Greatest Patriot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

Greatest Patriot

Just a silly battle, who could choose.

Steve Nelson, Steve Grogan, Stanley Morgan, Ben Coates, Sam Cunningham, Ty Law, Troy Brown, Teddy Bruchi, Tom Brady, Bill Lenkaitis, Bruce Armstrong, Andre Tippet, Babe Parilli, I'm sure i'm missing some notables, but Just between these i'm thinking all dead  heats for Greates Patriots.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Greatest Patriot

In my personal order

Tom Brady
    Troy Brown
    Tedy Bruschi
    Willie McGinnest
    Kevin Faulk
    Vince Wilfork
    Rodney Harrison
    Wes Welker
    Ty Law

Yep.  I know how that looks.  How can you be the greatest though, if you didn't win a superbowl?  
    Wes is just that good that I took him anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Ty Law is the greatest Patriot of all time, just ask him. Anyway my top 3 would be Brady, Hannah, Tippett. I can't decide, I guess Brady #1. As for favorite player but not necessarily the greatest would be Troy Brown or Bruschi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

can't believe i didnt have Hannah on my list. Doh..

but for you youngins, you really need to look back at the old school players you do know there was a team prior to 2001? Right!

With that said, Greates patriot can mean many things. Long term player , what kind of contribution they had for the team and an organization.
    Grogan is right up there with Brady , Brady wins the toss though for his superbowls but Grogan, a true patriot, played 5 years after his neck was fused.

Sorry Rodney and Welker do not make my list Rodney was not here long enough and Welker same thing, though he has time to move right up there with the Best of the Best of patriots if he stays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

No love for Vinatieri?  By the way, has anyone taken #4 since he left?  Seems #12 isn't the only jersey that will be retired.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm just not interested in the Patriots before Kraft.  I grew up with them, sorry broke loser team that they were, and just didn't care.  I got interested about the time Parcells showed up, but really got on board after Kiam and Orthwein bailed and Kraft came in.  Loved them ever since.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

Sorry for you Dave,

You missed some great teams, 76-80, 84-86, you may have not liked the owner, but the players were awesome.. (cheating Raiders cost us a superbowl in 76). Len Dawson going down with an injury(cheap shot if you saw the game) and little girl eason , make the 85 season end badly, would have liked to see that game with Grogan starting and Len Dawson not having his knee taken out by Dent.
    78 team, best rushing team in the history of the game, 3,100+ yards, 4 players rushing for 500+ yards, one of them the QB...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Thomas Jefferson

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

TFB or BB?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

Look guys, you can't mention all-time great Patriots players without mentioning Drew Bledsoe.  He helped give us credibility after years of bottom-feeding.  He played hurt, played tough, was classy and a real franchise quarterback.
    He went to 3 ProBowls, led the Pats to the Super Bowl and 4 playoff appearances.  Let's not forget his performance in the 2002 AFC Championship game when he came in and led the Pats to the win and a trip to the Super Bowl.  They brought in a ton of guys to build around him, like McGinest, Law, Johnson, Bruschi, Milloy, Glenn, Martin, etc. 
    Plus, you can't discount the great contributions of guys like Bruschi, Vinatieri, Flutie (yes I'm serious), Tippett, Nelson, Armstrong, Coates, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Greatest Patriot:
    [QUOTE]Sorry for you Dave, You missed some great teams, 76-80, 84-86, you may have not liked the owner, but the players were awesome.. (cheating Raiders cost us a superbowl in 76). Len Dawson going down with an injury(cheap shot if you saw the game) and little girl eason , make the 85 season end badly, would have liked to see that game with Grogan starting and Len Dawson not having his knee taken out by Dent. 78 team, best rushing team in the history of the game, 3,100+ yards, 4 players rushing for 500+ yards, one of them the QB...
    Posted by jjbag[/QUOTE]

I wasn't even alive for any of those teams and watching youtube footage of the 76 "roughing" call against Hamilton made me scream.  For any young fans that don't know much about the 76 team all you need to know is that BB once referred to them as "loaded" and a "who's who team".  Should give you an idea of how stacked they were.

On a different note I obviously am not an expert, but even if Grogan had started and Dawson doesn't go out do you think the outcome would have been different?  I find that hard to believe, but I'm curious to hear your perspective or anyone else's that was alive at the time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

overlooked?  Gotta be Mack Heron.

You gotta have #42 on there.  He was incredible, all pupose guy.  Set the record for all purpose yards if I'm not remembering incorrectly.

The best patriot ever?  I'd say Troy Brown - he typified the "patriot way"

And let's not forget Tim Fox, Mike Haynes, Lawrence Clayborn - those were some great DBs.  If we had those guys now - it would be a guaranteed SB

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Patriot : I wasn't even alive for any of those teams and watching youtube footage of the 76 "roughing" call against Hamilton made me scream.  For any young fans that don't know much about the 76 team all you need to know is that BB once referred to them as "loaded" and a "who's who team".  Should give you an idea of how stacked they were. On a different note I obviously am not an expert, but even if Grogan had started and Dawson doesn't go out do you think the outcome would have been different?  I find that hard to believe, but I'm curious to hear your perspective or anyone else's that was alive at the time.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

I'll answer that, I do believe it would have been different if Len Dawson didnt go out, that team was a running team, Dawson was the flywheel that it ran on with his crack back blocks, once he went down the back up Ramsey was an HBack not a tight end, he missed every blocking assignment from the moment Dawson went down. Even if Eason played the game, with Dawson it would have been a different outcome, may be we still lost , by a little, but i'm thinking with out the fumbles and interceptions that team had a chance with Dawson. Ramsey was a horrible back up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Seriously Mike Haynes knocked out in the first round??? THE FIRST ROUND!!!!!  You yougins have alot to learn.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Any doubt?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Patriot : I wasn't even alive for any of those teams and watching youtube footage of the 76 "roughing" call against Hamilton made me scream.  For any young fans that don't know much about the 76 team all you need to know is that BB once referred to them as "loaded" and a "who's who team".  Should give you an idea of how stacked they were. On a different note I obviously am not an expert, but even if Grogan had started and Dawson doesn't go out do you think the outcome would have been different?  I find that hard to believe, but I'm curious to hear your perspective or anyone else's that was alive at the time.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

If Morgan caught Eason's pass on the numbers for a TD (instead of settling for a FG), and if Blackmon held on to McMahon's flat pass for the int, and possibly went all the way, the resulting 14-0 lead might well have made it much more of a game.

As it was, early mistakes (jitters) doomed them. They had just beaten Miami (the only team to beat the Bears) to get to the SB. With our A game and some luck we might have won. But with our D game that phenomenal team humiliated us.

Eason gets a lot of crap about that game, but look at CHFF's piece on Hannah in that SB and it's easy to see that Eason had a ton of company in playing downright horribly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Brady is far and away the greatest Patriot ever. If you think there is a question about that, you have discovered you're a fool.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]No love for Vinatieri?  By the way, has anyone taken #4 since he left?  Seems #12 isn't the only jersey that will be retired.
    Posted by mighty2012[/QUOTE]

We're talking about football players, not kickers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry for you Dave, You missed some great teams, 76-80, 84-86, you may have not liked the owner, but the players were awesome.. (cheating Raiders cost us a superbowl in 76). Len Dawson going down with an injury(cheap shot if you saw the game) and little girl eason , make the 85 season end badly, would have liked to see that game with Grogan starting and Len Dawson not having his knee taken out by Dent. 78 team, best rushing team in the history of the game, 3,100+ yards, 4 players rushing for 500+ yards, one of them the QB...
    Posted by jjbag[/QUOTE]

Right. ESPECIALLY that '76 team. They not only beat almost every really good team in the league during the regular season, they were the only team I saw in that decade to out physical the Steel Curtain. They beat them that year on bute force alone. And they beat the eventual SB winners Oakland something like 41-17. And the only reason they didn't make the SB was because of not 1 but 2 incredibly poor calls (well, one was a non call) near the end of the playiff game agasint Oakland. The roughing the passer call is the best remembered and (except for Oakland fans) generally accepted as a truly bad call. But ehre was the no call of pass intereference on LB Phil Villapiano agasint Russ Francis on a critical third down play just before the Raiders got the ball for their last chance. Even Villapiano admitted years later that he had clearly interfered (he pinned Francis' arms before the ball got to the receiver). That '76 team was a really great team to see and to root for.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I was sorry to see Jim Nance fall out of this so early. He could have been in the HOF if he had not had knee injuries. It would also have been better for him if he ahd played for a good team. He was very big, very powerful (could really move the pile) and had good top end speed. Late in his career, agasint the Jets, I saw him run a sweep (a 250 pound plus back running a sweep). He turned it upfield and accelerated. He outran DBs as he flew to the endzone.

I was shocked to see Sam Cunningham fall out so early too. He was a great inside runner, truly great power, could also develop some speed if given some space to accelerate, was a good receiver and one of the best RB blockers of his era (and maybe any era). He was tremendous in short yardage.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

1. Tom Brady

2. Everyone else

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I think these things would be better if it was not best player but best by position - as if you were putting together a starting lineup. Same thing for Red Sox voting....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I was sorry to see Jim Nance fall out of this so early. He could have been in the HOF if he had not had knee injuries. It would also have been better for him if he ahd played for a good team. He was very big, very powerful (could really move the pile) and had good top end speed. Late in his career, agasint the Jets, I saw him run a sweep (a 250 pound plus back running a sweep). He turned it upfield and accelerated. He outran DBs as he flew to the endzone. I was shocked to see Sam Cunningham fall out so early too. He was a great inside runner, truly great power, could also develop some speed if given some space to accelerate, was a good receiver and one of the best RB blockers of his era (and maybe any era). He was tremendous in short yardage.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

Nance was the Radatz of the Patriots. For a couple of years he was the best RB we have ever had. He was Czonka and Riggins plus. If he had lasted 10 years he would be in the Hall. RIP Big Jim.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]1. Tom Brady 2. Everyone else
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

ditto.

Sections
Shortcuts