Great article on Mark Sanchez. Still not ready to be an NFL QB, rated 28th in NFL! Pete Carrol right all along?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Great article on Mark Sanchez. Still not ready to be an NFL QB, rated 28th in NFL! Pete Carrol right all along?!

Before the troll phatrex asks me what my obsession is with the Jets, I will respond saying I could care less about the insignificant Jets. I am a football fan in general and thought this article was very telling about a former #5 draft pick who was given the nickname Sanchize by his own coach. At the end of the article the real Fat Rex continues to cover for his boy.

Mark Sanchez still isn’t ready, and Pete Carroll might have been right

Through the first nine weeks of the 2012 NFL season, Mark Sanchez of the New York Jets has performed at a level that puts him 28th among qualifying quarterbacks in Football Outsiders' opponent-adjusted metrics. In his four-year career, Sanchez has never ranked higher than 20th in FO's season-cumulative DYAR stats, and never higher than 28th in its per-play DVOA rankings. In the last year, Sanchez has seen anonymous teammates question his character, his own general manager wonder whether he'll ever take that nebulous next step, and his team trade for Tim Tebow, thus throwing the quarterback situation into a perma-drama that benefits nobody.

Most people thought that Sanchez was ready for the pros when he declared for the 2009 NFL draft, and the Jets certainly agreed -- they traded up to grab the fifth overall pick and the rights to Sanchez's future. The Jets went to the AFC championship game in each of Sanchez's first two years, but that didn't have as much to do with the quarterback as it did with the run game and defense.

The Jets ranked dead last in pass attempts in Sanchez's rookie year, and 18th in his second. Conversely, they ranked first in rushing attempts in 2009, and second in 2010. It was really over the last two seasons, when that defense and run game began to atrophy, that the pressure started to ramp up on Sanchez. The Jets' early paradigm was to camouflage their quarterback, and that's a system that's worked for many teams -- the 2004-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers come to mind, when they when 15-1 in Ben Roethlisberger's first year and won a Super Bowl in his second.

Eventually, though, Roethlisberger was able to repay that patience by becoming one of the NFL's great quarterbacks and putting the Steelers on his shoulders often enough. Four seasons in, there is absolutely no certainty that Sanchez will ever be able to do the same thing.

One man who saw this coming was Pete Carroll, who coached Sanchez at USC and openly questioned whether Sanchez was ready for the draft when he declared. It sounded selfish of Carroll at the time, and the success of certain underclass quarterbacks in recent years indicate that Carroll's concern wasn't really universal, but that Carroll said of his quarterback in January 2009 now seems to ring very true.

Pointing to a study that indicated a 62 percent failure rate for quarterbacks who declare themselves eligible for the NFL draft as underclassmen, Carroll made it as clear as possible -- Sanchez was making a mistake in not staying with the Trojans. Carroll also cited Sanchez's second-round grade in pre-draft evaluation as a factor.

"The facts are so strong against this decision," Carroll said. "After analyzing all the information, the truth is there — he should've stayed for another year ... Mark's chance to increase his value and become the top player in college football next year would have been worth $10-$20 million or more — likely more. One more year of running a team is almost priceless, so he lost the chance to fully prepare himself and become the very best he could be before going to the NFL."

Coming out early didn't affect Sanchez's financial prospects, because the Jets gave him a five-year, $58.25 million contract extension in March of this year, but his NFL legacy is another matter. The real question with Sanchez seems to be: Would he really have benefited from another year at USC, or was this his ceiling all along, and this is what we're going to get?

Carroll's Seahawks face the Jets this Sunday, so he was of course asked to rate Sanchez four years down the road, and recall his thought process regarding Sanchez at the time.

"I told him exactly what I felt," Carroll told me on Wednesday. "After long discussions with his father, who was very much a part of that, we went straight at it. There were no other agendas, I was just telling him. He only had the benefit of starting 16 games, and knew that it would be great for him to be as absolutely prepared and to be as great as experienced as he could be before going in. There was nobody in the world who was more thrilled than me when he did well in his first year. I thought they did a great job and he had won his first three games, then he struggled a little bit, and then he came back and got going and led them deep into the playoffs. I couldn't be more fired up for him.

"The reason was that Mark had his mind set on doing this, and he was determined to prove that he could do it. I support him in that and I love that he was feeling that way. I just told him what was the truth and he could have been better prepared if we would have had him for another year and I think it would've served him even better. But he did a marvelous job and I love what he's doing. Mark and I get along great and I follow him every week and it will be really fun playing against him this week."

Asked about Carroll's motivations on Wednesday, Jets head coach Rex Ryan intimated that Carroll might have been acting more in his own best interest.

"I did not blame Pete Carroll one bit, because if I had that young man as my quarterback, I'd say whatever it took to get the guy to stay with me," Ryan said. "Like, 'Oh you're not ready, son. As far as you know you're not ready to play.' Deep down he knew he was ready.

"I put myself in his shoes…I don't want to lose my quarterback. This guy's got a ton of ability and all that, but you don't want to lose a player of [Sanchez's] caliber, especially one at that position.

"I mean, it's hard to find these quarterbacks."

Indeed it is. Long into Mark Sanchez's NFL career, the Jets still seem unsure that they've done so. And if they're not, they should be.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/mark-sanchez-still-isn-t-ready-pete-carroll-131346161--nfl.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Great article on Mark Sanchez. Still not ready to be an NFL QB, rated 28th in NFL! Pete Carrol right all along?!

Quag,

this is a foolish post. No one stays in college and passes on being the #5 pick. Regression, injury or another QB prospect rises all could happen. Carroll clearly questioned Sanchez's mental ability, not physical. While Carroll was correct, that was assuming Sanchez was picked low 1st round. Passing the chance to go #5 overall would have been foolish. As poorly as Sanchez has been ranked, you cannot question his overall financial haul and his 2 AFC championship appearances.

if Tannenbaum had done a better job surrounding Sanchez with talent, I believe we would be talking about Sanchez in that 17-22 range, rather than his current lower status.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Great article on Mark Sanchez. Still not ready to be an NFL QB, rated 28th in NFL! Pete Carrol right all along?!

sorry you felt the post was foolish, I thought it was very revealing. You stated "As poorly as Sanchez has been ranked, you cannot question his overall financial haul and his 2 AFC championship appearances." His financial haul is due to the Jets moronic front office selecting him to early and then singing him to the ridiculous extension last year to soothe his feelings! As for his two AFC appearances, like the article clearly broke down, they were in spite of him not because of him!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

rkarp I think you missed the point. I don't think anyone who doesn't bleed green from between their legs thought Sanchez was worth the 5th overall pick and I still feel a good perchentage of the league agree with Carrol, that Sanchez just wasn't ready.

The main point of the article though is the fact that Sanchez wasn't ready and that any respectable team should have realized that. I doubt anyone would have critized Sanchez for taking the money when he could but this might be more a commentary on how bad this pick was for the Jets.

BTW I don't think whatever talent you put around Sanchez he just isn't a starting caliber QB. He's like Gabbert last night. Some people just don't have it and Sanchez is one of those guys. He needs the elite D nad running game to be effective and if you need them then you aren't an NFL caliber starting QB

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How are stating facts "foolish"?  Sanchez is a BUST deluxe.  You don't trade into the top 5 of  draft and then scramble around making excuses for a guy in his 4th year.

He fumbles all the time, he's clearly regressed without a top rushing attack to hid behind and he only can throw slants and seams, which are easy, mid field passes.

Th guy simply blows. We've seen it.  Wait until Seatltle gets a hold of him on Sunday.  If not for NY gameplanning for weeks against the Pats, look at how he looks against other teams where they don't put so much attention into a gameplan. lol

That's why he can look solid one week and then look like Jamarcus Russell the next.  Consistency is a foreign term to him.  The debacle against Miami 2 weeks ago was predictable because they put everything into the NE gameplans every year, so the letdown after the NE game was obvious.  Sign of weakness.

The longer those morons in NY think he's the answer, the more funny this is. What's even better is, McElroy's growth has been stunted, so it's unlikely he'll make it, Tebow clearly isn't a starter so NY either has to go QB early in the draft to waste a pick where they could use it elsewhere on the roster or they'll need to buy a pricey FA to spend for the position. McElroy is their best choice, so that's comical.

Over 40 million wasted in another top 10 bust for the Jets.

Regardless, they'll (Tannenbum and Rex) to try to salvage their jobs.   It should be very interesting to see if Woody remains delusional after the season. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he does.

The long, slow destruction of that franchise will be a joy to watch from afar.  It's almost better this way v.s. a quick blow up.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, sure did waste a lot of money on those playoff wins in his first two years in the NFL.  Who are those other QBs with 30 wins, 4 playoff road wins and without a losing season in the NFL careers? 

[/QUOTE]

That wasn't Sanchez that was a top 5 D and a top 3 running game... sigh, don't you even know how your team use to win games?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Trolls get on Pats fans for "living in the past" when this team actually wnet to the superbowl last year.  Sanchez has a few playoff wins and what else?  *crickets*  Talk about living in the past.  I guess when your team is overrated and starving for success making it to the AFC title game a while ago and bragging about it isn't "living in the past".  Talk about a double standard. Holy hypocrisy!

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Enjoy the memories from that playoff game from two years ago!  Maybe Tebow can get you guys back to the playoffs after he replaces Sanchez, you never know...just ask Cropapa. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't think the point is that Sanchez did anything wrong taking that contract. The real people who made the mistake are the Jets FO. 

Not only did they sign him, but they traded up for him. I believe their words were .... you cannot pass on a chance to get a franchise quarterback .... and he is the Sanchize ever since. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well as I get up and "stand at my desk" to reply to you right now, I just checked and yep, Sanchez blows when throwing over 25 times.

BLOWS.

What's comical about all of this is, Rogie Goodell has made it easier for QBs to do well and yours doesn't do well.

The comedy of what he will look like on Sunday between 4-7 PM will rival any Mel Brooks movie or you attempting to make a legitimate point as a jealous toad.

[/QUOTE]

Really, you just checked? Clearly, Sanchez is "ascending".  Look at his recent game against that "rebuilt" Patriot defense.  Oh, wait, didn't he have a top run game? 8 yards an attempt? Wow! Imagine how much better he would have been if it weren't for all the drops.

M. Sanchez 28/41 328 8.0 1 1 4-31 45.1 90.3[/QUOTE]

BRILLANT!!!! YOU ARE A WIND BAG EXTRAORDINAIRE WITH PORTFOLIO

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

sorry you felt the post was foolish, I thought it was very revealing. You stated "As poorly as Sanchez has been ranked, you cannot question his overall financial haul and his 2 AFC championship appearances." His financial haul is due to the Jets moronic front office selecting him to early and then singing him to the ridiculous extension last year to soothe his feelings! As for his two AFC appearances, like the article clearly broke down, they were in spite of him not because of him!

[/QUOTE]

Quag,

I didnt mean what you said was foolish. I meant the article was foolish.

I thought it was foolish not because I think Sanchez is a great QB. Nor am I a Jet fan. I thought it foolish to question Sanchez's decision (which Carroll did) after seeing the financial haul Sanchez pocketed, and his 2 AFC championship appearances. On the contrary, Sanchez would have been foolish to NOT come out. It also seems pretty elementary to me that Sanchez did not gamble coming out, as he was given assurances on where he would be picked before deciding.   

Lastly, I wonder if Sanchez and Flacco switched teams, if the Jets would still be in the same situation, as well as the Ravens? If Sanchez had Ray Rice, Boldin, Smith and the Oline, as well as the Ravens defense, would the RAvens still be contending for the AFC title with Sanchez as the QB? I think they would.

Sections
Shortcuts