Greatest achievement in sports history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Greatest achievement in sports history?

What do you think? What was the single greatest individual achievement in the history of sports?

Just to start the ball rolling I'm going to say Bobby Orr leading the NHL in scoring as a defenseman, not once, but twice!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Greatest achievement in sports history?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1002/olympics.winter.hockey.miracle.on.ice/content.1.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

1980 USA Hockey team over the Ruskies.

If it was a collective achievement I would say the Celtics 9 Championships in 10 years!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Rusell's 11 championships in 13 years, 2 as player coach and with frequently changing teammates.  And, no, I am not at all objective.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I asked for "individual".

But, while we're on the subject.... why was 1980 team greater than 1960?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/tuckrule2_zpsf11d0037.gif

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Sorry, kinda think of the team as one. The difference in talent between the 1960 team and the rest of the world was far less than the strength of the Soviets versus the Americans in 1980.

Here is my individual..

http://www.biography.com/people/jesse-owens-9431142

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Michael Phelps breaking Mark Spitz record

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm going with Ted Williams .344 BA and 1.116 OPS despite not only having a long 21 year career but also missing the majority of his prime while fighting in 2 wars (39 combat missions in Korea). Doesn't matter what era you are talking about, a player would be lucky to have one of those years yet alone over a 21 year career

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

Not the greatest moment but one of the most inspiring.....this was painful to watch live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUEtBQNqU2E

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

What do you think? What was the single greatest individual achievement in the history of sports?

Just to start the ball rolling I'm going to say Bobby Orr leading the NHL in scoring as a defenseman, not once, but twice!

I would count Russel as an individual achievement given his consistent performance and being the leader of 11 championship teams in 13 seasons. Total domination of a sport, be it a team sport or not. 

I would say the Sox come back over the yanks in 04 was the greatest achievement for 1 team.

But to keep it in hockey, I would have to say Wayne Gretzky's 9 MVP awards are about as good as it gets in any sport.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Jesse Ownes 4 Gold Medal performance at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin under the intense spotlight surronding the event is the single greatest performance for me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

40 years ago Secretariat won the Belmont by 31 lengths in a track record time that still stands today while capturing the 1973 Triple Crown of racing.

Secretariat averaged 37.5 miles an hour during the race and finished in 2:24, two seconds faster than the next best times at the Belmont Stakes. Easy Goer ran 2:26 in 1989, and A.P. Indy did the same three years later. They would've lost to Secretariat by about 10 lengths.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

1980 USA Hockey team over the Ruskies.

If it was a collective achievement I would say the Celtics 9 Championships in 10 years!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

RESPONSE: I agree completely about the 1980 US hockey team. They beat a Russian team that had just previously embarrassed an NHL all-star squad. It was the equivalent of Boston University beating an NHL all-star team, that had played together on a regular basis, for 10 years. 

It was the greatest upset win in sports history. Every time I think about it, it still gives me chills...and a sense of pride for being an American.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Because the Russian team on 1980 was better...or at least better known...than the Russian team on the 1960s. Remember, the 1980 Russian team had embarrassed an NHL all-star team, just prior to the 1980 Olympics.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Secretariat winning the Belmont by 30 plus lengths and setting a record that will stand forever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Greatest individual achievement? Bill Russell's string of winning 11 championships in 13 years, including two as a player/coach.

If you're looking for a single event...32 year old Muhammad Ali's upset knockout win over previously unbeaten champ, George Foreman, in Zaire, Africa.

There was also Carl Yastrzemski's triple crown season in 1967. That year, Yaz was like the fictional Roy Hobbs.

Bobby Orr leading the NHL in scoring, as a defenceman, while leading his B's to a Stanley Cup.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

[QUOTE]

40 years ago Secretariat won the Belmont by 31 lengths in a track record time that still stands today while capturing the 1973 Triple Crown of racing.

Secretariat averaged 37.5 miles an hour during the race and finished in 2:24, two seconds faster than the next best times at the Belmont Stakes. Easy Goer ran 2:26 in 1989, and A.P. Indy did the same three years later. They would've lost to Secretariat by about 10 lengths.

[/QUOTE]

He is moving like a tremendous machine!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Willie Mays catch, any highlight reel of Bobby Orr, Secretariat at the Belmont was a good one as tenace said but do horses count? Lol.

Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods/Jack Nicklaus' dominance..too many to choose just one!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

"At the time of Secretariat's death, the veterinarian who performed the necropsy, Dr. Thomas Swerczek, head pathologist at the University of Kentucky, did not weigh Secretariat's heart, but stated, "We just stood there in stunned silence. We couldn’t believe it. The heart was perfect. There were no problems with it. It was just this huge engine." Later, Swerczek also performed a necropsy on Sham, who died in 1993. Swerczek did weigh Sham's heart, and it was 18 pounds (8.2 kg). Based on Sham's measurement, and having necropsied both horses, he estimated Secretariat's heart probably weighed 22 pounds (10.0 kg), or about two-and-three-quarters times as large as that of the average horse." (wikipedia)

(Secretariat's distant ancestor Eclipses' heart (1789) weighed 14 pounds, and that was huge, almost 2x the size of a typical horse heart.) (Phar Lap's heart aslo weighed 14 pounds.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Love Orr, greatest Boston athlete that I've seen play (didn't see Williams and only saw Russell  when I was too young to know what I was watching).

But statistically at least, Babe Ruth was the greatest team sports performer of all time. He was an all-star pitcher (94-46 2.28) with Boston, among the best in the game. When he was traded in 1918, he had pitched 29 career postseason innings (all in the World Series back then of course) without giving up a single run, which was a record that lasted until 1961 (and he's still third on the list behind Mariano Rivera and Whitey Ford). In 1915 and 1916 he pitched a combined 650 innings with an ERA below 2 and won 47 games.

Then in 1918 he got traded and became an outfielder, had some success as a hitter I've heard...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

I know the memories are fading on this but I would nominate Rocky Marciano for retiring with a 49-0 record, including 43 knockouts, and for becoming the only heavyweight champion in history to never lose a single professional bout. He was born and raised in Brockton and was the son of Italian immigrants. A true American success story, he rose from poverty (his jobs included digging ditches) to become one of the country's most celebrated sports heroes.

Sections
Shortcuts