Greed of Retired Players Threatening to Destroy Pro Football?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Greed of Retired Players Threatening to Destroy Pro Football?

No question that Pro Football is a violent game. No question that there's a higher risk on debilitating injury in football than perhaps any other sport, save perhaps boxing. No question that playing NFL football just about guarantees that a players will pay a continuing price, long after retirement.

BUT...what NFL player is completely ignorant of the risks involved? To quote the mythical North Dallas QB, Seth Maxwell, in the movie, North Dallas 40, "we're all a bunch of whoorrres". In other words, they know that when they sign up to play pro ball, that they are in essence "selling" and sacrificing their bodies, to get paid big money to play the game.

For years, retired NFL players have, with some justification, whined about how the league has forgotten them, when it comes to retirement and pension benefits. Now, could they be extracting their revenge by participating in the avalanche of lawsuits over concussions, against the league? WR Roddy White of the Atlanta Falcons believed this to be the case...despite his lip service about how he loves the retired players, and naivety about how the NFL can afford to pay off on all these suits:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828f9ef1/article/roddy-white-insists-former-players-killing-our-game?module=HP11_content_stream

The truth of the matter is that, should the trial lawyers get their way through the courts, and the retired players score big, more and more retired players will pile on. As a result, there's a good chance that the game of pro football, as we know it, will be severly altered, or be discontinued all together.         

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: Greed of Retired Players Threatening to Destroy Pro Football?

Bout time the little guy (retired players) gave the NFL the come-uppance it deserves. They've been kicked to the curb for so many years it is pathetic. 

The NFL won't die because of the law suit or the lawyers. Contrary to the popular belief, the lawyers want to get paid and they won't if they kill the league. 

Just more anti-working stiff rhetoric.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

In Response to Greed of Retired Players Threatening to Destroy Pro Football?:
    [QUOTE]     No question that Pro Football is a violent game. No question that there's a higher risk on debilitating injury in football than perhaps any other sport, save perhaps boxing. No question that playing NFL football just about guarantees that a players will pay a continuing price, long after retirement.      BUT...what NFL player is completely ignorant of the risks involved? To quote the mythical North Dallas QB, Seth Maxwell, in the movie, North Dallas 40, "we're all a bunch of whoorrres". In other words, they know that when they sign up to play pro ball, that they are in essence "selling" and sacrificing their bodies, to get paid big money to play the game.      For years, retired NFL players have, with some justification, whined about how the league has forgotten them, when it comes to retirement and pension benefits. Now, could they be extracting their revenge by participating in the avalanche of lawsuits over concussions, against the league? WR Roddy White of the Atlanta Falcons believed this to be the case...despite his lip service about how he loves the retired players, and naivety about how the NFL can afford to pay off on all these suits:   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828f9ef1/article/roddy-white-insists-former-players-killing-our-game?module=HP11_content_stream      The truth of the matter is that, should the trial lawyers get their way through the courts, and the retired players score big, more and more retired players will pile on. As a result, there's a good chance that the game of pro football, as we know it, will be severly altered, or be discontinued all together.         
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

In Response to Greed of Retired Players Threatening to Destroy Pro Football?:
    [QUOTE]     No question that Pro Football is a violent game. No question that there's a higher risk on debilitating injury in football than perhaps any other sport, save perhaps boxing. No question that playing NFL football just about guarantees that a players will pay a continuing price, long after retirement.      BUT...what NFL player is completely ignorant of the risks involved? To quote the mythical North Dallas QB, Seth Maxwell, in the movie, North Dallas 40, "we're all a bunch of whoorrres". In other words, they know that when they sign up to play pro ball, that they are in essence "selling" and sacrificing their bodies, to get paid big money to play the game.      For years, retired NFL players have, with some justification, whined about how the league has forgotten them, when it comes to retirement and pension benefits. Now, could they be extracting their revenge by participating in the avalanche of lawsuits over concussions, against the league? WR Roddy White of the Atlanta Falcons believed this to be the case...despite his lip service about how he loves the retired players, and naivety about how the NFL can afford to pay off on all these suits:   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828f9ef1/article/roddy-white-insists-former-players-killing-our-game?module=HP11_content_stream      The truth of the matter is that, should the trial lawyers get their way through the courts, and the retired players score big, more and more retired players will pile on. As a result, there's a good chance that the game of pro football, as we know it, will be severly altered, or be discontinued all together.         
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

If it wasn't for the old football players this NFL would still be behind baseball as the favorite sport of all time. If you can remember back they started out with leather helmets. The finally evolved into a safer and more contact sport. All they want is a health insurance plan that will provide for them and their family. The billion dollar NFL can't or won't give it to them?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Greed of Retired Players Threatening to Destroy Pro Football?:
    [QUOTE]If it wasn't for the old football players this NFL would still be behind baseball as the favorite sport of all time. If you can remember back they started out with leather helmets. The finally evolved into a safer and more contact sport. All they want is a health insurance plan that will provide for them and their family. The billion dollar NFL can't or won't give it to them?
    Posted by bobo354[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry as I love me some football, but people leave their jobs and are in dangerous professions all the time and get nothing... unless you call Cobra a benifit.  They also don't make millions a year.
    I understand they are finding more about concussions and lasting effects but the players know it's a violent sport when they sign up and should assume some responsibility.  It's not like they didn't know there was a risk of injury and extreme injury at that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Lets put it another way. Everybody but the non-star football players are making billions by basically killing the non-star football players before their time. All the while whispering in their ear "Yes Johnny, that can happen to you but you're special..."

I look at this like the Mesothelioma suit. You want to tell me the folks dying from asbestos exposure don't deserve any compensation?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Greed of Retired Players Threatening to Destroy Pro Football?:
    [QUOTE]Lets put it another way. Everybody but the non-star football players are making billions by basically killing the non-star football players before their time. All the while whispering in their ear "Yes Johnny, that can happen to you but you're special..." I look at this like the Mesothelioma suit. You want to tell me the folks dying from asbestos exposure don't deserve any compensation?
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

Big difference. With asbestos, it was thought to be safe and no danger of harm until years after it was used. 

Football is a violent sport. Anyone getting involved knows it's a violent sport and know the dangers before they enter (not concussions but they knew about life altering injures).

It's like trying to compare a demolish derby driver trying to sue his boss and a regular person suing ford when there tire flew off and the SUV flipped.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Lets put it another way. Everybody but the non-star football players are making billions by basically killing the non-star football players before their time. All the while whispering in their ear "Yes Johnny, that can happen to you but you're special..." I look at this like the Mesothelioma suit. You want to tell me the folks dying from asbestos exposure don't deserve any compensation?
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

Stop it! No one knew asbestos was dangereous til years after it was installed. Does that make the people who installed it libel? Of course not, unless it can be shown that knew about the dangers, and failed to inform. 

On the contrary, everybody knows that playing football can be extremely hazardous to ones' health. But, no one really knew how serious concussions were, including the NFL, until fairly recently. That will be the focal point of these lawsuits. Did the NFL know about the seriousness of concussions? Did the players know? Should they have known? Should the NFL had taken previous action to prevent concussions?

It is all the lawsuits and the concussion controversy that has spurred Roger Goodell's recent interest in players' safety...primarily the hitting a defenseless player penalties and fines, sky high fines and penalties for head-shots or for leading with the helmet, and the new kick-off rule.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

I empathize for the players who had their lives affected by football in a negative way. But if I was the judge I would not rule in the players behalf. I believe the players saw players before them with similar injuries. If they were unable to put two and two together and get four then belame the players, who went after the large contracts, not the owners.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

A BIG par tof the lawsuits is;

1) Not only the nation-wide ignorance about the long lasting effects of concussions, but also,

2) The league's apparent knowledge that there were more dangers than they let on, and then,

3) The horrible post-career insurance that is offered with more red tape than most people are used to, and finally,

4) The 401k plan that they can't get at until they are 59.5, when the average life expectancy of a former pro football player is 55.

The league, and more specifically, NFLPA need to do a MUCH better job of preventing injuries, and taking care of players with them after.

The biggest shame is that it took lawsuits to make changes and for people to get money they are entitled to. The NFLPA and league should have stepped up long ago to just "make things right". But, no, not in America where the almighty-dollar rules and corporations would rather pay lawyers to fight against paying anything than just pay what they should.

Watch "Blood Equity" if you need a little more insight into what some of these stars, and non-stars, have gone through post-playing, and the treatment they've gotten:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1510908/

Produced by Roman Phifer by the way.

It's much more than just players understanding they are playing a dangerous game. If any of us find out there were inherintly more risks than we were led to believe in our jobs, that is deserving of some kind of recourse.

Set up a GOOD insurance program, have entering rookies sign a waiver, and that's all that's needed going forward.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" with some justification, whined about how the league has forgotten them, when it comes to retirement and pension benefits. Now, could they be extracting their revenge by participating in th"

Whined? This may be your worst post ever. I'm disappointed in you Pat. I'm guessing you don't know much about living with brain damage and post concussions. I'm also guessing you don't know much about those who paid their dues (and did NOT make the kinds of salaries players are making today) who are struggling to get by. 

Has it ever occured to you if the Players Union looked out for these folks better they would be less like likey to sue? 

" I believe the players saw players before them with similar injuries."

How is that possible in the case of concusions and brain deterioriation due to them which plays out over decades? 

Yes, today's players know the all the risks. But yesterday's players didn't and many of them have been hung out to dry. 

Though if you only get your football news from the usual media outlets in sound bites you wouldn't understand this story.
    ":

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

now dragon has a very valid point. If the league knew more about concussions then they lead on to then the players have all the right in the world to sue.

I also believe, given the state of the league, better health care plans and better pensions for players who helped build the league but didn't get millionaire salaries is owed to them

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

This is the culture of the united states today, nobody can take responsibility for themselves. Blame everyone else. Maybe they should sue their parents for ever letting them play the game???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

the threat of nfl getting hit hard by this first wave of lawsuits is fairly real. i would not say the motivation for everyone in the lawsuit is greed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

There are now 180 retired players who have filed suits, and counting: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/11/three-more-concussion-cases-filed/

Be sure to skim through the fan comments to this article. Some of them are interesting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

Wow... sorry but this is a total joke.
    And here is why......Put in very simple easy to understand terms!

Freedom of Choice!

It supercedes ANY and ALL matters relivant to playing in the NFL.

NO ONE forced any of these players into this work enviorment..period

Regardless of wether more information was known by the league, the individual player has to be a total MORON to think he may or won't be hurt playing football. And for anyone to resort back to 20 or 50 years ago is totally ridiculous.

Just because you worked for someone thats a millionaire or billionaire doesnt mean they owe yo for the rest of your life.

This is nothing more than an attempt by the losers to try and extort money because they were too inept to take care of themselves in life and business and now want something for free.

And to those that keep saying,  well they helped build the NFl and they deserve it, please get a clue. By your way of thinking then, every college kid that played football should get compensation as well, hey why not, for that matter I bought an official NFL football, I should get compensation as well.

Hey with that way of thinking why shouldnt everyones x-spouse come along 25 years later and you have to buy them a new house and car, I mean after all without them you would be nothing right?

Now, do you see where this way of thinking leads to? Yell
    They were paid, the jobs over, move on!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I would think any players that suffer the effects of prior concussions should sue the perpetrators of said concussions - other players. Or did the owners take the field and body slam them on their head?

What's next, veterans will sue the defense department because war causes injury?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]4) The 401k plan that they can't get at until they are 59.5, when the average life expectancy of a former pro football player is 55.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I am happy that more attention is being paid to player safety.  That said, the life expectancy of former NFL players is still being studied.  The NFLPA has put the figure in the 55-59 year range, but they have an inherent bias in anything they say. 
    Here is one recent contrarian point of view from an independent source (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) that actually says NFL players may live longer than the general population.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-05-08/Study-shows-NFL-players-live-longer/54847564/1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greed of Retired Players Threatening to Destroy Pro Football? :      Stop it! No one knew asbestos was dangereous til years after it was installed.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

One realy unfortunate and sad point is, the dangers of asbestos were known for many year before it was phased out of use. The cost of a suitable replacement and removal and eradication were so prohibitive that it took many years to implement. And to this day massive amounts of capitol are invested each and every year for its eradication. And guess what it is still used in what is deemed suitable amounts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Clearly a volatile topic.  A few points that I'd like to make:

1 - Actually the people of the United States through their federal government do have the responsibility for taking care of service members and former service members injured in this most dangerous of occupations.  The Veterans Administration, although hardly perfect by any stretch, has the lead here.  I can assure you I knew long before I signed on the dotted line that military service was dangerous. That doesn't mean that I didn't expect (and had every right to do so) that were I injured in the line of duty that I would be afforded medical care and compensated for my injuries.

2 - Football players, like any other group of employees, do not have total freedom of choice if they wish to remain employed.  Coaches for decades, not necessarily with negligent intent, have pressured players to return to the playing field when injured.  Coaches have traditionally valued players who have played hurt. 

3 - The NFLPA has, since its inception, focused its attention on current players clearly at the behest of its membership.  I would assert that they bear some responsibility for participating in some resolution of this issue.

4 - The owners, like it or not, are the employers and, like it or not, employers bear responsibility for the injuries incurred by their employees on the job.  Electrical power companies are not held harmless for injuries to employees just because the employee knew that working with electricity can be dangerous.  Certainly the level of knowledge with respect to the long term effects of concusions will bear on this matter but the owners have to be part of the solution.

Is a lawsuit the answer?  If it serves to place the matter in proper focus, then yes.  I suspect that, in the long run, there will be something worked out that inovles the NFLPA and the owners that will assist former players without harming the league in any material way.

My 2 cents.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greed of Retired Players Threatening to Destroy Pro Football? : One realy unfortunate and sad point is, the dangers of asbestos were known for many year before it was phased out of use. The cost of a suitable replacement and removal and eradication were so prohibitive that it took many years to implement. And to this day massive amounts of capitol are invested each and every year for its eradication. And guess what it is still used in what is deemed suitable amounts.
    Posted by part-timer[/QUOTE]

Well...if the dangers were known by the owners only, of the buildings containing it, and these owners kept this knowledge hidden from the occupants, the occupants likely would have a case. 

The same holds true for the concussion suits. If the owners only were aware about the dangers, and kept this knowledge from the players, than the players would seem to have a case.

But...don't you think that the players knew at least something of the risks involved, whenever they strapped on their helmet and pads?   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE].... Freedom of Choice! It supercedes ANY and ALL matters relivant to playing in the NFL. NO ONE forced any of these players into this work enviorment..period Regardless of wether more information was known by the league, the individual player has to be a total MORON to think he may or won't be hurt playing football. And for anyone to resort back to 20 or 50 years ago is totally ridiculous...
    Posted by Stommpper[/QUOTE]

Yep. However, that choice should not limited to whether they play in the NFL or not. They could have also made choices on how much risk and which risks they take on the field. Players for example will make spur of the moment decisions to protect themselves from neck injury or even leg injury.

The players could claim that they were led to believe that the helmets protected from long term health issues. They could say they played a certain way because of that. If the NFL knew more than they were led to believe then the issue stems from the players not being given the information to make their choices on the field.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greed of Retired Players Threatening to Destroy Pro Football? : Yep. However, that choice should not limited to whether they play in the NFL or not. They could have also made choices on how much risk and which risks they take on the field. Players for example will make spur of the moment decisions to protect themselves from neck injury or even leg injury. The players could claim that they were led to believe that the helmets protected from long term health issues. They could say they played a certain way because of that. If the NFL knew more than they were led to believe then the issue stems from the players not being given the information to make their choices on the field.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

You see, this is where the "GREY" Area falls into place.

First and foremost, when you sign a contract of employment, you agree to the terms disclosed by that said contract of employer, or by the entitlemnts listed in the Job description.

As for safety, OSHA has federal regulations in place that cover all businesses in the USA, the NFL included. Facts of actions by OSHA againts the NFL are easy to find if you google it.

These lawsuits are nothing more than bogus and a total disgrace. There isnt a kid out there that would turn down an NFL contract for millions of dollars, period!

For the last 40 years there wasnt a player selected by the NFl that didnt understand that they coudl get hurt, would be hurt, and would be affected in the long term.... Please, they knew that boxing in the 1920's caused serious brain trama and  issues later on in life and its well written about.

As for the other person in this blog that stated NFL players are forced to play while injured, that is not only ridiculous but absurd. If any of you have a job and decided your not going to work that week, you will face some form of disclipline or possible termination. If your claim is legitimate and you have a doctors note you are usually excused.

The problem is, Players too many times take cheap shots, unnecessary takles, or reckless actions to stand out above the others, many times resulting in harm to themselves or others.
    How many of you as fans cant wait to see that nasty hit that floors the other guy? Espically when special teams are on the field?
    Sorry but too many times the fault of injury lies with the athlete themselves and NO one wants to take the blame so they blame the boss.

Quick footnote for you.... RUGBY or the NHL

Both these sports have vicious hits many times far worse tha the NFL
    How many law suits have you seen by the players of now or past with these types bogus lawsuits thrown at their boss?

Sorry but this is nothing more than a scam hedged by the players and the attorneys to extort money from the NFL that gave them a job.

For you sue happy guys, go into yoru work place, slam your hand on the table and shout out your going to sue for long term ailments, and ask for others to join you, see how far that gets you.

The players make more than enough for what they do, if they contnue to pursue bogus lawsuits then contracts will be radically altered at which point they will wish they never brought any of this nonsense up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

[QUOTE]Clearly a volatile topic.  A few points that I'd like to make: 1 - Actually the people of the United States through their federal government do have the responsibility for taking care of service members and former service members injured in this most dangerous of occupations.  The Veterans Administration, although hardly perfect by any stretch, has the lead here.  I can assure you I knew long before I signed on the dotted line that military service was dangerous. That doesn't mean that I didn't expect (and had every right to do so) that were I injured in the line of duty that I would be afforded medical care and compensated for my injuries. I have 4 family members all living that are X-servce members. The people of the United States have NO legal commitment to Vetrans sorry. The United States Government does, and that is minimal at best. They decide which VA hospital you attend, and what you are compensated for and the extent of yoru benifits. My Uncle is deaf due to being a gunner, he pays half for his hearing aids and limited to 1 set per every 3 years. My cousin lost his left arm in a motor pool accident, he was given a prosthetic limb, and paid college training for 1 year for new job entitlemnt. Future prosthetic limbs he is responsible for half.
     2 - Football players, like any other group of employees, do not have total freedom of choice if they wish to remain employed.  Coaches for decades, not necessarily with negligent intent, have pressured players to return to the playing field when injured.  Coaches have traditionally valued players who have played hurt. You cannot be forced to do any such work or your employer would face a lawsuit. I would love to know which company you work for that forces you to work outside the job you were hired for or while you were actually injured. I have great legal friends in Boston that would love to hear your case. As for NFL players that choose to play while injured, many chose to do so or actually hide the injury itself.
      3 - The NFLPA has, since its inception, focused its attention on current players clearly at the behest of its membership.  I would assert that they bear some responsibility for participating in some resolution of this issue. The NFLPA is nothing more than a local Union sucking money out of its membership and leeching off of it. as with most Unions only protects the bottom feeders of the organization that without would be fired.
     4 - The owners, like it or not, are the employers and, like it or not, employers bear responsibility for the injuries incurred by their employees on the job.  Electrical power companies are not held harmless for injuries to employees just because the employee knew that working with electricity can be dangerous.  Certainly the level of knowledge with respect to the long term effects of concusions will bear on this matter but the owners have to be part of the solution.Here is clearly where you have no idea about labor Contracts and Obligations....
     First and foremost OSHA sets the standards of Federal regualtions for any and all buisness in the USA, it is up to the employer to go over these issues with said employee, post all legal materials in a free and open enviorment to  for all employees to see and lastly make available to all employees a copy of all said. It is the EMPLOYEES RESPONSIBILITY to read and carry out in a safe manner any and all work duties given and entitled to
    You speak fo the NFLPA.... why is it Helmets are an issue at this moment, but safety gear such as Hip Pads, Shin Pads, Elbow Pads, Rib protector pads Shoulder Pads, have all either shrunk in size or are not worn by individual players at all ??? Those Pads were there for a reason, and the PLAYERS are the ones electing for a smaller version or not wearing them at all. Are you going to tell us the owners are forcing them to do this also.

Is a lawsuit the answer?  If it serves to place the matter in proper focus, then yes.  I suspect that, in the long run, there will be something worked out that inovles the NFLPA and the owners that will assist former players without harming the league in any material way. My 2 cents.
    Lawsuits are never an answer, they are usually used to get money from one hand to the other, thats just the fact. No matter how you build a helmet, contact will NEVER prevent the brain from smashing into the interior wall of the skull past a certain speed comming to an abrupt halt, that is a fact from lawsuits against the Automobile industry for the last 30 years.
    When you have overzealous players that want to do harm to others,aka LArry Zonka, and others of that era up to this day, no matter what you wear you will have injuries. Once again the only ones that will prevail from all this are the Lawyers.
    Have a great day!
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts