Green-Ellis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangr76. Show dangr76's posts

Green-Ellis

Am I the only one surprised that nobody really seems to be talking about Green-Ellis?  Talk about underrated.  I have read comments that the Pats need to sign a RB with their draft pick next year or go out and sign a high profile guy in free agency............why?   He has 9 TD's in 11 games this year and that includes the first two games of the year in which he didn't start and the Cleveland game where the Pats got behind and had to throw it more.  So, if you throw out the first two games and overlook the Cleveland game he really has 9 TD's in 8 games  He's not flashy but he runs hard and runs straight down hill.  He does have moves side to side but he isn't afraid to lower his head and run with the pile.  I love this kid and I really hope the Pats hold onto him.  He's even starting to catch the ball too which makes him more valuable.  He is averaging 4.3 yds per carry and this might be the biggest stat...........ZERO FUMBLES!!!!!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Re: Green-Ellis

good post. Agree with you totally. Also, you hear he is a humble,hard working guy who really fits the Patriots way.Love to see him do well!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from laynard. Show laynard's posts

In Response to Green-Ellis:
    Am I the only one surprised that nobody really seems to be talking about Green-Ellis?  Talk about underrated.  I have read comments that the Pats need to sign a RB with their draft pick next year or go out and sign a high profile guy in free agency............why?   He has 9 TD's in 11 games this year and that includes the first two games of the year in which he didn't start and the Cleveland game where the Pats got behind and had to throw it more.  So, if you throw out the first two games and overlook the Cleveland game he really has 9 TD's in 8 games  He's not flashy but he runs hard and runs straight down hill.  He does have moves side to side but he isn't afraid to lower his head and run with the pile.  I love this kid and I really hope the Pats hold onto him.  He's even starting to catch the ball too which makes him more valuable.  He is averaging 4.3 yds per carry and this might be the biggest stat...........ZERO FUMBLES!!!!!! 
    Posted by dangr76

BJGE has been unbelievable, and there's no reason to think he won't keep getting better. He'll end up close to 1,000 yards this year with double-digit TD's, with the RB play we've had here the last few years fans should be jumping for joy instead of looking for his replacement. All we need to do is add a complimentary speed back and the RB position is set with Woody as 3DRB. No need to draft a back high anymore thanks to Benny.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Am I the only one surprised that nobody really seems to be talking about Green-Ellis?  Talk about underrated.  I have read comments that the Pats need to sign a RB with their draft pick next year or go out and sign a high profile guy in free agency............why?   ... 

Posted by dangr76

I agree, I'm a believer. But I'm not a believer in the concept of a franchise back. He's adequate for this offense, maybe a bit better than that. But you need more than one guy because of the violence involved in playing the position.  I know everybody wants a Peyton Hillis type, which would be great, but I'd like to see them find a Jamaal Charles type speed guy. But note that none of these guys was a high draft pick. Charles was a third rounder and Hillis was a 7th.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

dangr76, I am a big Ellis fan.  I think we will extend him. I think he will play well for years to come.  I think the reason people want a high pick spent on a RB is because Ellis is not a "home run" threat at all.  PLUS the rest of our RB crew is 30+ and done after this year.  If we grab a quality young RB and extend Ellis we can carry 4 RBs, not 5 and add depth elsewhere. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Green-Ellis:
    In Response to Green-Ellis : BJGE has been unbelievable, and there's no reason to think he won't keep getting better. He'll end up close to 1,000 yards this year with double-digit TD's, with the RB play we've had here the last few years fans should be jumping for joy instead of looking for his replacement. All we need to do is add a complimentary speed back and the RB position is set with Woody as 3DRB. No need to draft a back high anymore thanks to Benny.
    Posted by laynard

Hey laynard, I'm with you. I've been saying that Woody and BJGE just need a complimentary RB with them for a while now but I'm not thinking a speed guy. I'm thinking more of a Morris replacement, being a power back for short yards and can line up as a FB when needed for BJGE. I see Woody more as the quick shifty RB and BJGE as the all around RB but we've been missing that big bruising back for a while now

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

He has been super clutch. Have loved him for a couple years glad he got the shot to become the starter. Next year we do need to bring someone in though or draft a running back . Taylor and Morris will def. NOT be with the pats next year. Also possibly faulk too with the emergence and contract extension of woody basically taking over faulks role, and who knows how he will recover from the injury. Were basically going to have three first rounders with carolina as bad as they are with alot of other picks. I personally like picking a top RB up late first or one of our seconds. wouldnt mind a top DE to put pressure on the qb, and would love to have julio jones, or AJ green. with Warren and Bodden back next year with Mccourty,Merriweather and Chung playing like they are in the secondary big Vince and Mayo spikes in his second year wow imagine the possibilites.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

As for why, I would say there are several backs that would play ahead of BJGE just based on skill alone in the AFC east. A healthy Fred Taylor would be one of them.  Which backs would you rather have over BJGE? I'd take two from Miami, one from the Jets, and so on. I'd definitely like to have Fred Jackson over BJGE. I mean, an old LT is better catching the ball out of the backfield than BJGE and is also more explosive.

BJGE is basically Antowain Smith, and I think there are backs out there who can do more for the offense. I'm hoping they pick up a Matt Forte type back who is a threat on all three downs and can break some long runs.

I don't want to sound pessimistic. He is a great fit for the Pats and is making the most out of his opportunities, but this is probably as good as he'll get and opposing teams aren't losing sleep trying to stop him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I'm sure people will try to crap on me for my A Smith comparison, but ask yourself how many 1000 yard years Smith had. He won a superbowl with them in 2001. A great career for his ability level. 

Again, BJGE is a great fit now but if BB hits on a drafting a RB early then the O may have a new dimension. Right now nobody is worried about a 40 yard run from BJGE.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

To tell you the truth I've liked only having Benny. Last year watching one back get hot then sent to the bench just for the sake of letting someone else get touches was killing me. I also would say Sammy has a little higher gear than Benny and he's not got the nod for some reason. I say let me on the BENNY train.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

BENNY LAW FIRM   Attempts  145     Attempts per game avg 13.2   yards 627  AVG 4.3  yards per game avg  57

here's a link look up your guy

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangr76. Show dangr76's posts

dangr76, I am a big Ellis fan.  I think we will extend him. I think he will play well for years to come.  I think the reason people want a high pick spent on a RB is because Ellis is not a "home run" threat at all.  PLUS the rest of our RB crew is 30+ and done after this year.  If we grab a quality young RB and extend Ellis we can carry 4 RBs, not 5 and add depth elsewhere. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

I can see what your saying but they don't really need a home run threat.  I think since he has played so well it has opened up the passing game, especially with Moss gone.  Granted, having an LT or someone like that in their prime would be crazy and the Pats could top their record setting year from a few years ago but that is tough to get.  They are far and few between and I just think Green-Ellis really fits their team mentality.  He hasn't hurt me fantasy wise either!  :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i agree that Green Ellis has been great for this team this yr..every game i find myself saying "wow this guy is good!!" not to mention he doesnt fumble (KOW) i think we can grab a Power back in the draft (ex - Clay from Wisconsin) and then we have the all around in BJGE, the speed and shiftyness in DWH, then the PB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I like BJGE. He runs very well up the middle. His weakness, however, is that so far at least, he hasn't shown the speed to get outside and turn the corner.  That makes him a bit limited as a primary back.  If Taylor is healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the game this week, just to give us a bit more of an outside running threat against a Jets defense that can clog the middle and has the speed to defend the edges as well. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Posted by dangr76

We don't need to sign another back because somethings wrong with BJGE we need to sign another back because he's the only reliable one we have. What happens if he get hurts? Taylor will be gone after this season and if Morris is still around it will be more for his special teams skills than his back skills. As much as I love Woodhead he'll never be an every play back.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Posted by dangr76

Ah, crap, dangr76, being the superstitious sort I am, I have deliberately refrained from posting this, fearing the inevitable jinx that will come.

Couldn't you have waited until after Jets' week (LOL)???

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I'm sure people will try to crap on me for my A Smith comparison, but ask yourself how many 1000 yard years Smith had. He won a superbowl with them in 2001. A great career for his ability level.  Again, BJGE is a great fit now but if BB hits on a drafting a RB early then the O may have a new dimension. Right now nobody is worried about a 40 yard run from BJGE.
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

I think Antowain Smith is a good comparison, both good not great backs.  I must correct you though, they won two SBs with Smith as the feature back, not one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

If you saw his TD run in Detroit where he just pushed the back into the end zone ahead of him, I think that says it all.  Talk about desire for the end zone.  I like this guy, I always have and I too do not understand why so many so-called fans posting here say no, we need a marquee back.  Uh, for what?  We have a running game and both of its components are young enough to be here for years.  They run the ball and they catch it out of the backfield setting up the all important play action passes. 

Now the O-line going forward may be of some concern as it regards the running game.  We'll see next season, whenever that's going to be.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbruce9. Show sbruce9's posts

If you saw his TD run in Detroit where he just pushed the back into the end zone ahead of him, I think that says it all.  Talk about desire for the end zone.  I like this guy, I always have and I too do not understand why so many so-called fans posting here say no, we need a marquee back.  Uh, for what?  We have a running game and both of its components are young enough to be here for years.  They run the ball and they catch it out of the backfield setting up the all important play action passes.  Now the O-line going forward may be of some concern as it regards the running game.  We'll see next season, whenever that's going to be.
    Posted by Dessalines

I agree.  When you have 2 backs averaging over 4 yards/carry it isn't necessary to look for a marquee back.  Its nice to have a highlight reel 60 yard TD run from time to time, but it isn't necessary.  The 2 backs we currently have are capable enough to set up play action, so they fulfill their role well enough.  I really liked watching BJGE drag a couple of Lion defenders 2.5 yards and into the endzone for the TD.  It's much more enjoyable to watch, unlike the Laurence Maroney fumbles at the 1 yard line.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

If the Pats want to be a dominant team next year they MUST improve their RB corps...  BJGE could be a very nice # 2 back.

They need to draft 1 RB and get 1 in FA... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Duh! My bad. It's terrible that I forgot that. That Panthers superbowl was great.

In Response to Re: Green-Ellis : I think Antowain Smith is a good comparison, both good not great backs.  I must correct you though, they won two SBs with Smith as the feature back, not one.
    Posted by Muzwell

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Duh! My bad. It's terrible that I forgot that. That Panthers superbowl was great. In Response to Re: Green-Ellis :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Understandable, they didn't have a great running game in 2003 and Smith wasn't as much of a factor as he was in '01. 

One difference between Smith and BJGE is the pedigree.  Smith was a first round pick and thought to be a franchise back when he came out of college and turned out to be more of an average guy, whereas BJGE was undrafted.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Go law firm!!!! and ZERO fumbles!!!!!! I still am unable to also grasp having an NFL running back that is 5'8" (or less!!!!)- Woody

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Go law firm!!!! and ZERO fumbles!!!!!! I still am unable to also grasp having an NFL running back that is 5'8" (or less!!!!)- Woody
    Posted by jaycee1m

Maurice Jones Drew is one of the best there is and he's listed at just 5'7".

Sections
Shortcuts