Gotta love BB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Gotta love BB

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Could not disagree more. The game of football literally was invented on the Civil War battlefields in the 1860s.

No it wasn't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Who cares what he answers and good for him ! reporters are annoying also but want to show they're the victims.

Well they are just, in fact, doing their jobs. 

But what does surprise me is that when something negative is written or something is speculated by the media about the Pats, people on this board wonder why. 

Reporters have a job to do.  When provided without information to help them do their job, they still are required to write something. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Umm, yes it is. "Killy the Guy" with the ball is how football initiated when Union troops were bored in between battles.

You can either learn from others or continue to be a moron all your life.

After the war, many veterans were the ones who helped shape what the game was to becomes.  Oliver Wendell Holmes, who helped support the game with his high visibility status, was one.

You can either learn from others or continue to be a moron all your life.

American football and its heritage

Introduction

The similarities between sports betting and American football can be drawn in the fact that it is virtually impossible to determine exactly when or where it has its origins. Ever since people have started playing any kind of ball game, an association with American football could be made even dating way back to ancient Egyptian times. However, the general consensus is that the first traces of what later would develop into multi/million industry; football or rugby, began in Europe, it is easily conceivable that England would act as the breeding-ground for the sport, but early signs of rugby can be found in all the major medieval powers of Europe, for example France and Spain. 

The Boston Game

Even for an untrained eye, it would be easy to spot why rugby would act as the sport which would give American football a sense of history. The first games that could be identified as leading to the formalization of both rugby union and American football are the Atherstone Shrovetide Game, dating back to 1199 and the Eton Wall Game. These games, which were little more than an excuse for rowdy behaviour on the pretext of moving a ball from one ill-defined place to another, travelled across the Atlantic with the immigrant settler as early as the 1600s. As in Europe, up until the 1800s these games remained the ‘free for alls’ they had always been until the some of the American Ivy-league colleges like Princeton and Harvard began playing ball games “according to their own set of rules”. Princeton played “Ballown”, whilst Harvard had a game called “Bloody Monday”, these games were similar to each - but were not identical to each other. By the mid 1860s these latter day football games had reached such peaks of violence and unruliness that many of them were banned by the authorities. Accepting the need to have some sense of rules, fair-play and the “Boston Game”, with rules for kicking and running with a ball, quickly filled the void. Similar games developed around this time, many of which reflected the sort of rules being developed for soccer in England. There would now be a perfect time to standardise the sport as a whole and with perhaps a flare and taste for American enterprising and the know-how, to devise a game that not only would be available to everyone, but also would fit the mentality of a recently formed nation and its people.

Walter Camp, the founding father

Walter Camp is, generally acknowledged as the father of American football. The seven years between 1873 and 1880 saw many gatherings take place to establish a framework for American football. Camp was heavily involved in many of these meetings and had several proposals accepted. However, it was he who introduced the line of scrimmage and snap (center to quarterback) rules. Adaptations to the line of scrimmage rule in 1882 established the principle of five yard advancement within three downs and truly established American football apart from the soccer and rugby union that had developed in England in around the same time. A regular member of American football rules committee meetings up to 1924, Walter Camp proceeded with overseeing and influencing the development of the game for the further enjoyment of participants, spectators and indirectly anyone wanting to wage a sport bet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

The sport of American football itself was relatively new in 1892. Its roots stemmed from two sports, soccer and rugby, which had enjoyed long-time popularity in many nations of the world. On November 6, 1869, Rutgers and Princeton played what was billed as the first college football game. However, it wasn't until the 1880s that a great rugby player from Yale, Walter Camp, pioneered rules changes that slowly transformed rugby into the new game of American Football.

Meanwhile, athletic clubs that sponsored a great variety of sports teams became a popular phenomenon in the United States in the years immediately after the Civil War. One of the sports the athletic club embraced was football.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

but Not a Shot............Rusty is technically correct a form a football was played during the civil war times. It got tranformed and more modernized thereafter

football.jpg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

but Not a Shot............Rusty is technically correct a form a football was played during the civil war times. It got tranformed and more modernized thereafter

football.jpg

A form was played, but the game wasn't invented on Civil War battlefields.

The game is not war.

It's a game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The fact is, bare bones of the game started in the NE as a pick up game at the high school level, but with no real purpose, real rules or focus. Many of those high school students ended up actually fighting in the Civil War, 10-15 years later.

Once the Civil War vets left the battlefields, they started implementing the game in colleges and universities which is where the bare bones of the game as we know it today, originated. Yes.

So, it was invented 10-15 years after it was...you know...invented or maybe it was invented after it was invented?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I did not say it was "invented". I said the roots of the modern game were more or less cultivated on Civil War battlefields, which is true.

Look above.

"The game of football literally was invented on the Civil War battlefields in the 1860s."

Sometimes you really make me laugh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The reason why you can't counter correctly is because you can't change facts and history.

"The game of football literally was invented on the Civil War battlefields in the 1860s."

10 minutes later...

"I did not say it was "invented". I said the roots of the modern game were more or less cultivated on Civil War battlefields, which is true."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

I did not say it was "invented". I said the roots of the modern game were more or less cultivated on Civil War battlefields, which is true.

Look above.

[/QUOTE]

BOOM!!! Seriously, if you are going to write one thing and then deny it 1 hour and 32 minutes later, at least have the common sense to go back an edit the original post. 

The point is the game was "invented" before the Civil War. The game is NOT an actual war. There are coaches who have been successful despite giving out more information than required by league rules to the press. BB's system has, for one reason or another, not been successful in winning a championship for the past eight season despite numerous times having what was considered the best team in the NFL. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Look above.

Nah, here's what I said. You said "no, it wasn't", so I clarified what I meant by expanding on how the organized game came to be.

"The roots of the game were evolving with some basic rules were added and the first official college game was in 1869."

So basically you're being difficult 

At least I didn't claim it was invented in Europe in the 1200s by Robin Wood like you did with your nonsensical counter post from a Google Cut and Paste job.

Cannot be made up.

You:  It was invented during the Civil War.

Me:  No it wasn't.

You:  Yes it was.

Me:  Here are the facts.

You:  I didn't say it was.

Me:  Yes you did.

You:  No, what I meant was...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Who cares what he answers and good for him ! reporters are annoying also but want to show they're the victims.

This I agree with. I don't love that BB is that way, I also don't think there is anything wrong with coaches who are more open. It is just their styles. Neither one is right or wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Could not disagree more. The game of football literally was invented on the Civil War battlefields in the 1860s.

It's war.

That's exactly what it is.  So, you want to give the enemy info or something that might be used against you?

Honest coaches blabbering at the mic, could very easily lost focus and completely say something stupid.

If you just keep to a routine, you can answer the questions 

Denver just Tweeted that Champ Bailey practiced for the first time since August yesterday. Obviously, that is no secret, but why announce things you're not obligated to?

[/QUOTE]

Because you are a dunderhead, you cannot fathom that these pressers could actually be used to spread disinformation which could possibly sucker the opposition into wasted effort. But it requires a brain to comprehend that possibility, so you're left out on that score.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Look above.

Nah, here's what I said. You said "no, it wasn't", so I clarified what I meant by expanding on how the organized game came to be.

"The roots of the game were evolving with some basic rules were added and the first official college game was in 1869."

So basically you're being difficult  to be difficult.  You didn't like my word choice of "invented" so you honed in on that. When you challenged what I meant by it by saying "no it wasn't, I clarified it.  

At least I didn't claim it was invented in Europe in the 1200s by Robin Wood like you did with your nonsensical counter post from a Google Cut and Paste job.

Cannot be made up.  You actually think the 3 Knights and Robin Hood invented the modern game of American football, otherwise you never would have posted what you did. Priceless.

Making a complete foll of yourself again today, eh dumbkoff?

Tell us about your 152 IQ and college degree again, that's always good for a few laughs Megatool. LMAO@U

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

THe fact is, the origins and basic set of rules of the game were in invented during the Civil War.

"Once the Civil War vets left the battlefields, they started implementing the game in colleges and universities which is where the bare bones of the game as we know it today, originated."

First it was invented on the Civil War battlefields.  Then it was played by kids who went to war 10-15 years later.  Then it was laid out bare bones when people got back from the war.  Now it's back to being invented during the Civil War.

Ever see the movie "Momento"?  They owe you royalties.

Seriously, though, if you're such an expert on everything football, shouldn't you at least know about the origins of the game?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No one is questioning if a game was played during the Civil War.  This is nothing more than a cool picture.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Umm, what?  No.  Denver likes to announce things. They;re morons. It's no different than Elway braggig about 2nd rd pick, Montee Ball after their draft and the literally has like 3 fumbles on 10 carries, and has been benched/moved to 3rd RB for them.

Moreno best not get hurt.  

Well since Manning went to Denver the Colts are 18-4 (counting the playoffs) and the Patriots are 17-6. Both teams lost to the Ravens last year in the playoffs, the Broncos made it to double-overtime, but the Patriots lost by more than two TDs.

Hard to say that BB's system has been superior over that stretch...

What is your point about Ball? First off, he has 2 fumbles (you keep writing the word literally and then put incorrect information after - I literally think you do not know what it means). How are the Patriots draft picks doing? Why is a UFDA (Thompkins) ahead of a 2nd (Dobson) and a 4th (Boyce) round pick? Jamie Collins has literally four tackles on the season. What difference does it make if Elway talked up Ball after the draft?

Why is so hard to admit that everything that BB does is not right and perfect?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What exactly are you questioning?

You said the game was invented on the Civil War battlefields.

I said it wasn't.

Eat it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont agree at all. Unfortunately, BB's relationship with 90% of the media has deteriorated to the point that the questions asked to BB are almost as mocking as BB's answers. It takes a really special person (like Mike Reiss) to not be offended by BB, who manages to do his job, maintain his dignity and not take the slop BB puts out personally.

Believe it or not, there is some room for give and take. BUt IMO, watching the week to week verbal matches (but not lately), things are too far gone.

BB clearly doesnt want to deal with the media, he is clearly throwing it in the face of the NFL by making a farce of it, and most of the media has taken the approach that if BB has to be up there, yet saying nothing, they may as well bust his chops with these inane questions trying to make BB either blow his top, or crack a smile (he never does either anymore). Certainly there is a local contingent (like Harvey on this thread) that thinks this is masterful work by BB..but nationally, as many have heard, BB has worn thin, and the more time that passes between SB wins, the more the critics will come out, simply because no one likes the guy based on how he treats others 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This I agree with. I don't love that BB is that way, I also don't think there is anything wrong with coaches who are more open. It is just their styles. Neither one is right or wrong.

[/QUOTE]

It's war.

That's exactly what it is.  So, you want to give the enemy info or something that might be used against you?

Honest coaches blabbering at the mic, could very easily lost focus and completely say something stupid.

If you just keep to a routine, you can answer the questions 

Denver just Tweeted that Champ Bailey practiced for the first time since August yesterday. Obviously, that is no secret, but why announce things you're not obligated to?

[/QUOTE]

Because you are a dunderhead, you cannot fathom that these pressers could actually be used to spread disinformation which could possibly sucker the opposition into wasted effort. But it requires a brain to comprehend that possibility, so you're left out on that score.

[/QUOTE]

Umm, what?  No.  Denver likes to announce things. They;re morons. It's no different than Elway braggig about 2nd rd pick, Montee Ball after their draft and the literally has like 3 fumbles on 10 carries, and has been benched/moved to 3rd RB for them.

Moreno best not get hurt.  

[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about Denver you dense f***, I'm talking about BB. You're hopeless.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Question: How much closer do you sense we are getting to seeing Rob Gronkowski in a game?

Belichick: Day-to-day.

Question: Safe to say he’s making progress?

Belichick: He’s day to day.

Question: As you get more information as to his availability toward the end of the week, how much do you envision that potentially changing any plans or can you just tweak a few things later in the week?

Belichick: I don’t know. I guess that’s a question to discuss at the end of the week, depending on whatever information is or isn’t available, I don’t know.

Question: Do you feel like he’s closer now than he was last week?

Belichick: He’s day-to-day.

Question: How did he look in practice last week?

Belichick: He practiced.

Question: Did he look like –

I don't get why people love this stuff... It was kind of funny when he was winning championships. Now he just sounds like a d*nk most of the time. Stop getting out coached in the playoffs and then you can got back to treating everyone like you are better than them.

If this sort of behavior actually gives them a competitive advantage why hasn't it worked since 2004? I don't think it give them an advantage. In fact, I do not think that BB even thinks it does. I just think he hates the press and detests that part of his job.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he should coach Asante Samuel ('07) to catch a wide open interception and Welker ('11) to make a catch that he typically makes routinely.  Yeah, he got out-coached.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Question:  At some point in time, are you going to stop being a dick to us reporters?

Belichick:  I'm day to day.

Wait, you don't like Belichick?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady is becoming almost equally as good at it.

This year especially I have listened to him a number of times where he talks a bunch but doesn't even really answer the question.

The ones I love the best are when he starts to talk and realizes he's about to be cornered into saying something he doesn't want to and just stops mid sentence and changes course, creating two incomplete and almost incomprehensible sentences. Ultimately he doesn't even answer the question in most of those cases.

Haha love that.

There is no need to actually divulge anything to them, yet still satisfy them. BB answers them the way he does to be a dick, not to protect information. It all comes from the same place spygate came from. It's Bill writing his own anal law. It's stupid. But the "Bill is an infallible genius crowd" loves it. Those are the same ones who think he craps goldbricks. The rest of us realize it's stupid and unnecessary.

[/QUOTE]

Wait, you don't like Belichick?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

You would think afters 13 years of Patriots press conferences that reporters would have him figured out. If reporters are just doing their job then they aren't doing it very well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

[QUOTE]

Brady is becoming almost equally as good at it.

This year especially I have listened to him a number of times where he talks a bunch but doesn't even really answer the question.

The ones I love the best are when he starts to talk and realizes he's about to be cornered into saying something he doesn't want to and just stops mid sentence and changes course, creating two incomplete and almost incomprehensible sentences. Ultimately he doesn't even answer the question in most of those cases.

Haha love that.

[/QUOTE]

There is no need to actually divulge anything to them, yet still satisfy them. BB answers them the way he does to be a dick, not to protect information. It all comes from the same place spygate came from. It's Bill writing his own anal law. It's stupid. But the "Bill is an infallible genius crowd" loves it. Those are the same ones who think he craps gold bricks. The rest of us realize it's stupid and unnecessary.

[/QUOTE]

So you clearly have not read my later post as you would have seen I said I thought it had almost nothing to do with hiding information from other teams.

It is also appears you have never had to deal with answering to the press , even at a local level, on a regular basis.

Or if you have, then you clearly have never had something printed out of context , twisted or used only in part before or more than once. Never had to deal with trying to clarify the mis quote or context up with one of your players, or in HS kids example, their parents. IMO it simply is not worth the potential aggrevation to say much of anything to the press.

If you had then I would highly doubt you would have the same reaction to the way BB handles his answers.

I have no problem with what reporters ask, or how he answers them. He answers them. If he was really being a dick as many suggest he could always simply say next question every time, instead.

What is comically enjoyable however is watching reporters ask the "same" question 6 or more times in different ways, after BB made it clear what he was going to say on the matter, hoping for a different outcome.

...and as I said Brady has become almost equally as good at it. He knows it's best to say nothing but he "tries" to do it more politically correct to satisfy the sensitive souls like yourself so they don't call him names like they do BB. Unfortunatley he can't usually accomplish that which is why he stops mid sentence and changes direction with a whole new thought.

Comes down to a matter of style points I guess. You obviously prefer the politicians approach of having someone treat you like you are stupid and not really answer your question while pretending to where as I respect the fact that BB just flat out makes it known that he isn't going there, so might as well move on. I always respect and prefer the person who tells it to my face how it is. That's what makes the country great though, everyone has their own preferences for what they can cope with and accept.

...and then call the other option names. lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Question: How much closer do you sense we are getting to seeing Rob Gronkowski in a game?

Belichick: Day-to-day.

Question: Safe to say he’s making progress?

Belichick: He’s day to day.

Question: As you get more information as to his availability toward the end of the week, how much do you envision that potentially changing any plans or can you just tweak a few things later in the week?

Belichick: I don’t know. I guess that’s a question to discuss at the end of the week, depending on whatever information is or isn’t available, I don’t know.

Question: Do you feel like he’s closer now than he was last week?

Belichick: He’s day-to-day.

Question: How did he look in practice last week?

Question: Did he look like –

I don't get why people love this stuff... It was kind of funny when he was winning championships. Now he just sounds like a d*nk most of the time. Stop getting out coached in the playoffs and then you can got back to treating everyone like you are better than them.

If this sort of behavior actually gives them a competitive advantage why hasn't it worked since 2004? I don't think it give them an advantage. In fact, I do not think that BB even thinks it does. I just think he hates the press and detests that part of his job.

[/QUOTE]

dude ...  whats wrong with telling the truth and not lying...?

reporters are trying to get BB to speculate.  He won't do it, and for good reason.  Speculation is for armchair QBs and message boards.  Not head coaches, especially regarding injuries...   It is pointless to talk about something that is as fluid , changeable and unpredictable as an injury recovery.   Give BB credit for being so consistent.

He is loyal to his players medical privacy to a fault.  He should be praised for that.  Trying to link this type of interview to performance by the team is silly.

Now if you want to criticise him for benching a healthy welker in that playoff loss against the Jets,  then go ahead...  That's called for since he went against his own mantra of "just trying to improve our football team"...   Um, no you didn't.

Sections
Shortcuts