Great win for our Patriots tonight....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Great win for our Patriots tonight....

Well, its a win and a division one at that. lucky we weren't playing against a legit QB because he would have lit the defense up. Given the offemses woes, that game was ripe for the taking for the. Jets. 

i get that the rooks need p,aging time and will get better as the season progresses. What I don't like is the lack of concentration and focus on the field. Case in point Dobson. He came advertised as having Moss like hands. Well, he let at least 3 catchable balls slip through his grasp.  Can't have that. A few poorly run routes as well, one of which should have been a td. 

with Gronk, Danny and Edelman, vereen, the rooks had some cushion for development. Not the case now. they have to produce for us to win against the good teams like Atlanta. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Well, its a win and a division one at that. lucky we weren't playing against a legit QB because he would have lit the defense up. Given the offemses woes, that game was ripe for the taking for the. Jets. 

i get that the rooks need p,aging time and will get better as the season progresses. What I don't like is the lack of concentration and focus on the field. Case in point Dobson. He came advertised as having Moss like hands. Well, he let at least 3 catchable balls slip through his grasp.  Can't have that. A few poorly run routes as well, one of which should have been a td. 

with Gronk, Danny and Edelman, vereen, the rooks had some cushion for development. Not the case now. they have to produce for us to win against the good teams like Atlanta. 

2nd time I've heard that, still wondering how you guys came about this opinion?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because we can't get pressure on QB's and even though the secondary is playing well there are holes to be exploited (see Hill wide open for a TD that Geno completely missed)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

No, no denying it was ugly.

Reasons for pessimism: No Gronk, No Amendola, No Vereen, rookies not on page with Brady, OL (tonight) poor in creating holes for Ridley and Blount. KR has been flat. Ghost had a miss.

Reasons for optimism: Gronk returns in 1-2 weeks, Amendola returns in 4-6 weeks (I think that is the timetable at the moment), Vereen returns in Week 11. Meanwhile the rookies get valuable reps with Brady. The OL is still exellent in pass protection, and is usually better helping the running backs. The D has played well, and better this year compared to playing similar teams in previous years. PR have been good. Ghost was clutch against Buffalo, making the gamewinner, something he failed to do last year vs. Arizona. There doesn't seem to have been a major drop in punting, and return coverage has been well in general, which was a concern in preseason.

Supra societatem nemo

Agree with most everything you said. I would add that until some of the key guys return, this team's character will be thoroughly tested. If they win 7 out of the first 10 games, then load up, watch out for this team.

Also, on a separate point, of course rookies improve with experience. Why is this point arguable? Dobson and Thompson have shown flashes of talent but lack consistency and reliability. These are hallmarks of young players. They will get better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

We threw the young guys into the fire on offense and got them some valuable PT. The defense, while still playing a very vanilla defensive game plan won the game for us. I saw offensive skill position players with good athletic ability. The E/P offensive system is complicated, these guys will need reps, and they will need confidence.

Great grind it out effort by Julin Edelman, and great effort by Ridley running into a wall his last 10 carries and not fumbling/ killing some clock.

2-0 with a brand new receiving core, (literally) no Gronk,Danny, or Vareen, and for some reason what appears to be a step above a preseason defensive game plan.

I guess "great" has different meanings Laughing

I wouldn't say it was a great win. Yes, they won the game - which is good. 

I think the defense did their job - with 4 takeaways - and keeping a pro offense to 10 pts. - what is there to argue with there, right? The only caveat - is that the game was against a rookie QB and an offense that doesn't score many points anyway.

In regards to the running game - it was anemic - producing 54 yards, 40 belonging to Ridley; who did a good job protecting the ball (except almost missed the pitch from Brady at the end of the game) but was NOT running naturally.  However, the Jets run defense looked solid. Give them credit for taking the run away and getting after Brady. The Jets d kept their team in last nights game.

Edelman stepped up last night. That's good and bad. He made some critical plays throughout the game; which ultimately helped the Patriots score just enough points - but it's bad because it means the other WRs and TEs weren't doing their job.

Did you see BB's face after the last second clicked off the clock and he was running back to the locker room with the team? It was more like, he was "grateful" for the win. It will be interesting to see if BB puts anyone's balls in a vise this upcoming week and a half.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to kylerocks' comment:

The young guns were nervous obviously but they showed a knack but beating their man and getting open, they just didn't always know where to break, stop or catch the  ball in their hands but they will calm down and get on the same page with TB and by December this offense will be very strong again.  By next year it will be elite again.  You can see the talent, they just need the time. I'll bet by next year our WR corp will look a lot more like Denver's, once these rooks become Vets (Except Amendola will still be hurt so hopefully Boyce can play the Welker role.  He seems to be built sort of like WW)

Good post Kyle, you need to spend more time over here, there's nothing going on over on the Celtic's board anyhow...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Because we can't get pressure on QB's and even though the secondary is playing well there are holes to be exploited (see Hill wide open for a TD that Geno completely missed)

As usual we have rarely done in seasons pastathe 1st few games of the year, we mainly sent 4 pass rushers only. This produced 4 sacks? Or 5. I can't remember. How is that not getting pressure? Wait till we actually scheme to blitz a QB. I saw a defense that hastgotten better each year since 2009! And I saw plenty of pressure for a D that was scheming to flood passing lanes and contain the run....just like the Buffalo game.

Damn I pad.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

even though the secondary is playing well there are holes to be exploited (see Hill wide open for a TD that Geno completely missed)

All defenses catch breaks when the QB doesn't see a guy who is open or makes a poor throw.  It's part of the game.

9. This post has been removed.