hopkins (who I was hoping the Pats would draft). Maybe they can sign Lindell to push Ghost

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

For me FG Kickers have to be good 40 yards in, many Good Kickers made a living with those stats. Its the automatic ones that lose or win more games.

You miss a Long FG, which is easy for any kicker, and you turn around Field Position in a hurry. Sometimes its better to Punt.

Of course the game dictates when you might have to go for the long one. End of half, end of game, with no time left.