Great read about the Pats from a NY reporter...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Great read about the Pats from a NY reporter...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/05/sports/football/05patriots.html?_r=1&src=twrhp

This was shocking to me:

"According to Football Outsiders, Brady has completed 7 of 13 deep passes for 220 yards since Moss was traded, better than when Moss was with the team, and the offense ranks first in points per game. "

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Re: Great read about the Pats from a NY reporter...

Yeah, I read that this morning.  It is the second long article in that paper about the PATS in about a month or so.  I like the Times sports pages.  Better writers than the Globe I think but less coverage overall. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The Tate play is a big reason for those stats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I'm glad the offense is finally getting the recognition it deserves.  #2 in points per drive, #1 in TDs per drive, and #2 in third down conversion percentage.  And the offense has the highest defense-adjusted value over average in the league.  Keep up the good work O'Brien!

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=TM&statisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=DOWN_3RD_PERCENTAGE&d-447263-n=1

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

haha

Mighty trying to bait me.

It's more like Brady is a legend and the TEs have really made the offense more balanced.

The red zone offense has absolutely improved.  Now if we can just see better clock management.

We'll see NE's D less on the field.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Great read about the Pats from a NY reporter...:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/05/sports/football/05patriots.html?_r=1&src=twrhp This was shocking to me: "According to Football Outsiders, Brady has completed 7 of 13 deep passes for 220 yards since Moss was traded, better than when Moss was with the team, and the offense ranks first in points per game. "
    Posted by Pats7393

Interesting stat.  They didn't define what a deep pass was...greater than 20 yards? Plus, it'd be interesting to see how many of those yards were YACs.

In addition, the article did a nice job of suggesting the possible good and bad things about losing Moss.

"

According to Football Outsiders, Brady has completed 7 of 13 deep passes for 220 yards since Moss was traded, better than when Moss was with the team, and the offense ranks first in points per game.

But there are risks to the Patriots’ strategy. Without Moss drawing defenders deep and outside the numbers, Wes Welker has almost no room to move in the middle. In the three games without Moss, Welker is averaging 34 receiving yards (it was 54.25 with Moss on the field), and his yards per reception average has dropped by more than a yard.

"
    When the team is 6-1; it's hard to complain about moves Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I don't care if Welker or Moss is doubled.  The point is, you can't leave either in single coverage.

So, if Welker is the guy whose stats look crappy, good!

Even with Moss gone, NE has the weaponry.

This means draw plays will be more lethal when you have DBs or LBs focusing on Welker in the slot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Can you imagine what this offense would be like with an impact RB? No disrespect to BJGE who has done a more than adequate job, but a bruiser or break away or combination back who is a little of both could make this offense very difficult to defend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

everyone has a throw this WR here and a TE here, RB there well that's us that really don't break down film.

Imagine D coordinators having to face this O and all the weapons without a true #1.  Who do they take away?  WW, ok who accounts for hernandez and woody or Gronk running a fly up the middle I mean the list goes on and the RB is improving. 

I love BJGE and believe he can be a #1 on consistent basis.  Pats running game is not meant for a dancer or cut back type RB.  It is for a guy to get the ball and hit the hole quick something law firm does very well.  We have a homerun RB woody, a 1st and 2nd down back need that big short yard type guy but overall I like what we have. 

Also seen Tate fighting to get open more (not due to the long play) if he can create some separation watch out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I wonder why BB felt Pierre Thomas was available with all their RB issues in NOs?

Apparently, he was and I find that just strange.

But, yeah, imagine Mark Ingram here.  Is Maurice Jones-Drew a FA in 2011?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Great read about the Pats from a NY reporter...:
    I wonder why BB felt Pierre Thomas was available with all their RB issues in NOs? Apparently, he was and I find that just strange. But, yeah, imagine Mark Ingram here.  Is Maurice Jones-Drew a FA in 2011?
    Posted by BBReigns

Russ, you seriously think they'll try to get Ingram? It makes great draft talk but I just don't see us drafting a RB that high.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/rb.html

Here's a list of FAs by position, notable RBs:

DeAngelo Williams
    Jamaal charles
    Cedric Benson
    Jerome Harrison (could be fairly cheap compared to others)
    Michael Bush
    Ronnie Brow (he has not looked the same after the knee)
    Le'Ron McClain (FB who can also run the ball as a RB, this might be a player who ends up as a Patriot.  Takes over for the aging Morris)
    Ahmad Bradshaw

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I see the Giants locking up Bradshaw. What are they going to do otherwise? Give the rock back to Jacobs? HA, RIGHT!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Um, Jamal Charles?  I cannot see KC letting him walk.  He'll likely command huge dollars as will DeAngleo Williams.  He;s another I like, but I just don't like the big money idea.

Harrison is intriguing because, like you said, not big money.

Sign me up as a fan who thinks the O Line is really the key and that I don't want to overpay.

This is why I would sign off on Ingram with a rookie cap, hopefully, with the Raiders pick.

Or, maybe a sign and trade for a Maurice JOnes-Drew, similar to the Dillon trade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Great read about the Pats from a NY reporter...:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/05/sports/football/05patriots.html?_r=1&src=twrhp This was shocking to me: "According to Football Outsiders, Brady has completed 7 of 13 deep passes for 220 yards since Moss was traded, better than when Moss was with the team, and the offense ranks first in points per game. "
    Posted by Pats7393

This is a great article. Thanks for sending along. Funny to see such a good article about the Pats written by a NY reporter. Why couldn't it come from Boston?...

I am still concerned about our receiving game. We know that Welker and Hernandez will get theirs. If Branch can stay healthy, and if Tate can step up (just a little), this receiving offense will be good. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Because it won't get the ratings. It might not in NY either, but it's the NY Times, which clearly is the largest and most successful

Boston Globe, while owned by the Times, is smaller and needs to maximize it's agenda here.

A glowing article like this doesn't get the same amount of clicks on their webpage.  It's that simple. They'll look at clicks and base their approach off that.

Shalise, Mazz, Gasper, Bob Ryan, CHB, etc...their silence is really what makes this obvious.

Gasper wrote a little confessional on Monday, Mazz a half hearted one, but overall, they are still instructed to use that anti-BB angle to sell advertising.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

O'Brien needs to  come up with more throws to Hernandez.  The dude is an amazing YAC machine.  2 receptions against Minnesota, 5 SD and 4 Baltimore.  This does not cut it.

It is criminal to under utilities this guy.  We need to target him a minimum of 10X a game.  He is the fix to the 3 and out issue we have at times.  I believe Brady/O'Brien are targeting Welker (most drops on the team) way to much, kinda like wasting throws to Randy when he was still on the team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Too bad there is no comment section after the article.  I would have loved to read Jets fans reactions to this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Great read about the Pats from a NY reporter...:
    O'Brien needs to  come up with more throws to Hernandez.  The dude is an amazing YAC machine.  2 receptions against Minnesota, 5 SD and 4 Baltimore.  This does not cut it. It is criminal to under utilities this guy.  We need to target him a minimum of 10X a game.  He is the fix to the 3 and out issue we have at times.  I believe Brady/O'Brien are targeting Welker (most drops on the team) way to much, kinda like wasting throws to Randy when he was still on the team.
    Posted by Tcal2

THANK YOU.

Why he is ever off the field, I have no idea. He should be getting the Moss rep rate.

I also like how they are starting to use him to block, because once he becomes a solid blocker, it will be like when Tony Gonzalez started to block and teams had no idea if the play was a run or pass.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Sorry if I am becoming redundant around here, but if we're on the topic of RB's I still say we draft LaMichael James in the third round.  I like his explosion to compliment Law Firms down hill style. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

BTW let's not over look that part of the article that states : 

"The Patriots’ defense ranks 28th in the league (in 2001, it was 24th)."  This is with a much improving D.  Hopefully better things to come as we go a long. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yup.

Some of us pointed this out last week.  And 24th, was end of year. 

NE has been steadily climbing in most areas, including 3rd down D.

In fact, they are improved in every single defensive area last year.  Maybe not red zone rushing TDs, since they led the league last year in that category, but pretty much everything else is improved.

If for some reason, they can get more production out of the pass rush as the season goes, maybe with the front 7 being even more comfortable in the system, that will help them even more.

But, all signs point to this progressing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Their D is definitely improving as they get more reps.  One thing they are very vulnerable to right now is the play action pass.  Spikes and Mayo are really getting it done against the run.  Fun to watch that but they bite enough on any fake handoff that it leaves the whole middle of the field open.  I watched the game on NFL replay the other night and Favre really exploited this, as have other teams this year.  This is also exacerbated by the Pats choice to play Merriweather so deep on some plays. 

Sections
Shortcuts