Great Read: Common Thread in 3 Playoff Losses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Re: Great Read: Common Thread in 3 Playoff Losses

Maybe a great read but all I got out of it was the slow start and not enough protection. Did not explain why it happens in the playoffs vs the regular season. Could it be they just had a bad game? Or how about if he just hands the ball off for the entire 1st quater.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Considering what I know about the team in the regular season:

- They protect Brady well
    - Brady plays well, downright perfect, when healthy
    - They're pretty diverse with play-calling (at times it lacks like 2009 but at other times it's great like this year)
    - Players execute well and play well in situational football

All of those things crash in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Great Read: Common Thread in 3 Playoff Losses:
    Maybe a great read but all I got out of it was the slow start and not enough protection. Did not explain why it happens in the playoffs vs the regular season. Could it be they just had a bad game? Or how about if he just hands the ball off for the entire 1st quater.
    Posted by fourjays30

-

Yes, it is a very interesting read, and I found something of value in just a quick scan, this:

"Dating back to 2003, Brady has gone 120 consecutive regular season starts without getting sacked five times. Yet, it's happened twice in his last three playoff games."

And this:

"Combined, Brady has been brought down 13 times in his past three postseason starts. This contrasts significantly to the dynasty years of the early 2000s. In Brady's first nine playoff games, he was brought down a total of 12 times."

Of course Beli-genius is every bit as smart as Mr. Reis so can't we assume that he has been looking back at past playoff games as well?  Either he has failed to adjust or maybe he just can't do a damn thing about it.

And "offensive rhythm". 

Getting continually forced out of their offensive rhythm (getting forced out of their bread and butter offense. ) in the playoffs where it's one and done speaks to a lack of preparation and execution.

And this, isn't it worthy of note?

"Since 2007, Brady has committed only five first-quarter turnovers in 49 regular season games. The Patriots are 41-8 in those starts.

He has four turnovers in his past three postseason games. The Patriots have lost all three."

I've been waiting for an article like this, thanks for linking to it.  I hope there are more to come.

Those who don't pay attention to history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.   Or something like that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Great Read: Common Thread in 3 Playoff Losses:

Good read, had the same thoughts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Here's the piece of info that I found most interesting

average score 23.2
    average opponent score 17

average score 23.2
    average opponent score 21.6

average score 21.8
    average opponent score 14.9

average score 27.3
    average opponent score 16.2

average score 23.7
    average opponent score 21.1

average score 24.1
    average opponent score 14.8

average score 36.8
    average opponent score 17.1

average score 25.6
    average opponent score 19.3

average score 26.7
    average opponent score 17.8

average score 32.4
    average opponent score 19.6

So the top 5 O's in order were:

07' - Lost in SB
    10' - Lost in 1st playoff game
    04' - Won SB
    09' - Lost in 1st playoff game
    08' - Missed playoffs

Top 5 D's in order:

06' - Lost in AFC Champ
    03' - Won SB
    04' - Won SB
    01' - Won SB
    07' - Lost in SB

Anyone else notice a pattern? Yes we need to replace OLineman but the focus should be on making the D a top 10 D again which should be accomplished with the addition of 2 pass rushers. RB and WR's are secondary to fixing the D and replacing the OLine

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Good thoughts. 

Overall I think it's kind of convoluted to just blame the oline when Brady is sacked. Maybe they deserve most of the blame, but many times people were either covered or Tom was confused. There were plenty of times were Brady played great games against a lot of pressure (the '07 season finale comes to mind) and was very successful. Without being a coach it's easy to blame one person or the oline, but the unit as a whole failed. that's all that matters in the end.

Hopefully they can stock up on the dline and find a d lineman who can play all three downs, because right now they have very specialized parts that don't do both well. 

Here's the piece of info that I found most interesting 2001 average score 23.2 average opponent score 17 2002 average score 23.2 average opponent score 21.6 2003 average score 21.8 average opponent score 14.9 2004 average score 27.3 average opponent score 16.2 2005 average score 23.7 average opponent score 21.1 2006 average score 24.1 average opponent score 14.8 2007 average score 36.8 average opponent score 17.1 2008 average score 25.6 average opponent score 19.3 2009 average score 26.7 average opponent score 17.8 2010 average score 32.4 average opponent score 19.6 So the top 5 O's in order were: 07' - Lost in SB 10' - Lost in 1st playoff game 04' - Won SB 09' - Lost in 1st playoff game 08' - Missed playoffs Top 5 D's in order: 06' - Lost in AFC Champ 03' - Won SB 04' - Won SB 01' - Won SB 07' - Lost in SB Anyone else notice a pattern? Yes we need to replace OLineman but the focus should be on making the D a top 10 D again which should be accomplished with the addition of 2 pass rushers. RB and WR's are secondary to fixing the D and replacing the OLine
    Posted by PatsEng

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Didn't you get the memo that it was all Bill O'brien's fault? Even in 2007 his sinister presence cost them greatness!

I'm kidding of course and am wondering why they aren't able to bring their A game for the playoffs. I'm sure they'll get it fixed because it's pretty apparent there are issues now.

Considering what I know about the team in the regular season: - They protect Brady well - Brady plays well, downright perfect, when healthy - They're pretty diverse with play-calling (at times it lacks like 2009 but at other times it's great like this year) - Players execute well and play well in situational football All of those things crash in the playoffs.
    Posted by apdynasty23

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

The big question is why they do not come to play in the playoffs anymore.  What is that all about?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Rock I wasn't saying it was the OLines fault what I was referring to when I said they need to be replaced is that Light is a FA this year and 32, Mankins is a FA, Neal said next year is his last year, and Koppen is debating retirement as well. That's 80% of our line heading to FA or thinking about retiring in the next 2 years. We need to find replacements for them. Hopefully we can resign Mankins but even if we do we still need to find a RG (Connolly was nice as a fill in but I don't want to see him as a full time starter), a C (Koppen looking to retire is going to hurt a lot if we can't find a suitable replacement. A fill in C will get Brady killed), and a RT (Vollmer will move over to LT and even if Light is resigned he had a good year but is still being bet by rushers from playoff teams. We need someone who can bet those quick rushers not just hold them off for a bit). To me that means we're looking at a 60% turn around in the next 2 years which is huge.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

Everyone is asking about what's missing come playoffs...and we all know the answers...firstly is experience and leadership on both sides of the ball, and, we lacked it on defense both this year and last year. The second thing is plain and simple defense. The playoffs are a different kind of pressure because so much is on the line with every play and miscue. And a good offense needs to have the confidence that if they make a mistake, they have a rock-solid defense ready to protect their mistakes so they can come back out and take the ball again. 

Our defense held up admirably all year, but we eventually, too much pressure falls on both sides of the ball, which is what happened against NYJ. 

We need pass rushers. Violent, mean, and nasty players that terrify QBs and blockers alike. We don't have that right now. Vince Wilfork needs the double-team pressure taken off him with a terrorizing DE to keep blockers worried from multi angles and rush the QB's decision-making. And I think secondly, is to bolster our linebackers with another rushing threat. It's all been said. But we do this, even if our offense is turning over the ball in downs, we know we'll be right back out on the field in a few minutes for another shot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan36. Show soxfan36's posts

Jets sent 3 guys 44 out of 55 (or something like that) plays and got pressure and sacks on Brady.....I don't know but that sounds like the OL is giving up way too much ground or the WR and TE's are just not getting open......to me the former sounds more consistent..a weak OL. Impossible 3 straight postseasons for WR and TE's to have bad games....maybe not impossible, but unlikely. I also feel Light is a liability on Brady's blindside against better competition.
    Posted by sday4x4

Boy, if that's true (and i'm not saying it isn't) you have to point to the OL as the main problem. Even with 8 guys in coverage you should be able to buy enough time from your OL to wait for someone to break free. I suppose the receivers deserve some percentage of the blame as well since they couldn't get open or failed to improvise once their primary routes were run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

That would be a lot of turnover. I was more referring to the article which just uses sacks as the statistic that stands out, but didn't really differentiate btw pressure and coverage sacks.

Is Koppen really considering retirement? Not to be overly critical, but I thought picking pouncey last year might've been a good move bc of Kopes performance over the last few years. I know he does a good job of organizing the line, but he does get bullied quite a bit. I could see an upgrade there for sure. Hopefully they can figure something out with Mankins...

Rock I wasn't saying it was the OLines fault what I was referring to when I said they need to be replaced is that Light is a FA this year and 32, Mankins is a FA, Neal said next year is his last year, and Koppen is debating retirement as well. That's 80% of our line heading to FA or thinking about retiring in the next 2 years. We need to find replacements for them. Hopefully we can resign Mankins but even if we do we still need to find a RG (Connolly was nice as a fill in but I don't want to see him as a full time starter), a C (Koppen looking to retire is going to hurt a lot if we can't find a suitable replacement. A fill in C will get Brady killed), and a RT (Vollmer will move over to LT and even if Light is resigned he had a good year but is still being bet by rushers from playoff teams. We need someone who can bet those quick rushers not just hold them off for a bit). To me that means we're looking at a 60% turn around in the next 2 years which is huge.
    Posted by PatsEng

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkulacz. Show mkulacz's posts

I think it shows that Brady is not a QB who can individually win a SuperBowl, no matter how much talent you give him. Great QB. HOF'r. But he's not that kind of QB.

BB is a defensive minded coach, trying to morph himself into leading an offensive superpower. Its good enough to get his team great records in the regular season and in the playoffs, but its not good enough to win a Superbowl.

BB always says - play to your stengths. Perhaps he should look in the mirror.

The OL is not the problem. The highest paid player - and QB - in the league should be smart enough to know how to respond to an offensive line that cracks a little in the postseason. No excuses. I understand a Matt Hasselbeck or Matt Ryan, if they look back, being able to blame the OLine a little. But geeze louise, this is Tom Brady! Best QB of all time - ever!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jets sent 3 guys 44 out of 55 (or something like that) plays and got pressure and sacks on Brady.....I don't know but that sounds like the OL is giving up way too much ground or the WR and TE's are just not getting open......to me the former sounds more consistent..a weak OL. Impossible 3 straight postseasons for WR and TE's to have bad games....maybe not impossible, but unlikely. I also feel Light is a liability on Brady's blindside against better competition.
    Posted by sday4x4

Or something like that? You might want to watch the game again because a majority of the plays had 4-5 rushing or during the 3 man rushes usually had a spy watching the RB then would go after Brady once the pocket collapsed or the RB left there zone. Though the Oline still should of been able to handle 4-5 man rushes

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Here's the piece of info that I found most interesting 2001 average score 23.2 average opponent score 17 2002 average score 23.2 average opponent score 21.6 2003 average score 21.8 average opponent score 14.9 2004 average score 27.3 average opponent score 16.2 2005 average score 23.7 average opponent score 21.1 2006 average score 24.1 average opponent score 14.8 2007 average score 36.8 average opponent score 17.1 2008 average score 25.6 average opponent score 19.3 2009 average score 26.7 average opponent score 17.8 2010 average score 32.4 average opponent score 19.6 So the top 5 O's in order were: 07' - Lost in SB 10' - Lost in 1st playoff game 04' - Won SB 09' - Lost in 1st playoff game 08' - Missed playoffs Top 5 D's in order: 06' - Lost in AFC Champ 03' - Won SB 04' - Won SB 01' - Won SB 07' - Lost in SB Anyone else notice a pattern? Yes we need to replace OLineman but the focus should be on making the D a top 10 D again which should be accomplished with the addition of 2 pass rushers. RB and WR's are secondary to fixing the D and replacing the OLine
    Posted by PatsEng

SPOT ON!!!!!

The offense is fine, in my opinion it will even get better now that Gronk, Hernandez, Tate, Edelmann etc have a little experience. If the defense can improve to where they can be counted on consistently, and they can find a solid pass rush, it will take a lot of the pressure off of the offense and will actually allow the offense to take some more risks. They were 8-10 'plays' away from beating the Jets, (i.e. Alge's drop of the touchdown, the interception, the long completion after they got it back to 14-11, the fake punt debacle and just a few others). None of those mistakes are uncorrectable. Yep, I am an optimist as far as the Pats are concerned, sorry if that bothers the doom and gloomers...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

There is a lot to figure out and it is tough just watching what you see on TV

1) As we know the Pats were winning by getting early leads
        If I'm not mistaken - all 3 SB games we got way out in front
          and held on at the end. This is also the case against Indie
          where we have lost and won
    2) I heard that the Pats took a late warm up and did not look
        as highly pumped as the Jests  - I almost felt the same in the SB
          and last years Revens team. 
    3) Does the O set it self up to fail? The 1st Qtr Playoff stats are interesting.
        It is almost as if the Good Defenses that they play come in and smack the
        Pats down and take the Pats out of their rythm
    4) I thought that the 2 TE Offense was to bolster both the run
        and the passing game? Post Moss at least 1 Receiver could get open.
        Especially on a check own or delayed - never happened - why?
    5)  Down here in Jest land FAt Rex used what they call a "Cloud" Coverage
        which negated anyone being open short and defending against the run.
           Was there a chematic answer or play calling answer to this?
    6) Although the Pats did have the Jests on the ropes on the first drive until the
        INT - I couldn't believe the screen Play call - for Christs sake they just ran
        reverses and the one play the Jests are aware of is the screen- especially    
        that early in the game. and it was the worst play of TB's career
    7) We knew our DLine was thin going in - and it played OK
        Spikes didn't seem the same as pre suspension
        We got some pressure but not much on Sanhez
    5) Giving up field possesion was not the D's fault
        all year long it was a bend but don't break group
        And 3 of the scores came off the short field
    6) If you look at the Stats except for the INT and Fake punt- the Pats
         played even or better.
    7) The Pats made several key msitakes and the Jests none

So I wonder that if we were to play again could we win?
    Or were we outschemed, out played and or have less intensity?
    Did we get punched in the face and couldn't respond fast enough?
    Is it just the wrong match up for us?

My feeling in all of these losses is that we were in a dog fight,
    fell behind and just couldn't play our regular Offensive game
    which put the D in a horrendous position
    Along with the fact the other team made some great

I think i just want to see us get some tough athletic guys here.
    And I think we will win again. I think the next time our guys will go
    in with a chip on their shoulder -

I am going to watch the game agian tonite
    but i really need more ansers form the gallery here

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Seawolf - I'm sorry but I stopped reading after your first point not being correct

Superbowl XXXIX -

1st Quarter 0-3
    2nd Quarter 14-3
    3rd Quarter 17-3
    4th Quarter 20-17 (Last minute FG)

Superbowl XXXIX -

1st Quarter 0-0
    2nd Quarter 7-7
    3rd Quarter 14-14
    4th Quarter 24-21 (Last minute FG)

Superbowl XXXVII -

1st Quarter 0-0
    2nd Quarter 14-10
    3rd Quarter 14-10
    4th Quarter 32-29 (Last minute FG)

With the exception of 2 quarters at of 12 they were never ahead by more then 4 points. I would not consider that being well ahead in any of them. Now looking back they won their SB's because the D came up big and held on a couple drives when they needed to.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

So far, every playoff game we lost, we had fewer points at the end than the other team did.  I think that means something.  

Really, it does.  I don't think you can say offense or defense, when we lost in the SB it was a defense that couldn't stop the game winning drive, but the offense that couldn't score on the NEXT drive.  I say both failed.  The Ravens game.  BOTH sides failed completely.  The Jet game.  Both sides again, add in special teams errors or failures and theres a ball game.  Just do a bit better in all three phases and I believe you are good.  JUST A BIT BETTER.  Gronk turns around on two swing passes and catches a ball thrown (correctly) to his outside shoulder, drive sustained, defense changes focus, things open up, we do fine.  The Jets won on the perfect storm of stuttering offense, mistakes on defense, and ST errors.  Fix any portion, and the other two portions may not even happen.  This team isn't the team from 2007.  Or 2009.  So stop prosecuting them for the crimes of those teams.  This team is young, and make little errors.  I think that is about all.  If it wasn't the Jets, and I had so much on the line emotionally, it would have been painful, but more tolerable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Seawolf - I'm sorry but I stopped reading after your first point not being correct Superbowl XXXIX - 1st Quarter 0-3 2nd Quarter 14-3 3rd Quarter 17-3 4th Quarter 20-17 (Last minute FG) Superbowl XXXIX - 1st Quarter 0-0 2nd Quarter 7-7 3rd Quarter 14-14 4th Quarter 24-21 (Last minute FG) Superbowl XXXVII - 1st Quarter 0-0 2nd Quarter 14-10 3rd Quarter 14-10 4th Quarter 32-29 (Last minute FG) With the exception of 2 quarters at of 12 they were never ahead by more then 4 points. I would not consider that being well ahead in any of them. Now looking back they won their SB's because the D came up big and held on a couple drives when they needed to.
    Posted by PatsEng

PatsEng

They were up 24-14, 17-3, 21-10 in the SB wins
    2 scores late in the game are big to me
    and in the context of most football games
    I think we were way up on Indie and way up on SD

In the Giant SB they were up 7-3 late
    but 7 pts for that team was nothing
    and "felt"  we were behind

My point (as we all know) is that lately the Pats haven't
    Scored in the playoffs like in the respective
    regular season games

Is it the Oline, the receivers, the QB, the scheme
    or not being prepared to play playoff games?\\
    Until we know the answer to this we cannot
    know what we should do

If our O had played like the season, the D was good enough
    But we need more on D too

I am very happy with the youngsters on this team and
    cannot wait for the draft etc

The fans on this blog are very knowledgable
    -more than I am in remembering details -
    I look forward to reading the different comments here
    And look to learn from anyone with some logic
    including yours

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Seawolf against Phi the only time they were up by two scores was midway through the 4th holding a 2 score lead for a little under 7 mins. The entire game was practically a tie affair until then. Against Car the only time they were up by 2 scores was again in the 4th and that only lasted 2 mins and 10 secs other then that Car was always within a TD. Combined they held a 2 score lead for about 9 mins total. At no point would call having a 2 score lead for 9 mins out of 120 mins being way ahead of anyone. I'd actually call that more then manageable by any team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think the answer is complex, but the number one aspect (for me) is coaching brain-drain.

It seems like they haven't been prepared offensively for what the other team does. BB tends to handle the defensive side of the ball. 

But when Weiss was here they always had a great game plan, and made great adjustments. One of the biggest, most visible, differences between the early 2000's is how the offense adjusts at half time. They just don't seem to do it anymore when they are struggling. 

It also always seems like they spend more time in the two-minute drill when they are behind, and then by the second half, the other team has already seen the two minute package they have put together for the week. 

Third,and this can't be understated, the offensive line is not as good as the one that won superbowls. It is visibly worse on the interior. They never used to have protection issues against interior linemen, these last few seasons they have.

Fourth, a lot is about the type of talent they have at WR. They have had Randy and Welker during this span. Neither of these players are big game type of WRs. One is a slot and the other is a pure deep threat. They have been limited that way. NE should try and secure some reliable outside WRs. Branch is ok, but he isn't the player he used to be. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Great article.  Using stats to confirm what we already know, Offence has sucked the last 3 Playoff games.  Want to earn a Pulitzer Prize?  Write an article on how to solve the problem.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

I see 3 teams that were transitioning from a core group of aging players to a much younger one.

Also theres been an almost annual change in coaching which showed up different approaches especially on the offensive side. Could there have been a different result in the Jets game if there were a few plays that emphasized protection, shotgun maybe? Ditch O'Brien that would be a good thread to cut after this embarassment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Great analysis, P.E.

Maybe it is true that defense wins championships.

I am emotionally drained from these 3 playoff losses.

Getting tired of these high flying offenses that get shut down by good defenses in the playoffs.

Posted by PatsEng

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think our spread offense with Brady in the shotgun and a third down back like Faulk or Woodhead has gotten pretty stale.  We run it way too much, and our offense tends to stall when we rely on it too heavily.

We need more variety on offense.  We need a real wideout.  Most of all we need a straight-up running game with a decent tailback.  Who knows, maybe we could even resurrect a fullback . . . 

Heath Evans anyone?

Sections
Shortcuts