Gostkowski

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Gostkowski

Is it me, or are the Pats passing on FG attempts that seem very make able for Gostkowski? I understand the field position strategy, but with the offense struggling why not take the 3 points??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Re: Gostkowski

Cause Belichick is smarter then you lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

In Response to Gostkowski:
    [QUOTE]Is it me, or are the Pats passing on FG attempts that seem very make able for Gostkowski? I understand the field position strategy, but with the offense struggling why not take the 3 points??
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE] Ask BB he most likely has the answer. IMO BB feels that they need the scoring opportunity more than the 3 points. It's too bad that the offense has become so predictable. Don't know if O'Brien is limited as to what he can call by BB or he's just inept. They'll be lucky to get by the Jags this week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Probably because he seems to miss when it counts.  

Has anyone noticed that he hasnt been putting the ball in the endzone like he did earlier this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I should have been more clear(although when I said field position strategy I thought it was clear). It seems the Pats are PUNTING rather than going for the 3 points. So not commenting on the 4th and go for it strategy, commenting on the punting rather than going for the FG. With the lack of points from the offense, Hansen's poor punts, why not let Gostkowski try from the 40 yard line and closer? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Remember the Colts game?

My guess is that Belichick is aware of the limitations of his defense and knows further that no lead is big enough and knows, even further still, that his best weapons are no longer as dominant as they once were. All that adds up to taking what appear to be idiotic gambles that make armchair coaches like you and me scratch our heads in wonderment when they -- as often as not -- fail.

Gostkowski's a good kicker, as far as kickers go, but three points simply isn't going to get it done for the Pats -- and if a marginal idiot like me can see that, I suspect one of the game's legendary tacticians probably has the situation well in hand.

Now . . .   Chris Hanson, on the other hand . . .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

karp, you're right, i've noticed it too. The guy has as strong a leg as anyone in the league, but for some reason, BB doesn't want him kicking from 53,55...I'd let him kick every time, and stop the idiotic 4th and 3 or 4 go-for-its that have cost the team dearly. Kick the goddarn field goals and get the points. He's a fricken All-Pro for crying out loud. Utilize him. Enough about wind too. He can kick against the wind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

Belichick has coached like a petulant rookie, completely misreading or over-coaching when he has historically been good about making the gutsy calls at momentum strong times. The Colt game, he simply gave up on his defense way before the team did. As for his kicker, he's got the best or among the best 3 in the league (Bironas is pretty awesome). The guy is a long threat and needs to be given more kicking opportunities, rather than the gimmees inside 40.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: Gostkowski:
    [QUOTE]Remember the Colts game? My guess is that Belichick is aware of the limitations of his defense and knows further that no lead is big enough and knows, even further still, that his best weapons are no longer as dominant as they once were. All that adds up to taking what appear to be idiotic gambles that make armchair coaches like you and me scratch our heads in wonderment when they -- as often as not -- fail. Gostkowski's a good kicker, as far as kickers go, but three points simply isn't going to get it done for the Pats -- and if a marginal idiot like me can see that, I suspect one of the game's legendary tacticians probably has the situation well in hand. Now . . .   Chris Hanson, on the other hand . . .
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]
    prairiemike
    even an armchair coach like me knows in a 2 score game (17-3) a FG making it a 3 score game maybe clinches the win, yet Pats punted from the Bills 38 yard line! That is a 55 yard FG granted, but is Gostkowski capable of that? I thought he was?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

I'm not as smart as Belichick but it does appear that he is either scared to death of our defense or that he, once again, simply knows the score. However, I don't think it's a good idea to spoil a good thing and mess with Gostkowski's head. I realize you're not supposed to talk about kickers. It's like patting Shaq on the rear and wishing him good luck with the free throws. I believe Gostkowski is capable of hitting 50+ yard FGs. Like anyone else, he might miss occasionally. But he's not going to become consistently reliable unless he's given the opportunity by Bill. Go Pats!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

In Response to Re: Gostkowski:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gostkowski : prairiemike even an armchair coach like me knows in a 2 score game (17-3) a FG making it a 3 score game maybe clinches the win, yet Pats punted from the Bills 38 yard line! That is a 55 yard FG granted, but is Gostkowski capable of that? I thought he was?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

See karp, this is why I mentioned Hanson in my other post. In this situation, if I'm the coach, I'm not playing field postion here because I know my punter blows. I don't know what happened on this particular punt, as I was unable to see the game, but I've seen Hanson blast enough balls into the endzone, netting 18 yards or so, to know that 55 yards is worth a shot. If I had a punter who could drop the ball inside the 10 fairly consistently, I might go along with Belichick on this one -- but the Pats do not have that guy. So although I am not in the business of questioning Bill Belichick, this particular example is curious. But by and large and as I said, I think Gostkowski is being taken out of situations more and more simply because Belichick believes he needs touchdowns (and he's right).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

yeah a 55 yarder in Buffalo makes a lot of sense.  Have you ever tried to kick a ball when it's under 30 degrees??  Doesn't go as far in the cold weather.  And if they were up 17-3 that means Buff's offense had done nothing for almost 3 qtrs.  Make them drive the field twice to beat you.  Giving them the ball at their own 45 is not too bright in that situation.

And I would assume they watch the kicker during warmups to figure what his effective range is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

siesta,
    as a season ticket holder I do see Gostkowski hitting from 55 in warm ups in Foxboro, which is just as cold as it was in Buff the other day.
    Didn't you really just make my point? If Buff doesn't go offsides on the kick off, or if Welker doesn't get the first down to allow the Pats to take the knee, wouldn't the field goal been the winning margin?
    Making a game a 3 score game rather than a 2 score game is ALWAYS the smart move, especially when the offense is struggling to score points and the punter is netting 18-22 yards with each punt.
    I have questioned the move numerous times this year, good weather and bad, but the specific play mentioned would have placed the Bills on the 38, not the 45...and the way the Buff offense was playing, it would have taken a fluke play to beat the Pats...such as the on side kick, a turn over etc. Seems the smart move was to try and ice the game with the FG.. 
    Just off the top of my head...Akers, Scobee, Janikowski, Birona, Feeley, Tynes seem to have the leg/coaches confidence to try these FG's...I am sure there are others

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I think Belichick has made some dubious decisions the past couple yrs in not going for field goals but I think he did the right thing Sunday.  I don't think a 55 yarder in Buffalo in December is a high percentage kick.  I do agree that if we had a decent punter who could consistently pin the opponents deep the point may have been moot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I must admit I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling when Gost attempts a FG.

Sections
Shortcuts