Grantland article on how Erhardt-Perkins offensive system has lead to Patriot domination. Great read.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Grantland article on how Erhardt-Perkins offensive system has lead to Patriot domination. Great read.

In response to RockScully's comment:

Bye bye Pezzy!   Do you think Brady will avoid throwing picks on Sunday?  I hope so.

LOL!.  TOTAL MELTDOWN!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Grantland article on how Erhardt-Perkins offensive system has lead to Patriot domination. Great read.

Rock Scull, read the title of the article and maybe you can grasp this.

As the players and schemes have changed, it's the way the Patriots talk that's continued their offensive dominance.

Get it? The way they TALK (communicate) leads to the offensive dominance. Not their offensive philosophy. The players and schemes (balance one way or the other) change. But it's the E-P communication system (as adapted by BB) that allows the no huddle to work so well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Explain what I am "dead wrong" about?  You morons just come on here, 1 by 1, following me around in between every thread, and it's always tied to a thread where you can see an opportunity to promote Brady and bash BB and his defense. It's like clockwork.  Look at the board. I have RKarp following me around trying to regain leverage ever so desperately, and now you two are in here, ruining this thread as diseased Brady Ballwashers and selfish turds.

You little girls thing Brady is above the team. I say he's not.

The crux of that piece True Champ posted is about balance. Nothing more, nothing less.

Actually it says something along the lines of the QB being the most important cog...nothing I found about balancing run and pass.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I posted the article with no agenda. I thought it was interesting...very interesting how they broke down the difference between 3 main offensive philosophies. As I read it again I would point out that when Weiss brought this system in with BB we were a balanced offense and clearly more clutch in post season play. As we adapted to Naploians rule changes we started spreading the field more and running out of the SG as half our offense. This offense has been very explosive and Brady has put up unbelievable numbers. However this offense is a finesse offense that has proven easier to defend in the post season. Bradys numbers specifically his td to int rate have suffered in the post season compared to where it was with Weiss's.

I think that BB and McD have left no stone unturned to bring this offense to its full potential. From spending time with Chip Kelly and other college coaches and using a no huddle like its never been used before, to almost leading the lg in rushing atts. The coaching staff has built something that will be very difficult to stop. I believe Brady will benefit greatly and that he is about to turn in his finest post season performance of his career and win Lombardi #4. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I posted the article with no agenda. I thought it was interesting...very interesting how they broke down the difference between 3 main offensive philosophies. As I read it again I would point out that when Weiss brought this system in with BB we were a balanced offense and clearly more clutch in post season play. As we adapted to Naploians rule changes we started spreading the field more and running out of the SG as half our offense. This offense has been very explosive and Brady has put up unbelievable numbers. However this offense is a finesse offense that has proven easier to defend in the post season. Bradys numbers specifically his td to int rate have suffered in the post season compared to where it was with Weiss's.

I think that BB and McD have left no stone unturned to bring this offense to its full potential. From spending time with Chip Kelly and other college coaches and using a no huddle like its never been used before, to almost leading the lg in rushing atts. The coaching staff has built something that will be very difficult to stop. I believe Brady will benefit greatly and that he is about to turn in his finest post season performance of his career and win Lombardi #4. 

That's all great, not being sarcastic, it really is.  The ABILITY to do all that can't hurt, can only help.

But here's the problem.

1, you have to have a defense that won't give up more points than your very capable O can score.

2, as we have been trying to tell you, running is situational.  There is no set balance ratio. It depends on a 100 things.  Down and distance, the score, the team you are playing and their weaknesses, what the D is showing , can your own D hold,  is it the end of the game with a lead or are you behind or tied, your RB's ability, injuries, the weather, on and on and on.

Yes it's great to be able to run, no one is disputing that.  But you use it when it makes sense, not just to achieve some magical winning formula that doesn't exist.

Watch the video from 2001.  There's no run/pass balance (no runs at all) and it's 100 % shotgun.  (yes, 100% shotgun in 2001)   Why?   Because that's what made sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GVphiMBbGaM

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Good article, very interesting. Thanks for posting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

FOOTBALL; Giants Plan to Unveil Air Erhardt Against Oilers By FRANK LITSKY
    Published: August 18, 1990

When the New York Giants play the Houston Oilers in a preseason game Saturday night in the Astrodome, they plan to do something unusual for them. Against a team that loves to pass from its run-and-shoot offense, the Giants intend to pass the ball, too.

''We'll try to throw more than we did against Buffalo,'' Coach Bill Parcells said at the Giants' training camp.

''Hopefully,'' said Ron Erhardt, the Giants' offensive coordinator, ''we're going to throw a lot more against the Oilers.''

In Monday night's preseason opener, the Giants rolled over the Buffalo Bills, 20-6. The Giants rushed 41 times and passed only 19. They gained 305 yards rushing. Now Parcells wants to get a good look at the passing game.

Good Camp for Robinson

Parcells intimated that a better-balanced offense would come with better production from his wide receivers. Of his five veteran receivers, Stacy Robinson has had the best training camp, but he is doubtful for the Oilers game because of a strained groin muscle.

ADS BY GOOGLE  

The other veteran receivers are Lionel Manuel, in his seventh season, and Odessa Turner, Mark Ingram and Stephen Baker, in their fourth. Parcells hopes at least one will become a reliable big-play threat.

''I have to see more from my receivers,'' he said. ''I'm willing to throw. We didn't last year for various reasons, not all pertinent to the receivers.''

For much of last season, the Giants ran more than usual because Phil Simms, their quarterback, was hobbling on a sore ankle. Simms passed for 3,061 yards last season. In his best years, he passed for 4,044 yards, a club record, in 1984, and 3,829 in 1985.

''I'd like to open the game up,'' Parcells said. ''But you have to have receivers to open it up with. It's not a question of ability. Two or three of them certainly have the ability to be good players. It's their fourth year now. By the time Lionel was here the fourth year, he was under way. Bobby Johnson was under way his first or second year. Earnest Gray and John Mistler were playing in their third or fourth year.''

Inconsistent Receivers

Johnson, Gray and Mistler no longer play pro football. Of their successors, Turner has been injury prone late in the season and Ingram and Baker have been inconsistent.

''Any offensive coach would like to throw the ball,'' Erhardt said. ''But as you change people, you do different things to win. Bill keeps saying we're not in the entertainment business; we're here to win.'' Robinson said it was a Catch-22 situation. ''I think any of us is capable,'' said the sixth-year receiver. ''But are we a big-play offense? We haven't opened up because we haven't anyone to open up to. But can we have someone like that if we don't open up?

''If you bring a Jerry Rice here, is he going to catch 80 passes a year? If he could do that, they would probably open up the offense and then he would.''

Robinson is saying the Giants have to pass more to develop more productive receivers, and Parcells is saying he wants to see more productive receivers before he passes more. Erhardt offers another thought. ''The only way to change it is to change people,'' he said. The Giants-Oilers game will be carried by ESPN, Channel 11 and WNEW-AM at 8 P.M. ... Parcells plans to start Jeff Hostetler at quarterback, followed by Craig Kupp and Simms.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Rock Scull, read the title of the article and maybe you can grasp this.

As the players and schemes have changed, it's the way the Patriots talk that's continued their offensive dominance.

Get it? The way they TALK (communicate) leads to the offensive dominance. Not their offensive philosophy. The players and schemes (balance one way or the other) change. But it's the E-P communication system (as adapted by BB) that allows the no huddle to work so well.

Yeah, the article has nothing to do with running or passing. But it is of note ... the "pass to score run to win" quote is from late in his career, when he evolved into a passing coach. 

He said that because he got the nickname Air Erhadt after passing so much, and from the spread. 

His response, was about how NFL rules made it so that scoring was so much easier in modern NFL systems if you passed more, but you still needed to run late to end the game.

Hence ... most NFL teams pass about 65%-70% os the time through the first few quarters, the run the ball late in the game to choke the opponent out. 

The NFL wasn't always like this ... teams used to run all game long, and occaisonally lob passes. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Great article and entertaining read. More proof that the Coach is the best in the business and the Qb may be the best of all time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Great article and entertaining read. More proof that the Coach is the best in the business and the Qb may be the best of all time.

Agreed. It is amazing watching how Brady has mastered this offense and changes/adapts as his personnel and the rules shift. The one constant is the BB Brady combination. However as I said, in the early years under Charlie we adopted more of the ground and poundapproach that was used in the 70s. The last few years was tilted way more to pass heavy sg with dwindling post season results. I think we have come full circle this year while staying the most innovative. The more I read about what we have done on offense this year the more confident I am we can beat the ravens and the niners. I don't think the Falcons would be in the game personally.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Good read, thanks TC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Bradys numbers specifically his td to int rate have suffered in the post season compared to where it was with Weiss's.

Basically Brady's 2004 playoffs were spectacular and his 2006 and 2009 were sub par regarding TD/INT ratio. Other than that his numbers have been steadily very good.

There is absolutely no pattern that can be drawn from these facts.

At the moment his playoff TD/INT numbers for the last 2 years are 11/4.

That stacks up pretty well against the cherry picked 3 SB win seasons of 11/3, and humbles the first two SB years ratio of 6/3.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Explain what I am "dead wrong" about?  You morons just come on here, 1 by 1, following me around in between every thread, and it's always tied to a thread where you can see an opportunity to promote Brady and bash BB and his defense. It's like clockwork.  Look at the board. I have RKarp following me around trying to regain leverage ever so desperately, and now you two are in here, ruining this thread as diseased Brady Ballwashers and selfish turds.

You little girls thing Brady is above the team. I say he's not.

The crux of that piece True Champ posted is about balance. Nothing more, nothing less.

Junior, we didn't even mention Brady. Insane much?

The crux of the piece has absolutely nothing to do with balance. It has to do with BB using the E-P naming SYSTEM to allow efficient application of the no-huddle.

Did you even read it? Did you even read our comments?

Here, read it now...

With the help of his assistants, Belichick's primary innovation was to go from an Erhardt-Perkins offense to an Erhardt-Perkins system, built on its method of organizing and naming plays. The offense itself would be philosophically neutral."

Or balanced.

Neutral means balanced.

Get it?

It was IMBALANCED in 2007, 2009 and last year. 

Neutral does not mean balanced. It means that neither run nor pass is favored. To apply it to the original adage:

You run or pass to score. You run or pass to win.

You see this every week in the Pats game plan. Whatever works.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Agreed. It is amazing watching how Brady has mastered this offense and changes/adapts as his personnel and the rules shift. The one constant is the BB Brady combination. However as I said, in the early years under Charlie we adopted more of the ground and poundapproach that was used in the 70s. The last few years was tilted way more to pass heavy sg with dwindling post season results. I think we have come full circle this year while staying the most innovative. The more I read about what we have done on offense this year the more confident I am we can beat the ravens and the niners. I don't think the Falcons would be in the game personally.

The use of the running game mixed with the hurry up against Denver earlier this year was the most impressive offense I had seen since 2007. They got sloppy in the 4th quarter to make it seem closer than it was but if the Pats can run an attack like that on a consistent basis over the next two weeks they would be unstoppable. How much does the loss of Gronk make Belichick revert to their more traditional spread though is my question.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I for one am glad we've "devolved" to the more traditional offense we ran in the early Belichick years as it bodes well for our championship aspirations.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I for one am glad we've "devolved" to the more traditional offense we ran in the early Belichick years as it bodes well for our championship aspirations.

But we didn't...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The use of the running game mixed with the hurry up against Denver earlier this year was the most impressive offense I had seen since 2007. They got sloppy in the 4th quarter to make it seem closer than it was but if the Pats can run an attack like that on a consistent basis over the next two weeks they would be unstoppable. How much does the loss of Gronk make Belichick revert to their more traditional spread though is my question.

Great question, and honestly after hearing Woodhead was going to be the lead back like he was against the Jets in the 1st rd loss in 2010, I am worried that we may have even lost this past week.

Remove Vareen for the game and insert Woody and we still move the ball but does Woody dominate like Shane did? I don't think so. Ridley actually came in and sparked our 1st scoring drive by running 12 yards up the gut on his 1st carry,. Houston was never right defensively after that, unless you count the 4 and out sandwiched in between Houstons 2 tds drives in the 4rth wtr when we did absolutely nothing to use any clock.

After Houstons 2nd scoring drive of the 4rth qtr we brought in Ridley and went on our longest drive of the game. Rode Ridley to a win. I hope we run/screen/checkdown to our Rb's all game, and when the Ravens adjust we hit Lloyd and Hern on some deeper plays.

Need to keep Brady clean as he was actually pressurd last week more then he had been for quite some time while going with the pass heavy approach. The drives that worked were the balanced drives that left Houston gasping and guessing. The drives that didn't were the pass, pass pass drives that didn't use clock and put our D back on the field. I challenge any of you to check the play by play to see what I mean. Anyway I hope we see a healthy dose of Ridley and Vareen on Sunday. After all they had half of our yards and 4 of our 5 tds.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Great question, and honestly after hearing Woodhead was going to be the lead back like he was against the Jets in the 1st rd loss in 2010, I am worried that we may have even lost this past week.

Remove Vareen for the game and insert Woody and we still move the ball but does Woody dominate like Shane did? I don't think so. Ridley actually came in and sparked our 1st scoring drive by running 12 yards up the gut on his 1st carry,. Houston was never right defensively after that, unless you count the 4 and out sandwiched in between Houstons 2 tds drives in the 4rth wtr when we did absolutely nothing to use any clock.

After Houstons 2nd scoring drive of the 4rth qtr we brought in Ridley and went on our longest drive of the game. Rode Ridley to a win. I hope we run/screen/checkdown to our Rb's all game, and when the Ravens adjust we hit Lloyd and Hern on some deeper plays.

Need to keep Brady clean as he was actually pressurd last week more then he had been for quite some time while going with the pass heavy approach. The drives that worked were the balanced drives that left Houston gasping and guessing. The drives that didn't were the pass, pass pass drives that didn't use clock and put our D back on the field. I challenge any of you to check the play by play to see what I mean. Anyway I hope we see a healthy dose of Ridley and Vareen on Sunday. After all they had half of our yards and 4 of our 5 tds.

Personally I do not like Woodhead as the lead back like he was in the first Raven game but I like Woodhead a lot. He has been huge on 3rd downs and he has very good hands. He, in my opinion is their best blocker and Belichik probably felt like the extra protection was more important than anything else since the game plan appeared to be similar to the first game. People may have forgotten that Brady got hit pretty hard in that first Texans game. Once Woodhead and Gronkowski went down Belichik, McDaniels and Brady improvised, on the fly, a great offense. Why anyone would give the coaches anything less than an A grade is beyond me. Luckily for everyone, Vereen was up to the challenge of doing Woodheads role, which he clearly was not ready for against San Francisco. He did not appear to do diferrent things than Woodhead, he just did them faster. We may never see a game like that out of Vereen ever again to be honest. I think they still would have won with Woodhead but Vereen made it a near blow out. I know many here like BJGE alot, and I do too, but Ridley is the better back and he continues to get good first down runs late in the game, which is the key to running out the clock. The Broncos got stuck with a 3rd and long at the end of regulation because their running back could not get the positive yardage when everyone knew he was going to run. Ridley has been able to this year much more than BJGE ever could. Combine that with an improved defense and i am more confident this year compared to last year and I was pretty confident last year by the way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Good post...  Agree.  Brady on a mission this year.  No more dinking around.  THIS IS THE TEAM ... The parts are there.  Get it done.  One game at a time...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Personally I do not like Woodhead as the lead back like he was in the first Raven game but I like Woodhead a lot. He has been huge on 3rd downs and he has very good hands. He, in my opinion is their best blocker and Belichik probably felt like the extra protection was more important than anything else since the game plan appeared to be similar to the first game. People may have forgotten that Brady got hit pretty hard in that first Texans game. Once Woodhead and Gronkowski went down Belichik, McDaniels and Brady improvised, on the fly, a great offense. Why anyone would give the coaches anything less than an A grade is beyond me. Luckily for everyone, Vereen was up to the challenge of doing Woodheads role, which he clearly was not ready for against San Francisco. He did not appear to do diferrent things than Woodhead, he just did them faster. We may never see a game like that out of Vereen ever again to be honest. I think they still would have won with Woodhead but Vereen made it a near blow out. I know many here like BJGE alot, and I do too, but Ridley is the better back and he continues to get good first down runs late in the game, which is the key to running out the clock. The Broncos got stuck with a 3rd and long at the end of regulation because their running back could not get the positive yardage when everyone knew he was going to run. Ridley has been able to this year much more than BJGE ever could. Combine that with an improved defense and i am more confident this year compared to last year and I was pretty confident last year by the way.

Yes Woody is a good back, but IMO should be used as a 3rd option to Rid and Vareen. I also agree Ridley is a more explosive better back then Benny, but if Benny was healthy in the post season( and he must have been cuz they benched Rid) then he should have been used for more then he was. Or Ridley, or anybody. We needed a run game to win both the ravens and giants games. This year we have one because we have committed to using the 3 guys that were on the roster last year. This with a defense that has grown together over the rebuild and we look good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Brady thought trying to pass his way into sb wins was the answer.  It is not."

Yeah Brady just did it all on his own, and Belichick let Brady tarnish his legacy with Super Bowl losses while he did nothing about it. You have some important points along the way, but this particular one is such junk analysis. No way Belichick lets anyone cross his legacy like that. It's odd that you as a Belichick supporter would undermine him by asserting he had no control over Brady even though there is plenty of evidence to negate that and very little to support it. But hey who cares about facts when we can have forum conjecture and conspiracies...

Never mind we haven't had the running talent in recent year to have that kind of balance. Which of course is why Belichick drafted better running backs....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

" Brady thought trying to pass his way into sb wins was the answer.  It is not."

Yeah Brady just did it all on his own, and Belichick let Brady tarnish his legacy with Super Bowl losses while he did nothing about it. You have some important points along the way, but this particular one is such junk analysis. No way Belichick lets anyone cross his legacy like that. It's odd that you as a Belichick supporter would undermine him by asserting he had no control over Brady even though there is plenty of evidence to negate that and very little to support it. But hey who cares about facts when we can have forum conjecture and conspiracies...

Never mind we haven't had the running talent in recent year to have that kind of balance. Which of course is why Belichick drafted better running backs....

No no no BTS.

BB was unable to find a minute in each and every week to tell his OC and Brady, "Don't pass so much!".

BB spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on RBs when he already had a great RB like BJGE.

And he used virtually his whole draft last off-season to shore up a D that was already completely rebuilt.

You must just not be drinking enough of the Rusty kool-aide or you would understand these things.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

But we didn't...

Exactly.